Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Maple Bacon Coffee Porter - Funky Buddha Brewery

Maple Bacon Coffee PorterMaple Bacon Coffee Porter

Wants: 2,082
Funky Buddha Brewery visit their website
Florida, United States

American Porter |  6.40% ABV

Beer added by: DosBeerigos on 10-20-2010

Reviews: 176 | Hads: 1,319

I don't normally take the time to review a beer, but this one is exceptional. I've been fortunate to have 2 different batches at the brewpub and both have well exceeded my expectations.

Served in a snifter

The first thing that hits you is the amazing aroma, like you are inhaling a stack of maple syrup covered pancakes...underneath you get a hint of the bacon.

In the taste, more of the maple and lots of coffee.
A phenomenal beer. If my wife would let me (and there was more of it to go around) I would drink one everyday for breakfast.
Thanks, Funky Buddha!

This beer is exactly as advertised. Pure bliss of deliciousness.
Heavy maple in the nose.
Slight bacon smoke in the taste
If the maple wasn't so dominate the coffee might have come through a little more, but I can't find a single flaw in this beer

Ebony body with brown edges is capped by a khaki head. Espresso coffee, Vermont maple syrup, smoke & roasted malt nose and flavors. Creamy smooth mouthfeel with sweetness in abundance. Breakfast in a bottle. Amazing.

This beer is perfect. Amazing and groundbreaking to marry all these flavors together so perfectly. So good it'll leave your hand sticky like you're eating pancakes. The bacon flavor is the real deal. Perfectly subtle. Love! Exceptional beer. Namaste Funky Buddha!

A : Poured black w/ dark brown hue around the edges. Head is tan / minimal thickness and quick dissipation. Minimal Viscosity.

A: Straight maple syrup w/ blend of morning coffee.

F: Likewise in flavor. Sweet upfront w/ coffee / a little toasty on the back end.

M: Mouthfeel is medium-light. No alcohol warmth.

O: This is the best porter I've ever had. I'd have more to say, but I'll let this beer talk for itself. Seek it out !!

Super amazing awesome beer! Most of these reviewers must have gotten a different batch than I got. The aroma is amazing. I didn't wash out the bottle just so I could smell it for days. Maple upfront, lots of coffee in the middle, then light bacon smoke to top it off. Best Porter there is (at least that I have found). I have traded for two more since this first bottle. By the way, I drank the first within weeks of the annual release party.

Great beer from the buddha, my fav place to get great local brews from. This beer in my opinion has THE BEST SMELL EVER for a beer, there i said it! It really does smell like breakfast complete with coffee, pancakes and bacon. Got 2 bottles at the house and am trying my hardest not to drink any of them right this minute!!!

Pours black as night with very little head, i usually just sit there for the first 5 minutes and take in the smell. Can't wait for the imperial version!!!

4.97/5  rDev +11.4%

Wow! I typically do not review beers, but this beer is an exception.

Had this beer yesterday at the Jupiter Craft Brewers Festival. The line was insane to get a sample of this beer, and the keg went quick!

Poured a dark brown almost black, with a nice amount of head to the tasting glass. The aroma was filled with coffee, maple syrup, and hints of smoke. This is a breakfast beer! The taste was unlike anything that I have had before. Lots of maple syrup on the initial taste, then followed up with some serious coffee notes. Simply Amazing!

I went back for a second taste and the keg was kicked!

This was the best beer at the festival, it was the most drinkable out of all the big stouts which were being poured (Hunahpu, Big Bear's Imperial Stout, Swamp Heads Midnight Oil Treatment, and several other stouts/porters). Just a fantastic beer!

4.97/5  rDev +11.4%

Appearance: Presents with a fudge brown color capped by a mocha head that leaves a fair amount of lace

Smell: The maple and coffee dominate, with the chocolate and bacon elements underneath

Taste: Black bread, chocolate and coffee flavors, up front, with the bacon adding a subtle element on the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Overall: Lives up to the hype, with all of the flavors presenting in a nicely balanced fashion; just extraordinary and well worth seeking out

4.97/5  rDev +11.4%

I couldn't believe how accurately this nailed the tastes of a perfect breakfast. I was immediately transported to a diner with a stack of pancakes, some smoky bacon, and a cup of joe. I was impressed with how smoky the flavor was. Another super solid offering from FB.

4.95/5  rDev +11%

A: Pitch black pour with a thin khaki colored head. The head quickly dissipates into a ring around my glass.

S: Smells of black coffee and strong maple syrup. A hint of smokiness is also picked up. Reminds me of breakfast, which is obviously the intention. I've had coffee beers and maple beers, but the medley of the two in the nose is divine.

T: Black coffee is first, followed by bacon covered with maple syrup. The saltiness from the bacon flavor works very well with the sweetness of the syrup. This is definitely one of the best tasting beers I've ever had. Sometimes with beers you're searching for the flavors within the beer, but with MBCP the flavors are very pronounced and straight forward. No guess work here.

F: A fairly heavy mouthfeel for a porter, but thinner bodied than a stout would be. The maple flavor lingers on my pallet until I take another sip.

Overall: This is one of the most enjoyable beers I've ever had. The flavors are unique for a beer in the sense that it tastes like I poured maple syrup in a cup of coffee and dipped my bacon in it. I wish these were more readily available, especially in my neck of the woods. I'm definitely going to savor every sip of this.

4.94/5  rDev +10.8%

Such a fun time hangin with Calton and enjoying this one during hobo tasting number 8. this may very well have been one of the best beers i have ever had, hands down. just simply superb in every way. served into two pint glasses and enjoyed on 4/30

the pour was a thick dark motor oil brown with loads of lacing coating the sides and just a really sticky, messy look to it that seemed to plop down in the glass like sludge.

as i reach in to catch a wiff i am overloaded on maple syrup. i have never had a beer have this much maple in it. it was was really simply amazing. so sweet and full of everything, i cannot say enough good things about this one, it really was simply amazing. as it warmed, molasses, dark chocolate, loads of roasted malts and vanilla with coffee and espresso overload start to take shape. this carries over into the flavor which mirrors the heavy maple and brown sugar so perfectly i was simply blown away. each sip was like heaven on earth, a wonderful mix of rich flavors and sweet, decadent dessert like taste. this was more then a beer, this was an expeirence.

overall i really do not know what else i can say, this was quite simply one of the best beers i have ever had. absolutely amazing in every way.

4.94/5  rDev +10.8%

This is a blessing from the beer gods. This one has so much aroma and flavor it's crazy. The name says it all. You get the coffee in the aroma, the maple in the flavor with a little bit of bacon, all topped off with a great malt balance. Only available on draft so if your in the area I suggest you pick it up now.

4.94/5  rDev +10.8%

Huge thanks to UrbanCaver for bringing this to a Jackie O's tasting in May (thanks Cam!). Along with Chocolate Rain this was one of the main events.

Dark brown color, nearly black, extremely dark for a porter. Holy shit does this smell appetizing. So rich, so much maple, also ample amounts of bacon smoke and roasted malts, if this doesn't earn a perfect score on smell then I don't know what does. Coffee too, but honestly I've never tried a beer with such an appealing maple nose.

And it tastes just as good as it smells. Each particular flavor is easily discernable, maple, coffee, roasted malt, smoked meats, everything. This is another perfect 5.

Oily mouthfeel, if anything this only adds to the amazingness that is this beer. It coats and sticks to your tongue, keeping those rich flavors for along aftertaste. Not sure what other praise I can heap on this, an extremely good and flavorful beer that you can drink for a long time given the relatively low ABV. Awesome.

4.93/5  rDev +10.5%

Had at the BA Sexual Chocolate bottle share. It pours an opaque black with aromas of coffee and some smokey bacon and finally some maple as the beer warms up. Taste was truly like breakfast coffee and roast in the middle followed by the smokey flavor and finishing with a sweetness of maple that lingers just long enough to remind you to keep sipping..

4.92/5  rDev +10.3%

On tap at the Jupiter Beerfest. A big tip of the cap to Ryan and Kevin. This was the biggest draw at the event. In fact the mob was actually chanting maple!! bacon!! Mohago pour with very little head. Outrageous maple nose. A little thin in the body, but the taste is fantastic with maple syrup, caramel malt, sweet coffee, and vanilla dominating the palate...

4.92/5  rDev +10.3%

Poured into a snifter, revealing opaque blackish brown body under a finger or so of thick crema head. Pretty lacing. Very dark and serious looking for a porter. Smells like a triple maple latte with a slight salted/smoked essence to it... the bacon? Smoked sea salt caramel? Extra dark chocolate-coated maple toffee/coffee? All of those things.

Tastes sweet and I have to say, probably the closest to sexy I have ever tasted from a beer. Big maple presence of the assertive Grade B variety with a nice raw woodiness underneath. Nice smoked presence, some saltiness and raw chocolate flavors intermingle with a savory layered malt backbone. Finishes clean with a kiss of coffee acidity to cleanse the palate, otherwise the coffee is perfectly integrated. This beer is packed with flavor. Mouthfeel is smooth and a little creamy, a little drying with a medium body in a syrup-evoking sense. Carbonation adds to the creaminess. Very drinkable and packed with flavor for a 6.3% porter.

Overall I am quite impressed. It sounded like one of those beers that puts a bunch of stuff in but falls apart in the process. It's actually really, really well done. Wish I had more.

4.92/5  rDev +10.3%

Trying this for the second time thanks to Urbancaver and it lives up to my memories from DLD. It blew my mind there and it's blowing my mind again.

Nice head, some decent lace and a big aroma of maple, coffee and light smoke. Looks and feels a little thinner than expected, but the taste is phenomenal. Big big maple, nice coffee and a little smoky bacon and all smooth and balanced. This is just crazy fun stuff. Killer stuff.

4.92/5  rDev +10.3%

I think my mouth just had an orgasm made out of chocolate velvet rainbows.

That said, this is the first beer I've ever felt compelled to review, so I may be a rookie at this, but I've got a year or more of eclectic, and, as my local beer distributor can happily attest to, copious, selection of craft ales. I went after this one in particular for two reasons... 1) I love maple syrup (bacon doesn't count as a second reason, because it's a given), and 2) the hype.

I am here to tell you the hype is indeed real.

I was so worried that I'd built it up so far in my head that when I inevitably popped the top, there'd be no way it could stand up to my preconceptions. In fact, I waited a good two weeks after finally snagging a bottle before actually opening it, because I was almost certain there was no way it could stand up to the hype.

The moment I popped that cap it all faded away. The smell was exactly as described in all the best reviews... breakfast in a bottle. Coffee, maple... a touch of maybe cinnamon, deep caramel... (I dunno who has caramel with breakfast, but hey, it's caramel, can't go wrong). Chocolate, omg, the chocolate. Double rainbow chocolate.

When I finally came down after sniffing it like a kindergartner with a fresh bottle of Elmer's, I actually poured it out, only momentarily forgetting you could actually DRINK it and not just bask in the scent. It poured out looking just like it was coming out of a fresh pot of coffee. And I mean just that... it was the same color and appearance of that perfectly brewed pot my mother always makes when the family gets together on holidays, that I can never seem to replicate on my own. I give it less than a 5 only because, based on the style, I expected it to pour a bit thicker. It was actually prettier than I expected, but I'm trying to score to the style, and also looking for reasons not to give it all 5's and completely ruin my credibility heh.

I looked at it for a while, feeling like Indiana Jones eyeing the idol with a sack of sand in one hand, wondering exactly how I was going to take something so enticingly beautiful completely into my possession without something going horribly wrong to muck it all up.

I needn't have worried, there was no giant stone ball... though I was indeed bowled over. Not only did it live up to the hype, it went above and beyond. Because until it actually passed my lips and sent me to a happy place that would put Happy Gilmore's to shame, I really couldn't quite comprehend how amazingly the flavors could complement one another and go beyond to something even better. The chocolate, the caramel... they blend with the coffee to keep the coffee flavor but smoothe out the bitterness... the maple sweetens the pot without the cloying taste I've found in some other maple-kissed ales. The bacon... quite honestly, I can't really say I taste the bacon. There's a certain smokiness that seems to act as a... a... bonding agent? Ecosystem? Je ne sais quois? No idea, but it swirls around the whole thing, permeating each sip, and it seems like it's what holds everything else in place. It's like the lines of sheet music that notes are written on. As it has a smokey taste to it I assume it's the bacon, but its bacon in function, not form, if that makes sense to anyone without a mind as weird as mine.

Anyway, I was downing it about as fast as if it were Tim Powers' Herzwesten Dark and I was a grail king. Before I knew it, I was more than halfway though my glass (one of those Sam Adams Boston Lager jobs) and the initial mouthgasm had fled my senses enough that I could think somewhat straight again and start slowing down to appreciate it on levels below the plainly mystical realm I was floating in.

And so I came here. I'm not a professional beer reviewer... hell, until just now, like I said, I've never reviewed a beer. I've read hundreds of reviews and always boggled at how people are able to put their tasting experiences into descriptive words. And so, this is not that kind of review... there are plenty other reviews in this thread that have it covered better than I could. No, this is just a review from a guy who wanted to let everyone out there wondering if it was worth it, that is is indeed worth it.

So, if anyone out there was considering selling a kidney, or possibly a neighbor's kidney, or hell, even the whole neighbor, in an effort to get their hands on a bottle, growler, thimble, upturned hollow Barbie-doll head, open palm, whatever... that it is COMPLETELY worth it.

Just don't sell an of the sensory organs required to experience this liquid Nirvana.

4.92/5  rDev +10.3%

Pours a beautiful reddish brown. Beautiful pour. Thank you so much Ryan for sending this for us.
Smells incredible. Tons of maple and coffee on the nose. One of the best smelling beers I've ever had!
Tastes sweet maple goodness with tons and tons of coffee not the tongue. A touch of smokiness which is great but subtle. Icredible flavour profile.
Sweet and thick on the tongue. I wish it was a hair thicker but overall one of the best beers I've ever had

4.92/5  rDev +10.3%

Par of the epic tasting at jackie o's with brad and crew

A-nice brown body with a tan head that quickly disapates
S-nice smokiness. Exactly like the name says
T-wow. This is good. Lots of maple but a little bit of bacon. Lives up to the hype
m-medium body and oh so smooth. Damn
O-great beer. Hard to top today even with everything we are opening

4.89/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I've had this beer many times. Sometimes it's much better than others, but when the nail it, it's one of the best beers I've ever had the pleasure to drink!

4.89/5  rDev +9.6%

I had this beer courtesy of Kevin from the Funky Buddha, at the tasting I went to on Sunday. This was an "experimental" batch of the Piiti Porter. The beer was aged on a breakfast coffee that has hints of Bacon, Maple Syrup, and Strong Coffee.
Now I love the standard Piiti Porter, but hot damn this beer is amazing! Honestly, if breakfast in a beer is possible, I think it has finally been accomplished. The guys at the Funky buddha brought home the bacon (pun intended) with this beer.
The upfront taste was one of a standard coffee porter, then the maple syrup flavor comes in, and the leads back to coffee on the finish. Looking for the bacon was a challenge, and it mainly comes across in the nose.
Simply put, This is what breakfast beers should be!

If you are in the area jump on this soon, as from what I understand there is about 10 gallons total. Depending on the response they will brew it again. I have my fingers crossed that they do brew it again!

4.89/5  rDev +9.6%

Breakfast all day long!!! The aroma is smoky and sweet, not too much coffee. The coffee is more in the taste and combined with the maple, you can’t stop drinking it. The body is syrupy and very dark. Make this beer, one of your last beer of the night. This taste will linger for a long time, which is great for people who love breakfast.

4.83/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

I've had this beer many times living so close to the original FB Lounge. As stated in an earlier review, sometimes this beer can be a little off but when it's on it's amazing! The MBCP served at the release party at the brewery on 1/10/15 was the best I've had. The coffee, maple and hint of smoke blended perfectly with just the right amount of hop bite for balance. I went back to the brewery the next night and it was as good as I remembered.

Maple Bacon Coffee Porter from Funky Buddha Brewery