Newburyport Green Head IPA | Newburyport Brewing Company

Added by johnnnniee on 04-29-2013

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Reviews: 54 | Ratings: 524
2.94/5  rDev -24.6%

Poured an darker than anticipated, given the "West Coast style IPA" marketing on the can (when I think WCIPA, I think Sculpin' or Racer5). Not much of a head despite the pour I gave it. Extremely cloudy.

Aroma was nice, pine, citrus, grassy. VERY similar to the aroma I perceived from their Pale Ale I had a couple weeks ago.

Pretty bitter IPA. A little metallic hop bite which I get from some beers... I presume it's from a particular hop variety and not a defect. And my "metallic" may be something different to others. Malt stands up ok. While aroma and hop flavor are there, the bitterness dominates.

Medium mouthfeel. A little slick.

I didn't have their Pale Ale to do a side by side, but this SURE reminded me of their pale ale, just a bit more bitter. (I thought their Pale was pretty bitter for an APA.) Makes me wonder why, when you are a new brewery, and you are opening up with 3 year round beers, would you want two to be so similar? The third is a Belgian white.

This IPA seemed like a slightly bigger version of their Pale Ale, building off the same basic ingredients. Just baffled why they wouldn't change up the hop profile (maybe go more dank) and/or grain bill more to differentiate their two hoppy beers.

4.03/5  rDev +3.3%

The beer pours a syrupy orange, almost amber, with a huge sticky, cream white head that seems to be yellowing and is made up of different sized bubbles. The head leaves a sticky, fat, web-like lacing of fluffy bubbles. In body, the beer is clear but darker and slightly murky. On the nose, the beer smells resinous, like a big ass, wet pine cone shoved into a light caramel bread. The pine is resinous and sticky on the nose, and very inviting. From the can, the smell is a little crisper with a touch of citrus. On the tongue the beer tastes bitter and dry with some nice bitter hoppy acids and a very faint touch of malt sweetness. In flavor, the beer begins as slightly sweet bread and then explodes into ruinous, bitter pine that bites crisply across the palate moving from pine needles to pine cone with a touch of caramel. An earthy, herbal bitter also travels in the mouth and rounds out the bitter flavors, providing some nice balance to the bitters. The finish is bitter pine with a touch of medicinal flavors, which continues into the aftertaste and becomes slightly more medicinal, but in a nice and linger way. From the can, the beer carries more citric flavors that add grapefruit flavors to the mouth and actually make the beer even better in my opinion. In the mouth, the beer feels medium in body with a syrupy finish on the throat and a creamy carbonation that does nothing to mellow the bitter bite of the beer. The mouth is left dry and sticky, screaming for another sip. Overall, this is a drink that bites back. It’s not the hoppiest thing in all creation, but it has some beautiful west coast, American hoppy bitters. If you like pine in your beer then you will love this beer, for it is a hopheads beer for sure! Newburyport Brewing has some damn good beers in its repertoire already, and I cannot wait to see what else the cook up. Try this beer. It’s even better from the can! Yeat!

3.89/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A-Pours a murky, turbid, copper hue. The head is a wet, slippery froth that barely even forms. Nearly no lacing.

S-Deep, bitter grapefruit notes. Potent, spicy floral hops too. Piney. Not a tropical IPA; leans much more toward the dank, concentrated, bitter take on the style.

T-Some sips I am unimpressed but during others I enjoy it a bunch. Its semi-juicy but blatantly more bitter and tangy. Grapefruit all over the place. Pine and grass. Bracingly bitter. A chunky maltiness barely stands its ground.

M-Light carbonation. Fuller bodied. Very bitter. A hint of booze.

O/D-This isn’t my sort of IPA. Its big, bitter and bold. I enjoy the more tropical/complex IPAs over the shallow yet aggressive take on the style. Reminds me a bit of Smutty’s Finest Kind. I enjoyed their Pale Ale more but to Green Head’s credit I liked it twice as much at the final sip than I did during the initial sip. It grew on me.

4.14/5  rDev +6.2%

Pours a fairly clear medium golden color with a huge beige head that takes forever to recede. Huge hop aroma invades my nostrils as soon as I crack the tab on this bad boy. Grapefruit pith, pine resin, bits of garlic and green onions make up the nose. There might be some malt deep underneath, I can't find it but I don't really miss it. I do find a hint of bread and caramel in the flavor but like the nose the hops rule here as well. Bitter citrus with pine tar and resin. along with strands of green onion make up most of the flavor. Lingering hop bite festers on the palette long after each sip. Firm hop bitterness helps this beer live up to its motto of a beer that bites you back. Medium body with a moderate level of carbonation and a lightly bubbly deeply resinous mouthfeel. Damn I wasn't expecting that at all from an upstart in Massachusetts! Great IPA that is going to end up in every box I send out in trades.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last