Trappist Westvleteren 8 (VIII) - Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren)

Trappist Westvleteren 8 (VIII)Trappist Westvleteren 8 (VIII)

Wants: 1,213
Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) visit their website

Dubbel |  8.00% ABV

(Blue Cap)

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-03-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappist Westvleteren 8 (VIII) Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

An extremely humbled 'thank-you' to Viggo for being so kind in sharing this rare, revered treat!
Eric, I may just always spell your name with a heart over the letter 'I' from now on...
Blue cap, brewed in 2003 and stamped best before November 12/2006...savoured slightly later on May 26 2007. Happy to report while it may not be at it's 'supposed' "best" it was still amazing! A dark brown colour with big capping head. Aroma of chocolate covered raisins, dark, ripe fruits, plums, grapes, rich desserts (tiramisu?), and all sorts of things to tickle the imagination. The flavour has become (or maybe always was?) so incredibly mellow! Notes of dates and chocolate covered raisins foremost, with no indication of the alcohol and so rich yet mellowed. This is a beer you could sip and enjoy all night. Tremendous offering. Thanks again Viggo!

biegaman, May 31, 2007
4.58/5  rDev +2%

group tasting may 26/07 with biegaman, Viggo, Lexx, crwills, blankboy@RB, tupalev@RB, and me (grub). everybody threw something into the mix and we had a great lineup of beer. Viggo contributed this one, so thanks eric!

330ml bottle, best before 11-12-06.

pours reddish brown with a small dense tan head. the head drops fairly quickly and leaves spotty lace.

aroma is great. lots of dark fruit. hint of alcohol. wheat bread and biscuits. caramel and toffee.

taste is great. lots of dark fruit - date, plum, raisin. toffee and caramel. light alcohol. bready malt.

mouthfeel is great. light well-integrated carbonation. nice big body.

drinkability is excellent. well balanced and very enjoyable. the alcohol is nearly completely hidden. it's obvious that this is a lighter version of the 12, but it's very nice and good in its own way. huge thanks go out to eric for sharing this gem.

grub, May 28, 2007
4.88/5  rDev +8.7%

Split this one with my wife, & poured to a couple tasting glasses. It had been kept in the refrigerator, but warmed for quite a while before serving - temperature probably 50F. Date on the blue cap is: 10.11.09. Tasted on May 19, 2007 (the night before my 36th birthday), so this has had a little more than 6 months of age...

A: Even with careful pouring, a cloudy chestnut-brown ale roiled in the glass, tiny bits of dark yeast suspended throughout. Head is about 2-fingers high, quite fizzy & light-tan color. It ebbs slowly and leaves terrific-looking gobs of sticky lace.

S: Yeasty/malty and sweet-smelling. Spiciness of herbal black tea, cloves, raisins, candi sugar, ripe fruit (dates, plums, cherries). A more roasted grain smell develops as it sits and warms.

T: Complex flavors of dry cocoa, milk-chocolate covered raisins, nutmeg, cloves, tea and candi sugar. Some sweet toffee and a light smoked wood quality round out the flavors. Exquisitely spiced, surprisingly not as sweet and fruity as the aroma led me to expect.

M: So creamy and smooth, yet zesty with spiciness and loads of carbonation. It's fizzy, but not a heavy soda-like carbonation; a rather light, effervescent spritzy-type of fizz instead. Body is medium-full, a little sticky. Has a lengthy finish, where the dry and slightly bitter cocoa shines.

D: How does this compare to all the dubbels in the world (or beers, period)? I don't know, but I do know this is delicious and a pleasure to drink. It appeals to all the senses and, frankly, I'm glad this one lived up to the hype. Suffice to say, I look forward to the next occasion to share a bottle.

msubulldog25, May 25, 2007
4.83/5  rDev +7.6%

Thanks to upsjeff for this one!

Served at 50 degrees F, in a Corsendonk tulip glass.

Careful decanting yields a mostly clear, dark shoe polish brown body with a pillowy, rocky, slightly yeast-flecked, cream-khaki head. Nose is a complex mix of rich caramel, toasted malt, raisins, figs, tangy grapes (toward being vinous), milk chocolate, and sherry, with a faint metallic twang.

Malted milk chocolate and caramel notes up front. Slightly rummy fruit notes of raisins and figs develop. Dark candi sugar with a decidedly caramel character swells mid-palate, perfectly so. Slight woody, aged port quality near the finish. Toasty, yeasty, and warming, with lingering caramel and chocolate flavors. An absolutely delicious beer! Full-bodied with rolling, rollicking, bottle-conditioned carbonation that does a great job of lifting the dark sugar sweetness off the palate. Would love to have this readily and easily available. Maybe the best dubbel I have ever had.

alexgash, May 18, 2007

An excellent beer, and a must try for all advocates. I think this beer may be better than the Westy 12. Malty, slight fruit taste, and quite the big beer for the lower alcohol level. I'm sure this beer could be aged for a few years and still be delicious. Medium sized head with great lacing, this beer pours a ruby red, dark colour. I highly recommend this beer. Chris

Delerium, May 12, 2007
4.78/5  rDev +6.5%

Cap date: 28:10:09. Served in a Westvleteren chalice.

I was waiting until I had at least reached 250 beer karma points before reviewing this one, but I couldn't wait any longer. The memory and my notes were beginning to fade!

Appearance - lacey small head with a thin carbonation. A bit of lacing remaining in the tan head. Hazy dark pour

Smell - This was hard to place. Perhaps a bit of candy or fruity aroma but just slight, not overpowering. A malty aroma as well.

Taste - A wonderfully balanced malty presence with a lovely spice as well. This was hard to review due to the overall ease and balance to all of the flavors. Not one overpowering another.

Mouthfeel - The carbonation remains until the end allowing for a Crisp, clean and palate-cleansing of a finish. This was the highlight of this offering.

Drinkability - I'm glad I don't live in Belgium. The was by far the most enjoyable experience I've had (until I sampled the Westy 12 right afterwords). If I could get more, I would indeed have more. What a wonderful experience. Yes, there is a bit of "hype" with this beer, but in my opinion, it lives up to it.

Well done.

Nesued, May 06, 2007
4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

Thanks to akorsak for providing me with this bottle through a trade a few months ago. The cap says 08.06.09.

a - pours a deep dark brown with a burgundy tint, big tan head with great retention and lacing

s - big malty aroma, lots of dark fruits, prunes, raisin, very sweet smelling, no alcohol

t - big sweetness up front, lots of dark fruit just like the nose, some prune, raisin, body is solid maltiness with hints of aforementioned dark fruits, finish is slightly sweet with a lingering maltiness, no alcohol noticeable

m - medium-bodied, moderate carbonation, quite creamy, slightly dry on the finish, some warming

d - very drinkable, really the only (but major) thing limiting the drinkability is the massive costs associated with getting a bottle here in the US

Definitely an exceptional beer and one of the best Belgians I've tried. Glad I got the chance to try it, but I probably won't be having it again unless in Belgium.

WeisGuy, Apr 30, 2007
3.4/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pors a hazy, dark, brown caranberry color. A thick, uniform, dark eggshell heaad sits on top.
Candi sugar and clovelike aromas.
Candi and some spice character. Maybe some hop balance in therer. Fruity with some alcohol... nothing like it's bigger brother. Slightly funny twang in the aftertaste.
Medium bodied and highly carbonated with a super dry finish. Warming for sure.
Rather unimpressed with all the hype, but it's still pretty good. The dryness makes it easy to drink despite the alcohol.

BeerRun13, Apr 28, 2007
4.38/5  rDev -2.4%

I've had this one for a bit and finally decided to crack it open. Bottle cap reads 11.12.06. Pours into my glass a deep chocolate brown with a half inch of light tan fizzy bubbles on top of the brew. I got a little over zealous and ended up with some floaties in the glass. Otherwise it does looks nice...good head retention. Aromas start off with boozy dark fruits, raisins and rich dark malts. Notes of cocoa, molasses and leather all work in. Dark candy sugar comes to mind with a yeasty twang. Really quite nice.

First sip brings a smooth dark, slightly roasty maltiness that carries flavors of raisins and dark fruits with some cherry noticeable. A touch of cocoa works in with some sweetness but it's not overpowering. Some lightly spicy yeast tones follow on the way down along with a hint of a leathery flavor yet again. The brew finishes smooth with a light caramel, fruity finish. Tasty stuff indeed.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and rather smooth with a fast paced somewhat aggressive carbonation. Quite easy to drink and goes down almost too easily. A tasty treat of a brew and I'm glad to have had the opportunity to try it. I still prefer the 12 and I'm not gonna go out of my way to find this again considering the cost and the trouble involved. If I run across it or find myself in Belgium than that will be a different story :-).

orbitalr0x, Apr 26, 2007
4.22/5  rDev -6%

Cap printed with the date 09 - 09 - 02. Enjoyed thoroughly on 04/10/07.
The first half of the bottle pours a fairly clear reddish brown. Some floating specks of sediment, but nothing too severe. Tiny bubbles float up regularly. Dense, rocky ivory head. The last bit of the bottle pours like molten chocolate, considerably darkening up the beer, making it entirely opaque. Aroma is rich, with gentle complexity, coming across as honey, almond and apple laying atop a soft, powdered chocolate malt earth. The flavor opens with a surge of carbonation, followed by a dusty, hazelnut-chocolate wash. Muted and glowing brown, like the Belgian artist Rubens' "Old Woman with a Chafing Dish". (http://www.abcgallery.com/R/rubens/rubens11.html) Medium bodied, rather sprightly on the palate. Very rounded in texture, providing a full experience. Nutty overall, the chocolate flavor blending masterfully with the yeasty characteristics. Some aged flavors, mostly dusted, papery honey. Works very well with the nutty hazelnut and almond taste. I think I prefer this to the 12. Excellent.

UnionMade, Apr 10, 2007
4.45/5  rDev -0.9%

This bottle was labeled best before 6/8/09 (american style) and we drank it on 3/31/07 to celebrate my girlfriends birthday. I poured it into a Chimay goblet and served it at around 51 degF. It has a thick off white head that sits atop a very dark brown body. It's not black like a stout, but light doesn't get through the sides either. It's kind of weird like that. The aroma is very sweet and malty, but it isn't very strong. The taste is good, but not as good as I had hoped. Granted, my expectations were very high and it still is a good beer. It is very malty and sweet with some dark fruits in there, but there is a slight bite from something in there. The mouthfeel is dead on...perfect full bodied creaminess. The drinkability is also pretty high, although I do prefer the 12 to this.

drseamus, Apr 02, 2007
3.9/5  rDev -13.1%

Deep brown in color-huge, fluffy tan head. Slight aroma of raisens and dried fruits. Solid malty flavor-trace of roasted malt. Again with the dried fruits. Moderate level of candy like sweetness at times. High level of carbonation makes it very bright on the tongue. Quite dry in the finish. Overall a good beer. I think I preferred the 12. Doesnt live up to the hype for me. I wish it was more readily available and at a better price to really form a solid opinion.

lackenhauser, Mar 06, 2007
4.58/5  rDev +2%

Poured out a caramel brown color, murky, with a creamy tan head and some minimal sticky lacing. The nose has some toffee sweetness, strawberry, hickory, mollasses, bbq, caramel, banana, and brown sugar. The taste is bananas, anise, chocolate, caramel, alcohol, and yeast. The mouthfeel had some tight prickly carbonation. There's a bit of cloying to an otherwise spectacular finish. My overall impression is that althought this is an amazing beer, it's riding the cotails of the 12 to its high rating.

dherling, Feb 28, 2007
4.97/5  rDev +10.7%

Poured from a bottle hand-carried back from the abbey & aged 1 1/2 years. It is a very cloudy orange-tined dark brown with a thin head comprised of microscopic bubbles that create a light tan head & leave beautiful lacing. Smells of oranges, plums, and spices (nutmeg & cloves?). It also has a hint of dark maple syrup lurking in the background. The taste goes through more changes than I can count. Dry cocoa gives way to dark fruits (rum soaked oranges and plums), then a nuttiness that melds into an oak aftertaste, and then a finish like brown sugar. The mouthfeel is chewy and smooth, substantial and lovely. A bit drier at then end than I'd like, if I'm splitting hairs from split hairs. The drinkability is phenomenal, with a warmth that blooms from the alcohol but not a hint of any harshness. In fact, the smooth, melded flavors are the only thing that linger. And they beg to be repeated. Seriously, this one's drinkability is only limited by the lengths to which you have to go to get it. If you can? GET IT!

roblowther, Feb 26, 2007

This beer pours a murky dark brown color, with a very thick and fluffy tan head. The head fades very slowly, leaving a huge amount of lacing.

This beer has a sweet aroma. I detect some molasses and some caramel. It also smells a bit spicy. Some coriander and orange peal. Maybe just a touch of cloves. It smells of figs also. It has an earthy yeast aroma as well.

This beer tastes great. Every flavor is sublte, and it balances very well. Spices up front. Some fig flavor also. It tastes sweet with some caramel flavors. Plumbs and raisins also make an appearence.

This beer goes down smooth, leaving a slightly spicy aftertaste. It is carbonated perfectly. It is crisp and refreshing.

I think this beer would make a great session beer. It tastes great, and it is only a little high in alcohol.

Overall: Thank you so much HimerMan for this unexpected but definately apreciated beer. It was everything I expected and more.

OStrungT, Feb 23, 2007
4.68/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured into my Aventinus goblet.

Very nice dark amber brown with, dare I say the biggest head I have ever seen on a beer! Good gawd, half the bottle and this thing was almost out of the goblet! Huge lively carbonation and streams of bubbles ripped through the glass, this looks like it has teeth!

The smell was very spicey at first, tingled the nose. Hints of dark fruit, pears, apples, cinnamon, figs, I could go on. The smel was tremendous and very inviting. A kind of candy sweetness almost to it as well. This is complex, am I ready, I don't know but I have to take a chance...down we gooo....

The taste cannot really be described. Pick your favorite belgian, and its not quite good enough t compare. Rich complex flavors( have I mentioned the word complex?) Spices and fruits are all over the spectrum and I don't even know where to begin. Pears, figs, cinnamon again are al over this. Cherry maybe, definatly apple. Sugars that I have nver tasted before. Yummy as hell. The taste is like nothing I have ever tasted in a beer before.

The feel on this is extrodinary. So alive, it literally is popping in your mouth as you sip. So smooth and the taste just lingers for what seems like an eternity. Simply wonderful. I am glad I picked this up, just at the least to see if it lived upto the hype, and it does! I cannot begin to imagine what the 12 must be like, the one in my fridge will let me know soon enough!

mikesgroove, Feb 14, 2007
4.72/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Scores high for me with a perfect interaction behind the yeast and malt traditions of a strong Belgum Ale. Like the palate with a smooth delivery but not soft and meaningless. Tones of chocolate. caramel and you name the fuit are a nice dry complement to a beer that continues to deliver in wide temperature range. An absolute top 50 beer.

browner, Feb 11, 2007
4.95/5  rDev +10.2%

330ml Bottle best by date 8/28/2006 pulled from the back of my cellar. I had six of these that were purchased in late 2004 and this is the last one.

Poured into a Westmalle chalice...deep chestnut with yeasties floating everywhere. Nice tight bubbles crawl up the side and form a nice off white head. The smell is somewhat subdued, but gives off hints of malt, yeast, candi sugar, cherry and slight lemon zest.

This is by far the best dubbel on the market. The taste is very complex with cherries, grain, chocolate and ends with a lemon zest that gives it a most refreshing flavor. All of the hops have faded away at this point, but the beer has held up very well after close to four years. The alcohol comes in at the very end of this beer in a most pleasant way. The mouthfeel is thin to medium and the flavors really coat the entire mouth.

Drinkability is about as perfect as a beer gets. This without a doubt is one of my favorite beers. Truly world class. I have had the 12 on two occasions and still think I prefer the 8. I will truly miss having this beer on hand.

ddarden, Jan 31, 2007
4.7/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured from my bottle to my snifter a dark reddish/brown and unable to see through with a large tan head that leaves some nice lace around the glass. Smell has some fruity notes and the taste is very rich and complex with somewhat dried fruit flavors of raisin and prune and a touch of carbonation. This is one excellently crafted beer and is highly drinkable but only having one small bottle of this brew is not nearly enough time to explore the complexity of this beer.

Alkey, Jan 30, 2007
4.72/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Presentation: A Brown .331 bottle with no label or anything else on it except the blue number 8 cap. I also served this special one in the Westvleteren calice glass.

Appearance: Poured a deep dark ruby colour with a chunky cream colored head with a patch lace that stayed around for awhile.

Smell: This brew smelled incredible. A nice blend of sugar, yeast, toffee and spices.

Taste: This is an extremely simple yet complicated brew. An outstanding malt flavor hits the tongue with chocolate, coffee, licorice overtures that whirl your tongue into frenzy. Then the honey and prune overtures kick in which was a splendid surprise to say the least. The yeast had a tea like Zen to it that balanced perfectly with the sweet and malt flavors of the brew.

Mouth-Feel: Perfectly smooth on the palate with a awesome creamy mouth-feel. The carbonation was just right and it finished very dry with a slickness you don’t see from many brews.

Drink-Ability: I am going to go as far as to say this is one of the best beers in the world! I am so happy that I came across this gem and I can’t wait to get my hands on this again!

mnesporov, Jan 26, 2007
4.93/5  rDev +9.8%

Thanks to Cooperrip for this bottle. Xmas gift in '05, just drinking it now.
Best by date of 10/10/06 stamped on bottlecap. I'm not sure how old the bottle is, but judging by the date, it's got a few years on it.

Poured into my Trappist Rochefort chalace at slight cooler than cellar temp.

Large head of HUGE bubbles, tan, thick. Good retention. Head fades eventually to a nice ring of lace.
Burnished brown color. Slightly hazy. Almost the exact color of the bottle it was just released from. Thin layer of carbonation bubbles fill the bottom of the chalace. Layer of sediment forms towards the bottom as well. Yes I poured the yeast. I wanted to taste the ENTIRE offering.

Where do I start with the smell? Fresh baked shortbread cookies, candy sugar, malt, slight cherry mustiness, deep fruity sweetness, some yeast aroma. Can't discern any hops character in the nose. Slight alcohol aroma, but only after twirling the chalace roughly.
Now for the taste. Chocolatey, deep bread flavors, figs, malty, some nut-bitterness towards the back of the tongue.
Medium mouthfeel with mild carbonation. Oh so drinkable.
Creamy, luscious, delicious. Yes, delicioius. A very broad word used to describe something. Very few things in life can simply be described as delicious. This is one of those special things.

Brewfan, Jan 25, 2007
4.28/5  rDev -4.7%

11.2 oz bottle poured into a goblet, Best By date of 10-11-09 printed on cap, really 11-10-09.

Smell is in line with the style, very fruity, sweet, hint of alcohol. Just how I like my Dubbels to smell.

Taste is very complex, almost snobby to a point. A dry fruitiness hits your tongue first, followed by a sharp meld of berrys, bitterness, and a faint poke of alcohol. Very dry and smooth, a different road was taken making this one, far out of the way of most Dubbels.

Overall, an exquisite example of the style. Not just worth seeking out for its reputation, but worth seeking out if only to have a Dubbel like you've never had before. If you see it, trample everyone between you and this brew, you'll thank me.

leftmindedrighty, Jan 14, 2007
4.58/5  rDev +2%

Special thanks to Jetsbeer for this bottle.

5/20/2009 best before date

A: Pours a dark, cloudy copper with a big fluffy head. Good sustain and lots of lacing.

S: Aromas of raisins, red wine, and a touch of alcohol. Smaller smell than expected.

T: Big, complex taste that saturates the mouth. Spicy with flavors of plums and currants and a warm alcoholic heat.

M: Full-bodied and heavy. For a Belgian, the carbonation in this is quite moderate, a trait that pleases me.

D: No doubt about it, this is a wonderful beer. A bit lacking in aroma, but the complexities of the flavor make up for it. I probably won't get out of my way to get this beer again, but if the opportunity is there, I'l gladly take it.

klewis, Jan 11, 2007
4.85/5  rDev +8%

My 500th review, so I thought I would make it special.

Thanks goes to BitterBill on this one, for a Merry Christmas.

Used a chalice for this one, as it deserves. Pours a very dark clear amber color, nice carbonation, nice off-white almost 2 finger head which lasts quite awhile, leaves some nice islands and sticky lacing. The nose is of sweet malts, yeast, grapes, figs, raisins, slight caramel. The taste is absolutely delicious of malts/yeast, and grapes. Very tangy, a nice touch of fizzy on the tongue as it goes down, pretty carbonated. Medium body, a very complex brew. Very drinkable, ABV hidden very well, not noticeable in the nose or taste for that matter. Highly recommended.

Wasatch, Jan 10, 2007
4.1/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Served into a snifter, pours a nice amber-brown, murky with a nice big frothy, tan head. Smells of yeasts, sour, citrus, alcohol, nutmeg, cinnamon, metallic. Tastes of cinnamon, alcohol, some hops, malts, light sugar. Good mouthfeel; nice carbonation and moderatley thick, foam creates nice cream taste. Good in all areas; but lacking on complexity.

Graham21, Jan 06, 2007
Trappist Westvleteren 8 (VIII) from Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren)