Join our email list →

Beer added by: johnnnniee on 04-29-2013

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
3.89/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A-Pours a murky, turbid, copper hue. The head is a wet, slippery froth that barely even forms. Nearly no lacing.

S-Deep, bitter grapefruit notes. Potent, spicy floral hops too. Piney. Not a tropical IPA; leans much more toward the dank, concentrated, bitter take on the style.

T-Some sips I am unimpressed but during others I enjoy it a bunch. Its semi-juicy but blatantly more bitter and tangy. Grapefruit all over the place. Pine and grass. Bracingly bitter. A chunky maltiness barely stands its ground.

M-Light carbonation. Fuller bodied. Very bitter. A hint of booze.

O/D-This isn’t my sort of IPA. Its big, bitter and bold. I enjoy the more tropical/complex IPAs over the shallow yet aggressive take on the style. Reminds me a bit of Smutty’s Finest Kind. I enjoyed their Pale Ale more but to Green Head’s credit I liked it twice as much at the final sip than I did during the initial sip. It grew on me.

4.14/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours a fairly clear medium golden color with a huge beige head that takes forever to recede. Huge hop aroma invades my nostrils as soon as I crack the tab on this bad boy. Grapefruit pith, pine resin, bits of garlic and green onions make up the nose. There might be some malt deep underneath, I can't find it but I don't really miss it. I do find a hint of bread and caramel in the flavor but like the nose the hops rule here as well. Bitter citrus with pine tar and resin. along with strands of green onion make up most of the flavor. Lingering hop bite festers on the palette long after each sip. Firm hop bitterness helps this beer live up to its motto of a beer that bites you back. Medium body with a moderate level of carbonation and a lightly bubbly deeply resinous mouthfeel. Damn I wasn't expecting that at all from an upstart in Massachusetts! Great IPA that is going to end up in every box I send out in trades.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last