Microbrew Invitational

Added by Beaver13 on 12-24-2003

Reviews: 6 | Ratings: 6
Reviews by SamN:
4.48/5  rDev +15.5%

Back on tap for what I suppose is a limited time. Get it while you can!

Beautiful black beer, with a fantastic creamy, bubbly head. Dark, dirty brown color, great looks. Smell was cocoa powder, roasted coffee, dark gritty smells. Taste is is wonderfully roasted and burnt, but without the off-putting bitterness. Not much in the way of hops, maybe some in the clean finish, but mostly just classic roasted porter tastes. Easily the best beer I've had of Coopersmith's. Not super complex, just damn tasty and solidly built.

Wonderful to drink a few while waiting for our table, then a couple with the NY strip and a few more afterwords....couldn't get enough!

3.86/5  rDev -0.5%

11/30/04: thin and much blander than I recall. Still a decent porter.

12/23/03 - 5 4.5 4.5 4 4.5 - 4.55: The Existential poured beautifully. It was a dark black with a thick, creamy, tan head that rose from the bottom of the glass and had great retention. The aroma was malty with chocolate and coffee tones. It tasted of sweet malts and chocolate with a bitter coffee finish. It was nice and creamy, yet had a slighty thin mouthfeel. Overall, I like this a lot. It is a great drinkable porter, that I've had many times this month. I hope they will brew this regularly!

3.73/5  rDev -3.9%

It poured a dark black with huge tan head that faded slowly and left huge walls of creamy lacing.

The aroma was of robust coffee, roasted malts, a touch of smoke, cocoa, and earthy hops.

Balance is off in the taste. It is either black patent overdone or out of balance on the roasted malts. It taste more like a stout than a porter with too much on the raosty side. Bitter cocoa notes, a touch of smoke and too much hops on the finish for the style.

Medium bodied, typical porter body.

Overall, an out of balance, but drinkable porter.

4.1/5  rDev +5.7%

What a fine beer!

Red-black nearly opaque with a solid creamy light-tan head that lasts to the bottom of the glass and leaves lots of lacing.

Smell is like chocolate espresso with some malt underneath and a bit of spicey hops on the side.

Taste is chocolate, chocolate mousse and chocolate espresso, with a peppery clove finish.

Mouthfeel is amazingly thick and chewy. Slurpalicious. I didn't want to swallow this.

Drinkability is quite good due to the smooothness and depth of flavor.

4.15/5  rDev +7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This pours a very dark brown bordering on pitch black with a very small head of foa.

The smell I'm getting is of roasted malt but it's very light on the nose.

The taste is very complex. I'm getting some roasted malt but I'm also getting some sweetness and that's followed by some fruitiness, mainly plum and raisin, and a bit of citrus in the background. Very tasty and very easy drinking. Wow. I can't keep my glass on the table for very long....I just want to and have to take another sip. The finish isn't even slightly bitter in the least; I just get more of that dark fruit goodness and it has a very smooth mouthfeel. I think this is a fine example of an American Porter and anyone that visits Coopersmiths in FT Collins should *not* miss trying it. I love it!

2.96/5  rDev -23.7%

Cask. Subtle, fruity malt driven aroma giving hints of cream, milk, chocolate, coffee and roasted malts. Very coffeeesque, definately showing the use of black malt. Lingering coffee flavor, especially on the finish. Other fruity, malty flavors (chocolate, pit fruit) and a very low hop and bitterness level. Watery texture. One I won’t be having again.

Coopersmith's Existential Porter from Coopersmith's Pub & Brewing
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.