Bent Hop - Golden IPA - Bent Paddle Brewing Co.

Bent Hop - Golden IPABent Hop - Golden IPA

Bent Paddle Brewing Co. visit their website
Minnesota, United States

(Beer added by: Keyportnick on 06-02-2013)
1.3/5  rDev -66.9%

I've had the great fortune to travel to more than 60 countries and drink more beers than I care to imagine, but I can say unequivocably this is one of the worst beers I've ever consumed. The flavor is positively foul, to the extent I was overcome and eventually poured half my can down the sink. To add insult to injury, this beer gave me an absolutely side-splitting headache, something I've never had happen from a brew. I was initially keen to try more of Bent Paddle's products, but after this unfortunate experiment, I will leave that to braver souls and the Public Health Department.

2.25/5  rDev -42.7%

2.5/5  rDev -36.4%

3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

"An unexpected visual bend to an American India Pale Ale, this style is one that stands out in a crowd, or if you’re more like us – enjoyed at a campsite…with no crowd." Bonus points for brewers after my own heart. Wish I was sitting by a fire in the Boundary Waters looking out at a lake from a crackling fire. Uh, an unfrozen lake. 12 oz. can that came with five friends.

Pour had already been aptly described in the beer's name: golden. High level of carbonation, & I always enjoy watching bubbles circulate like mad through the beer. Nose pops immediately but fades almost as fast. Pine & citrus, with a bit of mixed fruit salad in the background. Nice start.

Bent Hop teases with scent & then pulls away the chocolate sundae. Replacing it with a nice salad. This is my kryptonite, a nice, sweet, malty, well-balanced IPA. Sweet malt, gentle jab of hops (kind of like a jab from my 11 year old) that rolls a light citrus, touch of orange. Light breading. There is bitterness that's absent at first but grows to noticeable by halfway through the glass. Extremely smooth & creamy for an IPA, & one that would go down nicely leaning on a canoe paddle.

Pretty good beer, but too balanced & lacking in hop character for my jaded palate.

3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

Bent Hop - Golden IPA from Bent Paddle Brewing Co.