Trappist Westvleteren 8 (VIII) - Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren)

Trappist Westvleteren 8 (VIII)Trappist Westvleteren 8 (VIII)

Wants: 1,279
Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) visit their website

Dubbel |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-03-2001

(Blue Cap)
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,789 | Reviews: 774
4.15/5  rDev -7.4%

A - Clear ruby brown color with a big, long lasting, frothy tannish head. Little lacing.

S - Sweet pilsner malts with a little bit of dark fruity essence. Prunes, plums, raisins, etc. Rummy boozy aroma is quite nice.

F/M - Sweet candy-like pilsner malts with noticeable dark fruity melanoidins. Rum and complex alcoholic notes with a medium light bitterness. Medium body with moderately high carbonation. Dry, clean finish. Lingering sweet raisiny flavor.

D - Excellent. The dry and clean finish make this beer super easy to put down. Tasty and satisfying.

4.68/5  rDev +4.5%

33cl bottle poured into a Delirium Tremens snifter. I cannot thank ipa247 enough for this FREE bottle of beer that he just handed me because he is the definition of a BA. Thank you. The cap reads 20.12.09 which means this was bottled in December 2006.

A: Pours an extremely dark ruby red with about a finger of dark tan head made of up very small tight bubbles. Head receded slowly into a fuzzy film that left a pretty solid sheet of soapy soft lacing down the glass.
S: Big malty notes of caramel, raisins and red grapes. Very vinous smelling and wonderfully complex. I also pick up notes of whole wheat bread crust, toasted nuts, faint warm alcohol and hints of dark fruits including figs.
T: Exponentially rich and creamy. Flavors are very similar to the nose with the addition of brandy and sweet fruits as well. The nuts come through strong and remind me of chopped walnuts, and there are golden apple notes, dark cherries, and rye crust.
M: Full bodied with more than ample carbonation that has no problem frothing up on your pallet. Alcohol has some rich flavor but no burn. Mouthfeel is viscous and slightly sticky with enough chewiness to keep me from taking too much into my mouth at any one time.
D: Wonderful wonderful beer. I would have to concur that this could possibly be the best for its style. 8 is however, not quite as decadent as the 12. Hardly anything is, even from the same brewery. Again, I cannot thank you enough ipa247 for letting me try this brew.

4.45/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Review from notes taken on 11/12/10. Bottle code of 12-5-13. A big thank you to Brabander for sending me this and giving me a chance to not only try this brew but share it with some friends.

Poured into a snifter, Westy 8 appears a faintly hazy amber brown color that displays some deep ruby hues and a yellowish tanned head. A finger's worth of creamy foam appears and recedes slowly clinging all around the glass with a webbing of patchy lace. A light swirl revives the head back to a finger's strength.

The smell of this brew is initially sweet and candy-like. In the background is a twinge of green yeastiness and some prevalent alcohol stings the nose but in a pleasant way. A light touch of earthy hops emerges taking this brew off in another direction.

The taste is again yeasty with a sort of green character showing the youth of this offering. There is an earthy mild bitterness and a smooth dark candy-like sweetness before the onset of the solid alcohol presence. The aftertaste is earthy, herbal and sort of dry and candy-like. The alcohol really has a solid character to this brew but it is quite unlike other belgians I have had. Very enjoyable.

This is a highly carbonated offering that somewhat exaggerates the alcohol with a sort of evaporative quality when it hits the tongue. It is medium bodied, super smooth and very drinkable. I have only had this brew on one other occasion and that experience was better than this one. Perhaps it was a bottle with a little bit of age on it. Regardless, a fantastic brew.

4.3/5  rDev -4%

A Tale of Two Beers

Courtesy of BA mduncan, I had the opportunity to try two vintage Westvleteren 8 back-to-back:

First, Beer 1: Purchased two years ago, Best By Date of 4/5/2011.
Second, Beer 2: Purchased recently, Best By Date of 1/15/2013.

The First (Older) Beer:

A: Coloring of the darkest brown, visible floaters.

S: Cellar aged for two years, this beer has the aroma of a Port Wine or Madeira in its raisiny sweetness.

T: The aged version takes the younger beer (see below) and ages it, bringing out raisin and plum flavors, finishing with a tempered smoothness that contrasts with the younger beers' carbonation.

Mouthfeel is yeasty and 'volume' is spectacular - aging this changes the whole character of what is already an excellent beer.

The Second (Younger) Beer:

A: Lighter than the older beer, this beer had amber edges

S: Sort of a musky hoppiness and a caramel sweetness - if you can imagine an apple orchard in October and overripe fruit, this captures some of that essence.

T: Very dry and fruity, quite carbonated. You capture a lot of the alpha acids from their hop mixture here, which gives it an almost citrus freshness. But this is a good, complex, well made Dubbel.

Overall: The newer beer is good, but the aged beer is spectacular. Put this one on your shelf for a year or two and taste the difference - older beers will loose a lot of the hoppy tanginess of the younger beers, but instead develop an enveloping raisiny richness.

4.36/5  rDev -2.7%

One of the 4-pack i got for my 23rd birthday. Served very slightly chilled in a Bodum Double-walled glass.

A - Pours an impeccably clean, almost jet black brown with a finger or two of airy yet resilient head.

S - Oaky dried fruit and brown sugar backed up by an alcohol haze and an almost peppermint note way in the back. Not a very strong aroma, but what i did get was pleasant.

T - Roasty bready malt, slight sugar/dried fruit sweetness, slight coffee bitterness, alcohol fairly upfront. It's not an overpowering drink, but subtle and complex, actively challenging you to slow down, sip, and savor.

M - Lighter than I thought, but oh so smooth and velvety on the palate, with surprisingly active carbonation, converging to make this ethereal, tingly mouthfeel that really elevates the experience.

D - It's like liquid velvet, even with the 8% ABV. Actively remind yourself to sip this one, because it's amazingly drinkable.

Overall - I'm starting to believe that Trappist Monks are proof of god existing. Seriously, this beer was a joy to drink, and for the first time in a long time, I'm sad now that my glass is empty. I want more. Oh god do I want more.

4.3/5  rDev -4%

Poured from the bottle into a branded chalice at In De Vrede.

A: The beer is a pure brown color. No light coming through.. Head was 1.5 fingers, light tan, and with low retention.

S: Rich aroma but hard right now to pick out specifics. Berry notes coming in and out of a dark malty backbone. Brown sugar and dark cake.

T: Deep and malty with touches of oak, vanilla, rum, and some roasted malt. Dark fruits - plum an raisin. Finishes with a big yeasty character and hints of roasted malts. Excellent.

M: Smooth and slightly drying.

D and Notes: I've heard from many people that this is better than the 12. I don't quite agree, but it was a great pair with the pate and the abbey cheese. very drinkable for the strength as well.

Enjoyed on one of a few BA/Rare Beer Night Tastings during the month of September 2010. I was not able to take detailed notes on this one, but I did make some shorthand and took mental notes in order to prepare a small review. I plan to take more detailed notes on my next opportunity to try this rare find.

Thanks to Don Lowman for sharing 3 of Westy 8s & 12s with the group, a very generous gesture indeed.

Appearance is dark brown/chestnust in color with a thin but fluffy tan head.

Complex aromas of dark fruit and dark malts, followed by Belgian yeast spice notes.

Tastes as it smells with and amazingly smooth and well rounded flavor profile. Raisan and fig flavors sneak in.
Medium body with medium+ carbonation and smooth velvet mouthfeel.

Surprisingly drinkable at 8% abv. I personally enjoyed the Westy 8 better than the 12, but I am curious to try both again and take some detailed notes, hopefully I get this rare chance again.

Most grateful indeed. A sacred brew worthy of sacred appreciation given this rare opportunity.

4.42/5  rDev -1.3%

330ml bottle shared with cgymatt oct19 2010

A murky brown with plenty of sediment and a thumbs width of dense foam that slowly falls to a thin film that leaves some patches of lace

S brown sugar, spice, raisin, fig, a little licorice, some green apple and some hard toffee, saying this is complex would be an understatement

T thankfully it tastes like it smells, a fair bit going on in the glass and as it warmed the flavors seem to all blend together in harmony

M creams up from the carbonation fairly well but not quite as thick as I was expecting

D smells and tastes great, I finished it well before I got a real feel for the beer and I may not see another for a while

I gotta thank Matt for cracking this one I know you were saving it for some time now. Overall I can't wait to try a 12, this one was close to a 5 in one or two departments if a 4.75 was a option it would have been dropped here.

4.38/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

.33L bottle, served in a Chimay chalice

A - poured gently, yielding a solid inch of frothy and puffy light tan colored foam with some specks of brown sediment. the beer is hazy, dark brown/muddy in color. the foam settles to a solid layer and retains through the whole lovely experience.

S - just slightly musty, with some dark fruits...plums and raisins. other notes of sweet toffee, candi sugar, doughy bread and a kiss of silky milk chocolate.

T - sweet off the bat, with belgian candi sugar melding with raisins, red grapes, apple skins, and plums. turns a bit spicy at the middle as slightly yeast ethers chime in. almost has a cola-like sweet finish, along with tobacco, bread, vanilla, and noble hops. complex and delicious.

M - lightish body with frizzy and fuzzy carbonation, makes the beer just dance in your mouth. finishes slightly dry, yet lingering sweetness remains with a wonderful aftertaste.

D - it doesnt get much better than this. pair it with some creamy and pungent cheese (a must with this one) and you'll experience a flavorgasm. this beer is quite deserving of the respect it receives, and it a stellar example of the style. cheers to the St. Sixtus brothers for this masterpiece!

4.67/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured from a 0.33L bottle into my Duvel tulip. Cap is dated 27.1.13.

a - Pours a mahogany brown color with 2 fingers of off white head that has great tention. The head lasted for several minutes and left some nice lacing on the glass. Moderate carbonation and a little bit of sediment evident.

s - Smells of Belgian yeast, spices, dark fruit, especially raisins and plums, light sweet fruity malts, and bready malts. Also a little brown sugar. Smells like a great dubbel.

t - Tastes of dark fruit, bready malts, Belgian yeast, spices, and alcohol.Still very good, but a step down from the smell.

m - Medium body and low carbonation. The body is very creamy and smooth; it's perfect.

d - Overall I thought this was an amazing dubbel. I thought it looked and smelled amazing, and the mouthfeel was perfect. While I think the taste was very enjoyable, it was probably the weakest part of this beer. I would have liked a little less alcohol in the taste. That being said the taste is still great, it's just that the smell and mouthfeel are pretty much perfect. Would love to get some more of this.

4.08/5  rDev -8.9%

drank this just before my first westy 12... so it was a good appetizer!

Wasn't that impressed and imho this one is more undeservedly hyped than the 12... my friend loves this one, prefers it over the 12, but I don't find it nearly as complex, full, sweet and creamy as the 12. But to each his own. Dark fruit, a bit on the light side, and a bit too much of an alcohol taste. Don't get me wrong, it was good, but not as good as I expected. Then again, it was a fresh one, If I can age a couple of bottles, maybe I can upgrade this one.

4.55/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Found this on a shelf in a beer store in Brussels. Like the 12 I found this was also 10 euro and I had to but it. I know about the monks and all, but if it is for sale and I can't get to them, I would snatch this up in a hurry. Quite good and tasty, but not blowing my mind like I was hoping. I really liked it, but maybe because it is not my favorite style it did not seem as good?

4.68/5  rDev +4.5%

Review #500

03.06.12 date on cap

George Forman once said "Boxing is like jazz. The better it is, the less people appreciate it." Perhaps the same is true about beer.

For review #500, I decided to get in the ring with a true heavyweight - the only beer in the current BA top 10 I haven't rated.  While pouring this gem into my Leffe chalice, I am blown away - the beer looks great. A 2 finger eggshell colored head sits atop a prune/mahogany colored body with subtle red and brown highlights around the edge.  I can see a few bubbles rising, replenishing the head, but when I gaze any distance past the edges, all light is swallowed by the dense looking body. Just about as perfect as a dubbel can get.  A great entrance, now let's get to the main event!

Right away I know this is a rich and unapologetic beer, but it's not just a bruiser. There are yeasty esters leading the charge, giving out touches of spiced nuts and creating a fascinating interplay with the dark malt. The malt gives impressions of raisin, prune, and perhaps even a touch of chocolate and walnut. While I normally go for the yeast forward, bubblegum notes in dubbles, this is impressive in it's depth and unique for sure. Sophisticated but just a touch less expressive than perfection.   Just an amazing first round.

The taste is equally impressive and picks up where the smell left off  Sweet on the tip of my tongue, the luxurious liquid travels backwards and coats my mouth with sugary plums, raisins, dates, and walnuts.  There's a touch of alcohol which holds back the perfect score. Yeast adds spicy notes. Touch of bitterness from hops. Impressive, cohesive, sophisticated. And, as it warms and opens (or my palate becomes accustomed), the booze becomes less of an issue.

Westvleteren 8 is creamy with just enough bubbles to keep it moving. The body feels medium but may be heavier, it's just coming off lighter due to the great carb. Finishes clean with a touch of sweet malt lingering on. A work of art, certainly a contender for the crown.

How do you even judge this?  It's like an orgasm in liquid form. A truly exceptional, amazing beer. Hands down one of the most delicately crafted beers I've ever had. Just shy of perfection due to slight booze.  An absolute knockout!  I'm already looking forward to the rematch!

4.2/5  rDev -6.3%

Purchased from the Beer Temple in Brussels...

Appearance: Pours a think, dark amber color with good amount of lace left behind

Smell: Very rich, with notes of raisins, rum, vanilla, sugar, honey and apple.

Taste: Very complex starts with a sweet raisin flavor and then hints of vanilla and caramel, alcohol a little more present that I would have hoped

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation; very smooth

Drinkability: While the booze does limit the drinkability, it is still a very smooth brew.

4.35/5  rDev -2.9%

A fairly fresh bottle of Westvleteren 8, dated with a best by date of 12.05.13 poured into a tulip glass. Really insane amount of carbonation initially that I can see through the bottle after popping open the bottle cap. Carbonation calms down a little after the beer has spent some time in the glass, but there is still very ample amount of bubbles. I poured carefully and left most of the residual yeast in the bottom of the bottle.

Very dark brown, with some dark red at the edge of the glass. Initial three fingers of head forced me to stop pouring out the bottle after about 250 ml. The very high carbonation is streaming from the bottom of the glass, feeding a light khaki colored cloud of head at the top. The head is clinging tightly to the edge of the glass, despite the middle beginning to recede five minutes after the pour. A very impressive pour and a nice looking beer in the glass.

Nose is pretty surprising. I get a small hint of funk initially, that somewhat reminds me of a lightly brett infected beer. Not full on funky, but enough to make the aroma really interesting, when combined with the dried dark fruits (plums and figs primarily), cloves, and a bit of malt. Nicely balanced aroma, with the sweet and sour playing nicely with each other.

Taste follows through with a balance of dried fruit, spice and a mellow slightly sweet but dry finish. Not as fruity as I was expecting it to be, but the flavors play very well with each other.

Medium bodied beer drinks very easily, finishing cleanly on the tongue. Carbonation is gentle in the mouth despite my initial worry after pouring, but it really calms down the longer it is in the glass. Halfway through drinking the glass, the Westvleteren 8's head is almost all gone, and the mouthfeel turns a little creamy.

Very easy to drink, but it demands to be sipped so that you can enjoy the well balanced flavor profile. Worth acquiring a bottle to try, and drinks really nicely when it is young.

I have two more bottles of Westvleteren 8 that I'll try to keep and age until it's best by date and try one in a 1-2 years and one in 3 years. Looking forward to it.

4.62/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Reviewed from my tasting notes of a decent sized sample I consumed at an epic tasting event held with the members of the SMBDC.

It has a brown hue, like caramel, and is translucent. There is a good tan bubbly head. I can smell caramel, plums, brown and crystal sugars. The flavor has notes of a fine chocolate, but also some plum and other dark fruits. The yeast imparts an interesting aspect that is hard to summarize from my pour (I have a bottle of this in my cellar that I hope will help me expand this review). Overall, the taste is sweet and effervescent. The sweetness lingers. It has a medium body and low carbonation. The coat isn't very big, which I found slightly surprising. It is a very drinkable beer. Having a bottle or two in a session would be perfect.

Again, thanks to Don (digital7693) for obtaining this gem for our epic beer tasting!!!

A: poured a medium amber, brown with a nice white head.

S: A bit fruitier than the 12. I get notes of raisins and plums. Also caramel, molasses, and brown sugar.

T: the fruit notes follow through in the taste. Plum dominates the pallet. No alcohol taste at all. Also not too sweet, but just a perfect balance of hop, malt, and fruit.

D: Wow...this is perfection in a bottle. I prefer this to the 12 as it's more drinkable. It's not so much the sipper that 12 is, thus I have to score this higher in my book. I would love to sit down with a few bottles around a fire pit on a cool winter evening! Eh, maybe someday!

4.97/5  rDev +10.9%

Thanks to Don for bringing this one to an EPIC tasting! Poured into a generic tulip. Nice off white head. Moderate retention. Ruby body. Aroma of dark, over ripe pitted fruits. Taste is raisins, brown sugar and liquid gold. Greatness, everything expected and a little more. Smooth as can be with no abv noted. Perfection.

4.27/5  rDev -4.7%

Courtesy of my buddy Tim at a tasting after his return from Europe. If I remember correctly, bottle was aged for 3 years.

A- Dark chocolate tones, hot cocoa-esque body, pure white head, minimal carbonation.

S- Heavily anise, sweet caramel malts, and a faint yeasty like bread.

T- Alcohol tinge melded into all the flavors. Strongly sweet that matches the aroma perfectly. It has flavors that remind me of butter. Finish is a bit malty.

M- Not the best here. The alcohol makes the mouthfeel diminished. Sure it tastes great, but it loses me here. Smooth and easy to drink. Creamy, modest body make up for the alcohol burn.

D- Without a doubt would drink it again. Makes me want to try a fresh one.

4.16/5  rDev -7.1%

Bottle marked 20-09-10. Pours with a fluffy, light tan head that sticks over a deep, hazy, amber brown body. Great lace. Aroma is banana, licorice, light alcohol, plums, yeast, dried fruits and candi sugar. A bit on the non assertive side. Taste is rum, dark fruits, plum and a touch of wheat. Water like consistency, light bubbles. Very good, albeit understated beer.

2.91/5  rDev -35%

Visited in de Vrede at Saint Sixtus last week. The Bruin was served from a bottle into a goblet.

Clumpy creamy biege head. Dark brown body/color with light carbonation from the bottom. Large bands of biege lacing.

Thick rich sweet nut brown taste, some raison some cocoa. Almost no aroma - barely a farmhouse field aroma.

Nothing special but enjoyable in their cafe on a sunny day.

4.27/5  rDev -4.7%

Thanks Thijs for letting me get this great beer. After waiting for a few weeks, I finally decided to crack this open. Served into a wine glass since I just moved and had my specialty glasses in boxes. Ohh lots of head, creamy and rich. Hints of caramel but not too sweet. Perfection on this style!

4.4/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

The cap was dated 9.3.10.
Big thanks goes out to mbrasi who threw this in as an extra!

A: Pours a white creamy head with a tinge of a chocolaty brown, head dissipates to a thin layer leaving nice lacing along the glass.

S: This beer smells great. A sweet smell, caramel, malt, a hint of cinnamon at the end.

T: Similar to the smell but it comes through stronger and with more nuance and layers. This is incredibly smooth, the three years of age on this one certainly didn't do any harm. Starts with a bit of spice, maybe cloves, also full of malt and a sweet flavor, caramel. The flavor really sticks in your mouth, great aftertaste.

M: Medium to full bodied, decent carbonation and creaminess make this beer great.

D: This is definitely smooth for the ABV, I could drink a few of these if given the chance.

Overall: This is really a great beer. Glad I finally got the chance to try it, I will certainly seek it out again in the future.

4.73/5  rDev +5.6%

Shared with me by a great BA, thanks Thijs.

A- Dark hazy ebony wood brown with a 2 finger fluffy off white head with a nice layer of head that retains for the duration of the beer leaving clumps of lace all over the glass.

S- Nice sweet caramel scents followed by nice dark fruits and a load of spice on the backend, loads of cinnamon and nutmeg, almost smells like a cigar on the backend, with a nice belgian yeast scent that is always great.

T- Wow, similar to the scent but more powerful. Nice caramel and belgian yeast up front making this a very nice sweet belgian beer followed by the dark fruit and candi sugar with a slight almond flavor and a finish that is dominated by spices like cinnamon and nutmeg and a macanudo cigar spice finish.

M- Medium/Full body with ample carbonation that attacks the tongue, very nice flavors and almost creamy body. Would have scored a 5 here but carbonation was a little too much.

D- Alcohol is hidden, you don't notice any heat. The scents and flavors are great and as this beer warms the flavors seem to explode and express themselves three-fold. Will hold my other bottle for several years and re-visit.

Thanks Thijs, a real treat.

4.83/5  rDev +7.8%

Had this beer from the bottle at In De Vrde near the abbey. Served in a chalice, cool.

A-mahogany brown body, tan head (thick).

S-sweet grain, light floral aroma

T-sweet grain, raisin, light hop.

M-full flavor but light on the palate.

D-Excellent beer. Not as heavy as 12. Still has complexity and far from a disappointment after having 12. If I have the honor of drinking this again. I will.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Trappist Westvleteren 8 (VIII) from Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren)