American Strong Ale - Seventh Son Brewing Co.

American Strong AleAmerican Strong Ale

Seventh Son Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

American Strong Ale |  7.70% ABV

Beer added by: Nunya on 03-14-2014

to view more.
Ratings: 57 | Reviews: 3
4.02/5  rDev +1.8%

16 ounce can. Served in a DFH snifter, the beer pours a mostly clear garnet red color with about an inch light tan head that stuck around for a while. There's also a good amount of lacing. The brew smells mostly like citrusy (grapefruit, mango) and pine hops, along with some caramel malt. I think the taste is very similar to the aroma, but there's also some graininess and citrus peel noticeable too. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's slick and coating with a good amount of carbonation. I thought this was a good brew, although I'd call it an Imperial Red Ale instead of a strong ale. But no matter what style of beer you call this, it's a good one. I liked it! $2.75 a single can.

3.74/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Received as an extra in a trade and poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a nice crystal clear garnet ruby hue with a thin half finger light tan head that fades to leave thin wisps and a faint halo.

S - Aromas are much more of a red IPA than anything. Older hops, faint grapefruit and pine. Light malt sweetness.

T - Taste is lightly sweet, caramel, tea like hops, faint grapefruit and even fainter tropical fruits. Alcohol is present on the pallet, slightly, but yeah...doesnt really taste like a strong ale. More like a hoppy red ale

M - Mouthfeel is nicely carbonated with a nice bitter finish. Feels slightly thin though...

O - Overall I'm not sure what to make of this. Its tasty, but, if the other reviewer was correct this is meant to be drank incredibly fresh which really disappoints me. I want a mango heavy 'strong ale', if the beer was labeled as a hoppy beer I would have drank it sooner, I'm kind of bitter now.

Serving Type: Can

4.01/5  rDev +1.5%

1 PINT can
Served in a snifter

A - It is a deep red color and topped with three inches of tan head leaving very little lacing.

S - Citrus and pine are at the forefront of this beer. There is also the distinct smell of a red ale. I got a ton of mango when I bought this beer three weeks ago. The mango is gone now.

T - It tastes like a red IPA. It is citrusy up front but has a red ale base that balances it. Once again the mango that I tasted merely three weeks ago is gone.

M - Medium leaning towards full.

O - I absolutely loved this beer three weeks ago. It was a mango explosion. Now it is a good hoppy red ale. I will definitely make the hour trip south to check out Seventh Son and have some fresh American Strong Ale.

to view more.
American Strong Ale from Seventh Son Brewing Co.