Pitch Black - Lost Nation Brewing

to view more.
Ratings: 114 | Reviews: 12
Reviews by Gambrinus1184:
3.93/5  rDev +5.1%

A-I wouldn't call it Pitch black but it's quite dark. Head is slightly tan and well formed. It retains it's body but doesn't lace all that much.

S-I was assuming this to be more of a Black IPA and I am pleasantly surprised to find out it isn't at all. This smells like a mellow, easy drinking Black Ale with some mysteries within that dark body. Smoky, a little burnt and very light in hoppiness.

T-Flavor is less burnt and more agreeably sweet, however I wouldn't necessarily call it a very sweet beer. It's a bit earthy and also it's definitely roasty. The color and the flavor seem to not match up but I like it.

M-Lighter bodied. Lively carbonation. Crisp. Dare I say refreshing?

O-I liked this beer a bunch. Doesn't taste anything like how it looks. Has enough interesting flavors too. Also happy it wasn't a Black IPA because I really wasn't in the mood for one.

3.39/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

On tap at Lost Nation. Served in a minisnifter.

Appearance - Despite its name, it's not quite black. Deep reddish brown. Nice khaki head. Laces well. Good retention.

Smell - Slight roastiness, but much more of a dark fruit presence. Yeastiness, too. Rustic is the word they would probably use here.

Taste - Roasted malt is first, surprisingly. A hint of coffee and smoke. Then some sweet fruity malts. Hops build up in the finish contrasting the whole profile.

Mouthfeel - A little creamy. Medium light. Medium carbonation.

Overall - Tastes pretty good, but isn't the most interesting beer.

2.75/5  rDev -26.5%

I had this as a sample as part of my flight today. Very dark and chocolatey, malty, caramely, chocolatey and metallic.. I kept getting a metal taste. I'm not sure if it was my palate, I would've loved a cracker or some other kind of palate cleanser, or if it was really there. My friend whom I went with, said she didn't get that at all and she really liked it. I liked it as well until the metallic after taste kicked in and I could not shake it. The malty chocolatey flavor was spectacular.

3.98/5  rDev +6.4%

On tap at Lost Nation Brewing in Morrisville, VT.

Pours a very dark, dare I say, pitch black color, with a small head, and a little bit of lacing.

Smells quite roasty, with some earthy root-like qualities, and some chocolate.

This feels more like a quite roasty stout than an American black ale. Very roasty and earthy, with a root-like flavor, a bit of grass, smoke and ash, and a heavily roasted malt. There's some sweetness in the form of chocolate as well.

The beer is medium bodied, with a crisp, dry mouthfeel, and a lower amount of carbonation.

An interesting take on the style, not really even sure what style it should be, but it does taste quite good, and that's the important part, really.

3.52/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Lost Nation.

Brown-black color typical of the style, with a small cap of tan head that held at a ringlet, dotting the glass with lacing. In the nose, dark roasty malts, mineral, pine needles. Similar taste, dark malts, mild roastiness, piney hops, moderate bitterness, tobacco, and an earthy/mineral aspect. Medium body, slick mouthfeel. Pretty good for the style.

3.76/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured on-tap and served in a nonic, the beer is a brown, light coloring with a frothy, clingy, tan head. Nose of chocolate, caramel, and roast. Flavors are smoke forward, with a chocolate and caramel backbone and some earthy highlights. Smooth, earthy, and sweet. Light and smooth in mouth, with a smoky sweet aftertaste. Clean, lingering finish. Not bad at all.

4.25/5  rDev +13.6%

Smoky, rich, and super flavorful- like a session imperial stout. Sometimes it's not as good on draft at other locations than the brewery but I'm not sure where the fault lies with that.

4.21/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On-tap at Parker Pie Wings at the Newport State Airport in the NEK of Vermont!

A: Well...it's pitch black. Frothy off white head that settles into some nice lace and retention.

S: Roasted malt and smoke dominate. Charred, woody, smoky goodness.

T: Similar to the nose. Seriously smoked. Didn't expect it but it's a nice twist on the style without being a true rauchbier.

M: Slightly spicy with plenty of carbonation but lots of great flavor and a delicious finish.

O: Big fan of this beer but I've always been a fan of black ales and smoked beers. A nice change from all the hops I've been enjoying.

3.94/5  rDev +5.3%

This beer was great, but I gotta say it was closer to an american porter/stout than Black Ale. Hop presence was overpowered by the taste of roasted bitterness.

4.12/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Smooth, well balanced. I enjoyed.

4.13/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Having tried all of the offerings from Lost Nation now I can say with absolute certainty that this is my FAVORITE beer from them. Im writing this review from memory so please bear with me.

A - They aren't kidding with the name. This beer is black and completely opaque. Pours with a large creamy head much like a Guinness. Delightful really.

S - This is the haziest part of the beer for me, but I remember getting toasty notes from the malts and a slight hop presence. Will update after another test pint.

T - Again, toasty and very pleasant. Slight hop presence at the end to bitter it up, but subtlety and very appropriately for the beer.

M - This is where this beer hits a home run for me. Great creamy body, VERY much like a stout or heavy cream ale. Totally leaves me wanting another sip immediately. This beer is dangerously drinkable.

O - Overall is I drink this beer whenever I can. My only regret is that they currently aren't doing growler fills of this beer. :(

3.85/5  rDev +2.9%

A-dark brown black color with a nice tan head and good lacing

S-roasted malt, little cocoa, light smoky and citrus, pine

T-dark roasted malt, citrus, light char, hint of licorice, pine, mild to moderate bitter finish

F-medium body with moderate carbonation, creamy and smooth

O-enjoyed this black ale, decent flavor and nice body

to view more.