Trappist Westvleteren 8 (VIII) - Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren)

Trappist Westvleteren 8 (VIII)Trappist Westvleteren 8 (VIII)

Wants: 1,354
Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) visit their website

Dubbel |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-03-2001

(Blue Cap)
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Trappist Westvleteren 8 (VIII) Alström Bros
Reviews: 781 | Hads: 1,919
4.91/5  rDev +9.6%

The beer poured into the chalice crystal clear deep amber brown and then the sediment decided to crawl out of the bottle and it became a chunky, hazy mess. The head was tan and small bubbled and fell slowly to coat the glass as the beer was consumed.

The aroma was deep, deep malt with caramel and dark fruits, namely raisins and prunes. Also present was a pineapple aroma if the nose was held back from the chalice and deep maltiness and dark fruits if held directly above the liquid surface. Alcohol enhanced the aromas and esters and a substantial bready/biscuit aroma was also present in the complexity of it all.

The flavor was malty with caramel and dark fruits, raisins and prunes/plums. There was also a wonderfule biscuit/breadiness to the flavor and a slight spice that added to the complexity. The deep dark caramel and candy flavors were deep and interesting and the alcohol presence added to the impression of all the flavors.

The finish was just even and dried out over time into the aftertaste but the deep dark caramel, dark fruits, and spice complexity last long into the aftertaste and linger. The body was medium full and well done. The alcohol was present in the warming, but was restrained every step of the way from start to finish and at no time did the beer reveal it's 8% secret that it kept so well.

50 cl bottle. Date code on cap 26.11.03. Price of $7.50 still on bottle. This one is still pricey, but beginning to become well worth the price of admission to see the show.

4.92/5  rDev +9.8%

Did some work for a guy in Belgium who sent me all 3 of the Westvleteren beers. This was the first one I opened.

Pours out medium head into my generic Belgian beer glass (almost a wine glass). Not alot of head, but just fine. Retains slight coating all the way to finish. Poured almost all the way before I stopped for the yeast.

Dark beer with hint of ruby. Beautiful nose. Is that cola I smell? Taste is cherrys and brown sugar. Definitely a cola thing going on in the flavor as well as the nose, but this is no cherry cola. So smooth its unreal. Not a single hint of alcohol in this despite its 8%.

Great mouth feel. Not thick at all yet creamy still. Distinct as hell. I have never tasted a beer quite like it. Despite an attempt to savor this beer slowly, its gone before I know it.

I put this beer in a category of its own. Its a winner and clearly a champion.

4.92/5  rDev +9.8%

Thanks to Cooperrip for this bottle. Xmas gift in '05, just drinking it now.
Best by date of 10/10/06 stamped on bottlecap. I'm not sure how old the bottle is, but judging by the date, it's got a few years on it.

Poured into my Trappist Rochefort chalace at slight cooler than cellar temp.

Large head of HUGE bubbles, tan, thick. Good retention. Head fades eventually to a nice ring of lace.
Burnished brown color. Slightly hazy. Almost the exact color of the bottle it was just released from. Thin layer of carbonation bubbles fill the bottom of the chalace. Layer of sediment forms towards the bottom as well. Yes I poured the yeast. I wanted to taste the ENTIRE offering.

Where do I start with the smell? Fresh baked shortbread cookies, candy sugar, malt, slight cherry mustiness, deep fruity sweetness, some yeast aroma. Can't discern any hops character in the nose. Slight alcohol aroma, but only after twirling the chalace roughly.
Now for the taste. Chocolatey, deep bread flavors, figs, malty, some nut-bitterness towards the back of the tongue.
Medium mouthfeel with mild carbonation. Oh so drinkable.
Creamy, luscious, delicious. Yes, delicioius. A very broad word used to describe something. Very few things in life can simply be described as delicious. This is one of those special things.

4.92/5  rDev +9.8%

Deep dark brown with a tan lumpy head with darker brown patches in the foam. Intense lacing.

The aroma of berries rise from the glass.

My neighbors, when I was 8, had an old mulberry tree growing through a fence. We would climb the fence to reach the biggest darkest juiciest berries. I've never tasted anything quite as good until now. There is a pleasant bitterness near the end and the finish is dry and too short but then, anything short of forever would be too short.

Very foamy with champagne-like carbonation feel. Very warming.

I love it.

4.92/5  rDev +9.8%

Bottle aged for a least 1 year.
Nose of bread dough with a earthiness and a vanilla/caramel sweetness were noted.

A nice red brown with a frothy head and great lacing.
Medium sweetness with vanilla and cookie dough with some nice earthy notes.

This is very nice beer that is easy on the palate and I could drink a lot more of if it were more available.

4.92/5  rDev +9.8%

Unlabeled bottle with a best before date of 28.10.07 ink jetted across the cap. Acquired via trade and decanted into a Val-Dieu chalice.

Mahogany with slightt red edges. Tall billowing head of light tan that just sits there and slowly falls into a rocky landscape. Thick webby tendrils of lace are left in its wake.

The nose brings those wonderful aromas of freshly baked fruit cake made with cherries and plums that I love so much. A little bit of damp earth that reminds me of a my Grandma's old cellar in Ohio that I used to play in as a kid. A ghost of alcohol hangs in the back. Not as intense as the 12, but I love it.

Full mouth with just the right tingle from the carbonation that finishes clean.

The dark fruit flavors are upfront and everything flows just like the nose promised. The spices and earthy dough are all perfectly blended and the alcohol is there but it fits in so well that you have to really search for it to find it. Peppery finish that holds on to the plums and lingers pleasntly.

With everything this beer has going for it, the drinkablity is a five. No doubt about that. Again, I'm in awe of what the brothers can do.

4.92/5  rDev +9.8%

I had this bottle in my cellar for nearly a year after it was sent to me from abroad. It poured a fairly dark, hazy brown with a light tan head. The head dissipated a little but held a nice thin covering even after a few sips. The smell is amazing, rich aroma of dark fruits, malt and some hops. At first the taste hits with sweet caramel and dark fruit (raisin, fig?) and then some slight sting of alcohol that fades into gentle bread malts. I had to stop myself from drinking it too fast because I wanted to drink it down in one gulp it was that delicious. Even the the belching that followed tasted delightful.

4.92/5  rDev +9.8%

A: Pours a dark chestnut brown with a strong light tan head. Relatively clear body with some sediment at the bottom.

S: Figs , caramel, dark plum and brandy aromas coming off the top with no problems at all. This has a lot more aroma than I had expected and for a dubbel is outstanding.

T: Strong caramel pouring off my tongue, with figs and toffee, sweet caramelized sugars and dark fruit. The aftertaste is even amazing with bold flavors that I have never tasted this strong in a dubbel. Really this impressed me above and beyond what I had expected. I really enjoyed the 12, but the 8 takes the cake for me. Much more flavorful and interesting in my opinion. The aftertaste flavors are bready, yeasty and full of caramel that is dry and candied , almost a baked cookie flavor of butter and caramel.

M: Near perfect mouthfeel. For a dubbel, it could be a little thicker, but it is hard to argue with how drinkable it is in its current state. Easily drinkable and a medium to light carbonation.

O: Hands down best dubbel out there that I have had. Glad I hauled this back with me as a single bottle from Amsterdam.

4.92/5  rDev +9.8%

Review number 150. I have enjoyed several of these prior to this one, and have traded numerous others. I have to give a great big shout out to Regine' my boy in Belgium who continues to send these babies across the pond for me to enjoy, and more importantly to share with my BA buds. On to the review!

A: It pours a rich deep dark brown color with tons of carbonation. A head builds and recedes. There is no lacing, but some yummy sediment in the bottom of my Westvleteren Chalice. (Compliments of Regine)

S: Wonderful aromas waft from the glass. Tons of deep dark fruits. Plum, raison and figs stand out front. They are matched with a wonderful sweetness. I detect brown sugar, caramel, and buttered toffee. The last time I smelled such wonderful aromas was a child at the county fair.

T: It's Westvleteren, and despite the detractors, this one is heavenly. This beer is so rich and creamy. The flavors are bold yet married wonderfully. The dark fruits are noted in the taste as is the buttered toffee. I also pick up hints of vanilla and a touch of dark cocoa. This beer is as good as advertised and worth every dollar I spend on it.

M: Bold, Rich, and Creamy. A true Masterpiece.

D: So drinkable. The cost prohibits drinking too many of these at a time, but I have been known to drink two in a sitting.

Overall: What can I say, this beer truly is a work of god. The Monks of Westvleteren make wonderful hand crafted old world beers. I am honored each and every time I drink one.

This beer is fitting of the honor of #150. Can't wait for #200 when I will review the ABYSS!!!!

4.92/5  rDev +9.8%

This beer is ALMOST as good as the 12...the only thing that makes it not as good as the 12 is that it is not the 12!! The Westy 8 is one of my all-time favorite beers. It has all the characteristics of the 12, just not as complex and deep. If you have not had the opportunity to enjoy one of these great beers, do yourself a favor...find one and drink it. Enough said...

A: Golden brown, frothy, foamy...
S: The best...fruits, caramel, notes of spice and fig....deep...
T: Your 5...the 5 of beers is here....liquid caramel delight!!
M: Smooth, sweet and so drinkable...
O: Get one and drink it....

Note: 2 to 4 year aging of this beer is optimal...

4.92/5  rDev +9.8%

A beer to blow your mind, yet again. This one is at least a year and a half old, though I know not the exact date. Dates? yes, dates, and figs, but mostly grain. Fresh, dripping, sweet-mash, 145 degree grain. Glorious, steamy grain.
The absolute best earthy, natural smells possible... a cave, the clean brook there, some dates, some syrup... biscuit, but the british kind. The figs are outlandish, as is the soft, warm alcohol.
Oh, I suppose I got ahead of myself. Appearance, of course. A muddy dark brown, plenty of head and beautiful lacing on this one.
Oh, but the aroma... melba toast. Baby cereal. Rose water.
Ah, the monks, the solitude, the dank dungeons of incredible inventiveness... how does one go about producing this?
The flavour melds with the aroma, though it is not quite as sweet. It's like a fresh wort with dark fruit steeped in it, but with a warmth in the finish, the beautiful soft spice of the alcohol.
This beer is cake. Biscuit-cake, grain-cake, date-cake. As if one could make flour from the dark fruits of all the world, and make a cake from it. Mmmm... cake.
Exceptional. Absolutely exceptional. Unbelievable. Worth every bit of hype you've ever heard. Oh...

4.92/5  rDev +9.8%

I got this one from a good friend of mine who happened to be at the right store at the right time in Brussels. Thanks Robb! This is my 400th review, and it seemed like a good time to break out such a special beer.

Appearance: Pours a clear deep red-garnet color with a huge fluffy 1" head of off white bubbles. There are tons of bubbles rising to keep the head up there, and it looks like this one is going to be here for the long haul. There is already a bit of lacing being left on the side of the glass even though I still haven't taken a sip of it yet. As I drank the beer the lace was somewhat sporatic, and by the time I got to the end of the beer it had recessed back into the beer.

Aroma: The aroma is really complex with some dark fruit and subtle spices complimenting a fresh bread like base. The yeast is a big player in the aroma of this one. This is really pleasant with some floral notes. It is hard to put your finger on any one flower in particular, but I get hints of Jasmine and maybe a tad of lavender. As the beer sits for a while and starts to warm, there is a more roasty aromatic coming out that seems like it is from sweet chocolate. The beer smells sweet, but I know that it is not and that the sweetness is just perceived due to the strong malt balance.

Taste: The flavor is amazingly complex with some sweet candy like flavors to get you in the beginning along with a defined bready presence. The evolution of flavor in this beer lasts forever and keeps changing as it sits on your palate. Somewhere after the sweetness starts to mellow a bit, you get the carbonation and what seems like dry attenuation. This lets you taste the alcohol for a second as a spicy bite just before a somewhat roasted impression sets in. Just when you think that the roast is going to be what you taste, there is a floral contribution that teases you just before you get back to the spicy alcohol to take you into the finish. Late after the sip, there is a defined alcoholic warming that coats your throat and warms you up all the way to the belly. As the beer warms, the fruit flavors are becoming much more apparent and they are taking much more plum-like or even currant-like character. Man, this is an excellent beer!

Opinion: What can I say about such an outstanding beer? This is fabulous! As I drink this beer for a while, and I am taking my time with it, I can see how there is often a comparison made between this and Rochefort. This beer does taste a bit like their #8 with all of its fruity complexity and full flavor while still coming across as well attenuated and drinkable. I think that Rochefort is a bit more dark malt driven which gives it a tad more acidity. This beer is a bit more fruity, but both are dangerously drinkable for such strong beers.

4.92/5  rDev +9.8%

Received in a trade from zaf88. Thanks for the opportunity!

A: pours a murky cola brown color with ruby highlights around the edges. Reasonably frothy off white almond colored head. bits of sediment near the end of the bottle.

S: incredibly fruity, sweet smell with barely any alcohol noticeable. Again, similar to Westy 12, this smells like berry pie or sweet berry punch.

T&M: lots of carbonation, very bubbly. taste is of sugary sweet malt and dark fruits both of which are dominant yet not overkill in their taste. Great balance and complexity. Alcohol completely masked and no discernible bitterness. Taste lingers for quite awhile, with the sweet fruits and malts really taking over your palate and sinking into every crevice of your taste buds. Taste is fantastic!

D: Perfect. I could drink this all night long.

What a great beer, I think I like this better than Westy 12. This is a superb beer and one that I wish I had more of. I'm just glad I was able to try this unique and rare offering.

4.92/5  rDev +9.8%

An extraordinary brew, an unusual, complex and balanced range of sour, caramel, and malt notes… and more.

Presentation: 33 cl brown custom Trappist capped bottle. Characteristic lack of label or marking other than the cap, which shows in black, silver and blue, name, seal, faintly legible date, and 8% Alc. by Vol. Served in a snifter.

A - Hazy amber brown with a towering frothy head, rich retention with nice surface memory and lacing.

S - Nose is quite a treat and the perfect show-off for the taste that will follow, long sour fruity notes covered in caramel and malt in a rare but perfectly synchronized combination...

T - …which the brew perfects and expands in the palate. The freshness of raw cider coated in caramel, those apples with vinous touches under the sugar alongside touches of dark fruits, and the caramel expanding to the notes of malt, hint of spices, and a superior blend along the whole ride.

M - Medium full body with moderately tuned carbonation offering a nice subtle tingle and holding with dexterity the complexity of the brew, both smooth and creamy with peaks of soft tart insinuation as it completes the ride.

O - A dubbel like no other, the malty profile rides over those sour and fruity notes in such a particularly beautiful way that there is little else I can think of to compare it to.

Notes: What a treat, and what a surprise, the last of the excellent Westvleteren brews to try was quite the special animal. Almost like a combination of the best of the blonde and the 10 but with its own character. The sense of balance and change of rhythm in the palate without losing a touch of its structure is something to remember…

4.93/5  rDev +10%

See my review of the 12.

I dropped some cash and purchased some of this from a reputably shop online and was really happy with my purchase. Some could say that it was a bucket list next to actually visting the brewery to buy my own case. Nice appearance with a bit of suspended yeast, malty malty taste and minimal hops. Truly a great beer from the "Westy Lads..."

I prefer the 8 to the 12 purely on my own palate. Both are truly fantastic beers.

4.94/5  rDev +10.3%

33cl bottle poured into a St. Bernardus Chalice, Date on bottle is 29.09.09, bottled in 2006. Having in celebration of finishing college!

pours a nice dark brown that's very opaque with a nice thick ad creamy head that's light brown with some very smooth lacing. Still a bit of sediment even on a careful pour but not bad. Nose is really nice, very warming and clean, lots of nuts and bready yeast here.

Honestly, I can't find a flaw with this. It is so smooth, crisp and warming, the 8% has a slight warming but it's really not harsh at all. There's a light after taste that's nice and pleasant. I'd say this is a Dubbel to perfection.

As amazing as Westy 12 is, I would have to say I enjoy this a bit more due simply to the fact that it's more drinkable.

4.94/5  rDev +10.3%

Poured into my St. Bernardus goblet. Pours a dark raspberry red. With a light tan head that dissapated fast. No lacing in my bottle.

Smells wonderful. Raisins, spices, carmelized sugar and their special yeast strain.

Taste is wonderful. Tastes just how it smells. The best part is the candy sugar and the yeast strain they use. Very tasty brew.

Mouthfeel is perfect for the style and in the true tradition.

Everyone should try this beer. I will always try to keep one if these around for a special treat every once in a while.

4.94/5  rDev +10.3%

BBE on the cap is not perfectly readable, however both month & year of expiration are imprinted clearly enough saying 02. 2011. Assuming that the beer has been bottled 3 years prior to declared expiration date as is the case with 12, it belongs to 2008 vintage and is roughly 2 yrs old by now. Pouring into Rochefort chalice produces tan head transforming itself into thin lacy cap that lasts. Dark coppery brown with dark floaties of yeast.
Almost palpable aromas of sour cherries, dark brown sugar reach on molasses and all kind of berries powdered with cocoa or grated milk chocolate. The flavor profile consists of milk chocolate ice cream with sour cherries & berries and subtle touch of hoppy bitterness that is prolonged into lingering mild bitter aftertaste. Silky smooth, medium bodied nectar with absolutely no alcohol detectable. The smoothest, silkiest beer I've ever tasted. Perhaps less diversity in aroma/flavor profile than12, without evident vinous component and a bit more pronounced hoppiness, but nevertheless equally good as the big brother.

4.95/5  rDev +10.5%

Amazing appearance: a perfect dense and fine brown head that fades into a nice thin collar. The body is of an intense dark brown color. A nice smoky aroma. Very yeasty, the smell reminded me of some fresh cereal bread. Very nice.
The taste develops the very enjoyable bread aspect that appeared in the smell: the bread just melts in the mouth. Dark malts create a great flavor, which has some light raisin and winy notes, and maybe a hint of licorice. The hops are hidden and take time to appear. They combine harmoniously with the malts to create a very full, round and complex mouthfeel: thick but not chewy, hoppy but not bitter. Such a pleasure in the mouth.

4.95/5  rDev +10.5%

Presentation: An unlabelled brown 33cl bottle, that wangled its way Westward directly from the St.Sixtus Abdij. Without a label, all of the important information is contained on a black crown cap with a silver center that has a computer inked 15-04-06, seems like I’m early for the party again. Dark blue lettering states “Trappist Westvleteren 8, Bier Cat.S, Alc. 8% Vol.”. Classically understated.

Appearance: Dark brown, lots of streamers fill the glass at first, they continue throughout the drink. Beige head looks fucking impressive, rocky at first, it settles slowly to an even smooth silky mass that leaves an intricate looking lace. An impeccable appearance that is very hard to fault. Superb conditioning.

Nose: Incredible that such a fantastic rainbow of odors can come from just one glass. Molasses and brown sugars are immediately detected. Malts are there on closer inspection. Dark fruits, raisins, dates, rum and figs are all there when you concentrate harder. Chocolate, toffee and other dark fruits may well be in my imagination – or is it just the fact that I am awe struck.

Taste: I am never ever failed to be anything but totally impressed by this beer. I always take the 12 when offered the choice. Sadly this means I constantly forget just how damn good this bloody beer is. The beer delivers all of the flavors the nose offers up for purchase, but the way they are skillfully blended must be every brewers dream to achieve or replicate.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, silky, rich and sinful. Other beers are mere 2-stroke engines when compared to this beautifully engineered, smooth powerful V12 engine. Put the foot down on this one and you will not be disappointed by its road handling.

Drinkability: Quite simply, Exceptional.

Overall: On its day, or maybe with some aging, this is equally as impressive as the Westie 12. I just wish the experience would last forever. This beer certainly lives up to the hype. DO NOT let this one pass if you see it, and whatever you pay for it – it is well worth the money.

Without a shadow of a doubt, one of the Very Best Beers available in the World today.

4.95/5  rDev +10.5%

cap dated 12.06.05, this bottle is 3 years 11 months old. It was imported by D&V and bought by me in Q3 2002. I remember tasting bottles of this same-dated batch beer (as well as a batch of westv.12) when I bought them and they were quite unorganized in taste with limited complexity, but, as the seller advised upon inquiry, they would mature fabulously with time.

Pours lively 30% head in a rochefort chalice, surprising. Immediately yeasty bready odors permeate, along with something somewhat syrupy, and this is at 2 feet from the glass. Close nose is very bready and sweet, similar but not as deep as the 12.

Taste is sweet at first, then carries a curious bittersweet undernote which reminds me of something i will put in here later if i remember it. The sensation is similar to licorice, but far less pronounced. The breadyness dissapates into the finish. Having had the 12 last night it does seem a diminished version of that beer, but this beer is magnitudes beyond most things out there claiming to resemble it. It is the master of the style and probably several other categories.

As with the 12, there is almost a glow or permeating tingling in the mouth when I drink this, I have found this typical of westvleteren beers more than a year or so old and occasionally have found in very old bottle-conditioned beers (recent example King and Barnes 1994 christmas ale, though that beer did not taste great).

I think the only comparable beer per style in quality at this age is Rochefort 8. It is a masterpiece and should be bought on sight.

4.95/5  rDev +10.5%

330ml Bottle best by date 8/28/2006 pulled from the back of my cellar. I had six of these that were purchased in late 2004 and this is the last one.

Poured into a Westmalle chalice...deep chestnut with yeasties floating everywhere. Nice tight bubbles crawl up the side and form a nice off white head. The smell is somewhat subdued, but gives off hints of malt, yeast, candi sugar, cherry and slight lemon zest.

This is by far the best dubbel on the market. The taste is very complex with cherries, grain, chocolate and ends with a lemon zest that gives it a most refreshing flavor. All of the hops have faded away at this point, but the beer has held up very well after close to four years. The alcohol comes in at the very end of this beer in a most pleasant way. The mouthfeel is thin to medium and the flavors really coat the entire mouth.

Drinkability is about as perfect as a beer gets. This without a doubt is one of my favorite beers. Truly world class. I have had the 12 on two occasions and still think I prefer the 8. I will truly miss having this beer on hand.

Bottle date: 26.09.11

Upon opening: gusher! I believed this affected the overall carbonation.

A: Creamy white head sits atop a brown colored beer with ruby highlights. Similar to coca cola.

S: malty backbone of fruit breads, redolent of figs, raisons, and banana. Some rum type sugar notes, with some citrus notes. No hop aroma to speak of

T: Upfront dark fruit: raisons, figs with banana showing through as it warms. Love the understated bread notes playing with the dark fruits.

M: Some alcohol notes, but not fusels. medium mouthfeel, low carbonation, and no real stringency

O: Complex, but very drinkable. Lots of different flavors that are well balanced. Best Dubbel I have ever had and I could drink a 6 pack if I wanted to crappie flop all over the place as the alcohol is quite high! Get this beer!

4.95/5  rDev +10.5%

shared this bottle with squaremile

bottle date: 09.08.11 (bottled 8/9/08)

appearance - dark brown with lingering lacing

nose - apple, dates, dark and complex fruit

taste - pronounced sugar, complex fig/date/dark fruits, very subtle and mature complexity, most likely from the aging of the bottle

mouthfeel - light and whipped, smooth

drinkability - goes down smooth and easy

4.96/5  rDev +10.7%

Aroma of apples and peaches, same dark brown color as the 12, but smooth and fruity. No alcoohol burn to be noticed. Acompanied with the apple tart...a mix made in heaven!

Trappist Westvleteren 8 (VIII) from Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren)