Troublesome - Off Color Brewing

TroublesomeTroublesome

Off Color Brewing visit their website
Illinois, United States

Gose |  4.30% ABV

(Beer added by: MasterSki on 06-17-2013)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Troublesome Alström Bros

Off Color Brewing "Troublesome"
12 oz. brown glass bottle, no apparent freshness dating.
$3.25 @ Stinky Bklyn, 215 Smith Street, Brooklyn, NY

I can't deny that marketing affects me. When I saw the label on this beer I just had to try it. In addition to the artwork, the label also reads "SECRET INGREDIENTS: Coriander, Lactobacillus"...

It looks like a Berliner weiße or Belgian witbier with a light straw gold body that's gently hazy and a short but creamy bright white head. The smell is a touch off-putting at first. To me it smells like spent grain, and perhaps a little bit of that "old bar" smell where dripping draft lines have left small puddles of beer in some unseen area, covered in white mold. Beyond that there's coriander, and the combination gives a bit of a wet straw or damp plywood character. The flavor is much the same, with the flavor of the lactobacilus coming in right up front, followed by bright coriander, and then sweet malt that gently fades away. It's tart, but not overtly so, and the balance of tart going to sweet is interesting. Oddly I find it a bit salty as well... ? ... and I see that it's listed on Beer Advocate as a Gose beer, but that's not on the label, nor is salt listed as a "secret ingredient"... but of course, it is (I checked their website). So now it all makes sense. Well that's great. Personally I find the salt a bit strong, but that's up to the brewer to decide. It's curious, charming, and ultimately, refreshing and enjoyable. It's not the best gose bier I've had, but I'm impressed and I'll have to try seek out and sample more beers from them.

NeroFiddled, Aug 27, 2014
4.52/5  rDev +18.9%

Scapino, Today at 08:22 PM
3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

Not sure where I'm coming out on this beer - don't think I've ever had a gose and I've been excited to try one. It's a delicate light bodied beer - nice dark yellow color with medium haze and little to no head. The taste as first seemed complex with a slight bit of Belgian, slight lacto acid but not at all overwhelming, and refreshing. Can't get much smell out of it, and as I drink the beer down to better try to understand the taste profile, my thoughts keep moving to "this tastes more like a watered down ginger ale" to me - I guess the ginger taste I'm getting is a mix of the coriander and salt. Kind of disappointing for me, but not a bad beer for fans of this style in my ever so humble opinion. Nonetheless, I am excited try some of the other Off Color offerings.

hopley, Today at 01:33 AM
3.65/5  rDev -3.9%

On tap:
Pours nicely, decent small bubble carbonation, fading to a fluffy bit of head at the edges. Color is yellow side of golden, translucent. Nose is malty sweet, with a bit of salinity present. I get something a bit like cocoa butter lotion, but with a deep whiff, I can detect some tart undertones.

Taste does not seem to have any sourness to it. The taste is pleasant enough, but far from expectations. There's actually a slight buttery nature to this beer, but it is combined with a sweet-tart candy-like taste (like an apple now 'n' later), and a saltiness that is cut like a salted caramel has the salinity cut.

Really disappointed with the front tartness. Overall an nicely balanced, fairly enjoyable beer, but not exciting or, to me, within style enough.

cjgiant, Yesterday at 01:37 AM

LennyBound, Oct 14, 2014
2.5/5  rDev -34.2%

dheldman, Oct 13, 2014
3.56/5  rDev -6.3%

Bottle shared with a friend at World of Beer in Gainesville. Pours hazy yellowish white colored with a creamy white head on top. Aroma of bananas, clove, yeasty funk, pears, coriander. As expected here. Flavor follows with sweet bananas, yeast, corander, a bit of honey. Mouthfeel is heavy for the style with big rich flavors alongside adequate to plus carbonation. Overall a decent rendition of the style--described as a Witbier, but here looks to be a Gose. As a Witbier, it falls a little short. As a Gose, it's better than others I've had. I would drink it again.

BMMillsy, Oct 13, 2014

3.52/5  rDev -7.4%

Drewfer, Oct 08, 2014

spointon, Oct 06, 2014
2.75/5  rDev -27.6%

Smells like buttered popcorn. Is that diacetyl? I don't have a lot of knowledge or experience with beer flaws. Despite that, it's not bad... but not great either.

yarnbomb, Oct 06, 2014