Yeti Special Export - Yuksom Breweries, Ltd.

Yeti Special ExportYeti Special Export

poor

Yuksom Breweries, Ltd.
India

American Malt Liquor |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-14-2003)
View: Beers (5) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reviews by SwillinBrew:
SwillinBrew

2.42/5  rDev +1.3%

I first had this about 4 years ago at a lager tasting at Hi-Times. As i've finally been getting into lagers, i thought i'd give it a try again.

First, the bottle is really cool with a yeti on the blue cover... looks cold and intimidating. It poured a lemony straw color with some brass in it. There was a decent egg-white white head and some nice bubbles.
The aromas were of mild sweet grains with a very slight shale scent. The taste was timid sweetness with a faint mineral taste on the end... very thin but actually quite crisp and surprisingly sweet and light on the palate. I think this is the Corona of India.

10-06-2006 05:09:48 | More by SwillinBrew

Colorado

01-19-2012 23:41:26 | More by quirkzoo
SundaySour

2.65/5  rDev +10.9%

A: Damn. This beer is bubbling up like a champagne. It's got a great golden color and a thick white head. The head almost seems like one of those "phonies" from the big breweries.

S: My first thought was: "soapy." It reminds me of lye or something I'd spray on a grease stain. After a little more sniffing, I can definitely get a grainy smell, maybe even granola. It's a little off-putting.

T: The dominant taste is grains; almost exactly like Grape Nuts cereal. It's much lighter than the smell, and I'm happy to report that it does not taste like soap. It didn't taste as fizzy as I expected, and the flavor is not strong or bitter enough to stay put in my mouth. Other than Grape Nuts, it has a little Pop Rocks type tingle. If Pop Rocks made a cereal flavor...this would be the result.

M: Not very carbonated; very light in the mouth. I do feel a little tingle. I think this is meant to be a refreshing, drinkable beer. And it does an okay job there.

O: The soap smell is much too weird and off-putting, and I like a little more complexity in flavor. I don't think I'll pick this up again, but it's not the worst beer I've ever had.

06-17-2011 03:54:06 | More by SundaySour
Klym

2.23/5  rDev -6.7%

I received a bottle of this from a friend who was trying to dip his toe into craft brew. I had mentioned off hand during a conversation that I had tried the Oak Aged Chocolate & Espresso Yetis from Great Divide Brewing and he later 'surprised' me with this gift thinking he had found what I was talking about at BevMo. Didn't have the heart to tell him it was wrong and so here I am.

Poured from a bomber into a pilsener glass.

A: Pours a light and clear gold with a tall and slightly yellowed head that has structure disturbingly reminiscent of shampoo foam.

S: Raisin, honey, cinnamon, soil, and oatmeal all in the nose, but a low-quality sensation of each. Honestly, the smell wasn't as bad as I feared.

T: Classic malt liquor sweetness dominates with small undertones of low quality oatmeal, honey, raisin and earthy grain. Taste melts off not differently from any cheap malt liquor, and the resulting hangover from the taste is distinctly cheap, processed white bread-- which is perhaps the most favorable portion of the whole taste experience.

M: Mouthfeel is really poor, even for a malt liquor. Carbonation excessive and rapid to the point of being prickly and attacking the mouth. It leaves a mysterious grainy film in the mouth that seems to testify to the poor quality.

O: It's hard for a malt liquor to be greatly pleasing to me, but there are definitely some I wouldn't cringe if I had to drink them. Sadly, this beer doesn't join that "some." Drinkability is killed by strength of the bad taste and the horrible mouthfeel. This is one Yeti you'll be wishing didn't exist.

06-16-2011 16:38:43 | More by Klym
Cavery

2.35/5  rDev -1.7%

Reviewed from notes 6/13/11

A: A rapid succession of bubbles compliments the freshwater pond foam, the beer looks innocuous, but the bottle does not. The head has also remained completely level, almost appearing to be artificial in it's consistency.

S: smells like a sugarless cereal, deep grain strong grain with an accent of artificial sweetener. Someone forgot to sugar my mini-wheats. There is a sweetness, but I'm not convinced it's real sugar. It hits the nose like a Splenda. I proceeded with a calculated caution.

T: a healthy grainy breakfast cooked in sunlight, with no seasonings. The sun is a harsh cook, and is not flavor centric. It is relentlessly one note of grain smothered in a solution of high fructose corn syrup and Splenda, that at times goes into the realm of funky underdone tortillas. I keep sipping and digging, but really I just get a semi-fruity (red apple skins?) and funky old wheat/grain.

M: watery low carbonation, there isn't much to pick out here. A larger mouthful yields more carbonation, a lesser one less. I guess it gets points for proportionate consistency? I don't know. This is not helping.

O: It makes me sad to think this made such a long trip, and in vain. There isn't any redeeming factor to this beverage, and I was rooting for it. I am by no means a master of malt liquor, but surely it can be done better than this. Just like Cricket is sort of like baseball, this malt liquor is sort of like beer. Get back in your cave Yeti, and don't come out until you have something better to show me.

06-14-2011 23:53:19 | More by Cavery
womencantsail

2.33/5  rDev -2.5%

A: The beer pours a clear golden orange color with a short lived white head.

S: Definitely get some butter up front with a bit of grass, straw, and metal. Light malt character with plenty of corn and a bit of table sugar. Maybe a touch of honey and overcooked grain.

T: Tastes very much like candy corn. Very sweet and sugary, a strong corn flavor as well and a slight buttery creaminess. Hints of straw and grass as well, with almost no bitterness.

M: Light to medium in body with a medium level of carbonation.

O: Really a weird flavor. Certainly not all that good, but the candy corn flavor was sort of interesting.

06-02-2011 21:28:24 | More by womencantsail
notchucknorris

2.68/5  rDev +12.1%

Found this at an Indian restaurant. Didn't expect it to be better than GD's Yeti (and it wasn't). Just think they probably should have labeled it Yeti Piss.

A: Pours a clear Corona-like pale golden color with a head that's pure carbonation.

S: Lots of grain, some honey and a bit of citrus.

T: While it's cold, it's not undrinkable. A lot of grain and malt sweetness and some honey flavors that are held in check by the low temperature. As it warms up, it's pretty gross. Reminded me of King Cobra.

04-22-2011 18:10:34 | More by notchucknorris
BevMoAndrew

2.73/5  rDev +14.2%

Served into a standard pint at about 40 degrees.

Pours a a light gold with a very little white froth. Aromas of banana, honey, orange, grain, & grass follow through with dry, but smooth flavors of light banana, orange, honey, and grain. This is pretty much a malt profile lager...no hops to speak of. Overall, this is better than I expected, but not earth moving.

11-29-2009 04:21:48 | More by BevMoAndrew
Overlord

Offered at an Indian Restaurant. Hoped it would be better than Kingfisher. Was not.

Pours a bright yellow with a white foam head. *sigh*

Smells like the typically corn laced adjunct crap. Damn. Maybe a hint of grassy skunkiness about it.

Taste is unpleasant, but not wretchedly awful. Same vegetable grassy skunkiness, but it did quench the vindaloo fire. Just ... not good. There are so many bad beers in this world.

05-18-2009 07:33:08 | More by Overlord
froghop

Washington

2.2/5  rDev -7.9%

is less more???

pours a very clear, very pale with a very thin white head, with very light carbonation, and just a little lacing.

smell is very faint, of fruit, some grain, and a touch of perfume.

taste is somewhat flat, sticky, light, grain, corn, and some malt, ends with a little hop in the back.

overall doesn't taste bad, just doesn't taste much.

04-20-2009 00:57:09 | More by froghop
magictrokini

2.6/5  rDev +8.8%

A very light beer. Pours light yellow with a frothy white head. No aroma to speak of. Taste is very thin, especially for 7%. Corn, rainwater, and metal. Sweet, but nasty aftertaste. At least I got to try a beer from India, which begs the question, out of the billion+ people in India, why couldn't one make a beer that does not taste like Budweiser?

12-16-2008 19:51:31 | More by magictrokini
SShelly

Oregon

2.93/5  rDev +22.6%

Did not have high hopes for this, but figured my choice between it and taj mahal as I was trapped at a birthday party at a himilayan restaraunt, I might as well go with the mystery beer.

Pours a pale yellow with non existant head, actually tried to give it a rougher pour and still no head...

Smells of cooked corn, and well, cooked corn.

Tastes was suprisingly pleasant compared to the rest of its attributes, very mellow honey throughout the flavor, not unpleasant though not exciting either, pretty much what I would expect from a 7% lager...actually have to say the honey component of the flavor was moderately enjoyable. a touch sweet however.

Fairly thin and non-substantial beer.

When faced between this and taj mahal Ill probably go with the yeti again, though given any other choice I would probably go the other way.

12-13-2008 06:21:01 | More by SShelly
Offa

1.08/5  rDev -54.8%

This is one of the most revolting beers I have ever had and probably the worst tasting. It's even worse than King Cobra Malt Liquor, which is saying a lot. I actually had moderately high hopes as I like some srong lagers and malt liquors, including another Indian one - Old Monk 10000. Even these modest hopes were utterly dashed.

It is orangish gold with a thin, bubbly white head that rapidly vanishes to just a few ugly big bubbles - a kind that I find unpleasant to look at and usually associate with really bad beer.

The appearance was not deceiving: the aroma is rubber gloves with applesauce. The taste is at first a big smack of chemicals up front before one can discern rubber, a hint of applesauce, and a rough, unpleasant alcoholic quality.

04-15-2008 23:26:19 | More by Offa
Sleestak

2.88/5  rDev +20.5%

I'm such a sucker for a great bottle label. Pictured is an Abominable Snowman or a "Yeti" hence the name. This one's going in the collection. No apparent freshness date though there is a code of YBS.02. I suppose if I could decode that I would know. Anyways, on to the beer. Pale yellow with almost no head at all. I can't smell much of anything in this. At least it isn't skunky. Taste isn't much either. Some sweetness, apple, a bit sour in the middle and finishes dry. Drinkable considering the 7% ABV. Worth a try I guess if you're looking for a strong lager from India, though far from great.

11-04-2007 04:20:54 | More by Sleestak
Vancer

2.5/5  rDev +4.6%

I’m glad that I’m not stuck with something like this as my only lager choice, I’d have to drink mostly scotch instead.

Pour was OK – clear yellow with a good white head and even some sticky laces. But then it goes south – not much in the way of aroma, just some hints of a sweet malt.

And the taste – a strange sickly sweet malt liquor, with a touch of a woody euro skunk lurking about. But the cloying sweetness is what really leaves an impression on you, this is not something drinkable for the long haul – or the short haul, for that matter. Glad it was only a 650ml bomber – which I finished.

07-16-2007 13:03:40 | More by Vancer
theopholis

1.85/5  rDev -22.6%

Appearance- Very clear, pale gold/yellow. Good white head that quickly falls to nothing. No lacing at all. About what you would expect from an Amercian macro-lager or malt liquor.

Aroma- Mostly sour mash with some canned corn. Maybe a hint of bittering hops. .

Taste- Wow. This stuff sucks. Not bad enough to be a 1, but it is not a pleasant drinking experiance. Failry strong corn-mash taste, some bittering hops, but not much. Slightly grainy. But it's hard to get past that typical malt liquor, industiral sour-corny-mash taste.

Mouthfeel- Medium body, about what you expect from a malt liquor. A bit stickier than I'm used to. Carbonation level is about average.

Drinkability- If you enjoy malt liquor, give it a shot. Otherwise, avoid this beer.

03-30-2007 23:42:34 | More by theopholis
IntriqKen

1.98/5  rDev -17.2%

Pours a macro yellow with a macro type small head that melts to a nice lacing...nothing that will stick to the side of the glass, however.
Aroma is a surprise. There is definately a sweet smell there...possibly a little butterscotch or honey and then definately sweet light malts.
The taste carries forth the sweet notes from the aroma....sweet light malt, slightly oily butterscotch...no hops to speak of, but then a slightly bitter aftertaste I can't really identify.
I won't buy this again, nor will I finish the bomber it came in, however I'm not a big fan of lagers anyway and this one has some sort of nasty aftertaste to it that just makes me want crackers or popcorn or water or ANYTHING to get rid of it. Taking another drink isn't the answer.

06-10-2006 00:15:44 | More by IntriqKen
chrisms86

Washington

2.1/5  rDev -12.1%

Nothing special about this one, my first Indian beer. Tastes like any macro brewed in the states, high alcohol content is a plus but otherwise a very forgettable beer.

I swear I tasted something like butterscotch in there, appearance was yellow with an unattractive, fizzy head. Not recommended.

06-13-2005 03:51:56 | More by chrisms86
Zorro

2.5/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clear golden brew.

Smell is sweet and a bit perfume with a mild scent of straw and grain to it.

Taste is a bit sweet with a mild bit of hops, and that is about it not a lot of flavor.

Mouthfeel is OK.

It is nothing to write home about, just a flavored lager.

08-08-2004 22:15:14 | More by Zorro
Yeti Special Export from Yuksom Breweries, Ltd.