The Admiral - Brothers Craft Brewing

Beer added by: Camjmorton on 06-07-2013

to view more.
Ratings: 69 | Reviews: 6
3.7/5  rDev -8.4%

Draft. Pours a golden amber color but closer to amber than yellow. Little to no head. Smells like a wet hopped east coast IPA. Piney with some citrus but I mainly smell grapefruit. Tastes much the same. Not overly bitter. Sweetness cuts the pine. Makes it easier to drink. Solid IPA but nothing over the top for me. Little bitter on the backend with hops pronounced but again not a hop bomb. Feels consistent like most IPA as far as thickness. Good effort.

2.74/5  rDev -32.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

On tap:
I almost didn't rate this on my first taste, as I thought it might be a bad batch, enough so to contact the company. They were unaware of issues, and I tried a sample at another bar, and I have concluded this beer is not for me.

The sampler was better than I recalled the original review, but there was what I, personally, perceive as diacetyl at a level that is not enjoyable. The sample I had did have some pine dryness to it.

So, take this review within the context that it might have just not worked for me.

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

Wow. An addition to my list of favorites.

3.68/5  rDev -8.9%

Pale goldenish body with good head and lace on top of a citrusy aroma with a little bit of grainy malt. The beer is your basic IPA with some bitter, sharp citric hops and has some balance with sweet caramel and breadlike malt, although I find the hops a little strong and overpower everything else. This results in a slightly dry and unpolished finish that takes away the smoothness and overall drinkability of the beer. Enjoyed the brew but not going to go back to it.

4.16/5  rDev +3%

The Admiral is 3 Brother's double ipa. I love the style so I was excited to try this from our newly opened local brewery.

It pours a dark golden color with shades of amber. It smells citrusy. Grapefruits and maybe tangerines? Anyways the nose is pretty solid and the taste follows suit. It's a bit sweeter than my favorite 2IPA's but I wouldn't say it's "too sweet." There's a nice bitterness to balance out the sweetness of the caramel and fruit flavors in the beer. The mouthfeel is pretty good! medium bodied, not too thin, but not over the top chewy either.

Good, local IPA!

4.19/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

The Admiral is a dark amber IPA that borders the line between IPA and Imperial IPA. I'd say it's dangerously close to be considered Imperial, but the guys have it listed as an IPA on their site. It is well balanced with a bitter hoppy taste that compliments the amber malts in here. It's my favorite beer they have made so far.

to view more.