Floridian Hefeweizen | Funky Buddha Brewery

Added by DosBeerigos on 09-27-2010

Reviews: 72 | Ratings: 463
Reviews by jwjon1:
2.82/5  rDev -25.6%

This one is tough. I can't help but to feel I'm being over critical of the Funky Buhhda image, and that I probably look like I'm hating on hype. Oh well. My other funky buddha reviews will be much less critical than this one.

My least favorite Funky Buddha offering, and I generally really appreciate Hefes. Bananas all the way from aroma to finish. It's really overwhelming, almost like eatiing banana runts. Remember those? What I appreciate about FB is that they can take a taste sensation and turn it into a spot on beer. And though I didn't know it when ordering, I really didn't want to revisit my youth through runts candy. Beyond that dominant aspect--which resulted in a uni-dimensional flavor--the finish was extremely short. I appreciate hefe's, just not this one.

3.5/5  rDev -7.7%

4.15/5  rDev +9.5%

This is my first beer from Funky Buddha and I have to say that I was thoroughly impressed despite it being a "shelf" beer. Really great color and smell that fits the Hefeweizen style perfectly. My non-craft drinking friends enjoyed this one as well. Tons of bananas and cloves. I could drink this all day. FB definitely made a great first impression.

2.8/5  rDev -26.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

3.28/5  rDev -13.5%

3.48/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.92/5  rDev +3.4%

Notes from 7/2012

A somewhat hazy pale yellow pour with a thin cap of white foam. Huge banana aroma with just a bit of lemon. Taste is similar, with a touch of bubblegum thrown in. Definitely light in flavor and body, even for the style, which was intentional from what I understand after talking with the brewers. A slight tartness as well, but pretty refreshing overall.

3.5/5  rDev -7.7%

2.5/5  rDev -34%

3.33/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Tap at Proof. Slightly hazy tan-orange with off white head, medium-thick collar. Aroma is really citrusy, I get some plenty of wheat-like grains, and some berry. Light in body, low carbonation. Thin mouthfeel, this beer fades quickly from my palate. Taste is pretty much exactly like the aroma.

3.94/5  rDev +4%

3.6/5  rDev -5%

3.77/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.72/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Brilliant gold colored with a fingernail of pale white around the rim and covering about half of the top. There's a massive amount of small carbonation bubbles erupting from within. While I do detect some banana esters in the aroma I would also have to say I find some pale wheat and perhaps some light lemon notes. The banana esters dominate the flavor with the pale wheat showing in the back of the palate. The mouth is very light, dry, and smooth.

4.25/5  rDev +12.1%

3.75/5  rDev -1.1%

Served on tap in a shaker pint glass

A - Slightly hazy pale wheat with 1 finger white head with good retention and moderate lacing

S - Wheat, banana ester, honey.

T - Nice strong wheat backbone with moderate-high banana esters, sweet honey, touch of orange, very refreshing.

M - Light body, moderate carbonation, crisp.

O - Great lawnmower bear, more banana in my hefe than I life, but overall though it had a lot of flair.

On a side note this is beer review number 200 for me on BA. Woot!

4.01/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.85/5  rDev +1.6%

3.75/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Floridian Hefeweizen from Funky Buddha Brewery