Pilsner - Gunpowder Falls Brewing

PilsnerPilsner

Gunpowder Falls Brewing visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

German Pilsener |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Tucquan on 05-19-2013)
Reviews by woodychandler:
3.71/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I met the brewer at the inaugural Lancaster Craft Beer Fest back in September, but I was unaware that they were bottling until we visited Union Beer House in Lebanon and I scored one there.

From the bottle: "German-style".

Having established that it is a German Pilsner, I popped the cap and began an aggro pour. The pseudo-cascade settled in to a finger of rocky, bone-white head that began to fall rather quickly, leaving nice lacing in its wake. Color was a slightly-hazy golden yellow (SRM = > 5, < 7) and Croesus, Mammon and Midas were already here, finishing off some Liquid Gold from earlier. Nose had a solid Noble hops grassiness, underlain by a biscuit maltiness. Mmmm. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was pretty hop-forward for the style, closer to a Czech Pils, but if you think that I am complaining about that, you are sadly mistaken! I love hops and prefer Czech Pils, but when it is labeled as "German-style", the malt should be more prevalent. Finish was dry, slightly bitter and definitely welcome.

3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

3.7/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured from the bottle into a pilsner glass.

A real beautiful looking pilsner. Creamy, top, thick and clumpy, with a bleach white head two fingers that has a lot of staying power. Body color is a little cloudy, but with numerous carbonation of thin pin head bubbles. Good lacing and clumping with an aggressive appearance.

Nose is an interesting smell of sweet bubblegum, dense pale/light malt with a bit of bread dough and very faint crispness. Pretty solid pilsner.

Palate is somewhat empty on first sip, with a large hop bitterness that seems slightly non-complimentary for a pilsner. Decent malt backbone with a good coating feel. Muted malt density with a big hint of quick hop astringency that is fleeting. No aftertaste. Improves with a little bit of warmth. Slightly boozy strangely also.

Overall, it seems like we were heading for something great, but we'll settle easily for slightly better than average.

3.94/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I am an ale lover, but I have been wanting to try something from this brewery for a while now. Glad I am finally getting the chance.

Great clarity on this beer. Bready nose. Flavor is fairly clean. There is a bit of ink and a pretty thorough grain tone to it. Could be evened out just a wee bit really. But as it is, it’s pretty good. I can highly suggest this one. I expect to be hearing from this brewery in the future. And if I don’t, it’s because of poor leadership or management. Not because of the beer.

3.83/5  rDev +0.8%

Had this on 2013-05-10 in New Freedom, PA at the brewery.

A - Clear gold with a 1-finger white head and mild lacing.

S - Pale malt sweetness, hop floral with hints of lemon and honey. Pleasant but not very strong.

T - Bready. Sweet, lightly roasted malt. Light fruit and good balancing bitterness, which lingers into the nice aftertaste.

M - Light body and medium carbonation give a crisp feel that dries nicely.

O - I like this Pilsner but don't know that it can knock Victory Prima Pils out of the top pils spot in my fridge. We'll see. I got a six pack to go (a good sign) and will have to evaluate this in more detail . . . . .

3.5/5  rDev -7.9%