Sigda's Green Chili - Coopersmith's Pub & Brewing

No picture uploaded.

Coopersmith's Pub & Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Chile Beer |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-22-2002)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by assurbanipaul:
1.35/5  rDev -59.7%

The bartender warned that you either love this beer or hate it, so varied reviews shouldn't be surprising. Without contest, the worse brew I've ever had and the only one in 35 years of swill drinking I've been unable to finish.

By all appearances, a standard pilsner. But the aroma, taste and mouthfeel are dominated by the acrid chili taste, masking any sensation that this might actually have been brewed. Save your money and just drink the juice from a can of green chilies -- it tastes about the same.

2.85/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

A - Yellow marigold pilsener or kolsch appearance with a faint green cast. A tiny cap tops this seemingly harmless brew.

S - Smells like those pepperocinis that you get with Papa John's pizza. Almost like a pickled pepper. Definitely green peppers...like Cholula green pepper sauce. There are also some vinegar notes, but no real underlying beer smells.

T - Not as hot as I thought it would be. This is nice and spicey, but not nuclear-hot like Dave's Cave Creek Chili Beer. I like the flavor of hot stuff, but can't handle anything more than half-way up the Buffalo Wildwing's wing-sauce menu, and this didn't set off any fire alarms in my sensitive gut either. Pretty good if you take it slow...big gulps can clear your sinuses.

M - Just feels hot more than anything. Medium bodied, prickly carbonation, and some mildly painful heat.

D - Actually pretty damn good. I thought that I would hate it, and it's not something that I would really buy again, but I'm glad that I gave it a shot. This is actually a drinkable chili beer!

2.17/5  rDev -35.2%

Clear yellow-hay hue, bright white head of a finger in height, it looks very much like a Pils. The head retention was very good, surprisingly so, and there was a fair amount of webby lacing. So far, so good. Then I took a whiff. Chili pepper. Heat. Nothing more. It is not my cup of beer really; the potency was strong and not inviting for me. Regardless I took a sip. Chili pepper flavor upfront and a good amount of heat in the back, it was too much for me. I’ve had two other beers of this sort, one was restrained and “good,” Jaipur’s Jalapeño Ale (3.15) and the other was the infamous Crazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili Beer (1.00), not so good. Sigda's Green Chili is some where in the middle. I was difficult to pinpoint the mouthfeel, it was around medium-light with moderate carbonation, it wasn’t watery or oily; that is a plus. I can’t say it was very drinkable, I’m glad I sampled it just to get a better grasp on this “style.” I wouldn’t recommend this to anybody but a Chili-Head.

3.25/5  rDev -3%

3.5/5  rDev +4.5%

My first chili beer on tap at the Brew Pub. You can definitely taste the chills and feel them in your lips. I liked this beer.

3.43/5  rDev +2.4%

If there ever was a beer that **Required** food to go with it, this is the one. You gotta have Mexican (or some spicy) cuisine with this puppy. Otherwise, you'll be chili'd over.
Appearnce: It has a clear yellow color and a white head. No different than Buttwiper
Aroma: Chilis
Flavor: This is where you need to have some enchiladas to pair with this. It would be good w/ food, but a disaster otherwise. This is a nicely done chili beer. I liked the chili flavor, but it's not something you can drink alone, IMO.

2.6/5  rDev -22.4%

Not bad for this theme, but I'm just not a fan of this style at all.

It poured a light golden amber with a thin white head that faded fast and left ok lace.

The aroma was of green chili peppers, earthy and ripe. An underneath backbone of cracker, biscuit and crisp green peppers. Vegetables and mineral water.

The taste follows with loads of earth, a touch of heat and a backbone of watery, crisp,light lager.

Completely underwhelming and kind of gross.

3.7/5  rDev +10.4%

This became one of my favorite drinks at Coopersmith's - but mostly when paired with a small glass of tomato juice. Ask the bartender, they have a stash of them. Drink a few sips to make room in the glass and then top up with the tomato juice (spicy or non, they have both).

This been is flavorful with just enough chili zip to make you notice. To me it was like an IPA but instead of the bitterness of hops you have the chilis front and center. A delicious brew...

4.09/5  rDev +22.1%

Yellow and clear with some rising bubbles, looks like a blonde ale.

Peppers are done to perfection. There's just enough heat to let you know it's a pepper beer, but it's not at all overwhelming or "hot" to the taste. Beyond that it's somewhat of your standard (tasty) blonde ale.

Don't even hesitate because it's a pepper beer, this one is very tasty.

3.55/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Had this one on tap at Coopersmith's today with cheese pizza and a Johnny Cash's
Ring of Fire Burger. Poured a clear golden yellow with a lingering ring of white foam. Aromas of hatch chilies, serranos, jalapenos and light straw. Palate was light bodied and crisp with a dry warming finish. Flavors of hatch chilies, jalapenos and serranos with a smooth dry waming lingering chili finish.

3.85/5  rDev +14.9%

Looks like a typical pilsner, a bit pale and thin. Minimal head, but it did lace a bit. I noticed the smell right off the bat. Noticeable green chile front, a bit sweet a bit spicey. Some floral hints come through as well, must be the PA coming out. The chile aroma isn't overpowering, but it is dominant.
Same goes with taste. Chile is dominant but not overbearing. A slight hot-spice hits at the end, but calms down to more of a floral finish. A bit sweet at first before the chile comes out. Still a bit thin, but I think that's good. I'd hate to have a thick chile coating. Very nice.

3.63/5  rDev +8.4%

Probably the best chili beer around. With that said, you're either going to like it or hate it depending on your opinion of the style. Because this one is among the most potent of that style...it's probably even more polarizing.
Arrives a pretty standard pale golden color. Could be a pils, blonde, export or kolsch just based on the appearance. Head's pretty thin, but because it's a draft offering, that's intentional.
Smells like roasted green chilis and sweet malt.
In fact, the taste is pretty much along those lines. It starts off like a sweet blonde ale at first, but in the middle you get a huge wave of chili flavor. It's somewhat spicy, but you won't be hunting for water or another beverage. Finish is clean and lingering southwestern chili flavor.
It is what it's supposed to be, and it's a beer I almost always finish with when visiting Coopersmith's. The pepper flavor in this brew and the maltiness of the recipe make a great blend.
I really like this, but I can definitely understand how someone could hate it.

3.45/5  rDev +3%

appearance - no real head to speak of which is common for the style, a golden pale yellow.

smell - strong chile peppers, not much else. a good beer for culinary matches

taste - pretty spicy, lots of hot peppers, not as good as the ghost face but not a bad option but any means.

mouthfeel - all pepper, thin body, hardly any carbonation

4.22/5  rDev +26%

My final beer from a lunchtime session at Coopersmiths - this was my favorite.

This was a light gold beer in color with a one-finger creamy white head and very little carbonation. But, ah! The chili aromas! Chilies, chilies, chilies!! No other aromas really detected, but this is a chili beer, after all...

The taste is predominately green chilies, but there is a slight hint of malt in there. Tangy, hot (but quite bearable) and spicy with a medium mouthfeel from beginning to end.

This one is for chili beer lovers. If this isn't your style, then don't bother. Otherwise, definitely check this one out, especially if you're eating some wings or other spicy foods...

Reviewed from my notes dated 1/5/12

3.33/5  rDev -0.6%

Had with lunch at the brewpub. Color is gold, with almost no head. Looks like a normal beer until you get close enough to smell it. The aroma is completely green chili - very inviting if you are as big of a fan of green chili as I am! Taste starts out with just a bit of grain, and then the green chili kicks in. It isn't overly hot, but has a very powerful green chili flavor. I enjoyed this beer, but it is definitely more chili than beer. Also seems like a recipe for heartburn if you drank more than one.

3.68/5  rDev +9.9%

On tap at the brewpub, I had a five ounce glass of this which was plenty. Golden yellow with a couple bubbles on top. The smell was really good, all peppers, reminded me of sniffing nachos covered in jalapeños. The taste was mostly peppers with some heat to it. I thought this was well executed for a chile pepper beer but I still couldn't see myself drinking a whole pint of this.

3.1/5  rDev -7.5%

Served in a pint glass.

A: Very clear gold, with no visible carbonation. A foamy white head doesn't stick around. No lace is left behind.

S: Peppers are the theme here, and that's what really stands out. Jalapeno pepper sauce is what dominates. The aroma is right on target for the style, but very one dimensional.

T: The pepper theme keeps on coming. Spiked jalapeno pepper juice is the best descriptor. The heat is strong, but not so over the top that I found myself reaching for my water. Any actual beer flavors are masked well. Toward the end, I tasted a bit of straw like malt and even a hint of corn breaking through.

M: The light body has too little carbonation.

D: If you like a Chili Beer, you'll probably like this. I found it to be a nice example of the style. The appearance was the only glaring weakness here. More of a novelty to me than a beer I'd order again.

3.25/5  rDev -3%