The Admiral - Brothers Craft Brewing

Brothers Craft Brewing visit their website
Virginia, United States

Beer added by: Camjmorton on 06-07-2013

4.21/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured on tap at the brewpub into a 5 oz. glass.

A creamy off tan colored topped head presented. Fairly cloudy with a bit of brown amber color and some orange hues.

Real nice aroma. Hints of mix of toast and biscuit malt warmth and basic hop pine. Slight juiced fruit quality in the mix as well.

Palate matches nicely. Mild juiced tropical notes, with excellent biscuit and graham cracker sweetness. Toasty caramel finish almost like a candy apple matching fruit. Excellent mouthfeel juiced, creamy and resinous which is quite an odd match.

Real solid tasting DIPA from these guys (589 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

12oz bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a hazy dark copper (with floaties!) with about 3/4" white head with good retention. Lacing is so-so.

S: Not very aromatic. Smells like dry earth & hop bitterness.

T: Huge. Much more fruit-forward than expected - big grapefruit & lemon peel. Dried fig & apricot. Pinier through the mid palate. Finishes dry & exceptionally bitter.

M: Higher carb & a lighter body than your typical DIPA. Not too syrupy, actually rather crisp.

O: This was a pleasant surprise. Gotta be my new fave from 3Bros. (549 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured from a 12 oz brown bottle into a clear glass tulip. Bottled on 16.05.15 on side of the label. 4-pack purchased at WIne Warehouse (Charlottesville, VA).

A: Slightly hazy light orange amber with 1-finger of frothy, rocky off-white head with good retention and excellent lacing.

S: Strong dank aroma up front cut with pine resin and citrus but all at low-medium power. Pale malt with light touches of caramel and breadiness.

T: Good not great flavor as the hops flavor is also lower intensity than it should be. Dank, musky Columbus style is first but fades to pine and grapefruit and orange citrus with some floral notes. Maltiness is inobteusive bready pale maltiness with lighter L caramel malts. No alcohol or yeast components. Medium bitterness. Needs to ratchet up the hops intensity but all in all good flavor profile.

M: Medium body at most with light carbonation and smooth feel overall.

O: A pretty good DIPA but it needs to push the hops level up a notch or two -- maybe highlight one or two hops flavors strongly rather than 4 or 5 modestly. (1,066 characters)

Little bit of watermelon, a little bit of rose petal, a little bit of herbal resin and a little bit of caramel/ tea leaf maltiness help this to be a very balanced beer. My bottle is 30 days old so imagine this was conceived to be much more balanced than most DIPAs. At 8.1% the malt really holds up the flavor as it starts to give up some nutty grain before yielding to piney, floral bitterness. (396 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -5.4%

Draft. Pours a golden amber color but closer to amber than yellow. Little to no head. Smells like a wet hopped east coast IPA. Piney with some citrus but I mainly smell grapefruit. Tastes much the same. Not overly bitter. Sweetness cuts the pine. Makes it easier to drink. Solid IPA but nothing over the top for me. Little bitter on the backend with hops pronounced but again not a hop bomb. Feels consistent like most IPA as far as thickness. Good effort. (476 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -29.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

On tap:
I almost didn't rate this on my first taste, as I thought it might be a bad batch, enough so to contact the company. They were unaware of issues, and I tried a sample at another bar, and I have concluded this beer is not for me.

The sampler was better than I recalled the original review, but there was what I, personally, perceive as diacetyl at a level that is not enjoyable. The sample I had did have some pine dryness to it.

So, take this review within the context that it might have just not worked for me. (523 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow. An addition to my list of favorites.

Update: After loving this the first time I tried it last year, I came here to see if everyone else was giving this love. Surprisingly, it was getting sort of meh reviews. So I went back this year and bought a fresh four pack and if anything it exceeded my memory of how good it was. I've also noticed that its stock has improved on BA, but I would highly recommend this. Not the hoppiest of DIPAs but a delicious malt backbone and smooth drinking make this a giant winner in my book. (526 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -5.9%

Pale goldenish body with good head and lace on top of a citrusy aroma with a little bit of grainy malt. The beer is your basic IPA with some bitter, sharp citric hops and has some balance with sweet caramel and breadlike malt, although I find the hops a little strong and overpower everything else. This results in a slightly dry and unpolished finish that takes away the smoothness and overall drinkability of the beer. Enjoyed the brew but not going to go back to it. (469 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +6.4%

The Admiral is 3 Brother's double ipa. I love the style so I was excited to try this from our newly opened local brewery.

It pours a dark golden color with shades of amber. It smells citrusy. Grapefruits and maybe tangerines? Anyways the nose is pretty solid and the taste follows suit. It's a bit sweeter than my favorite 2IPA's but I wouldn't say it's "too sweet." There's a nice bitterness to balance out the sweetness of the caramel and fruit flavors in the beer. The mouthfeel is pretty good! medium bodied, not too thin, but not over the top chewy either.

Good, local IPA! (581 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

The Admiral is a dark amber IPA that borders the line between IPA and Imperial IPA. I'd say it's dangerously close to be considered Imperial, but the guys have it listed as an IPA on their site. It is well balanced with a bitter hoppy taste that compliments the amber malts in here. It's my favorite beer they have made so far. (327 characters)

The Admiral from Brothers Craft Brewing