Trappist Westvleteren 8 (VIII) - Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren)

Trappist Westvleteren 8 (VIII)Trappist Westvleteren 8 (VIII)

Wants: 1,244
Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) visit their website

Dubbel |  8.00% ABV

(Blue Cap)

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-03-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappist Westvleteren 8 (VIII) Alström Bros
4.83/5  rDev +7.6%

I have gotten a second batch of the Westvleteren 8 and the one I am having tonight seem to differ slightly from my first Westy 8; this time round, the 8 pours out with a huge tan white head which
refuses to settle; color was dark blackish brown. Smell was brown sugars, yeast, dark fruits and some syruppy nuttiness which I can't really describe. The taste was just as great as when I first had it strong dark fruitiness, caramel, malts and dark maple sweetness hit me at once. Nearing the finish I could pick up plums, berries, apples and raisins in the taste and the finish came a little bitter (this was slightly more bitter than my previous experience with the Westy 8) and with a nutty dryness with a slight sourness (the sourness was not experienced previously). The finish came leaving lot's of sweet dark fruit aromas on the nose. The after taste that kicked in had tastes of pears, apples, raisins, grapes; it was like an explosion of fruits which keeps leaving strong and pleasant fruity aromas on the nose. The finale in the after taste was somewhat grapes, raisins and brown sugar sweetness which lingered on. The mouth feel was close to full body and carbonation was at a great level; this dubbel was slightly creamy and very smooth to drink with a very slight alcohol warming. The bitterness was more pronounced this time round; not sure if it had anything to do with the huge head of yeast that developed in this pour as compared to the last
time when I hardly got a head on the pour. I did not enjoy it as much as the last time though it was just as great except for the more pronounced bitterness.

4.78/5  rDev +6.5%

I poured a 330 ml bottle into a cooled challis. I sampled a Westy 8 earlier this year then set two aside for later and use in composing this review. Now the time is ripe to taste the second of three bottles. The last will remain in my stash for a follow on review sometime down the road.

A: It poured a rich deep dark brown with a hint of bright amber at the edges of the glass with backlighting. It had a moderate (about one finger) caramel colored head. The head receded quickly leaving a light covering over the beer and a lace ring that left a pretty laced down the side of the glass as I rained the challis.

S: Nice aroma of brown sugar and molasses was detected first followed by dark fruits (ripe plums and figs). As I worked my way thought the experienced I picked up toffee and a rich dark chocolate aroma that was very pleasing to my nose.

T: Yummy…on my tongue and in my tummy. It was a rich creamy brew with a wonderful balance of coco, caramel, and an underlying spice (a hint of black pepper) that give this beer a nice refreshing bite. The balance of this beer is as amazing as its big brother. There is a subtle warm afterglow on my tongue influenced by the alcohol but my tongue feels like it has just been coated with a fondue dipped plum.

M: It was full bodied, creamy, and rich. It smooth…silky…well balanced. It leaves a joyous aftertaste that only invites me to drink more.

D: This is a wonderful beer with great balance, flavor, mouthfill and complexity. Beer drinkers need to say a special prayer for the fine monks of Saint Sixtus.

Comment: I continue to be amazed at the skills tucked away in far away Belgium. I only wish I had discovered this rare corner of the world thirty years ago. I only hope my wallet can continue to afford me the pleasure of one of the world’s great beers.

Thanks to my boy Greg (tpd975) for this beauty.

11.2 oz. bottle poured into my Chimay goblet with 09.08.10 stamped on the cap.

Pours a super dark, rich, amber hue with a big fluffy two finger khaki colored head that slowly dies down. There are some spots in the head that are darker than others, perhaps some sediment I should have let in the bottle. Stickiness is amazing. Holds on to all sides of the glass and doesn't plan on letting go. Smell is a huge dark fruit aroma of mainly dates, plums, and raisins. There's also a sweet molasses scent mixed with brown sugar and a hint of pears. Finally, some fresh honey mixed with a yeasty scent and some caramel malt. Wow, just like its brother Westy 12, complex on the nose. Taste starts off with a spicey sweetness which is followed by the big caramel malt flavor. All of those dark fruits as mentioned before come into play again on the tongue. That's what I like, a beer that lives up to how it smells. I also sense some floral flavors on the tongue as well. Mouthfeel is beyond perfect, if that's possible. So soft, so balanced, so fluffy, so pure. The head lightly flows over the tongue so smoothly, I think I just had a beergasm. I detect no alcohol anywhere with this brew. If God pissed, this would come out. As much as I loved the Westy 12, this easily beats it in my opinion. Perfect 5, you better believe it bitches. I need more of this stuff, NOW!! Greg, hook a brother up!!

Photo of
4.25/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

11.2oz bottle

Dark brown/orange, slightly hazy. Medium sized, light tan head. Some lacing and legs.

Citrus initially, which faded as the temperature increased, moved more towards a herbal type of flavor. Belgian funk. Honey. Raisins.

Sweet more than bitter, which increases as I drink. Alcohol. Licorice. Dark fruits and some tea flavors. Strong herbal finish.

Medium + body. Medium + carbonation -- could tone down a bit. Surprisingly dry. Slightly husky/grainy texture.

Very complex and nicely balanced. Hell of a beer. Improves a lot as it warms. Perhaps my expectations were too high, but this wasn't as good as I was expecting.

4.65/5  rDev +3.6%

Shared this with two other BeerAdvocate members.
Pours a dark cocoa color with a creamy head. The smell is a raisin, creamy malt, sweet sugars, fruity, molasses, its all in there. Taste is dark chocolate, rich malt, cake type flavors (like the 12), with a stronger warming alcohol presence. Slightly less carbonation than the 12. One of my fellow BA buddies said after his second sip... "Woah, I could drink this all day".

4.85/5  rDev +8%

This beer pours with the most attractive thick light brown foam that does not want to settle. Huge amounts of lacing. Has a brown colour with some purple mixed in.

Smells of raisins, spices, fruits and chewing tobacco (sound weird but I used to chew and it reminds me of a fresh tin but not nearly as strong). Very complex the alcohol just sneaks in to say hello.

The mouth is packed with flavors, some fruits, malt, spice, caramel, the alcohol sneaks in as it warms up more, and has more flavours on the finish, pepper, and the fruits come back to mind. I wish I could drink this everyday but I am glad to have two more in my cellar. They will certainly be enjoyed! A gift from the beer gods.

4.72/5  rDev +5.1%

My 301st review; and what a beer to review for #301, thanks to a fellow northern Colorado B-A who shared this with me in a side-by-side with a Westvleteren 12. What an hour! Amazing! Well, on to the review . . .

Served at about 55 degrees.

Slow pour into a tulip glass yields a tight, thick and completely permanent half-inch tan-yellowish head over a gorgeous hazy mahogany body. Head is really pretty.

Smell is spiced figs, pepper, walnuts, raisins, yeasty bread dough, and clover. Complex smell, and it gets better the warmer the brew. I just kept sniffing and sniffing this beer. Mmmm

Taste is yeasty-spicey, toasted raisin-bread, and then that walnut flavor is there. Dates and figs, and then a long dry peppery-spicey finish. Not a complex as its big brother, but for a Dubbel, what a set of flavors!

Mouthfeel is nice and round, full and well-spread by the long-lasting, fine carbonation.

Drinkability is superb. This is so complex, and the alcohol so completely hidden, I could drink these at length.

Once again, this beer measures up to its hyped up reputation. Certainly the world's best Dubbel.

Thanks again to my fellow (anonymous) B-A for sharing this fantastic beer. Man, you are excellent!

4.25/5  rDev -5.3%

Appearance: Deep amber in color, rather clear, with a large white head, thick, scattered lacing, and modest carbonation.

Aroma: Rich molasses, spices, dark fruits, and sweet alcohol.

Taste: Opens with a mildly spicy note, followed by strong earth notes, and roasted malt, and a complex array of lesser flavors, wood, licorice, bitter cocoa, and grape skin. Finishes strongly malty, with the complex palette of flavors carry on to the end of the taste, and beyond, and with a lingering herbal hop flavor.

Mouth feel: Smooth, soft, quite full, with a small burst of carbonation.

Drinkability/notes: A wonderfully well-crafted example, well worth the high price its typically commands outside of Belgium.

Many thanks to HardTarget for graciously sharing this rare example.

4.83/5  rDev +7.6%

A- 1/2" tan head on a really dark brown body.
S- A blend of dark fruits, caramel malt body, hints of breads, plums, cherries, a light hint of hops too.
T- A very nice balance of plums, cherries, and few other dark fruits. Light toffee body. A really complex malt body. Light breads and hints of yeast.
M- Medium body with more champagna carbonation.
D- I really like this brew a lot I think this might be one of my favorite dubbels.

3.9/5  rDev -13.1%

Been waiting a few weeks to crack one of these beauties. Finishes off the top 10 BA brews for me until another makes its way to the top echelon.

Very nice looking ale here. Dark mahagony musty brown with some floaties and completely opaque. A wonderful tannish head is full and fluffy and has great retention and leaves some thin sticky lacing behind. Reminiscent of what you would think a monk would brew.

Damn fine nose that's damn hard to quit sniffing. Spicey apple tart, with sour bing cherries, candied sugar, stove top cooking caramel oozes olfactor gestures, belgian yeasts and other belgian spice, maple and brown sugar. Fig, white raisin, and dates as well. One fine fine nose on this beer.

Very nice beer but not as nice as the nose. A little burn in the chest as well even at 8%. Not as complex as the nose but big and meaty nonetheless. Very dry finish with a dried mixed berry end. Again fig and white raisin with hints of mollasses and maple. Nice malty mid palate with dominating toffee and caramel. Dates and prune fill things out and then some more ripe flavors of cherry and red baked apple. Mouth is creamy with moderate carbonation. Very good beer but not as complex in flavor as I anticipated.

4.1/5  rDev -8.7%

Special shout out to tpd975 for providing a chance to taste this special brew.

The smell was dominated by cherries and caramel. I am very impressed!

The appearance was and opaque dark amber, with about 1/4 inch of beige head.

In the taste I found caramel, butterscotch, toffee, a little bit of alcohol, and a slight bitterness at the end of the swallow. The mouthfeel was medium.

This is a very drinkable and enjoyable beer. I had expected it to be more creamy - but maybe my bottle is pretty fresh and would benefit from more aging.

4.88/5  rDev +8.7%

I finally scored a few bottles of this amazing beer. Poured into a goblet, the dark brown liquid was topped by a frothy head that slowly dissipated. The aroma was very complex, with hints of raisins, figs and spices. The flavor of sweet malt and candi sugar, figs, raisins, cinnamon and a slight sour note of cherries was followed by a lingering hop bitterness. Carbonation was spot on, just enough to notice without detracting from the smoothest mouthfeel I've experienced in a beer. This is a very complex tasting beer - every sip brings a new flavor, yet it's all smoothly integrated into a surprisingly drinkable brew.

Quite honestly, it's currently the best beer I've ever tasted.

Blue cap stamped "26 08 05." Obtained via trade with Peabody, my new favorite person on earth.

Modest pour into my Westvleteren goblet (god it feels good to pour a beer into its specific glass) results in a 1.5 finger vanilla head that peaks a millimeter above the rim of the glass. The beer itself is dark brown and quite murky due to some yeast that snuck into the pour.

I get fig, raisin, sour cherry, chocolate, cocoa, yeast, dough, candi sugar, and probably a lot more on the nose.

Taste is unbelievable. Every flavor flows into the next with ease and seamlessness. A perfect level of doughy malt flavor sets a foundation upon which cocoa, rum, fig, and cinnamon frolic. I don't see how any other beer could possibly have so many flavors blended with such subtlety and balance.

I would give mouthfeel a 5.5 if I could. Smooth as the finest silk. The carbonation is absolutely quintessential, end of story.

I want to drink a barrel of this beer. Overrated? No.

4.45/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Westvleteren Extra 8
12 oz bottle
Brewed 10/06, beatified 06/07
Moderate pour in a chalice and brandy snifter.

Poured a mysterious dark brown with amber red highlights with a moderate somewhat lasting frothy off white head.

Smelt of moderate candi sugar, spices ( cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, anise), dried figs and raisins, doughy yeast.

Flavor was upfront strong sweet candi sugar and sweet dark bread and bitter spices. Very reminiscent of a warm slice of buttered cinnamon raisin bread or hot cross buns. On the follow through a buzzing strong bitter grassy hops presence is felt as well as a multitude of spices, with a moderate yeasty kick and sweet bread and caramel flavors on an average to long finish.

Palate was medium bodied, oily to creamy,softly carbonated, lightly astringent and slightly alcoholic.

Overall, this is like the 12 but with a less pronounced alcoholic aspect. The 8 seemed a bit hoppier too. Great balance again, in depth, strength and length of flavors. Overall, excellent stuff. Thank you monks!

4.6/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

11.2 oz bottle.

Huge thanks go out to BillyB for hooking me up with a bottle of this rare beer.

Murky brown color..tan foam slowly recedes to leave behind plenty of sticky, tan lacing. Some dark sediment/yeast floating about if you look close.
Aroma of spices, candied malt, banana..etc, etc.. incredible.
Dark fruits are abundant..plums & raisins take center stage. In addition to that, there are more subtle, sweet fruit flavors such as apple & pear. Delicate mouthfeel, very smooth texture...drinkability is as good as it gets.

An absolute privilege to drink..if you can find this beer, take the time necessary to enjoy every last drop.

4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

An extremely humbled 'thank-you' to Viggo for being so kind in sharing this rare, revered treat!
Eric, I may just always spell your name with a heart over the letter 'I' from now on...
Blue cap, brewed in 2003 and stamped best before November 12/2006...savoured slightly later on May 26 2007. Happy to report while it may not be at it's 'supposed' "best" it was still amazing! A dark brown colour with big capping head. Aroma of chocolate covered raisins, dark, ripe fruits, plums, grapes, rich desserts (tiramisu?), and all sorts of things to tickle the imagination. The flavour has become (or maybe always was?) so incredibly mellow! Notes of dates and chocolate covered raisins foremost, with no indication of the alcohol and so rich yet mellowed. This is a beer you could sip and enjoy all night. Tremendous offering. Thanks again Viggo!

4.58/5  rDev +2%

group tasting may 26/07 with biegaman, Viggo, Lexx, crwills, blankboy@RB, tupalev@RB, and me (grub). everybody threw something into the mix and we had a great lineup of beer. Viggo contributed this one, so thanks eric!

330ml bottle, best before 11-12-06.

pours reddish brown with a small dense tan head. the head drops fairly quickly and leaves spotty lace.

aroma is great. lots of dark fruit. hint of alcohol. wheat bread and biscuits. caramel and toffee.

taste is great. lots of dark fruit - date, plum, raisin. toffee and caramel. light alcohol. bready malt.

mouthfeel is great. light well-integrated carbonation. nice big body.

drinkability is excellent. well balanced and very enjoyable. the alcohol is nearly completely hidden. it's obvious that this is a lighter version of the 12, but it's very nice and good in its own way. huge thanks go out to eric for sharing this gem.

4.88/5  rDev +8.7%

Split this one with my wife, & poured to a couple tasting glasses. It had been kept in the refrigerator, but warmed for quite a while before serving - temperature probably 50F. Date on the blue cap is: 10.11.09. Tasted on May 19, 2007 (the night before my 36th birthday), so this has had a little more than 6 months of age...

A: Even with careful pouring, a cloudy chestnut-brown ale roiled in the glass, tiny bits of dark yeast suspended throughout. Head is about 2-fingers high, quite fizzy & light-tan color. It ebbs slowly and leaves terrific-looking gobs of sticky lace.

S: Yeasty/malty and sweet-smelling. Spiciness of herbal black tea, cloves, raisins, candi sugar, ripe fruit (dates, plums, cherries). A more roasted grain smell develops as it sits and warms.

T: Complex flavors of dry cocoa, milk-chocolate covered raisins, nutmeg, cloves, tea and candi sugar. Some sweet toffee and a light smoked wood quality round out the flavors. Exquisitely spiced, surprisingly not as sweet and fruity as the aroma led me to expect.

M: So creamy and smooth, yet zesty with spiciness and loads of carbonation. It's fizzy, but not a heavy soda-like carbonation; a rather light, effervescent spritzy-type of fizz instead. Body is medium-full, a little sticky. Has a lengthy finish, where the dry and slightly bitter cocoa shines.

D: How does this compare to all the dubbels in the world (or beers, period)? I don't know, but I do know this is delicious and a pleasure to drink. It appeals to all the senses and, frankly, I'm glad this one lived up to the hype. Suffice to say, I look forward to the next occasion to share a bottle.

4.83/5  rDev +7.6%

Thanks to upsjeff for this one!

Served at 50 degrees F, in a Corsendonk tulip glass.

Careful decanting yields a mostly clear, dark shoe polish brown body with a pillowy, rocky, slightly yeast-flecked, cream-khaki head. Nose is a complex mix of rich caramel, toasted malt, raisins, figs, tangy grapes (toward being vinous), milk chocolate, and sherry, with a faint metallic twang.

Malted milk chocolate and caramel notes up front. Slightly rummy fruit notes of raisins and figs develop. Dark candi sugar with a decidedly caramel character swells mid-palate, perfectly so. Slight woody, aged port quality near the finish. Toasty, yeasty, and warming, with lingering caramel and chocolate flavors. An absolutely delicious beer! Full-bodied with rolling, rollicking, bottle-conditioned carbonation that does a great job of lifting the dark sugar sweetness off the palate. Would love to have this readily and easily available. Maybe the best dubbel I have ever had.

An excellent beer, and a must try for all advocates. I think this beer may be better than the Westy 12. Malty, slight fruit taste, and quite the big beer for the lower alcohol level. I'm sure this beer could be aged for a few years and still be delicious. Medium sized head with great lacing, this beer pours a ruby red, dark colour. I highly recommend this beer. Chris

4.78/5  rDev +6.5%

Cap date: 28:10:09. Served in a Westvleteren chalice.

I was waiting until I had at least reached 250 beer karma points before reviewing this one, but I couldn't wait any longer. The memory and my notes were beginning to fade!

Appearance - lacey small head with a thin carbonation. A bit of lacing remaining in the tan head. Hazy dark pour

Smell - This was hard to place. Perhaps a bit of candy or fruity aroma but just slight, not overpowering. A malty aroma as well.

Taste - A wonderfully balanced malty presence with a lovely spice as well. This was hard to review due to the overall ease and balance to all of the flavors. Not one overpowering another.

Mouthfeel - The carbonation remains until the end allowing for a Crisp, clean and palate-cleansing of a finish. This was the highlight of this offering.

Drinkability - I'm glad I don't live in Belgium. The was by far the most enjoyable experience I've had (until I sampled the Westy 12 right afterwords). If I could get more, I would indeed have more. What a wonderful experience. Yes, there is a bit of "hype" with this beer, but in my opinion, it lives up to it.

Well done.

4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

Thanks to akorsak for providing me with this bottle through a trade a few months ago. The cap says 08.06.09.

a - pours a deep dark brown with a burgundy tint, big tan head with great retention and lacing

s - big malty aroma, lots of dark fruits, prunes, raisin, very sweet smelling, no alcohol

t - big sweetness up front, lots of dark fruit just like the nose, some prune, raisin, body is solid maltiness with hints of aforementioned dark fruits, finish is slightly sweet with a lingering maltiness, no alcohol noticeable

m - medium-bodied, moderate carbonation, quite creamy, slightly dry on the finish, some warming

d - very drinkable, really the only (but major) thing limiting the drinkability is the massive costs associated with getting a bottle here in the US

Definitely an exceptional beer and one of the best Belgians I've tried. Glad I got the chance to try it, but I probably won't be having it again unless in Belgium.

3.4/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pors a hazy, dark, brown caranberry color. A thick, uniform, dark eggshell heaad sits on top.
Candi sugar and clovelike aromas.
Candi and some spice character. Maybe some hop balance in therer. Fruity with some alcohol... nothing like it's bigger brother. Slightly funny twang in the aftertaste.
Medium bodied and highly carbonated with a super dry finish. Warming for sure.
Rather unimpressed with all the hype, but it's still pretty good. The dryness makes it easy to drink despite the alcohol.

4.38/5  rDev -2.4%

I've had this one for a bit and finally decided to crack it open. Bottle cap reads 11.12.06. Pours into my glass a deep chocolate brown with a half inch of light tan fizzy bubbles on top of the brew. I got a little over zealous and ended up with some floaties in the glass. Otherwise it does looks nice...good head retention. Aromas start off with boozy dark fruits, raisins and rich dark malts. Notes of cocoa, molasses and leather all work in. Dark candy sugar comes to mind with a yeasty twang. Really quite nice.

First sip brings a smooth dark, slightly roasty maltiness that carries flavors of raisins and dark fruits with some cherry noticeable. A touch of cocoa works in with some sweetness but it's not overpowering. Some lightly spicy yeast tones follow on the way down along with a hint of a leathery flavor yet again. The brew finishes smooth with a light caramel, fruity finish. Tasty stuff indeed.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and rather smooth with a fast paced somewhat aggressive carbonation. Quite easy to drink and goes down almost too easily. A tasty treat of a brew and I'm glad to have had the opportunity to try it. I still prefer the 12 and I'm not gonna go out of my way to find this again considering the cost and the trouble involved. If I run across it or find myself in Belgium than that will be a different story :-).

4.22/5  rDev -6%

Cap printed with the date 09 - 09 - 02. Enjoyed thoroughly on 04/10/07.
The first half of the bottle pours a fairly clear reddish brown. Some floating specks of sediment, but nothing too severe. Tiny bubbles float up regularly. Dense, rocky ivory head. The last bit of the bottle pours like molten chocolate, considerably darkening up the beer, making it entirely opaque. Aroma is rich, with gentle complexity, coming across as honey, almond and apple laying atop a soft, powdered chocolate malt earth. The flavor opens with a surge of carbonation, followed by a dusty, hazelnut-chocolate wash. Muted and glowing brown, like the Belgian artist Rubens' "Old Woman with a Chafing Dish". (http://www.abcgallery.com/R/rubens/rubens11.html) Medium bodied, rather sprightly on the palate. Very rounded in texture, providing a full experience. Nutty overall, the chocolate flavor blending masterfully with the yeasty characteristics. Some aged flavors, mostly dusted, papery honey. Works very well with the nutty hazelnut and almond taste. I think I prefer this to the 12. Excellent.

Trappist Westvleteren 8 (VIII) from Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren)