Fasenöchter Doppelbock Hell - Pax Bräu

Fasenöchter Doppelbock HellFasenöchter Doppelbock Hell

Pax Bräu visit their website
Germany

Doppelbock |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: boddhitree on 07-14-2013)
Reviews by boddhitree:
4.61/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pax Bräu's has a monthly BierAbo (Beer-Subcription: you receive a new beer every month mailed to you). February 's (2013) beer is a real late winter, a Doppelbock.

Fasenöchter is dialect (don't ask me which one) for Fasnacht, another name for Fasching or Carnival or Mardi Gras.

First, you gotta love the artwork by a comic artist on the label.

Second, the ingredients: "brewing malt,"
Hops: Pacific Gem, Smaragd, Millennium, Galaxy, Wataku, Green Bullet, Dr. Rudi, Summit, Motueka, Cascade, Galena. (from 3 different continents!)

Appearance: color is amber with bright orange tints, slightly hazy from being unfiltered and bottle conditioned, under a bright dirty-white head, though that dissipated quickly.

Aroma: a heady mix of citrus and sweet München or Vienna malts, which I hope will be matched by it's flavor.
This is a 8.5% but you wouldn't know it from tasting it. The alcohol is so well hidden, at first I thought I was drinking a lower, say 5%, alcohol beer. The mouthfeel is thick like a normal Märzen.

Taste: The initial thing when you take your first sip is smoked malt. It's up front on the tongue and stays smokey all the way down towards the throat. The front of the tongue has a light tartness and bitterness at first mixed with a touch of malts, then the middle you get lots of smoke, not overpowering but enough to assert itself. Here's also where you get some strong bitterness from the hops, not super bitter but also discernible. The middle of the tongue also registers high amounts of München or Vienna malts, giving this beer more a push flavor-wise in the direction of a Märzen rather than a Bockbier. In fact, without the label telling me it was a Bock, I would've put in the Märzen neighborhood. The aftertaste is sweetened lemons and sweet München malts, both flavors that linger in maltiness like the reverberation of a bell.

Overall: Again, this beer is like a cocktail, or maybe like hearing a chord played on a guitar, many different flavor notes all blending easily into one wallop of taste. After a few long sips, I begin to notice the alcohol as a small sherry-like feeling towards the back of the mouth. I guess that's the Bock part of this beer, and... after half a liter of it, I can feel the kick of the alcohol swimming in my head.

Overall, WOW, although it does seem quite similar to Pax's Märzen, just all the flavors are "Bocked" up, more intense. This beer is a souped up Märzen-IPA-Doppelbock concoction where all those flavors mix wonderfully. It's incredibly süffig and I would sip this for hours in bliss if I could lay my hands on more of it.

4.05/5  rDev -6.5%

I bought a 1 litre bottle of this at Liebick in Germering on 24SEP13 and opted to consume it on 27SEP13, at my Gasthaus in Rothenburg. Best-by of 18JUL, but no year evident.

When I grabbed this at Liebick I only saw Doppelbock. I was a but surprised when checking the label prior to pouring to see Doppelbock Hell... Has a shitload of varied hops in it, from all over; some I've never heard of before (Smaragd, Wataku, Green Bullet, Dr. Rudi, Motueka?). Poured a mostly clear, deep orange-apricot hue. Had minimal head, with most bubbles just rim-clingers, with scant lacing. Smell is unlike any variation of Bock I've had, with lots of tropical and green fruit aromas coming forth. I enjoyed it, as different as it was. Body was a solid medium, with a decent smoothness as well.

Flavor, like the nose, was quite fruity. Mango, pear, green apple... It tasted quite exotic and tropical, with some honeyish sweetness mixed in. No breadyness in the malts; no extensive floral hopping, just a smidge... No rauch notes either ;-) ... An interesting Doppelbock Hell, to be sure. Tasty, but not what I expected. Did I get an old bottle? Pricy, too, at €10.99. Prosit!!

4.05/5 rDev -6.5%

Fasenöchter Doppelbock Hell from Pax Bräu
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.