Maple Bacon Coffee Porter - Funky Buddha Brewery

Beer added by: DosBeerigos on 10-20-2010

to view more.
Ratings: 1,161 | Reviews: 182
3.49/5  rDev -22.4%

Very disappointing beer. Thin mouthfeel. Muddied flavors. The only thing that really shined was the maple after it warned a bit. Not worthy of the hype, but furthermore, not worthy of a repeat purchase even if this was sitting out at a local shop instead of released on one specific day every year. Terrible.

3.52/5  rDev -21.8%

Originally got to try a growler of this one from Doodler a while back. Cheer for that one mate. Thought I'd give a bomber a review instead. Got this one from 7clutch a while back. Cheers, as always!

From a bomber into a snifter
Porter with coffee, maple syrup and natural flavors added

APPEARANCE: Clear dark brown pour yields a 2+ finger, medium looking, creamy, light tan head with very good retention. Clear black body with medium levels of carbonation evident. Slowly fades to a full foamy cap.

SMELL: A bold maple aroma jumps right out of the bottle upon opening. Pretty impressive. Lots of maple syrup, cotton candy, caramel and piles of butterscotch, some coffee, a touch of roasted aromas as well, but really, this is a maple syrup and butterscotch bomb. Impressive stuff, though perhaps a little over done, believe it or not. Maple syrup is notoriously difficult to get to come through, and here it comes through in droves.

TASTE: Perhaps not as impressive as the nose had indicated, unfortunately. Some caramel and toffee sweetness up front, with a touch of coffee flavor as well, but it all comes across a bit bland and muted compared to the onslaught of aroma. A medium but lingering finish of sweet maple syrup, butterscotch, some notes of bitter, creamy coffee and some lightly roasted flavors as well. It’s interesting and satisfying enough, but there’s not much in terms of the smoke you’d expect from the description, and unfortunately it’s not nearly as decadent or as satisfying as the nose.

PALATE: Medium body and medium carbonation. A little foamy and perhaps a touch watery on the palate, not creamy enough really, goes down fine and finishes rather dry.

OVERALL: This is the second time I’ve had this beer and I hate to say that it’s the second time it didn’t quite live up to expectations, unfortunately. It is an enjoyable drink, but the flavor doesn’t follow the brilliance of the nose and the feel is a little weak, which doesn’t help the situation either. For me, the flavor would have to be a little more forthcoming and the feel smoothened out before I could really join in all the praise that this beer gets. For now, it’s just not quite as spectacular to me. In any case, I was really happy to see this one again, so cheers to 7clutch for sending one over.

Super amazing awesome beer! Most of these reviewers must have gotten a different batch than I got. The aroma is amazing. I didn't wash out the bottle just so I could smell it for days. Maple upfront, lots of coffee in the middle, then light bacon smoke to top it off. Best Porter there is (at least that I have found). I have traded for two more since this first bottle. By the way, I drank the first within weeks of the annual release party.

3.49/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Stale coffee, Aunt Jemimah's and microwave bacon.

3.38/5  rDev -24.9%

I'm vegetarian, the "bacon" don't work for me

3.95/5  rDev -12.2%

Incredible beer. Unlike anything I've had.

3.52/5  rDev -21.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Maybe I went into this expecting too much. The complex flavors that I was expecting just were not there. Bascially a coffee porter. I got a little maple but no bacon. Mouthfeel was on the thin side.

3.84/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Tastes like decent, light coffee porter. Not much maple, not any bacon, and just a hint of coffee over a very light bodied porter. Not the flavor explosion I was expecting at all, but still pretty decent outside of what its advertised to be.

3.57/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Was excited to try this one at Extreme Beer Fest but honestly didn't find it to be that great. Decent porter but not one of my favorites.

3.38/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Very well excecuted, but McGriddles aren't really my thing.

4.1/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

This beer I'd super unique. Breakfast in a bottle. Maple and pork... Yes, its there. Would've rated higher, though I prefer BA beers. A must try though.

4.44/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Wasn't expecting much but the nose on this is out of control, how are they able to make the nose so vibrant? The taste follows suit but not as pronounced

Great stuff

4.45/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This porter has it going on. Such a complex beer for the style. I have a hard time figuring out how they pack so much flavor into this beer. It really has the sweet, sticky maple syrup. It has the smoked malt, bacon flavors. And the coffee roast doesn't disappoint. Very easy to drink. Very flavorful. One of my favorite porters.

6.4%? really? So easy to drink and so complex.

4.77/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

One of the most unique beers I have had. A must try for enthusiasts.

4.5/5  rDev 0%

Great nose of bacon and campfire smoke. Great balance of taste between the coffee and maple. Really unique beer!

4.95/5  rDev +10%

A: Pitch black pour with a thin khaki colored head. The head quickly dissipates into a ring around my glass.

S: Smells of black coffee and strong maple syrup. A hint of smokiness is also picked up. Reminds me of breakfast, which is obviously the intention. I've had coffee beers and maple beers, but the medley of the two in the nose is divine.

T: Black coffee is first, followed by bacon covered with maple syrup. The saltiness from the bacon flavor works very well with the sweetness of the syrup. This is definitely one of the best tasting beers I've ever had. Sometimes with beers you're searching for the flavors within the beer, but with MBCP the flavors are very pronounced and straight forward. No guess work here.

F: A fairly heavy mouthfeel for a porter, but thinner bodied than a stout would be. The maple flavor lingers on my pallet until I take another sip.

Overall: This is one of the most enjoyable beers I've ever had. The flavors are unique for a beer in the sense that it tastes like I poured maple syrup in a cup of coffee and dipped my bacon in it. I wish these were more readily available, especially in my neck of the woods. I'm definitely going to savor every sip of this.

4.77/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Picked this one up on a trade. Very kind thanks to the gentleman who sent this one to me!

Appearance: Very dark brown, looked like a thicker porter, but a porter nonetheless.

Aroma: Its all there, oddly enough the aroma was more dominant right out of the bottle and faded once poured into a glass. Coffee was definitely more dominant, but the maple and bacon were definitely in there. Smelled like breakfast in a bottle!

Taste: Not too sweet, very well balanced. The coffee was the most prominent note, but on the back end there was a subtle note of maple and then the bacon came through even more mildly, but there nonetheless.

Overall: Very well made porter, interesting concept, I just wish it wasn't so hard to get! Lucky I have a fantastic trading partner from Florida who hooked me up!

2.6/5  rDev -42.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer smells and tastes exactly like you would expect. I did not care for it at all. It was thin and entirely too sweet. Too gimmicky for me.

4.97/5  rDev +10.4%

I couldn't believe how accurately this nailed the tastes of a perfect breakfast. I was immediately transported to a diner with a stack of pancakes, some smoky bacon, and a cup of joe. I was impressed with how smoky the flavor was. Another super solid offering from FB.

4.49/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The beer pours a dark, totally opaque black and without head formation/retention. The nose is initially spicy coffee-forward, but the maple sweetness comes through much stronger as the beer warms. The taste carries forward distinct maple sweetness, bacon smokiness, and coffee bitterness, while maintaining the integrity of a solid porter base - a very unique and enjoyable experience. Despite the heavy handed flavor profile and nearly-still body, I'm impressed by this beer's drinkability. The mouthfeel is rich with flavor, but isn't quite as heavy as a stout and despite the adjuncts, there is still some roasted malt in the finish that reminds me this is a porter. Pleased to have tried this and would definitely recommend it to others

3.02/5  rDev -32.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Just didn't enjoy the flavors here. Oddly they are three of my favorite things in life but putting them into a beer was just not a good idea. I was looking forward to this and was supremely disappointed. I'm obviously in the minority here but just not my cup of tea I guess.

Way too roasty. Didn't get enough flavor.

4.46/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

The beer comes in a black color.

The aroma is where FB excels. It is literally breakfast in a glass. Maple sweetness, bacon smokiness, a strong roasted coffee, all covered in a touch of milk chocolate.

The flavor follows with the coffee up front, a bit of chocolate, very little smoked bacon flavor, and a medium plus porter quality.

An imperial version of this would be out of this world.

3.84/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Excellent looking: dark red-brown with excellent clarity.
Not as great as the name suggests.
O: kudos for managing to get maple, coffee and a hint of bacon into a porter.

4.46/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

man, what a special brew, and the way i got to try ti was pretty special too. it came through a trade i suppose, but a generous giving by its original owner, who runs a little pizza shop in port saint lucie florida called tavola, which i must recommend as strongly as one can, some of the most delicious and innovative pie i have encountered, and i am a real pizza enthusiast. thanks rob, my new pal, for this beauty! the beer pours like you would expect it to, nice dark mocha brown head over a dense looking brew the color of a coffee bean. it smells incredible, the coffee is the most evident by a landslide, but the other elements are there, and the maple is wholly authentic, not like the fake stuff, this is the real deal. the bacon is weird, there is a meaty smokiness, but i cant place bacon right away from the nose, it opens up though as it sits. plenty of coffee on the first sip too, thats the flavor i taste first. there is a dark chocolate undertone to it, and a roasted barley depth and texture not common in beers under 7% abv, which i still cannot believe. so many dark and interesting beers these days are 10% abv and sit in a whiskey barrel until the original beer is not recognizable, not this one folks, this is pure genius, and so different for those reasons. the bacon comes on real distinct in the flavor right after the swallow in that second or two long zone of stillness before all the coffee and maple flavors come rushing back. its almost salty, and definitely smoked, but its not intrusive, it just tastes like a really good and complete breakfast. the maple is responsible for a very long finish, and it carries a sweet nutty roast from the grain with it, although its never too much. i tasted maple on my mustache the next morning, and it was just as good, so this one has some staying power. i suspect its better fresh than aged too, although i may never know. the coffee and maple seem so forward, you would hate to lose that. the bacon is never greasy but gets more and more distinct as i zero in on it, i just frankly cannot believe how different and good this is, and how generous rob was to share it with me. a complete treat, and maybe the liquid highlight of my vacation to florida. worth the hype and then some.

to view more.