Illusive Traveler Shandy - The Traveler Beer Co.

Illusive Traveler ShandyIllusive Traveler Shandy

good

The Traveler Beer Co. visit their website
Vermont, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.40% ABV

(Beer added by: WVbeergeek on 04-08-2014)
Reviews by StoutHunter:
2.55/5  rDev -27.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

I picked up a bottle of Traveler Beer Co's Illusive Traveler Shandy last week for $1.69 at Boyne Country Provisions. I was looking for a good warm weather beer and since I've haven't seen this beer around locally I thought I would take a chance on it, so lets see how it goes. Notched best by august 2014. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks good, it's got an odd, but cool pop art like vibe to it and I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a cloudy golden orange color that took on more of a milky burnt orange color when held to the light followed by a finger and a half off bubbly off white head that quickly died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it left hardly any spotty lacing behind. This is a pretty average looking shandy, I wish the head and retention were a little better.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness and it's followed by a big grapefruit juice aroma that's just a little artificial smelling and it's followed b some citrus like aromas in the background with some citrus rind and slight orange juice like aroma coming through, There's pretty much no malt flavors and absolutely no hops flavors, it doesn't smell like it has any beer in it and from the aroma alone it might be confused as a wine cooler. I wasn't a big fan of the aroma, I wish there was no noticeable beer aspect.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of sweetness followed by the grapefruit still being the first to show up and it still has a little bit of that artificial aspect that I got in the aroma and when mixed with the sweetness it still retains that wine cooler like aspect. Up next comes the malts which just barely show up and they just impart a slight grainy flavor with a very slight bit of doughy yeast showing up in the background. On the finish there wasn't any bitterness just some sweetness with some more of that citrus and slightly artificial grapefruit flavors. This wasn't a great tasting beer, it was nice that there was actually a slight beer tastes to it, but it wasn't too noticeable and the sweetness and slightly artificial grapefruit were too dominating.

M- Fairly smooth, fairly crisp, a little refreshing, slightly cloying, on the thicker side of being light bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice, but i wish the sweetness wasn't a little cloying.

Overall I didn't care for this beer and I thought it was a below average example of a shandy, it really lacked the balanced that the better Shandys have and it felt like i was given some overly sweetened fruit juice with a little bit of alcohol in it. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it was fairly smooth, fairly crisp, a little refreshing, slightly cloying, not too filling, but the taste didn't do a good job of holding my attention and I started to to get tired of it after half a bottle so I think that would be around my limit for this beer, it was a little refreshing on a hot day, but it lacked the balance that I look for in the style. What I liked the most about this beer was the mouthfeel, it was the highlight of this beer and it worked well with it. What I liked the least about this beer was the balance and high sweetness, they both really needed some work. I wouldn't buy this beer again and I wouldn't recommend it either, it's not hard to find a much better Shandy. All in all I didn't like this beer, it just didn't do it for me and even on a hot afternoon it wasn't as great as I was hoping it to be. This didn't make for the best first impression for The Traveler beer co., but I might still try more of their beers. Better luck next time guys, this one needs some work.

StoutHunter, Jul 14, 2014
3.75/5  rDev +6.5%

There's a line between Shandy and Radler and this presents a Shandy in a Radlers clothing. It drinks incredibly light and easy, almost like a juice, but has a crisp carbonated feel. It is fruity with huge grapefruit sweet and sour, sugary lemon and tart lime. It drinks and tastes like a Radler but it's 4.5 ABV. So you can shotgun this on a hot day and it will affect your brain.

KYGunner, Sep 01, 2014

4.25/5  rDev +20.7%

stuarthyde, Jul 28, 2014

pat_usher, Jul 09, 2014
3.18/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle with the expiration date notched out at August 2014. Sampled on May 30, 2014.

Milky, cloudy orange pale yellow pour with a fizzy white head.

The aromas are an abundance of fruits including orange, lemon, and grapefruit. I picked up a hint of black pepper too.

Light and refreshing body which is expected for the style.

Can one say "wine cooler?" OK, maybe a bit extreme but this has an overpowering fruitiness but shandies should I suppose. Not sure. I don't drink a lot of them. But it is more like a fruit drink for a hot summer day than a beer.

puboflyons, May 31, 2014

4.25/5  rDev +20.7%

Supra97, Jul 02, 2014

Cramerican, Jul 24, 2014
4.04/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to its illusiveness, this one proved to be quite elusive for a while, then it needed an approved pic before I could proceed.

From the illusive bottle: "Quite a refresher!"; "Are you Illusive?"; "Ale brewed with lemon peel with natural flavors and grapefruit juice added".

I was a little concerned when I heard a release of CO2 when I began to pop the crown cap, but it was unfounded. Still, it was enough to convince me to use a gentle pour and I was glad that I did since I got a lot of foaming action, initially. It quickly settled into a finger-and-a-half of fizzy, rocky, bone-white head that acted like soda pop and quickly fizzled its way out of existence. Color was a downright cloudy orangish-yellow (SRM = 4 -5). The nose was a classic example of truth in advertising - it smelled like freshly-squeezed grapefruit juice! My mouth began to water. My undying love of hops has conditioned me to react like one of Pavlov's dogs. Mouthfeel was thin, rather fizzy, kind of like soda pop. The taste was definitely grapefruit and you had best be a fan of the flavor because there was not much else to taste. It was overwhelming all of the other flavors, if there were any. Finish was tart and dry and once more, the truth in advertising bit came into play as it was definitely refreshing. It was as if I had a renewed palate. I liked it, but I am also big on grapefruit juice, so YMMV.

woodychandler, Jun 24, 2014
Illusive Traveler Shandy from The Traveler Beer Co.