Dunkel - Gunpowder Falls Brewing

Gunpowder Falls Brewing visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Munich Dunkel Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Tucquan on 05-19-2013

Our Dunkel or dark lager is brewed in the traditional Bavarian style. With its pronounced, warm Aroma, malty taste and a finish reminiscent of fine coffee, this beer will please the senses – even for the most generic beer drinker. Don’t let the color fool you. This is not a strong or “heavy” beer. The Gunpowder Falls Dunkel is brewed with five different malt types and is lightly hopped.
2.55/5  rDev -25.4%

I really like dunkels so I was excited to try this beer.

L: nice dark brown, nice cream head that lasts.
S: smells nice malty caramel slight hops
T: this really surprised me. Wow it didn't taste like it smelled. It was fruity and sour which was very over powering. It was not a pleasant taste. It was not like a normal dunkel I get from Germany. I barely tasted any malty caramel coffee notes.
The 6pack I got might have been bad because this does not taste right, even though it smelled and looked good.

3.38/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Clear amber in color with a quickly disipating head. Essentially no lacing. A light malty caramel aroma. Light carbonation, nearly a flat feel. Flavors are not overpowering, some roast, some caramel. Decent enough for the style.

3.68/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

This is not really a style I seek out, but I have been wanting to try this one for some time now, so I am going to try to keep an open mind and judge to style.

Just like the pils, spectacular clarity. Nose is thick with malty sweetness. Flavor bring a good bit of the same. Toffee seems to hit on the backend. What seems like a mildly overbearing sweet edge smooths out and the more richer aspects of the character show just a wee bit more than at the start. Not too shabby. I'd still throw in just a touch more hops to balance the sweetness. But not too bad overall. I think I prefer the pilsner between the two beers I've had from them.

3.76/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Had this on 2013-05-10 in New Freedom, PA at the brewery.

A - Mahogany with a 1-finger tan head that fades quickly and leaves mild lacing.

S - Sweet, lightly toasted dark bread and a hint of coffee. Not very strong at all.

T - Caramel, mocha-coffee, dark bread. On the sweet side but there's enough balancing roast and mild hop bitterness that it isn't at all cloying. I quite like the flavor, which does linger.

M - Light-medium body and medium-high carbonation. I really like the feel of this beer.

O - Nice flavor and feel. Easy to drink but not at all boring. Not many folks around here specializing in lagers. I bought a six pack to go and shared it with family members, who also enjoyed it.

Dunkel from Gunpowder Falls Brewing
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.