Trappist Westvleteren 8 (VIII) - Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren)

Trappist Westvleteren 8 (VIII)Trappist Westvleteren 8 (VIII)

Wants: 1,274
Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) visit their website

Dubbel |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-03-2001

(Blue Cap)
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,789 | Reviews: 774
3.71/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 3.75

My bottle is dated February 2014, one year from now, so I guess it's a couple of years old.

A: A dulled bottle brown body with a creamy light beige head which clings to the sides of the glass.

S: Mildewy dried prunes/figs/dates and Cointreau. Nothing else.

T: Not registering any big flavour up front but it's quite crisp. Initially dry but sweetens up slightly. A tad bitter but pleasantly so and gets better with warmth but really there's not a lot to it. No interesting fruity esters, bubblegum or marzipan. Just a very fine balance of modest, conventional Belgian dark ale flavours, just like in the Westy 12. I can pick out a bit of sherry, a bit of mildew or something like an old wine cork flavour. Alcohol is very well hidden. Virtually no aftertaste. Verging on blandness if not for the crispness.

M: The balance and mouthfeel are the centrepiece. Beautifully creamy and silky and yet crisp at the same time. Also a bit sticky.

O: I thought I'd missed the point with the Westy 12 but now I've been similarly underwhelmed by the 8. If my bottle was a typical example of a two year old bottle then it tastes very ordinary with a bit of age. I'd love to try a fresh one because all these people can't be wrong.

3.71/5  rDev -17.2%

Cloudy, dark chocolate colored beer topped by a thick head that looks like spray-foam insulation. Aroma of plums smothered in dark chocolate, with a hint of bready yeast and a slight spiciness. Complex yet clean. Surprisingly, there is a noticeable bitterness in the flavor. A sweet malt and alcohol backdrop support the fruity notes and a decent amount of phenols. Lingering bitterness with a slight sugary sweetness. The mouthfeel is decent, but perhaps a bit on the thin side. Drinkability is good, although I'm not sure I'd want to drink this one very often. This is a decent beer, but there are many, many better in my opinion. This one's pretty to look at, but nothing special to imbibe. So let's see, a bottle of this or a sixer of SNCA? This will stay on the shelf almost every time.

3.74/5  rDev -16.5%

Pours an extremely dark brown with a massive four finger head that camps out forever and leaves thick lacing down the glass. Smell is grapes, orange peel, spice, clove, and rubber. Taste is rubber, apple skin, and lots of spices. Medium to full bodied with soft but plentiful carbonation. This one has a little bit of an alcohol burn which hurts the drinkability.

Well, I guess I have come to the conclusion that dubbels just are not a style I can enjoy. This is the highest rated dubbel on BA, in the top 10 overall, and possibly the best one I have had yet I still can't bring myself to give it more than a 4 for taste. I was hoping that this one would break the streak and stand out like its big brother #12 does, but alas it ends up being just a "good" beer for my palate

3.75/5  rDev -16.3%

Big ol' thanks to pimpp for the twofer of the 8 and 12. Pours a deep reddish brown, thick, billowy head. Smelling apples, raspberries, and mulberry. On first sip, I find the initial carbonation really jarring. Takes a bit of warming and swirling until it gets down to a less distracting level. Getting alot of raspberry on the tongue, plum, cherry, a faint hint of caramel and toffee in the middle of the very mild malt, some spicy yeast/hop notes follow. The water this is made from may have a bit of mineral bittering, but not as strong as a Burton. Nothing is to pronounced and the light mouthfeel lets one explore all the flavors, but I didn't feel it was all that well balanced - perhaps as a result of the aforementioned carbonation.

On the positive side, the finish isn't overly dry, and despite being so sweet this leaves nothing unwanted or too forceful on the tongue as it evaporates. Liking the earthy, barnyardy notes on the very tail end.

Overall, there's some interesting flavors and its no doubt well crafted, but there's nothing really grabbing me here. I'll give this a re-review if I make my way to Belgium one of these days but don't think I'll go to the trouble of tracking down another bottle state-side. Not my favorite dubbel.

3.75/5  rDev -16.3%

Bottle. Cap has 2.05.13 on the cap, reviewed on 2/2/11. Poured into a tulip glass a clear, deep ruby red brown color with a large fluffy 3 finger light tan head that slowly recedes. Head leaves some nice lace as it settles. The aroma is pretty nice with a subtle dark fruit smell along with some banana. Medium/light mouthfeel with some good carbonation. First taste yields flavors of dark malt, dark fruit, and some alcohol notes. Some lingering bitterness as well. The taste is actually a little more subdued than I thought it would be. The carbonation seems a little high for me as well and detracts from the flavors. Overall, I'm just ok on this beer, it isn't exactly what I thought it would be and isn't as good as I wanted.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Trappist Westvleteren 8 (VIII) from Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren)