Chocolate Covered Cherry - Funky Buddha Brewery

Florida, United States

American Porter |  6.30% ABV

Beer added by: Alieniloquium on 11-18-2013

4.04/5  rDev +11%

This beer at first disappointed me as I was expecting the typical over the top treatment. This beer is fairly subtle but really grew on me over time.

Pours a nice dark brown with a nice but smallish head.

Has dry chocolate with a hint of cherry on the nose

The taste is bakers chocolate with hints of cherries, I was expecting a HUGE beer with a wet boozy finish with more of a chocolate covered cherry flavor. What this this is way more subtle and a beer you can absolutely have more than one of.

Mouthfeel is somewhat thinner than expected but still nice and creamy with a smooth feel in the moth. Very ways drinking

Overall this one really grew on me over time, I'd still like an imperial version of this that smacks you over the head but this is a really nice very enjoyable treatment.

3.76/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Received this in a trade. Was super excited...then I saw the reviews. D'oh! Guess I should have gone for the Sweet Potato Casserole . Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a nice dark, dark brown almost black hue with a biiig almost 3 finger mocha head that fades to nice lacing and a creamy blanket. Really, really nice.

S - Big chocolate notes and loads of vanilla. Nice faint cherry notes. Initially the nose was pretty unappealing. I was hit with an almost olive brine like nose...as it warmed though that faded away and nice powdery bakers chocolate. I wish there was more cherry.

T - Loads of sweet, syrupy chocolate and some bakers chocolate. Tons of vanilla here. Its a delicious porter, but I find myself struggling to find cherries. They are super faint but there. There is a faint herbal/medicinal cherry note towards the back end before giving way to more chocolate.

M - Mouthfeel is really nice. Not quite silky like I usually like with a porter but the nice carbonation makes this almost crisp on the finish.

O - Overall, while this is a delicious porter it really lacks the cherry notes for me to want to go back to this beer. Very unfortunate.

3.33/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

On tap at the brewery. Served in a snifter.

Appearance - Arrives with a huge head. Lasts for a long time. Beautiful lacing and chunky islands of foam on the surface.

Smell - Roasty malt. Faint cherry fruit aroma. A bit of chocolate.

Taste - Cherry is more pronounced but blends into the roasted malt character. Caramel malt. A little nutty. Lactose sweetness.

Mouthfeel - Medium body. Well carbonated. The cherry lends a touch of acidity.

Overall - Not one of the Buddha's better porter treatments. The bar is set pretty high though.

Chocolate Covered Cherry from Funky Buddha Brewery
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.