Trappist Westvleteren 8 (VIII) - Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren)

Trappist Westvleteren 8 (VIII)Trappist Westvleteren 8 (VIII)

Wants: 1,231
Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) visit their website

Dubbel |  8.00% ABV

(Blue Cap)

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-03-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappist Westvleteren 8 (VIII) Alström Bros
4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

I received this bottle as an extra in a trade, I can't remember who from so I can't give you credit whoever you are. Poured an active murky, oily, redish/brown body with an off white/tan head that lasted a while. Smells of cherry, raisin, very floral. Taste was amazing with dark fruits as in the taste. The 8% come through in the end as it warms a bit. Medium body that was fairly fizzy,

mugglesandhops, Jul 07, 2009
3.95/5  rDev -12%

A: Dark brown with a medium sized off-white/pale brown head that dissipates slowly and leaves plenty of lacings.

S: Light fruity aromas and plenty of malts - very thick and robust. Notes of fudge and toffee mixed with earthy herbal aromas. Some spicy phenols and alcohol. Rather complex and well balanced, but it's not as impressive or as powerful as I had expected.

T: A similar balance between fruity aromas and malts as in the smell: cherries, slightly tart red currants rests upon a decent malty backbone. Fudge and caramel delivers much of the sweetness. Dark bread, a gentle note of wood and just a hint of blanket (which I find a bit odd). The finish is slightly phenolic and somewhat bitter with notes of sweet alcohol, herbs and minerals.

M: Full bodied, smooth texture. The finish is somewhat dry. A very pleasant mouthfeel.

D: A good beer, very good actually. Complex, well balanced and tasty. But one of the best beers in the world? Perhaps not, in my humble opinion.

ricke, Jul 06, 2009
4.25/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed this evening paired with dinner and served in a snifter glass with the help of wheatman106 and Jimmy

Appearance - Slightly cloudy brown with about 1 1/2 fingers of head. The carbonation of this beer forms a nice thick, web-like frothy head that slowly dissipated as the meal continued.

Smell - On opening this holy brew I knew I was in store for something that could not have been made by the hands of laymen. The brew gives off a complex compilation of fresh concord grapes, Belgium yeast with very little traces of hop to me smelt.

Taste - The balance of this brew is quite remarkable, from start, middle to finish the taste of Belgium yeast, dark berries and a hint of perfectly ripened apples. I can barely taste the alcohol in this beer and reminds me of a Sunday morning having a glass of cold grape juice.

Mouthfeel - This brew is has a nice medium body that coats the taste buds on my tongue and leaves a quite enjoyable after taste which holds me over till my next sip.

Drinkability - The drinkability of this beer is rather high because of the balance between all of the complex element in this beer.

After taking my last sip, Wheatman106, Jimmy and I cracked open the Westveleteren 12 and to say the least we all were blown away by both of this beers. Kudos to the Trappist monks, without them I would not know what the taste of perfection would be.

capra12, Jun 17, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Thanks to phil7568 for this one.

Pours a dark brown with sudsy white one-finger head that fades pretty quickly. Lots of carbonation evident from the tiny bubbles rising to the surface. Full of suspended sediment...I mean FULL. The bigger pieces begin to settle out, but lots of smaller particles remain.

Smell is sweet, dark fruit. Big raisiny aroma with some prunes as well. Taste is similar to the aroma, with the alcohol being pretty forward. It's hard to pick out a lot of flavors due to the almost immediate alcohol burn.

Mouthfeel is on the heavy side of medium. I was almost expecting a chewy feel based on the look, but it's really pretty smooth. Drinkability is decent. I still think the Westmalle Dubbel is better. As far as Wesvleteren goes, I think this one is better than the blonde, but not as good as the 12. Very happy I got to try it, though.

daythree16, Jun 17, 2009
4.43/5  rDev -1.3%

Thanks to brewsb4shrews for this one.

Pours a dark brown with a little sediment. There's a 3-finger beige head & medium lacing.

The smell is not real overpowering--just herbs, caramel, yeast & faint dark fruits. The taste is really complex starting with bitter herbal flavors, chocolate, and yeast, and then ending with a dryness, spices. The mouthfeel is medium-bodied, carbonated with a slight oily quality, but the sediment isn't felt at all.

This is drinkable brew, and I'm glad I had the opportunity to try it as it seems it's not the easiest beer to acquire.

theghost3, Jun 15, 2009
4.45/5  rDev -0.9%

Tried this thanks to jopish17 - much obliged!

Pours a somewhat clear dark brown color with ruby and almost purple highlights and a two-finger off-white head. The head recedes slowly due to a steady stream of bubbles from the bottom of the glass into a thin pancake on top leaving thick lacing.

Smells of sugary caramel with large amounts of raisins and dates. Lots of fruit aromas without overpowering the Belgian yeast.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Sweet caramel flavors up front shortly give way to fruit flavors. The fruit flavors are as robust and complex as any, with sugar-coated raisins and dates playing a large part with hints of prunes in the background. The ending is crisp and sufficiently sweet.

Mouthfeel is great. It has a great thickness with very active carbonation that does it's job to the T.

Drinkability is good. I could drink a lot of these.

Overall this beer lived up to it's billing. The flavors weren't the best part of the beer, but rather how they entered and faded at just the right times - though the solid levels of carbonation helped things along nicely. However, I've heard many people say they liked the 8 better than the 12 and I have to respectfully disagree, though just by a hair. Give both a shot if at all possible.

glid02, Jun 13, 2009
4.3/5  rDev -4.2%

Poured from a 330ml bottle (cap date 16.09.09) into a Westvletern chalice.

A: Pours a muddy tawny brown with a creamy and thick light tan head. The head remains throughout, excellent retention.

S: Some dark fruits mixed with some spices (maybe cinnamon).

T: It's a bit spicy with some caramel malt. Dark fruits such as figs and raisins are in there as well. Complex and delicious. It has a brandy like finish with a bit of alcohol coming through.

M: Medium-bodied, low carbonation results in a creamy and silky smooth mouthfeel.

D: Absolutely a well-crafted beer, glad that I had the opportunity to try it. I'd definitely drink it more often it wasn't so hard to come across. Goes down very smooth and surprisingly light.

willjschmidt, Jun 12, 2009
4.8/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours an opaque dark chestnut with a substantial head that dissipates slowly leaving heavy lacing down the sides.

Malt, toffee and yeast to the nose.

Complex, smooth and delectable. Besides elements noted in nose, the hops are mildly evident along with fruit and chocolate. Nice carbonation, a most enjoyable brew.

Great drinkability, if only this wasn't so hard to obtain. Or should I add, at a more friendly price.

techdiver, Jun 08, 2009
3.78/5  rDev -15.8%

Hard to believe this is a first timer for me. I've been lucky enough to have the 12 a few times, but this is the first 8 I've had the pleasure of opening.

Best by: 15 08 11

APPEARANCE: Pours a murky brown into my Westvleteren chalice. This one seems to developed some protein chunking in its short time aging which will hopefully settle out in my glass. The head is tightly bubbled and creamy. It started at about a finger's height and hasn't dropped much at all.

SMELL: Not terribly intense, but what's there is quite nice. Heavy on the sweet fruits especially cherry and raisin. A bit of a bready character gets through as well. Not a whole lot coming from the yeast nor is there any whiff of alcohol.

TASTE: Wow, completely different than the aroma. This has quite a bit of unmistakable character from the abbey yeast. It's really bready with a kick of alcohol that's accentuated by a significant dryness. There's not a whole lot of sweetness going on here. Just the opposite in fact, with an unexpected spicy bitterness on the back end.

MOUTHFEEL: Haven't swallowed any chunks yet, so I can give an honest answer here. The body is on the lighter side for sure, with a very piquant carbonation that's at the higher end of the spectrum.

DRINKABILITY: Good, just like the rest of the beer. The alcohol is slightly prohibitive, and there's a few unexpected twists with the beer. But I'd be glad to have one of these any time.

It feels slightly blasphemous, but I was not blown away by this beer. I do have a few more bottles, and I will happy to give it another chance every opportunity I get. I get the feeling that this could definitely benefit from aging for a good while, and I'll definitely be putting that theory to practice given the young age of this particular bottle.

jmalex, Jun 08, 2009
4.88/5  rDev +8.7%

Thanks to juicestam for his round the world odyssey that led to this 3-way all Westie tasting.

Appearance: Cola-like body with thin white head. Moderate lacing.

Nose: Spicy-sweet, dark fruits, candi sugar. Me like!

Taste: Intense sweetness with dark fruitiness throughout. Spicy, spicy, spicy with candi sugar too. Dates, figs. This is a beer!

Mouthfeel: Slick, high carbed, effervescent.

Drinkability: Wow! Really. Just outstanding. Low apparent ABV, but it rocks, and I want another sip. And another. And another. I want to marry this beer.

ghostwalker, Jun 07, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +0.9%

Pours a dark brown color with one finger of fizzy off white head.

Scent of strong robust malts, sugars, sweet dark fruits, and some spiced with a touch of alcohol. Excellent, and nearly perfect, but just a touch too sweet.

Taste of spices and earthy malts start, sugars and dark fruit come in and finishes with a bit of marshmallow malts. A high quality Dubbel, but I believe the Rochefort offerings are of higher quality.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and creamy smooth with a strong biting carbonation.

paco1029384756, May 02, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +2.4%

A million thanks go out to deepsouth for this amazing extra in a trade! Date code 22-11-10. Pours a dark brown color with amber highlights, a thin cap that stuck around throughout, and little lacing. Lots of sediment in the bottle that I tried to keep out. Aroma is grassy, a bit of dark fruit, lightly sweet, some brown sugar and apples, yeasty, smells great! Flavor is very nice! Hints of chocolate, candied dark fruits, brown sugar, herbaceous hops, a hint of raisins, a bit of grassiness and a hint of musty sourness. The aftertaste lingers for quite a bit and there's a faint roasted coffee and burnt caramel flavor that sticks to the tongue. Tastes fantastic. Flavor is on the higher side of medium, but still medium and nice crisp carbonation. This is a very tasty beer, but I could only see myself having one at a time, but it was great to be able to sample this rare treat. Thanks again, Jason!

KeefD, Apr 27, 2009
4.35/5  rDev -3.1%

Pours a light brown with a off-white head into my Chimay goblet. Taste is sweet, but not overly so, which I prefer. Dark fruit (plums, cranberries, raisins, etc.) really sticks out on my palate along with some alcohol bitterness on the finish. Mouthfeel is good, light-medium in body, coats the mouth well. I prefer this Dubbel to the Quad and will drink again, for sure.

Sean9689, Apr 21, 2009
4.43/5  rDev -1.3%

(From notes - can't resist reviewing even though my input is negligible with so many reviews already)

A - Dark tawny brown color with a creamier looking, slightly off-white head.

S - Pruney/raisiny maltiness with a bit of alcohol peeking through. Several layers of sweetness involved with candied sugar and a bit of an herbal aroma.

T - Maltiness dominates with the raisin and dark fruit flavors from the aroma really shining in the flavor. Sweek cakiness, toffee, and a little bit of lighter fruit flavors as well. Little touch of peppery alcohol.

M - Medium MF, but I might have expected this to be a little heavier considering the look and overall complexity. It does coat and cover the palate really well, and provided a warming finish.

D - Wonderfully drinkable with the numerous layers of flavor that hit the palate. Even though it is a rich brew, I had no trouble savoring every last bit of it.

Overall, I have to say that this lives up to the hype. Really fortunate to have tried this at least once, and I really hope to be able to have it again someday. Really is a shame I can't access this regularly. Wonderful brew.

Nickls, Apr 15, 2009
4.35/5  rDev -3.1%

On to the 8.

Pours a dark clear brown with a thin creme head. Nose is Chalky malts. Flavor is malty thick. Sugar tones are there as well. Feel is fairly vibrant on carbonation (much more than the 12) and the liquid is smooth. This is a nice beer, but I think I have come to the decision that the Westy brews are a class of their own. Unique and unlike anything else around. I am glad to have been able to try them, but they are a bit too unusual...even for my palate.

P.S. I appreciated this one more than the 12.

RblWthACoz, Apr 11, 2009
3.4/5  rDev -24.3%

Big thanks to tprokop7 for helping me knock off another holy grail. Makes a while i've been holding on to this so very happy to try it. Shared this with my wife while in the background the Thirsty Traveler was playing on TV and, you guessed it, he was visiting Belgium so kind of appropriate don't you think?

Best before Sept. 22, 2010.

Poured from their standard blank bottle (11.2 oz maybe?)

Appearance: Dark mahogany brown body with tiny flecks floating in the body. A tiny bit amber in the pour. Thick off-white/beige head, easily 3 fingers.

Smell: Fruity at first with some zest. Cloves, herbs and my wife smells rosemary also.

Taste: Big time herb presence with lots of spice and some dried fruit. The spices are a little overpowering, dry and a little rough. A little harsh, almost like eating a stem or some herbs. As it warms, it calms down a little at least and has some sherry presence but i still find it a little unbalanced for my taste. Not at all what i was expecting. Where's the malt presence & the sweetness?

Mouthfeel: Fair amount of carbonation but bitter on the palate. Again, better as it warms and a small improvement but it is still impeded by the taste.

Drinkabilty: Average, not too high. The harshness & bitterness of the herbs/spices was a little too much. I would give it another chance and it wasn't a chore to drink but wasn't a complete pleasure either.

Overall: A let down for me. A good beer but not an outstanding one from my point of view. It really felt like i was drinking liquid herbs (no other way to explain it) and really over-powered any other flavor that might have been there, not too pleasant. Still, i would like to try it again to give it another chance.

papat444, Apr 11, 2009
4.78/5  rDev +6.5%

Got this at De Bierkoning in Amsterdam.

From a bottle into a chalice.

APPEARANCE: Pours a 2-finger medium looking off-white / tan head with decent retention. No carbonation evident. Colour is a very opaque deep auburn or bistre brown. Beer is very thick looking with quite a few little floaties. Head settles to a decent film and leaves some immediate lacing. A thin film remains the whole way and leaves some decent lacing down the glass.

SMELL: Caramel malt, some toffee, and a healthy dose of dark fruits, mostly grapes, cherries and dates. Nose is medium strong and quite enticing. The grapes make is slightly red-wine like. Absolutely wonderful, but could be just a touch bolder for my liking.

TASTE: Very tasty for sure. Caramel malt again, but that's soon taken over by lots of fruity and spicy components. Dark fruits abound, cherries again, but the dark grapes shine though giving it a very wine-like characteristic. A touch of brown sugar and spices near the end, along with a slight alcohol punch and some bitterness at the end. Aftertaste is mild but long lasting, sweet and spicy, and very enjoyable. I've had a lot of these dubbels, and I really like the style, and this is the best tasting one I've had.

PALATE: Medium body, medium carbonation, velvety smooth on the palate. A cool twang in there as well. Goes down smooth, no bite, and finishes crisp. A nice job here.

OVERALL: This one is definitely worth the hype. Easily the best all-round Belgian dubbel I've had, and I've certainly had my share. I could never wait for the next sip. The smell and especially the taste profile make this one totally worthy of its top 10 spot and a must-try for every beer lover out there. I'll certainly be picking more of these up when I happen to see them. Recommended.

Jeffo, Apr 09, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pre 2000 Bottle from ajsdad.

Poured reddish/brown color with an average light brown head that lasted with good lacing. Very complex dark fruit, toffee and alcohol aroma. Medium to full body with a smooth texture and flat carbonation. Full complex dark fruiit sweet flavor with solid fruity sweet finish and a very small bite of alcohol.

Very good standout brew.

tmoneyba, Mar 31, 2009
4.72/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to ygtbsm94 for trading me this.

Best Before 29.09.10, so this is about a year and a half old. Poured in a big wine glass at 56 F/ 13 C.

Dark red-brown color, dense beige head, thick rings of lace.

Aroma is fruity, malty, spicy, nutty. Along the lines of fresh white grapes, cherries, Christmas pudding, and spiced pecans, with depth and complexity, very nice.

Tastes malty, fruity and spicy. Complex dark nutty fruity caramel malt flavors, quite tasty. Some mild solvent. The flavor develops on the palate for several seconds, with deep bourbon and astringent black tea and tobacco notes emerging. Great balance. Long fairly dry finish, complex malt and black tea.

Cushy fine carbonation, with some nice tealike astringency. No problems with drinkability, this is hard to put down.

Great beer. Big thanks to ygtbsm94, I was glad to try this with a little age on it.

Beerzebub, Mar 30, 2009
4.3/5  rDev -4.2%

A: Very, very dark brown, almost black. Poured with a massively carbonated tannish head that receded fairly quickly into a thin cap.

S: Belgian yeast is very prominent giving this one a pretty unique aroma. Spicy. Dark fruits and raisins. Good caramel malt component.

T/M: Everything on the smell. Yeasty, with lots of spicy notes. Big malt backbone with dark fruit and candi sugar. The mouthfeel is awesome. Lots of carbonation and a crisp relatively dry finish. Very mild lingering bitterness reminds you there are hops here too.

D: Very drinkable.

This is a very good beer that I was glad to be able to try. A benchmark as a well-crafted dubbel. But is it worthy of a top 10 rating on my list? Probably not.

abfraser, Mar 30, 2009
4.88/5  rDev +8.7%

Drank from a 33 cl bottle
28 10 09 was stamped on the cap
Served in a chalice

Acquired in a trade with nathan15

Review #400

The beer poured a deep chestnut color with ruby highlights when held to the light. A dense, creamy, tan, two-finger head capped the liquid. The head faded to a thick creamy ring and a lasting film. Some trickling lacing cascaded down the glass.

The aroma was amazingly unique and complex. Semi-sweet, fruity and malty rich with indications of dark candi sugar. Somewhat boozy. A unique, floral-like, Belgian yeast strain was immediately detectable, and it became more pronounced as the beer warmed. Some red wine-like characteristics were noticeable as well.

The taste was amazingly smooth and delicate. The first thing that hit me was the Belgian yeast strain that is so apparent in both the Westvleteran 8 and 12 beers. Pungent, flowery and slightly creamy. Very intriguing. Caramel malts came through up front. Dark, fruity, plum and raisin notes appeared in the center. Brown sugar and spice notes (clove and allspice) were also quite noticeable. A touch woody. As the beer warmed, the spiciness intensified. A slight twang came through on the crisp, off-dry, somewhat cider-like finish.

The mouthfeel was initially light, creamy, pillowy and amazingly supple on the palate, but it became less appealing with time. As the beer sat, the liquid became thinner and the carbonation seemed to turn more prickly.

Drinkability was outstanding. This beer was so incredibly smooth, balanced and flavorful. Furthermore, the 8% ABV was amazingly well hidden.

If I had to use one word to describe this beer it would be "graceful." Truly world-class in every sense.

Damian, Mar 07, 2009
4.43/5  rDev -1.3%

Kudos to vinthebrewer for getting a batch of Westy into Australia.

Bottle cap is dated 20/12/09.

Poured into a La Trappe chalice.

a) Murky dark brown, tinges of mahogany. Dense, foamy tan head, sinks slowly, looks good in the glass.

s) Sniffed in the glass: cherries, ginger powder, light lemonade note, musk. Sniffed in the bottle: chocolate, damp hay/barnyard.

f) Cherry chocolate liqueur, honeycomb. A long, lingering bready taste, with a very late bitterness and herbal note.

m) Light & creamy, alcohol warmth.

d) Very smooth, very drinkable, and very more-ish for the sweettooth. Wonderful

vancurly, Mar 06, 2009
4.43/5  rDev -1.3%

Pours a very dark brown, hazy looking, with a cm thick off-white head, that kind of falls back and sticks around. Looks about right. The smell is immediately of sweetness. There are notes of chocolate, mixed in with just a note of coffee. There is a tiny note of alcohol, a few estery smells. There is very faintly an earthy, spicy smell. The taste has a cola/caramel sweetness, but is backed with quite a bit of complexity. There's chocolate and raisins and dark roasted malts and tamarind with a pleasant estery finish. The alcohol warms on the finish, but is barely detectable otherwise. The mouthfeel could be a bit more chewy, but there is a bit of body to it, but the carbonation provides a pleasant tickle on the way down. The drinkability of this is really what shines. I just wanted to chug it down and go on to the next (and I'd certainly feel that one on my wallet), but I knew that I needed to wait and savor this one.

taylorhamrick, Mar 06, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -13.1%

Continuing a kick ass tasting at Mauerhan's. The big lug comes out the booth to open this puppy. Pretty damn cool I must say.

Looks good, legs keep running.

Smells good, as in who doesn't love Welch's grape juice?

Taste the grape juice, but also some tobacco leaves, tea leaves. Smooth stuff.

This is obviously a well crafted brew. Personally I'm not diggin it too much. Could be my lack of experience with dubbels, could be the fact that I'm an "uncultured motherfucker" as Mauerhan so poetically stated. As if that foul-mouthed sonofabitch is gonna culturize me.

His potty mouth aside, big display of generosity here. Ya bastard.

Overall: well crafted, not my thing

PatronWizard, Mar 03, 2009
4.38/5  rDev -2.4%

Brought a bottle to our BA tasting last night.
Poured a substantial head , Color was dark brownish. Not too murky, fairly clear -- but I had the first pour out of the bottle.
Smell: dried fruits, figs. just the slightest amount of hops noted.
Taste: sweet raisins. Malty, bready, very complex. Nicely carbonated.
Mouthfeel: Just like a nice belgian beer should be. Very well balanced.
Drinkability: I could drink 1 bottle by myself but due to the rarity, this probably won't be happening unless I make the trip to Belgium.

A very nice dubbel. The best I've had

JonathanL7890, Mar 02, 2009
Trappist Westvleteren 8 (VIII) from Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren)