Topcutter - Bale Breaker Brewing Company

Beer added by: beertunes on 05-05-2013

to view more.
Ratings: 238 | Reviews: 44
3.43/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Hop head friendly. Great look. Pleasing aroma. Taste is pretty okay but something is a little off and I can't put my finger on it. Balance seems a little wacky between the hops and it produces a funky tasting finish. Peppery and spice tastes are sort of distracting.
Overall, I think I need to try this one a couple more times and see if it was just a fluke.

4.62/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Served on tap. Dark Amber in color with nice head. Lots of citrus aroma and taste. Well balanced bitterness in the flavor. Great IPA.

4.85/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Outstanding IPA. Fairly easy to find in WA otherwise good luck.

4.77/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is my go to IPA, it smells and taste amazing! Mouthfeel is nothing special but it's not a double so it makes sense.

3.75/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a finger and half of head on a clear medium straw body.
The aroma is grapefruit, lemon and pine.
The taste starts with moderate bitterness, mild honey in the middle with a mild bitter finish.
The texture is crisp with a soft edge.
Solid.

4.51/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Wow
This brew is just with the thirsty hiker needs. It's clean, fresh, satisfying and delivers everything you'd expect from a reliable friend. Can't go wrong when you have one of these bale breakers. Kind of what BB used to deliver!

3.66/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Good looking IPA, golden/amber color, looks at least partially unfiltered. Beautiful head, very natural.

Nice mouthfeel, very rich. Perfectly light carbonation.

Clean IPA flavor, lacking a bit on the midpalate, simple; long finish, quite bitter, but again, simple; pine resin, mostly.

With a texture like that, my take is that someone there really knows how to make beer, they were just aiming for something that isn't my favorite.

4.34/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

From a can (muled from Seattle, thanks, Sis!) into an imperial pint

a: hazy apricot with a puffy three finger creamy white head, lots of lacing
s: pungent...not messing around, at all. great combination of bitterness, tangerine (both juice and rind), passion fruit, some dank sweet hay, faint pale bready/crackery malt.
t: a little less thrilling than the nose (and a little less juicy and citric) but still very good. lots of bitterness, some pine, leafy garden herbs and woodsy cedar at the end that lingers (which I don't really get in the nose). Hard to pick up on what the malts are doing of interest, if anything.
m: medium to high carbonation (for the style), toward the bitter end of things, a little warming, mouth is coated with hop oils...this one stays with you for a while afterwards, both the bitterness and the interesting mix of flavors.

overall: a lot of good stuff, here. I'm not sure that everything comes together, entirely, but if it errs, it does so in a way that I can admire. A must have for hop heads. I'm glad that my sister brought me a few.

4.55/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Canned 01/13/15

A: Orange / Gold in color. Filtered with a small amount of sediment. 1 finger of solid white head, leaving a sticky lace.
S: Pine tree, floral forest in aroma. Sweet rich topical fruit notes (passion fruit / tangerine), straight hop nose.
T: Hops are center stage. Moderate tropical fruit, huge piney resinous hop bill. Sweet malts which are almost unnoticeable and help round out the body.
M: Moderately carbonated. A lingering, resinous hop characteristic. The bitterness/flavor stayed with me for a few minutes, leaving me craving another sip.
O: A hop bomb. Unbalanced and hop forward. Straight from the land of hops, Yakima, WA. It's an outstanding example of a Pacific Northwest IPA.

4.69/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Nice dark gold pour with a nice lace. Great Hop flavor . Great West Coast IPA one of my favorites. Bought 18 cans today at The Brown Jug in Oreville Washington

4.87/5  rDev +16.8%

This is one of my favorite IPAs of all time. Huge hop flavor and aroma with restrained bitterness. Fantastic.

3.31/5  rDev -20.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

Nice golden hue. 70 IBU. thin, watery entry. Latent hoppy taste comes through with equally latent carbonation. Not a heavy mouthfeel as expected with other west coast IPAs. Undetectable presence of malt. very slight grapefruity nose.

4.17/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A. Pours a nice orange-gold with over a finger of white sticky head. That leaves some nice lace.

S. Big grapefruit and orange rind, a little mango and light grainy malt. Simple, west coast, and very nice.

T. Big citrus fruit and rind, some cedar and grainy light malt. Maybe a touch of tropical fruits and sweet candied citrus rind (if that's even a thing, may have just made that shit up).

M. Medium body, soft below medium carbonation.

O. Very nice and all west coast baby. Trust a yakima brewery to take advantage of the local dankness! :)

4.65/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I live in IPA saturated Portland, OR. Topcutter is not available here, although it's pretty easy to find about an hour away in Washington. I go out of my way to find Topcutter, even in this crowded IPA market, because it's THAT good.

I'm a big fan of these "modern" IPAs - not overly bitter, very overly aromatic, etc. Topcutter is a prime example of this style. It's hard to mess up a beer with a Simcoe®, Citra®, Ahtanum™, and Mosaic™ hop bill, but it's been done. This beer uses those hops perfectly. So. Good.

3.92/5  rDev -6%

Pretty solid with plenty of dry bittering hops, though having just had the Field 41 pale previous, this beer doesn't stack up..either as an IPA or in comparison to the latter. That shit even make sense?

4.75/5  rDev +13.9%

One of my favorites, I make sure to get a six pack at Trader Joes every time I am out in Spokane. It has a good amount of bitterness and its in a can; Win win.

4.06/5  rDev -2.6%

Good West Coaster

4.21/5  rDev +1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12 FL OZ can
Served in a tulip glass

L - It is amber with golden highlights. It is capped with half a glass of off-white head that slowly retreats leaving some lacing behind.

S - The smell has dank wet hops and citrus.

T - The taste starts out just like the smell. I taste dank, wet hops and citrus, but the finish has pine. Everything tastes great.

F - Medium

O - This is a great IPA. It was recommended by a beer guy at Total Wine in Bellevue, WA while on vacation. I am glad he led me to a glorious IPA. It reminds me of Truth from Rhinegeist, one of my favorite IPA's currently.

4.01/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

3.75/4.5/3.75/4/4
Rich amber body topped by a cut of beautiful white foam: the quintessential IPA appearance. Decent retention, decent lacing.

The aroma is where this really begins to shine, and stand out, a cut above the crowd. Nose starts off with some floral and sweet hops that venture so far into spicey that I swear there's allspice and cardamom in there somewhere. It may be worth mentioning that I fucking love baking spices (cardamom, allspice, cloves, cinnamon, nuteg, etc) just in general, and am always pleased when I find them in my stouts, etc. I certainly never expected to encounter them in an IPA, but man does it work...

The taste is still very good, but it cannot top the unexpected bounty and complexity of the nose. The spicey complexity of the nose falters a bit into the bitterness of an overspiced red sauce (it works here, because IPAs feature bitterness, and it matches the following, but that's the best description I could come up with). This still blends nicely, though, with the pine and some citrus, though it isn't quite as juicy as I was hoping (presonal preference. Also: DATE YOUR DAMN CANS!! I don't think so based on the rest of the characteristics, but for all I know, this could be a year old. There's a series of seemingly meaningless numbers on the side of the can [4 06 05 A 1 B D], though my google-fu has failed me, and I can't translate that into chronological units. If I'm missing something obvious, someone please let me know and I'll rest easier and update accordingly...)
Anyway, where were we...
Crisp and appropriately carbonated, the malt does not particularly stand out in flavour (providing support and contrast, without being discernible in its own right: like a very good stage hand), but it cuts a nice body that supports the rest of it...
Blunt bitter finish leaves me sticky and smacking (err...).
Thoroughly enjoyable. I would grab this again in a heartbeat, and would love to try it on tap, and would consider it in the upper echelon of IPAs (especially year-round shelf-cans...), but is it ELITE? Super good, but there are still others that I would reach for first. But not many.

Fresh, fully hopped and well-balanced, you cannot find a better IPA off the shelf.

This is probably my favorite IPA. I've had Topcutter in the can and on tap. Delicious, hop forward, beautiful in a glass. Big pine and grapefruit flavors. Balanced and refreshing. It helped to be literally looking at the fields where the hops are growing while drinking this. What an experience.

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

Appearance - Light amber-orange hue, pours with a solid 2 finger head that stick around for awhile, and leaves behind lots of sticky lacing.

Smell - Hoppy, mighty hoppy. Floral, pine/herbal, tropical fruits, a strangely alluring dank and skunky stink ... complex hop character. Playing distant second fiddle is some caramel and biscuity malts.

Feel/Taste - Getting lots of dank pine character (pot), grapefruit, lemons, musty but juicy tropical fruits, vaguely herbaceous, VERY fresh tasting hops. Slight bitter kick - quite subdued. The malts come in later to round out the hop onslaught with some light caramel and bready sweetness. Medium body, smooth, scrubbing carb helps clean things up. Easy lingering bitterness, less than expected.

Overall - A suberb IPA at a great price. I don't know what it is with this one, but the hops just taste very fresh - they have a fantastic, unique "punch" I haven't come across all that much. It makes sense to me, since Bale Breaker is located in the Yakima Valley, which is becoming world renowned for kickass hops. Honestly, this is one of the best IPAs I've had: it's great on all levels.

4.06/5  rDev -2.6%

The beer appears a dark rich orange. The head appears white, fluffy, and pillowy soft. The head is sticky and persistent. It has a piney and citrusy aroma. The smell is similar to many of the other nice West Coast IPAs. The taste is also piney and citrusy, I would say juicy. This reminds me of Jai Alai. The mouthfeel is smooth, not much carbonation.

Overall, I am impressed with this IPA. This is a good addition to the burgeoning selection of nice IPAs in Washington. I will have it again.

4.42/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer is in my top 5 IPAs. It has great mosaic and simcoe flavor in the taste and aroma. Malt is there, but its like Joe Biden. Just there in presence but adds nothing to the show. The bitterness hits you like a Chuck Norris round house kick to the back of your tongue and lingers just long enough to get you to take another drink to keep him kicking. Stop in at the brewery in Moxee and have one fresh to taste what a true Yakima IPA should taste like. If its not enough hop flavor, walk over and pluck a few cascade cones off of a bine in the yard next to the parking lot and throw them in your glass.

4.13/5  rDev -1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 oz. can into a Sam Adams pint glass.

Pours a lovely amber with a one-finger head that quickly dissipates and leaves lacing along the length of the beer.

The aroma is very nice, westy-style. grapefruit, citrus, candied fruit, and a little hint of spice and dankness.

The taste is very nice. Lots of grapefruit with a big initial bitter bite. As my palate adjusts, I also get some candied fruit, lemon zest, some sweet malt below and a hint of spicy hop as well.

Mouthfeel is pretty typical, medium a slightly sticky.

Overall, a very decent IPA. I'd happily drink another.

to view more.