Troublesome - Off Color Brewing

Off Color Brewing visit their website
Illinois, United States

Gose |  4.30% ABV

Beer added by: MasterSki on 06-17-2013

Most brewers spend a lot of time and effort keeping lactobacillus out of their breweries; it was the first thing we brought in (it still has to stay in the corner though). We blend together two different beers to make Troublesome. The first is a somewhat uninteresting wheat beer and the second is an overly acidic & funky beer fermented solely with lactobacillus. We blend the two beers together with coriander and salt at the tail end of fermentation to create a mild, lemony tartness and a fuller sensation of mouthfeel. And yes, it's hard to make.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Troublesome Alström Bros
Ratings: 849 | Reviews: 146
1.52/5  rDev -59.8%

good wheat beer but terrible gose
no sour, coriander, salt or much of anything

2.04/5  rDev -46%

If I could rate a beer based on look, smell, and mouthfeel this one would do ok. Unfortunately for this beer, i base my ratings on taste. This is an absolute turd of a Gose. At $10 a 4 pack too - to say I am unimpressed is an understatement. Barely any salt, some coriander, zero sour profile. Terrible Gose.

The smell is there, murky straw color, good carbonation too.

2.59/5  rDev -31.5%

I don't know if I got a bad bottle or something, but this was terrible. Perhaps I'll give it another shot some other time.

2.69/5  rDev -28.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

All I got was a weakly flavored, average wheat beer.

2.7/5  rDev -28.6%

Couldn't finish it. Dull. Flat. Gross.

2.75/5  rDev -27.2%

Smells like buttered popcorn. Is that diacetyl? I don't have a lot of knowledge or experience with beer flaws. Despite that, it's not bad... but not great either.

2.75/5  rDev -27.2%

Interesting, but ultimately distasteful. Enjoy Gose very much, but found the lacto way too prominent to the extent that taste devolvd to sour milk aftertastes. Seemed a relatively nicely made beer. Would try the brewery again,.Maybe just a bottle that wasn't the best.

2.79/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

This one is okay. I don't pick up much of the coriander and salt. It tastes and feels more like a wit than a gose. It is pretty easy drinking, a lot of carbonation. Thin body with very little after taste.

Nothing I would write home about. I'm don't think I'll be drinking this one again.

2.8/5  rDev -25.9%

Small to medium white creamy head. Hazy pale gold color. Aroma has a slight funky note, but overall is a bit indistinct.
Taste has a slight bite up front. There is a bit of a wild sour nature here, but it is overly tempered by a watery wheaty base. I would like to see more sour and less wheat. There is a faint salty tinge to the finish. Aftersight is fairly flat looking. Just a few spots of soapy cling and a thin ring of retention.
Overall, this is an entry level sour which might make a decent session beer. Stronger sour presence is called for. Decent for what it is intending to be.

2.86/5  rDev -24.3%

im new to the style , not sure if i like it , if u like refreshing beers give this one a shot

2.88/5  rDev -23.8%

Worst attempt at a gose I've ever tasted

2.88/5  rDev -23.8%

This beer is troublesome in that it is neither sour nor salty. Had this been classified as a wit beer, it would probably get better scores but this has to be the worst gose I have ever had. It has nice carbonation, I will give it that. But only that.

2.94/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.75

12 fl oz bottle
Served in a beer flute

It is golden in color. It is pretty clear, maybe a slight haze. There is plenty of carbonation. It is topped with two inches of off-white head that settles to a thin layer with no lacing.

This beer smelled skunked when I opened it. I don't think that is what they were going for. I guess I can pick up some lemon too.

The taste is like a corona with salt and a lemon.

Smooth mouthfeel

I should probably revisit this beer. I had it on tap in Chicago, and it certainly didn't taste like this. This is not a good interpretation of the style. I hope when I revisit that I find that this bottle was indeed skunked.

2.94/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

I had a draft at Lucky's wicker park. Super pale and transparent. High head which quickly dissipated. Smells like it will taste quite bitter, virtually no aromatic hops, but a bit of spice (probably coriander ). Tastes a bit sour. Would not have again.

Didn't care for the wheat sour combo

Outlier detected. Justify rating with a review.

A little too much coriander--overpowers the flavor, although it's a possible I had a bad batch.

Not really salty or sour at all, just a low abv wheat beer. Not what I was hoping for.

look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Bad after taste. Nothing special

3.13/5  rDev -17.2%

Sought for so long and then it's… ok. I get those salty coriander flavors, and/but reads like a wheat beer so there's that. (Drives it home: I don't much like wheat beers.) Sparkles on the tongue though, and goes pretty well with a beet sandwich.

3.16/5  rDev -16.4%

Lactobacillus isn't normally the brewer's friend, but it shows up in this beer in spades. I'm not a sour beer noob, but I'm not a big fan either. I have to say that I bought this not expecting a sour beer. I probably should have known better when I saw wheat beer and coriander on the label. (Both traditional ingredients in Gose.) I've certainly had much better sour beer, but this wasn't awful. Any brewer willing to play with lacto is rather courageous and for that they should be commended. Also, not the beer to have after eating chili.

3.17/5  rDev -16.1%

12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Pale yellow body. Small white head. Very thin collar.

Smell - A bit of lemony citrus. Wheat. Light breadiness and spice.

Taste - Wheat. The faintest of acidity, but not even tangy. Spicy and bready in the middle. Light salty finish.

Mouthfeel - Light. Not sour at all. Medium low carbonation.

Overall - It's ok, but it just tastes like a salty wheat beer.

3.18/5  rDev -15.9%

This poured yellow and with a scant head of white foam. The nose was sweet with wheat and had some earthy coriander on it. It smelled like it had some tartness and some salt to it. Sweet lemon peel. The taste was malt forward. Sweet wheat which was dry and a bit crisp. But the coriander made it earthy and taste heavy. The lemon was sweet and I wanted to taste tartness. There was no saline or salty finish and it did not finish dry. It tasted like cereal grain after a while and was bland and dull. I did not think this was a good representation of the style. Even for a wheat beer it drank blandly and without much flavor.

3.2/5  rDev -15.3%

The few offerings I've had from Off Color have all been very enjoyable. This one, eh, I dk. It's just alright.

12 oz bottle poured into a Three Floyds Teku. Pours a light golden straw color with a finger of a white head. Nose is nice. Lemon, some mild brett funk, salt. Taste is just so salt heavy that it's offputting. You get a tiny tiny bit of funk - kinda have to search for it though. And a lemony/salty finish - which to me is just not working very well. Mouthfeel is moderate - a little more body than you'd expect and carbonation is low.

Again, this is decent, but the salt is just way too dominant in this one. It needs some more flavors to balance it out. Brewed with brett so I'll throw a bottle or two in the basement for a bit and see how it turns out.

3.23/5  rDev -14.6%

Pours with some nice lacing. This has a very nice nose of, well, coriander, of course. It also has a slight lemony/ sweet biscuty smell. Very lightly sour, but merely a faint hint.

Now for the magic moment- and... what? very light, faint, almost whispery hints of lemony wheat. Really lackluster compared to the nose. Strong nose, weak flavors. Keep expecting the flavors to pop, but they never do.

Mouthfeel is a tad watery and thin. Good carbonation for a few seconds then a puckery flatness. Lacto nothing. Not catching any wildness here. Feels like a ghost after the nose of promise. Just average with no lasting flavors on the palette.

Coming off Westbrook's salt laden mouth popper this just feels lackluster.

Troublesome from Off Color Brewing