Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Curious Traveler Lemon Shandy - The Traveler Beer Co.

Curious Traveler Lemon ShandyCurious Traveler Lemon Shandy

The Traveler Beer Co. visit their website
Vermont, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: goblue3509 on 06-14-2012

Curious Traveler is our take on a classic European Shandy that has been brewed for generations. We started with an American craft wheat ale, which delivers a crisp, light body. We then added fresh lemon and just a touch of lime to bring out a bright, juicy citrus aroma and flavor. Simply, the Curious Traveler is “Quite a Refresher!”
Reviews by Rick5150:
3.85/5  rDev +11.9%

As a reference to SouljaSaia17's review, please see this link:

"TTB filings show that Curious Traveler Shandy is being produced out of Boston Beer Company’s plant in Cincinnati, Ohio."

The reason that this is important is that I find this beer indistinguishabe from the Sam Adams Porch Rocker. Not a bad thing, in my opinion.

I bought this from Barbs Beer Emporium in Londonderry on 07/19/2012.

A: This shandy is a cloudy color, with a short white head that dissipated slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is strong lemon, malts, some grassy scents and a very faint touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out as lemonade. Finihses that way too, really. Almost like Sprite at times. The malt is really light and the hops are barely discernible.

M: Crisp and smooth. Again, I get the Sprite feel. I like the carbonation level and the sightly tart finish.

O: I drink all styles of beer and find this one to be perfect for sitting around a fire for the evening. It gives you a pleasant tasting beverage to drink while not being so overpowering that you find yourself laying across a firepit full of raging hot embers.

Very easy to drink if you know what to expect going in and enjoy it for what it is.

1.75/5  rDev -49.1%

3.41/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.07/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Not a fan of Shandys but this one was pretty good. One is my limited. Probably would not buy again but I'll give it one more try on a hot summer day.

3.33/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: bright yellow in color, 1/4 inch head, cloudy, moderate carbonation

Smell: lemonade and light ginger

Taste: lemonade and ginger

Mouthfeel: medium bodied and carbonation, sweet with spiciness.

Overall: An ok to above average shandy. I get lemonade and distinct ginger, but not much beer taste. Not bad, but I think there are better shandies out there.

3.22/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4.08/5  rDev +18.6%

3.84/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

It actually looks like a hazy white ale, bright yellow hazed sunshine summery shandy. Head forms nice bright white intricate lacing I can't complain about appearance, I have passed this stuff up since it was released, it showed up at my local, but I'd figure I would try now. Aroma bright lemon peel, bitter pith, bready notes hints of yeast additions. Flavor biscuit malt at the base with a big rounded sweetness, juicy lemon meringue creamy textures, balanced spritzy lemon lime peel additions almost like a witbier spiked with Sprite. I has you burping up the lemon peel notes after a few sips, actually much less offensive than I was expecting. Refreshing summer style ale, somebody had to compete with the success that Leinenkugel's has had with their summer shandy cans. As I inspect the label I keep thinking this looks like it has Sam Adams written all over it, the fine print reveals that it's brewed by Boston Beer Company marketed by a company out of Burlington, VT. I expect the same from the Angry Orchard offerings, just by looking at the packaging. Mouthfeel is creamy smooth refreshing summery offering that is being sold year round, I'm not sure how often I plan to partake but it's honestly pretty solid for what it is. I like the lower abv, at 4.4% abv this would be easy to imbibe a couple especially if I take my acid reflux meds, that's the only mouthfeel gripe I have is the acidity...carbonation is dead on carries it well really not cloying to me at all. Overall if you enjoy this type of beverage after cutting the grass, it's definitely refreshing for the warmer months.

3.09/5  rDev -10.2%

3.9/5  rDev +13.4%

2.8/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Decent looking shandy with a pale yellow color a bit of lacing clinging to the walls of the glass and a light covering of foam on the beer. But after giving this a try I was pretty disappointed, just seems to be a Mike's Hard Lemonade without the fizz.

2.75/5  rDev -20.1%

3.25/5  rDev -5.5%

3.63/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

It certainly looks the part, a lemon soda-colored brew with some fizziness but a substantial and lasting head as opposed to a soda. It's not large, but it has staying power and leaves more than moderate lacing.
It's got some beer character to it while being as refreshing as the style requires. It does have a light caramel-type malt and a ghost of pine. Otherwise, it's all lemon. There's an earthy sort of backbone that doesn't get heavy. I really don't get anything artificial here; just some juicy lemon, tart and zesty, a light peppery note, and a definite note of lemon peel itself, mildly bitter. They did what they set out to do, ending up with a simple but very nice little shandy.
It's light-bodied but almost medium, still crisp without being overly effervescent, nicely carbonated, soda-like as most of the style but with more body. Despite that, it doesn't lose its refreshing nature at all.

2.75/5  rDev -20.1%

3.5/5  rDev +1.7%

Curious Traveler Lemon Shandy from The Traveler Beer Co.