Microbrew Invitational

Apex PredatorApex Predator

Off Color Brewing
Illinois, United States | website

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

When you brew as much as we do, sometimes we get tired of telling the yeast what to do. For Apex Predator Farmhouse Ale, we pitch the yeast cold, turn off the temperature control, and let the yeast do it's thing. To our delight, it spat out the sweet scent of juicy fruit wafting from a frothy, white mane. Brewed only with grain and sugar unencumbered by the heat of the kiln, we create a hazy, golden body. Apex Predator gets its teeth from a generous Crystal dry-hopping that completes the dry finish with a fruity bite. Pounce on the opportunity to let it part your lips and you may find yourself at the top of the food chain.

Added by emerge077 on 01-15-2014

Reviews: 116 | Ratings: 810
Reviews by kustard:
4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

4.09/5  rDev +0.7%

Bottle. Pours cloudy and pale yellow. The head is large and strong. It retains with stubbornness. Light scars of lacing. The aroma is very exciting. It smells funky and has a pronounced lemon character. Sourdough and grains and light Belgian yeast phenols. The flavor is interesting. The Belgian yeast character is noticeable but not overpowering, thankfully. The funk found in the nose is set to a similar intensity. Just a slight hint of sourness. Lemons and homemade cider. Hay and soft spice. All parts are balanced. Body is fairly light. Carbonation nearing soft. I enjoy this brewery's look, their style preferences and their product quality. Another nice Off Color beer.

I have been to quite a few breweries from eight cities. I have yet to find something as delicious and consistently worth my time. I know it's only n opinion, but this beer is my number one. By a landslide.

4.02/5  rDev -1%

Pours into my Hennepin stemmed glass a slight hazed lemon yellow with just a tinge of orange,a great looking one finger bone white head that settled slowly into a frothy mass.Alot of lemon and orange oils in the nose wich gives off some tartness,mild funk in the background.Dry with a little toasted grain upfront on the palate with a little tartness from lemon-like notes,not much funk or phenols to be found wich I like.Very drinkable and dry with refreshing tartness,awesome summer beer here,my first Off Color beer is a hit.

4.23/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Light, slightly hoppy farmhouse ale. Yeasty, fruity and refreshing, really enjoyed this beer.

3.9/5  rDev -3.9%

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

3.96/5  rDev -2.5%

4.15/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

4.68/5  rDev +15.3%

This farmhouse is exactly to my taste. Excellent lemony nose. Light-medium body, which is a little surprising considering the relatively high ABV for style. Prickly carbonation and citrusy flavors with a very dry finish with just a hint of sweetness is everything I like about an American farmhouse.

I'll make it a point to pick some of this up next time I'm in Illinois.

3.87/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Flavor profile is lemon, pepper, hay, and tropical fruits. Nicely done for the style, although I have others that I prefer. This is my favorite beer from Off Color so far.

4.49/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Welcome to summer. Not the usual farmhouse ale. Almost IPAish. But wait, the carbonation, the yeast, the brightness, the peppery notes, yes farmhouse.

L: Yellow to golden haze
S: Yeasty, peppery spice, some citrus notes
T: Ooh ah, refreshing, bright and bold
F: High carbonation for no head, surprised
O: Will keep this in the fridge for the summer rotation

My 1st Off color Brewing beer, excited for more.

Apex Predator from Off Color Brewing