Trappist Westvleteren 8 (VIII) - Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren)

Trappist Westvleteren 8 (VIII)Trappist Westvleteren 8 (VIII)

Wants: 1,369
Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) visit their website

Dubbel |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-03-2001

(Blue Cap)
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappist Westvleteren 8 (VIII) Alström Bros
Reviews: 783 | Hads: 1,945
4.33/5  rDev -3.3%

On to the 8.

Pours a dark clear brown with a thin creme head. Nose is Chalky malts. Flavor is malty thick. Sugar tones are there as well. Feel is fairly vibrant on carbonation (much more than the 12) and the liquid is smooth. This is a nice beer, but I think I have come to the decision that the Westy brews are a class of their own. Unique and unlike anything else around. I am glad to have been able to try them, but they are a bit too unusual...even for my palate.

P.S. I appreciated this one more than the 12.

4.23/5  rDev -5.6%

Impressive head that lasts a very long time. Chunky lace on the glass. Dark, dark brown color. Very cloudy.

Strong malty presence without any sweetness.

Sweet with an excellent light hop balance. Very easy to drink. Deceptive on the alcohol--it's well hidden. Rich body but it also has a very high level of carbonation.

This is a very easy-to-drink Trappist beer. I prefer it to the 12.

4.67/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured from a 0.33L bottle into my Duvel tulip. Cap is dated 27.1.13.

a - Pours a mahogany brown color with 2 fingers of off white head that has great tention. The head lasted for several minutes and left some nice lacing on the glass. Moderate carbonation and a little bit of sediment evident.

s - Smells of Belgian yeast, spices, dark fruit, especially raisins and plums, light sweet fruity malts, and bready malts. Also a little brown sugar. Smells like a great dubbel.

t - Tastes of dark fruit, bready malts, Belgian yeast, spices, and alcohol.Still very good, but a step down from the smell.

m - Medium body and low carbonation. The body is very creamy and smooth; it's perfect.

d - Overall I thought this was an amazing dubbel. I thought it looked and smelled amazing, and the mouthfeel was perfect. While I think the taste was very enjoyable, it was probably the weakest part of this beer. I would have liked a little less alcohol in the taste. That being said the taste is still great, it's just that the smell and mouthfeel are pretty much perfect. Would love to get some more of this.

4.9/5  rDev +9.4%

Body is a perfect ruddy brown, eggplantish, edging on violet, lovely, rich and full color, and the head is large, slowly to simmer down, off-whitish.

Aroma : good Lord, it's perfect, rich and raisiny, strong, spicy, very lively, ...what are they mixing in those monasteries? It's a magical bouquet, is what I say!Oh,to sniff it anew is another pleasure, and now, I can't hold back, it's time to drink the damned thing!

I've raved about the works of the brothers of St. Sixtus before, but GOOD GOD JESUS!!! This is mystifying, uplifting, magical, amazing! Can I be more specific? No...Energizing is the best adjective, the beer is so lively it makes everything it comes in contact with livelier!

This apparently belongs to the style "Belgian Abbey Dubbel", but on consuming 1/2 of one small bottle, I know now that this beer puts all the others to shame! There is fruit, and dazzling hops, and malt, and tantalizing texture, but the thing that sets this apart, if there is such a thing, is unknowable.
I had a Belgian Abbey Dubbel tonight from a very reputable source, and it was nice, but not magical.
This ..this ...it transports ones senses to new realms, higher planes of appreciation! If I'm getting lofty, forgive me, please, but know that every word is true..I don't know how they do what they do, but they do! This is the ultimate!
I'm joining the cloister, too, if means getting close to beer this fine and lovely!
Here's to all the monks, toiling for our sins, and crafting this exceptional, gorgeous, transcendental work!

4.49/5  rDev +0.2%

Review #100 - to celebrate I opened a Westy 8 that has a best before date of August 28th, 1999 - meaning it was likely bottled in 1996. I've kept in mind the ridiculous age on this brew (it's the oldest thing I've ever had) and I'll likely append to the review after I drink a fresh one. Served in a goblet.

A - Good foam for such an old brew! One-finger of light tan head that dissipates fairly quickly and leaves a tiny bit of lace. The beer itself is a murky brown color with a tinge of orange. Surprisingly free of solids.

S - Wow! This is so complex that I don't even know where to start. Apples, cherries, grapes, plums, raisins - very fruity, but also vinous with a white wine element to it. There's still a good malt backbone with caramel flavors in it. It is unbelievable that a Dubbel smells this good after so long.

T - The malt and caramel flavors come out more in the taste, but there's still a lot of fruit juice characteristics present - grapes, plums, and raisins to be specific. There's also a smoky/woody tinge to the taste that wasn't present in the smell.

M - Very smooth, with a good medium-bodied viscosity. Surprisingly there is still a little carbonation tingle present after all these years. Leaves a slightly sticky feeling after swallowing.

D - This beer was very, very, sweet and the flavor was extremely intense. While it otherwise didn't have anything to detract from its drinkability (carbonation was fine, not too boozy, etc.) the experience was so exhausting that I think having more than one of these would be utterly ridiculous. I'd also have incredible guilt over consuming more than one bottle.

I was quite worried when I decided to open this - it could easily have been utterly foul - but this beer has aged remarkably well. I suspect it'd score a little better earlier in its life (particularly in the appearance and mouthfeel categories), but I'm very glad to have been lucky enough to score such an ancient bottle - gives me hope for the 1980s Westy ABT and Westy 6 I have kicking around.

4.47/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours hazy brown with a thin tan head.

The smell is powerful - I could smell it at some distance away. Fruity (peaches?) and brandy-like. Caramel/toffee comes through strongly.

The taste is complex - mix of fruits - from peaches to dark fruits. Caramel/toffee, leaning towards chocolatey maltiness. Some spicy/woody/nutty notes blend in well. Brandy-ish. Finishes with a spicy, woody dryness. Nicely textured.

Easy to drink, esp. for abv level. Quite a bit to savor and contemplate with each sip. A great brew (though I'm not sure that it hits third highest, IMO).

Thanks to nacir69 for ascertaining this classic, hard-to-find brew for me!

4.42/5  rDev -1.3%

Got a Westy 8. Served in a Chimay goblet (at least its a Trappist glass). Thick fine brown head. The head was great when I poured it and has lasted as I drink. The head leaves a nice lacing on the glass. The aroma is amazing. That great smell of Belgian yeast, like on the air. The carbonation is steady with tiny bubbles all over the outside of the glass. The mouthfeel is smooth, I could drink 10 of these in no time at all. The flavor is sweet and yeasty. It is a great example of a style that I am not usually thrilled with, dubbels. I really like this beer a lot. Its truly one of the great beers of the world.

4.55/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A: Dark brown color with a two finger, thick foamy head, off-white in color. Nice retention reducing to a nice cap on top. Rings of lacing form all around.

S: Very nice aroma, plenty of dark fruits that are mixed with brown sugar and a bit of molasses, some plums, raisins, and fig. The Belgian yeast comes through as well. Slightly sweet.

T: Plenty of grapes, raisins, and plum up front mixed with a little bit of chocolate and sweetness in the middle. There is a bit of spice on the back end, some pepper mostly.

M: Medium bodied, very smooth and creamy with a nice level of carbonation.

O: The best dubbel I have had to date, and I don't imagine I will find one I like more. Great flavor profile and mouthfeel.

4.45/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Review from notes taken on 11/12/10. Bottle code of 12-5-13. A big thank you to Brabander for sending me this and giving me a chance to not only try this brew but share it with some friends.

Poured into a snifter, Westy 8 appears a faintly hazy amber brown color that displays some deep ruby hues and a yellowish tanned head. A finger's worth of creamy foam appears and recedes slowly clinging all around the glass with a webbing of patchy lace. A light swirl revives the head back to a finger's strength.

The smell of this brew is initially sweet and candy-like. In the background is a twinge of green yeastiness and some prevalent alcohol stings the nose but in a pleasant way. A light touch of earthy hops emerges taking this brew off in another direction.

The taste is again yeasty with a sort of green character showing the youth of this offering. There is an earthy mild bitterness and a smooth dark candy-like sweetness before the onset of the solid alcohol presence. The aftertaste is earthy, herbal and sort of dry and candy-like. The alcohol really has a solid character to this brew but it is quite unlike other belgians I have had. Very enjoyable.

This is a highly carbonated offering that somewhat exaggerates the alcohol with a sort of evaporative quality when it hits the tongue. It is medium bodied, super smooth and very drinkable. I have only had this brew on one other occasion and that experience was better than this one. Perhaps it was a bottle with a little bit of age on it. Regardless, a fantastic brew.

Bottle shared with drabmuh at my place recently. Review from notes.

Bottle cap dated 01.04.13

A: This trappist ale appears a dark brown color with a substantial head and generous amount of lacing on the glass. Looks very nice.

S: This beer begins to distance itself from other dubbels right away. The aroma is simply fantastic. The Belgian yeast component alone is one of the most inviting and delectable scents I have yet found in a beer.

T: The flavor is incredible. Toffee and caramels amongst the best Belgian yeast strain on the planet. I can't imagine a single way that this beer could possibly improve. So many flavors constantly developing on the palate, all flowing seamlessly together in a work of art, this is a sublime elixir. The conclusion of every drink begs for the onset of another.

M: The feel is yet another flawless aspect of this beer. It's so smooth, it feels like water, yet coats the palate with a myriad of wonderful flavors that evolve from the moment your nose initially detects the beer.

D: I could, and would, drink this beer very regularly, if only that were possible. This is a truly special beer and absolutely worthy of any and all praises.

4.36/5  rDev -2.7%

Poured from a 33cl bottle into my Westvleteren chalice. It poured a beautiful, murky, dark caramel color with a thick, frothy, cappuccino like head filling the top inch of the glass. Fantastic head retention to it and the sides of the glass were a solid sheet of lacing by the time I was done drinking it.

The aroma shows a lot of raisin to it along with some grape, plum and fig notes at times. I get a moderate amount of Belgian yeast spiciness coming through as well. It has a bit of a sweet, dark fruit boozeiness to it that adds some nice complexity. The aroma feels a bit on the sweet side at times, but overall a pretty nice aroma overall.

The taste starts off with some big malty flavors with some of the Belgian yeast spice coming through. It starts to get a lot sweeter midway with some of those booze soaked raisin, plum and fig flavors. In the finish the bitterness shows up and helps balance out the sweet dark fruits, the yeast spice comes back to linger a bit as well.

The mouthfeel is thick and creamy with low carbonation. The frothy head gives it some nice frothy texture as I drank it as well. Can't really ask for anything else in a mouthfeel for the style.

Drinkability is very good, the flavors were great and it had some nice depth and complexity. The dark fruit flavors really stood out and added some very pleasant sweetness. Very nice beer overall and a great example of the style.

4.89/5  rDev +9.2%

12/29/05- Purchased at Jackson's Wine and Spirits in Lafayette, CA.

Presentation- 11.2oz bottle without any dating. Purchased over a year ago though. Consumed out of my St. Bernardus goblet.

Appearance- Dark caramel colored pour. A full inch of head which settles into a nice 1/8 inch rim throughout. Moderate lacing for a dubbel.

Smell- A dark roasted caramel malt base, followed by a sweet dark fruity smell. Plums and raisins mainly. Hits of anise also detected. Best smelling dubbel I have set my nose upon.

Taste- Almost has a grape jolly rancher kinda taste going. That combined with plums and maybe a taste of over ripe dates. Nonetheless it has a wonderful fruit barage going on. After the sweetness goes away it leaves a nice darker caramel malt flavor in the back of your mouth.

Mouthfeel- A tad thick and a tad creamy at that. Medium carbonation and slightly warming.

Drinkability- By far the most flavorful dubbel I have tried. I usually am not really a fan of dubbel's, but this one I would gladly drink all the time if it was readily available. Highly recommended.

4.6/5  rDev +2.7%

I felt EXTREMELY privileged to share a bottle with some CouchSurfing friends of mine in late-July 2010 while staying with them in Pittsburgh. I attended their wedding a couple of years ago and they received some bottles as a wedding present and held them for one of my visits. My Facebook page shows us drinking this beer on a hot, humid night as took the best notes possible.

This was an extremely difficult bottle to pour! There were lees evident along the sides of the bottle as well as in the kick. My gentle pour created only wisps along the center of the beer. Color was a deep amber, almost brown and with NE-quality clarity in the first glass (of two) that was poured. The second glass picked up some of the less, despite my best efforts to avoid it. I did my best to warm it from the refrigerator to get the nose to come forward. The first thing that I got were notes of dark, dried fruit - raisins, plums and cherries; caramel/butterscotch; and and earthy birch beer/cola scent. Wow! Mouthfeel was effervescent with a minty quality to accompany the hazelnut/astringent/drying taste on the tongue. The finish was extremely dry, leaving me literally gasping. The glass with the lees was also passed around and that had a quality of oily sludge with a taste of bitter coffee and dark chocolate. With the glass nearly empty, we combined the lees and the clarified pour for another, different taste that seemed to combine all of the flavors previously noted. Zounds!

4.58/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured from the bottle into an official Westvleteren chalice glass. Much thanks to Jeffo for the trade. Cap is dated 12.05.13.

Out of the bottle she pours a somewhat mix of foamy and good retention head. The color is a very light tan but also picks up the body giving a purpleish hue. Body is clear but not see through due to is dark purple brown and walnut like appearance. While drinking this beer always leaves a solid puck on top, but doesn't really leave any lacing.

Nose is kind of small muted and subtle. Whiffs of fruit cherries and grapes, slight sweetness. Pop of the cap brings some yeast punch. The nose though becomes more obvious after a few sips when going back to it however.

Palate is diverse and complicated. A rush of cherries and fruit grape. Powdery malt comes in the middle with a tonic water tolerable qunine finish. Tannic sense feeling like from a wooden barrel, dry red table wine without the vinous character. Carbonation is noticeable but not overpowering anything and mild chocolate just a hint on the finish too. The grape sensation just takes over after some time, it's everywhere after some noticeable sips and warmth.

Overall impressive palate more than anything else. Neat even though this is not a favorite style of mine in general. These guys know what they are doing, just don't ask me how?!

4.5/5  rDev +0.4%

wooha, the good stuff! What can be said about the worlds best dubble (according to hundreds of BAs) that hasnt allready been said. What strikes me is the softness and smoothness of the mouthfeel. The subtleness of the cocoa and powdered sugar in the nose. The classic and impressive sheets of lace. The complexity of the flavor profile. The layers of flavors. Vanilla, cocoa, chocolate, rum, dark berries etc. Alot going on here. Buy this stuff. Enjoy

4.02/5  rDev -10.3%

330 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Murky reddish brown. Big off white head. Thick collar

Smell - Pecan nuttiness when it's cold. Much fruitier as it warms. Yeasty. Kinda phenolic.

Taste - Very yeasty up front. Nutty as the yeast dies down. Some brown caramel malt. Light chocolate. Finish is clove spiciness. Aggressive hop flavor through, kinda grassy and bitter.

Mouthfeel - High carbonation. Medium body.

Overall - Not a style I love, but it's really well made.

4.37/5  rDev -2.5%

Sampled March 2004
A bready, yeasty aroma emanates from my glass as I pour this murky dark brown beer. It is topped by a thin light brown head. The aroma has a typically Belgian spicy (pepper), aroma with a hint of alcohol, and dark fruit (raisin being dominant). There is a hint of rum in the nose as well. The taste is dry, dusty and spicy. The fruit character is almost non-existant. As the beer warms up, a bit of sweetness becomes apparent. This beer seems very musty and dusty, for some reason. Quite complex, with some interesting spiciness that is all over the place; notes of pepper, clove, cummin, cardamom, and all spice. I actually like this quite a bit, though it really needs to be served on the warm side of cool to really shined.

Sampled Spring 2001
The offering smelled of dark candied malt accompanied by an appropriately dark brown color. It tasted quite good, sweetish with complex notes of malt and caramel. There was an intricate aftertaste that was complemented by a bitterness that was not from hops, but coated all 360° of the back of my mouth. The bottle, in a tasteful way that ran counter to modern commercial methods, was completely bare except for the bottle cap, which designated the brewery and the title 8°.

4.78/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Anticipation grows as I work up the Westvleteren latter at Cafe In de Vrede. Already served from the bottle into glass as it arrived at my table. On to the beer;

The 8 is ruby brown colored with an inch of rocky head. The head retention is acceptable and it leaves some creamy lace around. The aroma is not only complex, but downright appetizing! Hello? Figs. How are you? Raisins. Quite well. Prunes. Thank you very much. Chocolate and pudding and yeast.

Don't stop there. Get that palate ready for a party. The figs make their mark right away. Raisins don't trail far behind. A kiss of grass breaks the trend of sweet notes, but make no mistake, this is not sweet as in sugar sweet. A kiss of pepper adds a kick. Chocolate pudding adds a heavenly final blow to this outstanding dubbel. The beer is full bodied with a "peppery" carbonation, and it remarkably drinkable for a dubbel.

I've had dubbels which I've enjoyed a lot. Westvleteren just topped that list with its own. With its combination of great taste and drinkability, this was my favorite of the Westvleteren family.

4.85/5  rDev +8.3%

This is the third time I've had this beer, and reviewing it now seems like a good idea. It's quite an exceptional brew.

Pouring a shiny, clean brown like that of a nut shell. Looks great topped with an off-brown head that is a cross between dense and soft. Sticky lacing.

Fruit aroma. Orchard fruits like apple, some cherry. Spice and sweet bread. This smells wonderful yet not quite a '5' as the hint of alcohol allows the apple aroma to sneak off.

Fantastic flavor. Simple it seems, but when you try to nail down the flavor you find out that there are many. The apple, cherry, vanilla, caramel, nutmeg, some cardamon, red plum and raisin. Just to name a few. Banana comes and goes, so too does licorice. But none stand out. They blend well, and taking time to drink this beer is impossible. It just goes down great.

Nice finish, nothing gets in the way of another sip. Superb

4.22/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours black with amber hues up to the light. One finger light beige head, really sticky.
Typical dubbel smell, with dark fruit, cocoa, vanilla, caramel, cake, Belgian sugars and chocolate.
Rich chocolate and caramel from the start, sweet and "lumpy", perfectly molded with dark malts, creating a chocolate cake taste. Dark fruits (like plum and figs) aren't alone here, but accompanied by red cherries, banana, red apple, red grapes and lemon rind (producing also some nice light tartness and sourness). Lots of spices, with cinnamon, vanilla, slight clove and pepper, notes of aniseseed also.
There's an earthy-woody note also, producing an oaky taste, close to reminding of a barrel aged beer (the light tart and the musty grapes help also) . This, and taking the nice warm alcohol into consideration, produces a cognac-like taste. Especially in the finish.
Hops are present, mildly bitter, giving off some green tobacco and grass, also some dryness.
Body is chewy at first, with a prickly fizz throughout, goes down easily and keeps you asking for more.
Expectations were high, but this beer was higher even. Definitely the best dubbel i've ever had. Too bad it's hard (and expensive) to find.

Had it some time later. Big let-down, something seems to have happened here.

4.35/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured into a Westvleteren chalice. It appears brown with red highlights and an off-white head.

Smells a bit like chocolate graham cracker and malted milk balls (a possible hint of oxidation maybe as it's not far from cardboard) with a touch of funk. Very biscuity and nutty like a brown ale at times, interesting. Not what I expected, but not out of line for the style.

The initial flavor is of smooth Belgian chocolate with candied dates. There seems to be a sprtiz of sweet cherry and herbal hops at the end, while the finish is slightly sweet with notes of caramel and toffee.The flavors are subtle like a great English bitter and while the flavor is sweet, it's well balanced and never cloying.

The body is medium and the carbonation is light, but just enough. Overall, it's very drinkable. It just strikes me as a very well made beer. If it weren't so damned rare it'd be easy to sit down and drain a few of these bottles. I think I can settle for Rochefort 8, however. I'd like to taste those head to head.

Hype factor: Doesn't live up to it in my book, but for me, hyped beers rarely do. Maybe one of the most drinkable Belgian's I've had, and easily the best dubbels I've had. I just had the Allagash dubbel a few days ago, and while a very nice beer, I found it a bit lighter and not quite as pleasing. I must say, however, I don't think with is worthy of being considered a top 10 in the world beer.

4.97/5  rDev +10.9%

Part of a pack bought at the Abbey a couple of years back, decided to broach one of them at last.

Poured into the glass that came in the pack (a chalice): everything went in, the sediment arriving half way through the pour.

Deep auburn brown body with a rich looking creamy head sat above.

The nose is complex and delightful, huge fruit esters, both dried and fresh, malty goodness and walnut whips (for the Brits reading this) all seem to vie for position within the aromas.

The taste follows along the same lines, with the vanilla from the walnut whip asserting it's self a little more, but not taking over in any way. What a lovely balanced Dubbel, certainly the best I've ever had in my fairly long life. I can now see what all the fuss is about, later this evening I'm having one of my Westy 12's really looking forward to that, what a night I'm having.

Rich, deep and very, very enjoyable, my sweet tooth just loves this, I thought the Westmalle Dubbel was superb, but this knocks socks off it in all departments, a wonderful beer from start to finish.

4.43/5  rDev -1.1%

Bottle as part of Westy Wednesday at Volo. Served in a flute.

Poured a dark maroon, opaque with a finger or two of off-white head. Nose of sharp alcohol initially, but then some raisin, ripe green apple skin, ripe plums and some date appears. Taste kicks off with a quick glimpse of the alcohol on the palate, mixed with some stone fruits. Light apple comes through again, hints of brown sugar, vanilla. Alcohol present and prevalent throughout each sip, but only adds to the complexity of this. Light tannic finish. Warming mouthfeel, great body with a finish that lingers forever. Solid drinkability, and an exceptional beer. Best dubbel I've ever had.

4.77/5  rDev +6.5%

So I finally get to try some Westvleteren 8, and I'm pleasantly surprised. After all the hype I was sure I would be fairrly let down, even though I had a good experience with the 12. I figured that this beer would be somewhat ridding on the coattails of that beer. I was wrong. The first impression upon tasting this was Wow!, this is so fruity and lively. It was much brighter tasting than I expected, extremely floral and with some nice hop bite in the finish. The predominant flavor seeemed to be honeysuckle. Light and effervescent in the mouth, this was unbelievably drinkable and pleasant. The pour was a dark amber with little head, but the aromas immediately lure you in with fresh fruity and floral notes with a bit of metal underneath. Really a classy beer, and if it were more available one that I would probably drink more often than the 12- as much as I love that beer.

A VERY hard to find beer!

Pours a clear walnut brown colored brew with champagne like carbonation.

Smell is a Mozart symphony, tart yet strongly malty scent! Fruit flavors abound too, lots of apple, but grapes and cherries, lemon, Paw Paws, and pineapple!

Taste is as complex as the smell, or more complex. Mildly sweet with a complex mix of sugar flavors, like a gourmets caramel! Molasses, Brown sugar, apple juice, melon, and Maltose are in here. Fruit flavors are in this too, mostly apple but notes of plums and papaya, pineapples. Nutty flavors like Walnuts and Pecans, and almonds are in this too. The Spice layer has cinnamon and all spice as the main flavors, but not the only ones. Bit of black pepper bite and a hop bitterness in the finish. There are woody flavors in this too, mostly oak and cork.

Mouthfeel is full with champagne bubbles.

Drinkability is a masterpiece of a sipper’s brew! This cost $7 for one small bottle for a REASON!

Trappist Westvleteren 8 (VIII) from Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren)