Illusive Traveler Shandy - The Traveler Beer Co.

Illusive Traveler ShandyIllusive Traveler Shandy

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 128 | Reviews: 29
Reviews by ThaHealer:
3.75/5  rDev +4.5%

There's a line between Shandy and Radler and this presents a Shandy in a Radlers clothing. It drinks incredibly light and easy, almost like a juice, but has a crisp carbonated feel. It is fruity with huge grapefruit sweet and sour, sugary lemon and tart lime. It drinks and tastes like a Radler but it's 4.5 ABV. So you can shotgun this on a hot day and it will affect your brain.

3.19/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle with the expiration date notched out at August 2014. Sampled on May 30, 2014.

Milky, cloudy orange pale yellow pour with a fizzy white head.

The aromas are an abundance of fruits including orange, lemon, and grapefruit. I picked up a hint of black pepper too.

Light and refreshing body which is expected for the style.

Can one say "wine cooler?" OK, maybe a bit extreme but this has an overpowering fruitiness but shandies should I suppose. Not sure. I don't drink a lot of them. But it is more like a fruit drink for a hot summer day than a beer.

2.55/5  rDev -29%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

I picked up a bottle of Traveler Beer Co's Illusive Traveler Shandy last week for $1.69 at Boyne Country Provisions. I was looking for a good warm weather beer and since I've haven't seen this beer around locally I thought I would take a chance on it, so lets see how it goes. Notched best by august 2014. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks good, it's got an odd, but cool pop art like vibe to it and I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a cloudy golden orange color that took on more of a milky burnt orange color when held to the light followed by a finger and a half off bubbly off white head that quickly died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it left hardly any spotty lacing behind. This is a pretty average looking shandy, I wish the head and retention were a little better.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness and it's followed by a big grapefruit juice aroma that's just a little artificial smelling and it's followed b some citrus like aromas in the background with some citrus rind and slight orange juice like aroma coming through, There's pretty much no malt flavors and absolutely no hops flavors, it doesn't smell like it has any beer in it and from the aroma alone it might be confused as a wine cooler. I wasn't a big fan of the aroma, I wish there was no noticeable beer aspect.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of sweetness followed by the grapefruit still being the first to show up and it still has a little bit of that artificial aspect that I got in the aroma and when mixed with the sweetness it still retains that wine cooler like aspect. Up next comes the malts which just barely show up and they just impart a slight grainy flavor with a very slight bit of doughy yeast showing up in the background. On the finish there wasn't any bitterness just some sweetness with some more of that citrus and slightly artificial grapefruit flavors. This wasn't a great tasting beer, it was nice that there was actually a slight beer tastes to it, but it wasn't too noticeable and the sweetness and slightly artificial grapefruit were too dominating.

M- Fairly smooth, fairly crisp, a little refreshing, slightly cloying, on the thicker side of being light bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice, but i wish the sweetness wasn't a little cloying.

Overall I didn't care for this beer and I thought it was a below average example of a shandy, it really lacked the balanced that the better Shandys have and it felt like i was given some overly sweetened fruit juice with a little bit of alcohol in it. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it was fairly smooth, fairly crisp, a little refreshing, slightly cloying, not too filling, but the taste didn't do a good job of holding my attention and I started to to get tired of it after half a bottle so I think that would be around my limit for this beer, it was a little refreshing on a hot day, but it lacked the balance that I look for in the style. What I liked the most about this beer was the mouthfeel, it was the highlight of this beer and it worked well with it. What I liked the least about this beer was the balance and high sweetness, they both really needed some work. I wouldn't buy this beer again and I wouldn't recommend it either, it's not hard to find a much better Shandy. All in all I didn't like this beer, it just didn't do it for me and even on a hot afternoon it wasn't as great as I was hoping it to be. This didn't make for the best first impression for The Traveler beer co., but I might still try more of their beers. Better luck next time guys, this one needs some work.

2.78/5  rDev -22.6%

Great aroma but the sweetness was just to overpowering

3.15/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A- A dark yellow edging on orange. 3/4 inch of froth that bubbles out quickly.

S- So much powerful citrus flavor- straight out of juice- orange, tangerine, some grapefruit, less lemon and lime.

T- Whoa, much bitterer than I expected. The smell was so fruity and sweet I was not expecting this. It's a bit like chewing on an orange peel- very flavorful bitterness, and not the typical hops or roast bitterness. After the bitterness subsides it's all citrus fruit- tastes pretty much like half sparkling orange (Orangina) and half sparkling grapefruit. A little bit of wheatiness, but only if you search for it.

M- A little bit of lingering sweetness, but less than I would expect. It's not exactly refreshing. The pithiness/peel flavor does stick around in the back of my mouth and sides of the tongue.

O- A little one-note, but you have to expect that with a shandy. I'd say it's probably more interesting than a shandy I'd make at home, though not neccesarily better. Very fruity, so if you're looking for an alcoholic Orangina this will hit the spot.

4.07/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to its illusiveness, this one proved to be quite elusive for a while, then it needed an approved pic before I could proceed.

From the illusive bottle: "Quite a refresher!"; "Are you Illusive?"; "Ale brewed with lemon peel with natural flavors and grapefruit juice added".

I was a little concerned when I heard a release of CO2 when I began to pop the crown cap, but it was unfounded. Still, it was enough to convince me to use a gentle pour and I was glad that I did since I got a lot of foaming action, initially. It quickly settled into a finger-and-a-half of fizzy, rocky, bone-white head that acted like soda pop and quickly fizzled its way out of existence. Color was a downright cloudy orangish-yellow (SRM = 4 -5). The nose was a classic example of truth in advertising - it smelled like freshly-squeezed grapefruit juice! My mouth began to water. My undying love of hops has conditioned me to react like one of Pavlov's dogs. Mouthfeel was thin, rather fizzy, kind of like soda pop. The taste was definitely grapefruit and you had best be a fan of the flavor because there was not much else to taste. It was overwhelming all of the other flavors, if there were any. Finish was tart and dry and once more, the truth in advertising bit came into play as it was definitely refreshing. It was as if I had a renewed palate. I liked it, but I am also big on grapefruit juice, so YMMV.

3.75/5  rDev +4.5%

Great little Shandy, grapefruit right upfront with a good mix of sweetness and tartness. Good for a hot day.

3.64/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Stumbled onto this beer at a little hole in the wall bar. They called it their fancy beer. Ordered a case the next day. Nice crisp citrus taste. It will be a nice beer for the summer.

3.53/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Wonderful citrusy aroma, effervescent grapefruit juice on the palate... a beer drinkers morning vitamin accompaniment. Light unfiltered ale meets fruit juice.

3.4/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours a cloudy peach color, with a white soapy froth. Looks like a fruit smoothie in beer form. The aroma has alot of citrus notes from the lemon and grapefruit used in brewing.

The taste reminds me of a grapefruit soda, most like Sprite or Sierra Mist. Its tasty and refreshing, with some banana, citrus and grapefruit, The relative cloudiness of the Traveler shandies leads me to believe that wheat is a base ingredient in the beer portion. The flavors here work well and this is a nice alternative to the import and domestic grapefruit infused beers I've seen in recent years.

Easily drinkable with a light spritzer of a body and citrus lingering. On par with the other shandies and radlers of the world, perhaps lighter and cleaner. Pretty tasty.

3.6/5  rDev +0.3%

Refreshing citrus and a light ale-like taste in support puts the Illusive Travler Shandy on the summer drinking map. Half beer and half fruit juice promises an even-keel balance, but that''s a delicate element of finesse.

Their shandy pours with the expected confusion of whether it's an amber-stained ale or a fresh fruit juice. Only its wisping tarnish white head speaks to anything beer related. But those citrusy aromas extend way beyond that of hops and deliver the fructose-laden sweetness, tangy acidity and juicy grapefruit character that's truest to simple fruit.

Its sugary, soda-like middle may borrow some sweetness from its beery twin, but a simple sweetness is more of a lemonade but with grapefruit character. As the racing acidity strives to balance the fruit sweetness, its sugary weight simply holds on and resists the much-needed balance.

Its medium body foregoes any dry creaminess or malty-rich textures as it prefers a texture much more of sodas or semi-sweet wines. A slight lemony bitterness and sourness helps its finish, but more is needed to make the concoction resemble beer in any real way. Yet, there's a forgivable seduction that happens because of that bright citrusy character!

2.8/5  rDev -22%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

too sweet to be called a beer.

4.53/5  rDev +26.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Exceptional summer beer. A hint of grapefruit.

3.49/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Tastes like Fresca, but was not as bad as I thought it would be. Your high school girlfriend will probably love this beer.

4.83/5  rDev +34.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is an excellent summer ale. The smell is almost as wonderful as the taste. A must-have on a hot summer day.

I find it a bit too sweet for everyday drinking. Closer to a carbonated juice or soda than a beer. Perfect on Sunday morning, though. If you had friends over for brunch and told them it was a Mimosa, no one would call you a liar.

3.08/5  rDev -14.2%

A nice refreshing shandy. The appearance was a very hazy pale yellow with a very thin head. The smell was full of citrus, lemon peel and a bit of orange, combining with the sugary aroma from the lemonade. The taste was a little on the sweet end, but it did have a refreshing finish. The mouthfeel was a little flat but overall nice. Not bad, but nothing amazing either.

3.41/5  rDev -5%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours like grapefruit juice - pulp and all. Pretty much no head, with pulpy floaties throughout. Looks pretty nasty for a beer/shandy

S: Decent base with lemon peel and grapefruit juice. Pretty simple and straight-forward

T: Follows the nose. Starts off with some wheaty and fruity/citrusy notes including the lemon and grapefruit juice. Finishes with more of the same

M: Medium bodied with light, spritzy carbonation

O: Pretty good for a shandy, if you can look past the appearance. Easy to drink and best on a summer day

4.24/5  rDev +18.1%

lots of clean grapefruit bittering. then yeast.

4.24/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Perfect summer beer for a hot afternoon.

2.83/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Found this mix of grapefruit juice, lemon juice, and sugar to be way too sweet. I wanted to add ice. Would be ok in the right situation.

4.53/5  rDev +26.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Great summer time beer for all to enjoy.

4.74/5  rDev +32%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Love it or hate it kind of drink...I love it.

3.58/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Never had any of the Traveler offerings before and it was only because of the PhD requirements at the Cloverleaf Tavern that I finally gave in and sat down with one of these last night. For a warm night such as this, this was fine but this turned out to be one-dimensional once the lack of additional flavors and alcohol finally set in. It didn't fall under the category of a drain pour but even if I was able to dump this out, I had to finish it as something to enjoy the baseball game with...

The pour to this reminded me of something on the level of Blue Moon - golden, cloudy, and texturally dull. Very little head and lacing the just grapefruit in the nose. No burn or pith though, more something along the line of juice which was what I got in the taste as well. Some artificial sweetness too and a bit of honey in the mouthfeel was what kept me from handing it back to the bartender, but I was never going to do that anyways. While not a true wine cooler, I could see how some would confuse this as one given how light it felt from start to finish.

Booze? It was in here somewhere but at least I know that it didn't evaporate from the mug I drank this out of. I'm not a huge fan of Fruit/Vegetable Beers but think that a Shandy like this should be in a category distinct from that. While this won't win any awards, this made the case of why "Lawnmower" offerings exist but on a hot summer day, I'd rather pick up a 1/2 Ale than one of these. Only worth a go once just to see what this was all about.

3.33/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

this might be my favorite of the travelers so far, a tasty and refreshing brew, as genuine on the fruit as the lemon one, but a whole lot less sweet, i could drink several of these on a hot day. my criticism of it not tasting much like a beer is still there, and im not sure this satisfies any craft beer drinker in that way, no hops and such a light and diluted grain base as to be more of a juice or soda. still, the grapefruit tastes right on, ruby red, tart, piquant, and refreshing for sure. champagne like bubbles help it too. the low alcohol makes it an all day drinker, and while its not much of a beer, i appreciate this one i think as much as any of the others for being a little something different, and in comparison to many of the other grapefruit beers/blends out there, this is closer to the top of the heap than the bottom.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Illusive Traveler Shandy from The Traveler Beer Co.