Newburyport Green Head IPA - Newburyport Brewing Company

Massachusetts, United States

Beer added by: johnnnniee on 04-29-2013

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
2.65/5  rDev -32.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

12 fl oz aluminum can with no-nonsense likable label art acquired in a trade with the generous ICCULUS - thanks buddy! - and served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live; I received it yesterday. Expectations are above average given the novelty. 7.2% ABV confirmed. Self-identifies as a West Coast style IPA; I'll review it as such.

Served cold; I like my IPAs cold. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a healthy 7+ finger head of beige colour. Nice frothy complexion and good thickness. Soft looking. Nice creaminess but I could go for more. Lacing is even yet light as the head slowly recedes. Retention is quite good - around 7+ minutes - but consequently I suspect overcarbonation. A good head overall.

Body colour is a vibrant glowing orange-copper with gold hues. Nontransparent yet translucent. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Overall, it's spot on for an IPA and looks good for the style, though I've seen far better. No overt flaws stand out, but it isn't unique or special. Looking forward to trying it.

Sm: Generic floral hop character and some soapiness; I suspect this spent too long in primary - but only by a small margin. Buried light hints of vague detergent aren't particularly appealing. No yeast character or alcohol is detectable to my broken nose. Some grapefruit zest - but it's far less assertive and evocative than most IPAs from the west coast that feature grapefruit notes. Any malt character is unpronounced and primarily pale. Maybe some caramalts. A touch of light oily hop character is a highlight. I'm not getting much in the way of piney, citrusy, juicy, or nectary hops. A decent aroma of mild to moderate strength; it leaves a lot to be desired in terms of hop character, but I'm optimistic. Unfortunately, naked hop bitterness is noticeable - a sign of imbalance.

T: The caramalt and pale malt body feels a bit bland. The hop character is better, blossoming as it nears the climax. I get simplistic floral hop character, some tame grapefruit zest - not as estery as I'd like - and in injection of naked hop bitterness which tanks the balance. Unfortunate; every great IPA I've had emerges from a careful understanding of balance. Some rounded tropical fruit adds little of interest, complicating the hop profile unnecessarily - and frankly adding flavours I don't personally care for in beer. The hops and malts feel distinct here, lacking collaborative qualities. It doesn't come off like a cohesive brew. The bready grainy malt notes are too prominent for the style, and hit right up front rather than evenly throughout. The finish leaves you with some soapiness (an obvious off note - this spent too long in primary) and unwelcome bitterness; the result is that the beer doesn't encourage the next sip and doesn't feel refreshing. Clean and enjoyable to an extent, but this needs work. No yeast character or alcohol comes through.

Mf: Lightly oily. Smooth. Wet. A bit biting on the climax. Overcarbonated. Weird thickness and body, never feeling quite right on the palate. Unrefreshing. Clean. A bit crisp. Fairly soft. Not warm in spite of the relatively high ABV.

Dr: A decent attempt at the style, but it suffers from a notable off flavour and common balance issues. I'll have no trouble finishing this can, but I wouldn't want this again. Needs honing to be truly good. There's some nice stuff happening here, but it isn't enough to compensate for the key flaws. Drinkable but far from ideal. I wouldn't recommend it to friends.

C- (3,634 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -27.7%

A - The beer arrived with a finger's worth of dense head. The beer is an absolutely gorgeous burnt orange, with a fairly thick haziness to it. The head recedes slowly and leaves thick lacing on the glass.

S - Honestly not much here. Something of a murky smell.

T - Not good. It tastes like bitter pond water to me. Very murky, with pronounced bitterness. I can even taste the alcohol. At 7.2% it's not exactly a light weight, but I don't typically taste the alcohol at this level.

M - Medium bodied with a bit of a thrill on the tongue and a nice resinous feel. Unfortunately I did not like the flavor, so this wasn't necessarily a good thing for me.

O - This beer is all over the map, which may be expected from a new brewery. That said, I won't be seeking this one out in the future. I would try other beers from these guys, because it seems to be brewed well, I just didn't find this interpretation of an IPA very appealing. (931 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -25.4%

Poured an darker than anticipated, given the "West Coast style IPA" marketing on the can (when I think WCIPA, I think Sculpin' or Racer5). Not much of a head despite the pour I gave it. Extremely cloudy.

Aroma was nice, pine, citrus, grassy. VERY similar to the aroma I perceived from their Pale Ale I had a couple weeks ago.

Pretty bitter IPA. A little metallic hop bite which I get from some beers... I presume it's from a particular hop variety and not a defect. And my "metallic" may be something different to others. Malt stands up ok. While aroma and hop flavor are there, the bitterness dominates.

Medium mouthfeel. A little slick.

I didn't have their Pale Ale to do a side by side, but this SURE reminded me of their pale ale, just a bit more bitter. (I thought their Pale was pretty bitter for an APA.) Makes me wonder why, when you are a new brewery, and you are opening up with 3 year round beers, would you want two to be so similar? The third is a Belgian white.

This IPA seemed like a slightly bigger version of their Pale Ale, building off the same basic ingredients. Just baffled why they wouldn't change up the hop profile (maybe go more dank) and/or grain bill more to differentiate their two hoppy beers. (1,232 characters)

Thanks to mjg0725 for this can as an extra in a recent trade. Going relatively small tonight after getting overenthusiastic last night. That 2 1/2 hour nap helped though. 12 oz. green can split with my wife.

Pour is a dark opaque orange with minimal carbonation in evidence. Bit of glop oozes out towards the bottom (not even at the bottom) of the can, clearly unfiltered. Nose has initial swell of hops but it's quickly replaced by the scent of pale malts. Bit underwhelming.

Green Head IPA is a malt-driven IPA, which is akin to saying he's a good-looking orc. Malt sweetness gives way to moderate bitterness that's cut only by a fragrant earthiness & small flecks of pine needle.

Not much to this one, just a simple hop profile & maltiness. "Balanced". I like my IPAs bold & aggressive & obnoxious - this one is about the reverse. Not bad, just straight-up mediocre. (875 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Very slight chill haze on a rich copper color. Head is off-white and drops to a tiny cap. Some notches and splotches of lacing. Moderate carbonation on the pour.

Smell: Big caramel malt over some sweet bready notes. Hops run a bit floral with some herbal notes. Sweet with a slight hop spiciness. Caramelized and cooked. Some esters add apple and a minor hint of oxidation. Nice and clean.

Taste: Spicy and floral hop. Sweet caramel malt. Biscuit. Some herbal and earthy elements as well. Lingering bitterness on the back of the sip. Nice balance between the cooked sweet caramel malt and the earthy spicy hops. Some light toasted elements.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with a moderate carbonation. Relatively clean finish.

Overall: A fitting take on the town.

Good, not great. Like Newburyport, it's good every so often, but loses it's novelty quickly. Eight that said, it's a solid drinking IPA with bonus points for the can format. (950 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Is that a thick foam mattress or a splendid looking head atop that hazy, reddish-orange brew?

Pointed citrus hops with some earthiness present. Malt and a hint of spice sneak in at the right moment.

Fruitier than expected up front with an earthy bitterness coming in quickly in the shallow, followed by orange peel and some caramel malt in the deep.

Lighter side of medium in body and goes down easy.

One might argue this beer has wandered into APA territory, but I must say it's suiting me just fine at the moment. (523 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Thanks to jlindros. Pours a nice medium brown-ish amber. It's cloudy and inviting. The head is off-white and large. Very good retention and good lacing. Kinda boring floral hoppiness on a caramel malt backbone with a bit of toasty sweetness to it. Honeysuckle, mint, light grapefruit, pine. Some bubblegum in that sweetness. Malt character is stronger than I like. Taste has restrained sweetness but again a bit too much malt flavor for me. A good deal of lightly toasted sugar. Bitterness is a touch bland but at a nice level. Nice yeasty bitter note throughout the beer, though it leaves an underwhelming finish. A touch vegetal. I'm not a big fan of the interaction between the dry-ish caramel malt and floral-citric hops. Carbonation is a bit higher than normal. Somewhat creamy. Light hop oiliness. Almost too light for the malt character. This seems like a well made beer, but it doesn't quite sit right with me. (918 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This beer seems in the West Coast vein, but lacks the depth of the better of those beers. The pour has a nice sustaining head, maybe a slight bit darker than pale, but not outrageously do.

I had trouble with the nose at the bar, not sure if that's the environment or the beer. Strangely with a swirl I get bubblegum more than anything, and that is not representative if the taste at all, so I'll go with a mediocre rating by default.

The taste is a mix mostly grapefruit in front, pine quickly taking over I back bitter-forward IPA. I get a generic grain underneath, and the carbonation adds some feel to what seems otherwise single-dimensional beer.

I gave this some higher ratings on the fact that, for and IPA, it does present an unmistakeable hop profile. It isn't at all a session IPA in a mask, either. It's a fairly decent representation of a very (and solely) hoppy beer, which just doesn't impress me given the IPA choices out there. (945 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Fresh on the local shelves = perfect time to review a new IPA.

A- Poured from the can into a tulip for reviewing purposes. The beer is amber bodied with just a slight haze to it. White foam builds up on the beer to pretty much one finger high. Head retention is decent and a silky ring leaves a few webs of lace.

S- Assertive and hoppy as the label states with a citrus, tropical fruit and floral hop profile up front in the aroma. Some malty cracked grain sweetness in the background but the hops make up most of the smell.

T- A good blend of hops up front with pine, citrus zest, tropical and stone fruits and floral notes coming to mind. Orange peel, grapefruit, apricot, pine needles, peach all come to mind at points. These hoppy flavors are balanced pretty well and none of them really dominates, pine and citrus just a bit more prominent IMO. Beyond the hops is yeast bread, light caramel sweetness and fresh cracked grain hints.

MF- Light-moderately thick body with a nice creamy texture. Carbonation is medium-high and helps bring out those volatile hop flavors and aromas. Moderate bitterness throughout.

This beer brings a lot of different hop flavors to the table but they all balance out and create a nice overall feel here. One of the better local IPAs I have had lately, especially in the lower-end of the craft price range. Cans are nice too. (1,363 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Green Head pours a hazy amber color with a big, frothy head on top. The foam dissolves slowly leaving behind a coating of lace on the glass.

The aroma has subtle notes of pine and orange citrus. Some tropical fruit and caramel malt is also present.

Each sip of this medium bodied beer is creamy with mild carbonation. The flavor is nicely balanced between orange citrus, pine and caramel malt. In the background there's some biscuit and a touch of tropical fruit. It finishes moderately bitter with lingering citrus flavors.

This is a well balanced beer that's very easy to drink. Could use a bit more hop aroma and flavor for my taste. (639 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A- Pours a medium golden amber with a good white head. The head lasts a while with strong lacing on the sides. This is a well carbonated beer and it is slightly cloudy and opaque.

S- A fairly strong pleas tent hoppy aroma. I detect strong citrus and other floral notes.

T- A nicely hoppy IPA with strong citrus and floral taste. The citrus taste is more orange up front but the finish tends more to a grapefruit like bite and bitterness. I also detect some earthy, piney tones. This beer is slightly sweet, but any malt flavors are very subtle. I moderate hoppy bitterness lasts on the tongue.

M- A fairly light bodied beer with good carbonation. Every so slightly oily, a pleasant mouthfeel.

O- I think that this is a great early offering from the Newburyport Brewing Company. The are making a name for themselves locally right out of the gate. Not a world class IPA, but at the price I think it is one of the best deals out there. An excellent choice for an everyday IPA. I look forward to Newburyport's future offerings. I hope to visit this brewery soon.

Serving type: can (1,085 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -2.3%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy amber colored liquid from the can; a two inch head sticks nicely and leaves a few squiggles behind

Smell: Rather balanced aromatics with some caramel and stone fruit tones that are offset but the piney, dank elements

Taste: Caramel and stone fruit on the front, with the dank, piney hops building, in the middle; increasingly bitter, after the swallow, with an aggressive finish

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with moderate carbonation

Overall: An amped up version of their APA, but not something I would consider a West Coast IPA; good for what it is

Thanks, Ljudsignal, for the opportunity (628 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -1.8%

A- Deep orange apricot. Normal to slightly more than normal head.

S- Mostly citrusy hops with a tiny bit of piney hop punching through. Pretty well balanced

T- 10 minutes out of the fridge it's a good mix of fruity and piney hops that are draped over a medium malt body. Excellent balancing bitterness that dares you to take another sip. Very difficult to actually break down the individual flavors because everything is so well blended. Definitely fruity and flavorful!

M- Medium carbonation, medium body. As to be expected from New England IPAs

O- I was really pleasantly surprised by this one. I see so many new MA breweries now that are just kind of whatever. IPA is an easy style to brew and everybody and their mom makes an IPA these days, so it's refreshing when I find a brewery that makes something a notch above the rest. Absolutely worth picking up a 6pk to try out! (882 characters)

3.89/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12oz can into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep amber color, with a short foamy off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains floral hops, fruity citrus and caramelized malts.

T: The taste starts out with a strong grassy hops bitterness that is quickly followed by some citrus and caramel sweetness. The malt character is hearty but not too heavy and brings a good balance. The after-taste is slightly hoppy and slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: Tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, good kick, good representation of style, this is a solid IPA to drink for a while but there a lot of better alternatives in the style. (767 characters)

3.89/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A-Pours a murky, turbid, copper hue. The head is a wet, slippery froth that barely even forms. Nearly no lacing.

S-Deep, bitter grapefruit notes. Potent, spicy floral hops too. Piney. Not a tropical IPA; leans much more toward the dank, concentrated, bitter take on the style.

T-Some sips I am unimpressed but during others I enjoy it a bunch. Its semi-juicy but blatantly more bitter and tangy. Grapefruit all over the place. Pine and grass. Bracingly bitter. A chunky maltiness barely stands its ground.

M-Light carbonation. Fuller bodied. Very bitter. A hint of booze.

O/D-This isn’t my sort of IPA. Its big, bitter and bold. I enjoy the more tropical/complex IPAs over the shallow yet aggressive take on the style. Reminds me a bit of Smutty’s Finest Kind. I enjoyed their Pale Ale more but to Green Head’s credit I liked it twice as much at the final sip than I did during the initial sip. It grew on me. (919 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Word has traveled quick about this new brewery, primarily due to their IPA offering. Bursting with hops, this west coast style IPA has quickly become a favorite. The hops are strong, this one actually goes down smoother and with plenty of flavor the colder it is, unlike other ales that need to be warmed up a bit (45-50) to get all the flavor out of it. It gets a little more bitter than flavorful as it warms up. Hop heads will dig this one.

One note on the brewery: their pale ale is like a simpler, and more bitter version of the IPA, and the Belgian White, while nice, is just simple. I hope these guys have more tricks up their sleeve because the only real keeper of their initial offering is the GreenHead. (715 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -0.3%

Had this on draft at Mick Morgan's Pub. A very fine West Coast-style IPA. Very hoppy, c-hops I'm guessin', and some real punch at 7.2abv. Drinking a can now, as we speak. (Not drinkin' in the can, as that's a sign of a problem....) Poured into a North East Brewery pint glass. Eat yer heart out! Seriously a fine IPA, got my attention, which is kind of rare... (360 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

A: A little poured off from the can. A deep, cloudy amber color. Head is off white in color.

The rest of the review is from the can. I'm a can purist, what can I say?

S: Deep pine and grapefruit scents. I believe it is the wonderful Cascade hop that is shining here.

T: Similar to the smell. A strong earthy hop taste and some floral hoppiness as well. Let it linger on the tongue and you can also taste a tangerine like flavor. No lack of hops.

M: Medium sticky body and medium carbonation.

O: A very solid brew, but nothing extraordinary. I dig the cans. Pretty much a heavier version of their pale ale. Nonetheless, very good beer. Being local to me, I like that these guys aren't skimping on their flavor profile like a few of the other smaller breweries in my area. (777 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

12 oz can poured into a SAPP glass. Being from the area, I love the name.

A -- Hazy. Orange/copper kind of color, which changes greatly depending on the light. Cream colored foam. nice lacing.

N -- Resiny big time. Pine and grapefruit. Not too harsh. Let's you know you're probably in for a hoppy taste.

T -- Not as hoppy as I would have predicted. No date on the can, so who knows how old it is, but I got it straight from the brewery just two days ago. Flavors are duller than the nose would have you believe at this point. The hops, pine, and grapefruit are all there, but in lesser quantities than I would have thought. It's also got a good toasted malt character.

M -- Drinkable. Not too bubbly. Not flat.

O -- Really enjoyed this one. Cheers! (755 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +0.5%

12oz can poured into a snifter glass

A- pours a hazy deep Amber color with an orange hue, foamy head reduces to a thin film, no lacing

S- citrus hop forward with aromas of tangerine and grapefruit peel, some piney notes, clean sweet malt underneath

T- lots of orange citrus hop flavor up front with a big blast of tangerine peel that continues into the mid palate, light pine & lemon, clean finish with a hint of mint on the linger

M- medium body with moderate carbonation leads to a fancy mouthfeel and a creamy finish

O- pure citrus hops throughout with a big tangerine emphasis, very good (598 characters)

3.99/5  rDev +1.3%

Poured from a can into a tumbler pint, the beer is a dark, hazy, ruby-copper coloring with a frothy, filmy, clingy, off-white head that starts a towering inch and a half and slowly settles into a surface coating. Aromas of wet, sticky pine resin, grass, hints of pineapple and tropical fruit, and some rich caramel notes in the background. Very wet, dynamic nose. Flavors of roast caramel forward, with a bitter, resin laced follow-up. Grapefruit, pineapple, and mango blend to provide sweetness towards the middle, and there is a blast of bitterness at the end of the palate. Bitter and resin rich aftertaste, with a bolt of malt sweetness to balance. Robust mouthfeel, with some oily characteristics around the edges. The finish is dry, bitter, with a resiny linger. Solid beer, and a great West Coast style IPA. (814 characters)

6-pack from Julios. Pours out a hazy medium amber color. Big frothy head. Lots of spice in the aroma. Flavor is super hoppy. Layers of grapefruit and burnt rubber, with just enough sweetness. Lingering bitter grapefruit finish. Nice to see a Mass. brewer finally making an IPA worthy of this discussion! I've also had this on draft at Sunset Grill. good to see it being distributed. (382 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +2%

12oz. can served in a shaker pint. Pours a copper colored hue with a slight haze to the clarity and a tight, one inch, cream-colored head. Head eventually settles into a fluffy, quarter inch head with delicate, textured swaths of lacing revealed as the brew recedes. Nose expresses earthy/herbal notes with a light citrus quality interspersed. Taste follows nose with a pleasant malty backbone and a light, herbal/medicinal bitterness that lingers between quaffs. Mouthfeel is light-medium in body with an even carbonation and a slight acidity. Overall, a very drinkable IPA. I'm very impressive with this beer as a year round offering. Well worth your time. (665 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +2.3%

12oz can
A) Pours with a two finger head that settles to a thin, creamy lacing on the top. Dark bronze color. Hazy body. Sticky lacing on the drink down.
S) Piney. Orange.
T) Hop bite up front that sticks all the way through. Slight peppery notes. Spruce. Grapefruit. Subtle caramel and buttery notes in the mix but not as pronounced as the hops.
M) Medium body. Tannic. Crisp carbonation at first then has a creamy finish.
O) A well done IPA. Definitely West Coast influenced. I'd have another one. (500 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +2.3%

The beer pours a syrupy orange, almost amber, with a huge sticky, cream white head that seems to be yellowing and is made up of different sized bubbles. The head leaves a sticky, fat, web-like lacing of fluffy bubbles. In body, the beer is clear but darker and slightly murky. On the nose, the beer smells resinous, like a big ass, wet pine cone shoved into a light caramel bread. The pine is resinous and sticky on the nose, and very inviting. From the can, the smell is a little crisper with a touch of citrus. On the tongue the beer tastes bitter and dry with some nice bitter hoppy acids and a very faint touch of malt sweetness. In flavor, the beer begins as slightly sweet bread and then explodes into ruinous, bitter pine that bites crisply across the palate moving from pine needles to pine cone with a touch of caramel. An earthy, herbal bitter also travels in the mouth and rounds out the bitter flavors, providing some nice balance to the bitters. The finish is bitter pine with a touch of medicinal flavors, which continues into the aftertaste and becomes slightly more medicinal, but in a nice and linger way. From the can, the beer carries more citric flavors that add grapefruit flavors to the mouth and actually make the beer even better in my opinion. In the mouth, the beer feels medium in body with a syrupy finish on the throat and a creamy carbonation that does nothing to mellow the bitter bite of the beer. The mouth is left dry and sticky, screaming for another sip. Overall, this is a drink that bites back. It’s not the hoppiest thing in all creation, but it has some beautiful west coast, American hoppy bitters. If you like pine in your beer then you will love this beer, for it is a hopheads beer for sure! Newburyport Brewing has some damn good beers in its repertoire already, and I cannot wait to see what else the cook up. Try this beer. It’s even better from the can! Yeat! (1,911 characters)

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast