Widowmaker - Fall River Brewing Company

WidowmakerWidowmaker

Fall River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: davegray on 12-02-2013)
Reviews by flexabull:
4.25/5  rDev -6%

3.2/5  rDev -29.2%

Pours two fingers of head on a hazy medium straw colored body.
The aroma is grapefruit, pine and musty barn. Good.
The taste has a huge dose of grapefruit bitterness at the start, moves to a medium malty sweetness and finishes with a moderate bitter note. The alcohol taste is the in the background.
The texture is thicker for an IPA with moderate carbonation.
Bold.

4.94/5  rDev +9.3%

One of my top 10 all time favorite beers. Stumbled upon this gem on accident while in my hometown of Redding, CA.

I'm colorblind but it looks fine to me.

Smells less hoppy than it is, but defines an ideal IPA or DIPA everytime I smell it.

Taste: Perfection. Rivals heady topper, Pliny the younger, and 120 min. in my opinion. I'll take it over The Elder any day.

Mouthfeel is thicker than most, which I'm a huge fan of with IPA's.

Overall: Even if it weren't so accessible to me, I would still consider this one of the greatest beers that I have had the pleasure of trying. As close to perfection as anything I've tried (and that's a lot). I can't wait for it to be bottled this year (2014), and I'm excited to see more from this brewery... Possible TIPA?

4.32/5  rDev -4.4%

3.2/5  rDev -29.2%

Many thanks to flexabull, who shipped me a killer box for – finally, after years of sad frustration – for placing in the Step up to the Pint league. This 22 oz. bomber split with my wife is the first victim of the recently arrived box.

The pour is orange, with rivulets of carbonation running up the side, interrupted only by the large volume of sediment suspended in the brew. The nose speaks to me of sugar-coated-dehydrated oranges, the bane of my existence one canoe trip – never again. Sweet.

Widowmaker has introduced me to the world of Cream IPAs. So thick I’m pretty sure somebody forgot to skim the cream off the top: thick, thicker, thickester. Tastes like bedding straw, fuzzy peaches, mild shot of bitterness, lots of mango rushes into the mid-palate & slides through into the aftertaste. Tons of sweet malt; too much for my preferences. Certainly easy to sip, & no sign of alcohol anywhere.

Too much malt, not enough hop. I dig the mouthfeel, but entire fields of malt died to create this one little bomber. Decent enough.

4.74/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a bomber into a standard pint.

A: Pours a very nice translucent copper color. ~1 finger width head, that fades fairly quickly. Leaves nice rings of lacing in the pint.

S: WOW! Loads of fruity deliciousness! Peach, mango, pineapple.

T: Definitely follows the nose. Absolutely delicious.

M: medium body, nice carbonation, dangerously drinkable for 10.2%. You would never know it. Nice bitter finish that lingers. Leaves you wanting more.

O: This beer is great! If you are ever in the Redding, CA area, stop in the tap room or pick up a bomber from one of the stores. Very surprised to find a beer of this caliber from such a small place.

4.75/5  rDev +5.1%

Pushes the line between a double and triple. At 10.2 abc it drinks very smoothly and has a very slight alcohol burn. Be careful with this as it is deceptive, you could tell someone it was a regular ipa and they wouldn't notice until they were drunk.
Aroma is full of pine and some berry fruits, with rich hop dankness.
Pours a clear deep gold with a white rocky head. Aroma is very intense. Flawless execution of the style. I've had day old and month old bottles and while it is better the younger it is the older bottles tasted just as good, with a little less aroma.

Widowmaker from Fall River Brewing Company