Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Troublesome - Off Color Brewing

Off Color Brewing visit their website
Illinois, United States

Gose |  4.30% ABV

Beer added by: MasterSki on 06-17-2013

Most brewers spend a lot of time and effort keeping lactobacillus out of their breweries; it was the first thing we brought in (it still has to stay in the corner though). We blend together two different beers to make Troublesome. The first is a somewhat uninteresting wheat beer and the second is an overly acidic & funky beer fermented solely with lactobacillus. We blend the two beers together with coriander and salt at the tail end of fermentation to create a mild, lemony tartness and a fuller sensation of mouthfeel. And yes, it's hard to make.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Troublesome Alström Bros
2.04/5  rDev -46.3%

If I could rate a beer based on look, smell, and mouthfeel this one would do ok. Unfortunately for this beer, i base my ratings on taste. This is an absolute turd of a Gose. At $10 a 4 pack too - to say I am unimpressed is an understatement. Barely any salt, some coriander, zero sour profile. Terrible Gose.

The smell is there, murky straw color, good carbonation too.

2.75/5  rDev -27.6%

Smells like buttered popcorn. Is that diacetyl? I don't have a lot of knowledge or experience with beer flaws. Despite that, it's not bad... but not great either.

2.75/5  rDev -27.6%

Interesting, but ultimately distasteful. Enjoy Gose very much, but found the lacto way too prominent to the extent that taste devolvd to sour milk aftertastes. Seemed a relatively nicely made beer. Would try the brewery again,.Maybe just a bottle that wasn't the best.

2.79/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

This one is okay. I don't pick up much of the coriander and salt. It tastes and feels more like a wit than a gose. It is pretty easy drinking, a lot of carbonation. Thin body with very little after taste.

Nothing I would write home about. I'm don't think I'll be drinking this one again.

2.8/5  rDev -26.3%

Small to medium white creamy head. Hazy pale gold color. Aroma has a slight funky note, but overall is a bit indistinct.
Taste has a slight bite up front. There is a bit of a wild sour nature here, but it is overly tempered by a watery wheaty base. I would like to see more sour and less wheat. There is a faint salty tinge to the finish. Aftersight is fairly flat looking. Just a few spots of soapy cling and a thin ring of retention.
Overall, this is an entry level sour which might make a decent session beer. Stronger sour presence is called for. Decent for what it is intending to be.

2.88/5  rDev -24.2%

This beer is troublesome in that it is neither sour nor salty. Had this been classified as a wit beer, it would probably get better scores but this has to be the worst gose I have ever had. It has nice carbonation, I will give it that. But only that.

2.91/5  rDev -23.4%

L - Transparent pee-colored yellow. No head. Ok carbonation.

S - Bready, coriander, slight banana, little bit of salt, odd sourness, pilsner malt

T - Wheat, bready notes, not sour in a good way as bacteria not making this tart and neither is the salt

F - Light, not all that refreshing thanks to odd sour character

O - Not repulsive, but there are so many better Goses out there.

2.94/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.75

12 fl oz bottle
Served in a beer flute

It is golden in color. It is pretty clear, maybe a slight haze. There is plenty of carbonation. It is topped with two inches of off-white head that settles to a thin layer with no lacing.

This beer smelled skunked when I opened it. I don't think that is what they were going for. I guess I can pick up some lemon too.

The taste is like a corona with salt and a lemon.

Smooth mouthfeel

I should probably revisit this beer. I had it on tap in Chicago, and it certainly didn't taste like this. This is not a good interpretation of the style. I hope when I revisit that I find that this bottle was indeed skunked.

2.94/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

I had a draft at Lucky's wicker park. Super pale and transparent. High head which quickly dissipated. Smells like it will taste quite bitter, virtually no aromatic hops, but a bit of spice (probably coriander ). Tastes a bit sour. Would not have again.

3.13/5  rDev -17.6%

Sought for so long and then it's… ok. I get those salty coriander flavors, and/but reads like a wheat beer so there's that. (Drives it home: I don't much like wheat beers.) Sparkles on the tongue though, and goes pretty well with a beet sandwich.

3.16/5  rDev -16.8%

Lactobacillus isn't normally the brewer's friend, but it shows up in this beer in spades. I'm not a sour beer noob, but I'm not a big fan either. I have to say that I bought this not expecting a sour beer. I probably should have known better when I saw wheat beer and coriander on the label. (Both traditional ingredients in Gose.) I've certainly had much better sour beer, but this wasn't awful. Any brewer willing to play with lacto is rather courageous and for that they should be commended. Also, not the beer to have after eating chili.

3.17/5  rDev -16.6%

12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Pale yellow body. Small white head. Very thin collar.

Smell - A bit of lemony citrus. Wheat. Light breadiness and spice.

Taste - Wheat. The faintest of acidity, but not even tangy. Spicy and bready in the middle. Light salty finish.

Mouthfeel - Light. Not sour at all. Medium low carbonation.

Overall - It's ok, but it just tastes like a salty wheat beer.

3.18/5  rDev -16.3%

This poured yellow and with a scant head of white foam. The nose was sweet with wheat and had some earthy coriander on it. It smelled like it had some tartness and some salt to it. Sweet lemon peel. The taste was malt forward. Sweet wheat which was dry and a bit crisp. But the coriander made it earthy and taste heavy. The lemon was sweet and I wanted to taste tartness. There was no saline or salty finish and it did not finish dry. It tasted like cereal grain after a while and was bland and dull. I did not think this was a good representation of the style. Even for a wheat beer it drank blandly and without much flavor.

3.2/5  rDev -15.8%

The few offerings I've had from Off Color have all been very enjoyable. This one, eh, I dk. It's just alright.

12 oz bottle poured into a Three Floyds Teku. Pours a light golden straw color with a finger of a white head. Nose is nice. Lemon, some mild brett funk, salt. Taste is just so salt heavy that it's offputting. You get a tiny tiny bit of funk - kinda have to search for it though. And a lemony/salty finish - which to me is just not working very well. Mouthfeel is moderate - a little more body than you'd expect and carbonation is low.

Again, this is decent, but the salt is just way too dominant in this one. It needs some more flavors to balance it out. Brewed with brett so I'll throw a bottle or two in the basement for a bit and see how it turns out.

3.23/5  rDev -15%

Pours with some nice lacing. This has a very nice nose of, well, coriander, of course. It also has a slight lemony/ sweet biscuty smell. Very lightly sour, but merely a faint hint.

Now for the magic moment- and... what? very light, faint, almost whispery hints of lemony wheat. Really lackluster compared to the nose. Strong nose, weak flavors. Keep expecting the flavors to pop, but they never do.

Mouthfeel is a tad watery and thin. Good carbonation for a few seconds then a puckery flatness. Lacto nothing. Not catching any wildness here. Feels like a ghost after the nose of promise. Just average with no lasting flavors on the palette.

Coming off Westbrook's salt laden mouth popper this just feels lackluster.

3.3/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

12oz bottle that I believe I paid $3.99 for which if this is gose then i guess they priced it to be in line with imported gose? Either way its not cheap for a bottle of 4% wheat beer. Appearance is a hazy yellow-orange, ok head. Aroma is a slight bit of bile at first which must be from teh lacto? Maybe not. The bile subsides and then a decent wheat aroma takes over. The flavor was quite mild and easy to drink, wheat and yeast but i didn't really taste any saltiness at all.

3.34/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Very thin bone white head, covers the surface before a swift dissolve to just an accumulation along the glass sides, no real lacing either. Metallic yellow color, has good shine to compensate for overall paleness, not any bubbles but what’s there are large and active. The nose is on the flat side, yeast, iron flecks, wet straw, brown dirt, the mixed white citrus struggles to maintain presence, minimal peach, apricot fruit scents, funky on the whole albeit more sugary as it warms. Medium-bodied, heavily carbonated with an active churn in the mouth. Corn syrup kind of sweetness, dough, honey and lemondrops, can’t say it is easy to discern any coriander although there is an undistinguished cooking spice thing there. Peach, yellow apple to cherry flavors. The wheat is clearer, here comes off more as bread than uncooked dough. Semi-tart ending tries to play up earthiness but, again, more metallic than the former. For its weight can be refreshing and strikes one as a dinner table beer more than a quaffer on its own.

3.39/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Taste is orange, coriander, and lemon. I do not get the saltiness that I typically associate with the style despite a bit of mineral taste. Worth a try, but there are others that I prefer in the style.

3.41/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle, no apparent freshness date
A - hazy and pale yellow with a thinner white head
S - mild nose with some earthy hops, wheat, and coriander
T - tart, sweet, and slightly sour with lemon, coriander, wheat, earthy hops, faint salt, and the oats actually come through as well
M - lighter body, finishes semi-tart, and puckeringly very dry
O - very refreshing with some good flavors. I may try this again. I feel like I should have enjoyed it more than I did.

3.43/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Hazy golden body with a thin short-lived white head. S: Citrus, yeast, coriander & pineapple aromas.
T: Orange peel, coriander & lightly tart citrus flavors. Yeast notes are present.
M: Light bodied, tart, refreshing and dry.
O: Quite light and refreshing. Tart funkiness adds character and flavor.

3.43/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle into a teku.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy straw color. The head is a finger high and white in shade. Retention - while not great - is surprisingly long for this kind of beer, and its texture is creamier than normal. Only a little bit of lacing sticks to the glass, though. (3.25)

Smell: Very lactic. There's a strong crabapple bite that invades the nostrils, as well as a touch of coriander. It seems to miss that salty note that other goses have, though. But having said that, this also seems more easy going than the most. We'll see how it tastes... (3.25)

Taste: I get a surprising amount of the "somewhat uninteresting wheat beer" at first. To me, coriander is the dominant note, with only traces of lacto and salt rounding things out. More of the latter qualities appear as more is drunk. The whole thing is restrained, subtle, and balanced - it's not my favorite gose, but I still dig it a whole bunch. (3.5)

Mouthfeel: Very full-bodied for the style. Despite the fullness and the relative sweetness, it remains refreshing and easy to drink. Carbonation is oddly restrained, but it works. (3.5)

Overall: I honestly prefer the very sour yet salty version of the style (think along the lines of Union's Old Pro), but I can certainly appreciate Off Color going for a more 'traditional' and restrained gose. This seems like a beer that will reveal more layers the more I drink it, and that's always a good thing. Naturally, I'll have to buy more of this to find out. (3.5)

3.43/5: Certainly not troubling on the palate

3.49/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Great pedigree at this brewery and glad they started distro in NY. The label design is wonderful, hoping the beer inside is the same.

Pour very thin white head that dissipates quickly, moderate carbonation. Biscuits smell up front with a touch of funk. Flavor is slightly tart with just enough salty to make the mouth water. Sort of a Belgian yeast flavor and clean finish. Light mouthfeel and on the dry side of things.

This is the first beer I had from Off Color, and while not my favorite in the style, it has some good things going for it. I will follow this brewery to see what is next.

3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

I got this as part of a build-your-own six pack for $9.99 at the Binny's store in Bloomingdale, IL. 12oz brown bottle with no freshness date.

The beer poured a cloudy yellow color with just a ½-finger of white head that dissipated in less than 30 seconds and leftr no lacing whatsoever.

The beer smelled like wheat, fruit, funk, and spice.

Wheaty flavor with a big lemon twang and hefty dose of coriander spice. Not much in the way of hop bitterness.

Light bodied with really high carbonation. Salty aftertaste.

A very different and interesting beer. Easy to drink with the low 4.3% abv.

3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

Not sure where I'm coming out on this beer - don't think I've ever had a gose and I've been excited to try one. It's a delicate light bodied beer - nice dark yellow color with medium haze and little to no head. The taste as first seemed complex with a slight bit of Belgian, slight lacto acid but not at all overwhelming, and refreshing. Can't get much smell out of it, and as I drink the beer down to better try to understand the taste profile, my thoughts keep moving to "this tastes more like a watered down ginger ale" to me - I guess the ginger taste I'm getting is a mix of the coriander and salt. Kind of disappointing for me, but not a bad beer for fans of this style in my ever so humble opinion. Nonetheless, I am excited try some of the other Off Color offerings.

3.51/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Served from 12oz bottle and on-tap, updating notes

A — Pours a moderately clear, though still slightly hazy, light pale yellow into the glass. There is a nice nearly white colored head atop of the beer, though minimal lacing is left behind.

S — Smells of light wheat and pale malts, as well as some lightly acidic and tart lemon.

T — Lots of wheat, little bit of salinity and tartness, but really a lot of wheat and malt sweetness.

M — Light-Medium bodied, there is a lingering sweet finish as well.

O — OK overall, really would have loved some more tartness and less sweetness.

Troublesome from Off Color Brewing