Newburyport Green Head IPA - Newburyport Brewing Company

Newburyport Green Head IPANewburyport Green Head IPA

Newburyport Brewing Company visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

(Beer added by: johnnnniee on 04-29-2013)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Newburyport Green Head IPA Alström Bros

ThatsThatDude, Apr 11, 2014
1.75/5  rDev -55.5%

jlordi12, Sep 13, 2013

Stonehill64, Nov 17, 2013
2.63/5  rDev -33.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

12 fl oz aluminum can with no-nonsense likable label art acquired in a trade with the generous ICCULUS - thanks buddy! - and served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live; I received it yesterday. Expectations are above average given the novelty. 7.2% ABV confirmed. Self-identifies as a West Coast style IPA; I'll review it as such.

Served cold; I like my IPAs cold. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a healthy 7+ finger head of beige colour. Nice frothy complexion and good thickness. Soft looking. Nice creaminess but I could go for more. Lacing is even yet light as the head slowly recedes. Retention is quite good - around 7+ minutes - but consequently I suspect overcarbonation. A good head overall.

Body colour is a vibrant glowing orange-copper with gold hues. Nontransparent yet translucent. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Overall, it's spot on for an IPA and looks good for the style, though I've seen far better. No overt flaws stand out, but it isn't unique or special. Looking forward to trying it.

Sm: Generic floral hop character and some soapiness; I suspect this spent too long in primary - but only by a small margin. Buried light hints of vague detergent aren't particularly appealing. No yeast character or alcohol is detectable to my broken nose. Some grapefruit zest - but it's far less assertive and evocative than most IPAs from the west coast that feature grapefruit notes. Any malt character is unpronounced and primarily pale. Maybe some caramalts. A touch of light oily hop character is a highlight. I'm not getting much in the way of piney, citrusy, juicy, or nectary hops. A decent aroma of mild to moderate strength; it leaves a lot to be desired in terms of hop character, but I'm optimistic. Unfortunately, naked hop bitterness is noticeable - a sign of imbalance.

T: The caramalt and pale malt body feels a bit bland. The hop character is better, blossoming as it nears the climax. I get simplistic floral hop character, some tame grapefruit zest - not as estery as I'd like - and in injection of naked hop bitterness which tanks the balance. Unfortunate; every great IPA I've had emerges from a careful understanding of balance. Some rounded tropical fruit adds little of interest, complicating the hop profile unnecessarily - and frankly adding flavours I don't personally care for in beer. The hops and malts feel distinct here, lacking collaborative qualities. It doesn't come off like a cohesive brew. The bready grainy malt notes are too prominent for the style, and hit right up front rather than evenly throughout. The finish leaves you with some soapiness (an obvious off note - this spent too long in primary) and unwelcome bitterness; the result is that the beer doesn't encourage the next sip and doesn't feel refreshing. Clean and enjoyable to an extent, but this needs work. No yeast character or alcohol comes through.

Mf: Lightly oily. Smooth. Wet. A bit biting on the climax. Overcarbonated. Weird thickness and body, never feeling quite right on the palate. Unrefreshing. Clean. A bit crisp. Fairly soft. Not warm in spite of the relatively high ABV.

Dr: A decent attempt at the style, but it suffers from a notable off flavour and common balance issues. I'll have no trouble finishing this can, but I wouldn't want this again. Needs honing to be truly good. There's some nice stuff happening here, but it isn't enough to compensate for the key flaws. Drinkable but far from ideal. I wouldn't recommend it to friends.

C-

kojevergas, May 22, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -30%

bakerbill, Mar 18, 2014
2.78/5  rDev -29.3%

A - The beer arrived with a finger's worth of dense head. The beer is an absolutely gorgeous burnt orange, with a fairly thick haziness to it. The head recedes slowly and leaves thick lacing on the glass.

S - Honestly not much here. Something of a murky smell.

T - Not good. It tastes like bitter pond water to me. Very murky, with pronounced bitterness. I can even taste the alcohol. At 7.2% it's not exactly a light weight, but I don't typically taste the alcohol at this level.

M - Medium bodied with a bit of a thrill on the tongue and a nice resinous feel. Unfortunately I did not like the flavor, so this wasn't necessarily a good thing for me.

O - This beer is all over the map, which may be expected from a new brewery. That said, I won't be seeking this one out in the future. I would try other beers from these guys, because it seems to be brewed well, I just didn't find this interpretation of an IPA very appealing.

Andrew041180, Sep 19, 2013
2.95/5  rDev -24.9%

Poured an darker than anticipated, given the "West Coast style IPA" marketing on the can (when I think WCIPA, I think Sculpin' or Racer5). Not much of a head despite the pour I gave it. Extremely cloudy.

Aroma was nice, pine, citrus, grassy. VERY similar to the aroma I perceived from their Pale Ale I had a couple weeks ago.

Pretty bitter IPA. A little metallic hop bite which I get from some beers... I presume it's from a particular hop variety and not a defect. And my "metallic" may be something different to others. Malt stands up ok. While aroma and hop flavor are there, the bitterness dominates.

Medium mouthfeel. A little slick.

I didn't have their Pale Ale to do a side by side, but this SURE reminded me of their pale ale, just a bit more bitter. (I thought their Pale was pretty bitter for an APA.) Makes me wonder why, when you are a new brewery, and you are opening up with 3 year round beers, would you want two to be so similar? The third is a Belgian white.

This IPA seemed like a slightly bigger version of their Pale Ale, building off the same basic ingredients. Just baffled why they wouldn't change up the hop profile (maybe go more dank) and/or grain bill more to differentiate their two hoppy beers.

jimlin, May 14, 2013

SunDevilBeer, May 04, 2013

psdriscoll, Aug 26, 2014

heerboth, Sep 02, 2014

JKV96, Oct 10, 2014

Thanks to mjg0725 for this can as an extra in a recent trade. Going relatively small tonight after getting overenthusiastic last night. That 2 1/2 hour nap helped though. 12 oz. green can split with my wife.

Pour is a dark opaque orange with minimal carbonation in evidence. Bit of glop oozes out towards the bottom (not even at the bottom) of the can, clearly unfiltered. Nose has initial swell of hops but it's quickly replaced by the scent of pale malts. Bit underwhelming.

Green Head IPA is a malt-driven IPA, which is akin to saying he's a good-looking orc. Malt sweetness gives way to moderate bitterness that's cut only by a fragrant earthiness & small flecks of pine needle.

Not much to this one, just a simple hop profile & maltiness. "Balanced". I like my IPAs bold & aggressive & obnoxious - this one is about the reverse. Not bad, just straight-up mediocre.

maximum12, Mar 30, 2014

Rekrule, Aug 11, 2014

clfrost, Jun 22, 2014
3.23/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Very slight chill haze on a rich copper color. Head is off-white and drops to a tiny cap. Some notches and splotches of lacing. Moderate carbonation on the pour.

Smell: Big caramel malt over some sweet bready notes. Hops run a bit floral with some herbal notes. Sweet with a slight hop spiciness. Caramelized and cooked. Some esters add apple and a minor hint of oxidation. Nice and clean.

Taste: Spicy and floral hop. Sweet caramel malt. Biscuit. Some herbal and earthy elements as well. Lingering bitterness on the back of the sip. Nice balance between the cooked sweet caramel malt and the earthy spicy hops. Some light toasted elements.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with a moderate carbonation. Relatively clean finish.

Overall: A fitting take on the town.

Good, not great. Like Newburyport, it's good every so often, but loses it's novelty quickly. Eight that said, it's a solid drinking IPA with bonus points for the can format.

Goblinmunkey7, Sep 13, 2013