Maple Bacon Coffee Porter - Funky Buddha Brewery

Ratings: 1,238 | Reviews: 191
4.12/5  rDev -8.2%

From tap to pint glass at ChurchKey DC on 6/7/12
*From notes

A: Dark cola brown. The beer is topped with a healthy quarter finger head. A solid tan collar and reasonable lacing follow.

S: This smells just like one of those microwave pancakes that have the syrup already baked in. Huh...who the hell ever thought you could get a beer to smell quite like this? As it warms, I get hints of mild and low key smoke, green and freshly roasted coffee and a little bit of Indian spice, which I've noticed on a lot the FB's brews.

T: Extremely low key. At first, I'm not really into this. Some decent flavor here, sure. But then it happens, as the more I quaff, I quickly realize the amount of complex and balanced flavor is going into such a mild ABV beer. It begins with plenty of maple, yet it's not too sweet over the top. Some hints of smoke and a pinch of curry creep onto the mid, yet it's not overly smokey or spiced. Coffee? It's here toward the finish. It's all expertly balanced and in a nutshell, is really easy to drink while packing a ton of flavor.

M: Ouch. This can't be right. It's disappointingly thin and lacking proper carbonation. A bit oily and fairly light bodied. I'm wondering if this was tapped properly, though I wouldn't be surprised if this batch (like the rest of FB's brews this evening) was simply a bit "off" in the feel department.

O: Another longtime want ticked. God damn was I stoked to get in on this one. I'll honestly say that no, it didn't live up to the insane hype that tends to surround a beer like this. But the more I drank (and I had what...three big glasses?), the more I really began seeing what this mash-up of a beer is all about. You like breakfast? You like beer? Then look no further, as this is really one of the more unique yet quaffable gimmick beers around.

4.44/5  rDev -1.1%

On tap at Churchkey during Savor week, served in a tulip. It arrived pretty close to black in color with a thin, frothy, tan colored head to it.

I immediately get smoky bacon and sweet maple in the aroma. It's got a bit of a breakfast sausage and syrup thing going on. There is a bit of roasty coffee to it along with some chocolate chip pancake notes. The maple and smoke combination is really awesome. Everything really integrates well. The flavors are bold, but don't overpower one another. Smells like an awesome breakfast.

In the taste, more smoky with bacon and sausage come out up front with the maple sweetness more towards the finish. It's also very roasty in finish with good dose of coffee coming out. Again, an awesome breakfast is probably the best way to describe it. Also pretty well balanced for all the bold flavors.

Mouthfeel felt thin and a little watery for the style of beer. Carbonation was on the lower side. I'm not aware if they added any oats to this or not, but a big creamy oatmeal stout mouthfeel would have gone great with this beer in my opinion.

Overall, I thought it was a great tasting and wonderfully unique beer. It was an awesome breakfast in a glass. Everything comes together perfectly in it and I loved the smoke and maple flavors. Wish I could drink this every morning.

4.07/5  rDev -9.4%

I had this on-tap at Churchkey during the Funky Buddha/Cigar City event. Served in a snifter.

Appearance: Pours a dark brown color with a finger of off white head that fades to a ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Smooth coffee roast with some dark chocolate notes. Sweet with some maple and a nutty quality.

Taste: Very smooth with tons of coffee. Nutty and sweet with dark chocolate and some caramel. I'm getting some maple, but it doesn't slap you in the face or anything.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with tingly carbonation and an overly dry finish.

Overall: This is one of the smoothest coffee beers I have ever had. The nuttiness from the coffee and the malt was very nice as well. I didn't feel like the bacon added much. I would love to have another.

4.69/5  rDev +4.5%

From 06/07/12 notes. Had this on tap at Churchkey in Washington, DC. I've had the imperial version and BA version at NOTB/EBF, but never the base beer, so very excited for this one.

a - Pours a very dark brown color with one inch of dark tan head and low carbonation evident.

s - Smells of coffee, sweet maple, roasted malts, light smoke, vanilla, light sweet dark fruits, chocolate. Love the nose; I actually think there is less smoke than the imperial Wide Awake It's Morning version, making this nose even better. Perfect for me, just so well balanced.

t - Tastes of coffee grinds, sweet maple, sugar, roasted malts, coffee, chocolate, vanilla, smoke, burnt malts, sweet fruits. Again, an awesome taste though not quite as balanced as the nose, with the coffee coming through a bit more here.

m - Medium body and low carbonation. Super smooth and creamy, and very easy to drink.

o - Overall, a fantastic beer. I actually like it better than the imperial version due to it having less smoke, and would put it up their with their Morning Wood. The nose is perfect to me; a perfect balance of sweet maple, coffee, and light smoke. Something I could definitely have a few glasses of, and one of the best maple beers out there. Would love to have it again.

On Tap at Hulmeville Inn

A- Maple Bacon Coffee Porter is a black beer, it's pretty black but I've seen blacker, but this is still on the black side. A small skim of foam up top that kinda fades leaving just black.

S- The nose on this killer. It really jumped out at me. Big scents of fresh maple from the source, dark coffee/espresso with roast and some deep rauch type malts resembling bacon, but the bacon scent needs time to come out and some imagination to make it pop out. Very bold.

T- The maple comes out ever so much to excite the palate to the core without the cloying and overabundance of southern tier creme brulee type levels. It integrates nice with the deep roasted coffee flavor with some faint vanilla. The bacon is an afterthought but give it time, it will come to you.

M- Very full on the mouth without having a total heavy body to cause a sipper of a beer.I could sip this or take small gulps without being blown away, except for the flavor which is packed. The carb is light and plays the bench after a while, which works out for the beer IMO.

D- A glass of this is fine, no need for more, like said a sipper or if you want to take it down quicker, the body wont prevent that. One of the better beers I've had all week.

4.44/5  rDev -1.1%

On tap at ChurchKey in DC.

Beer pours black with a medium tan head. The smell on this beer is incredible - it really smells like breakfast as the coffee and maple are both very present and combine in an amazing way. Flavor is also top notch - the coffee really comes through on the front end, and it melds into a fantastic authentic maple syrup finish. The beer does an excellent job of not being too sweet while incorporating a number of different flavors. My only complaint was that I didn't get much of the bacon here. Mouthfeel is the only real knock on this beer, as it was noticeably thinner than a beer like this should be. It took away slightly from the experience, but not so bad. Overall, this is a top-notch, unique beer that absolutely lived up to the hype. It's got probably the best maple flavor I've ever had in a beer and works incredibly well.

4.15/5  rDev -7.6%

Had on-tap at Woody's in Philadelphia, PA. Poured a very dark brown color, almost black with a thin head that receded almost immediately leaving the beer looking somewhat reminiscent of a black coffee. Minimal lacing. Had an aroma of coffee/roasty malts, maple and faint smoke. The coffee aroma was definitely more overpowering than the more subtle smoke/maple. The taste was that of black coffee, maple syrup and slight/faint smoke. As the beer warmed, the smoke and maple came out significantly more to create a more balanced "breakfast in a glass." Medium in body with low/no carbonation. Appropriate for a porter, though the flavors would have been even more enjoyable with a thicker mouthfeel. Overall, a great "concept beer" that was done very well. I would have preferred the maple and smoke to be a bit stronger to match the coffee flavor and balance out the beer a bit but I still enjoyed it as it was. I still think the Last Snow is a better porter, though seemingly not as well known. When you are drinking this beer, make sure you let it come up in temperature as that is when it really shines.

4.77/5  rDev +6.2%

On tap at Hulmeville Inn for the Funky Buddha/Cigar City Philly Beer Week event. I've been waiting a few years to try this beer and almost lost my chance. A very, very busy and stressful few days culminated with me rushing to Hulmeville to get a taste of this elusive brew. The keg kicked as the gentleman in front of me ordered; I felt like I got punched in the gut. Fortunately, the awesome bartender offered me the pour that killed the keg. While I did not get a full beer, I was more than happy to enjoy the half glass of beer and head. Major thanks to the bartender!

Review:

Appearance/Mouthfeel: The beer was dark, the head tan. That's about as far as I'll go since it was the last of the keg. While I can't give in-depth observations, I do not have any complaints from what I saw. Since it was mostly foam in the glass, I didn't get a good feel of the beer. Nothing off putting about the liquid in the bottom: as much carbonation as I'd expect for this style.

Smell: The entire bar smelled of maple syrup. Dipping a nose into the glass, one picks up a tad less coffee, and faint bacon/smoke notes. The maple definitely dominates here.

Taste: Basically a diner breakfast in a glass. Again, strong maple, but the coffee is much more present here than in the nose. Bacon is hard to come by in the taste, but if you concentrate hard you can pick it out. Maybe my tastebuds are shot since I always put maple syrup on my bacon. Think Founders Breakfast Stout with a half shot of maple syrup and a strip of bacon floating in the glass.

Overall: I absolutely loved this beer and I can't wait to have it again. I enjoyed this so much it almost brought a tear to my eye. I had a smile on my face until the glass was empty: it brought up nothing but good feelings and memories. This would be a staple at every single Sunday breakfast (hell, breakfast any day of the week that ends in Y) if I could get my hands on it.

Huge thanks to the awesome bartender at Hulmeville and Funky Buddha for making this happen.

4.37/5  rDev -2.7%

On tap at the Hulmeville Inn 06-04-12

A: Pours black like my soul. Half a finger of off whitehead no lacing.

S: like sunday morning breakfast. Strong maple and coffee with a little smokey Bacon.

T: maple syurp dominates the taste with a little coffee and smoked bacon to finish not to bitter at all.

M: Very smooth very easy to drink.

Overall this is a stellar beer. I dont think I could drink more then 2 because of the maple but totally worth trying. I've never had a maple beer that actually tasted like maple. I highly recommend this beer. Cheers!!!

4.41/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

First had: oddball bottle serving from an old bottle at Pinocchio's, Media, PA (see other review below). This review is for an actual on-tap serving at Woody's, Philly, PA.

This was much different than my sample acquired from the bottle, but strangely enough...I liked the bottle better. On tap, this beer was served in a ball-stem goblet, an opaque brown-black with a small mocha head that receded to a ringlet. I think I can definitely say that this beer's best attribute is the aroma, and in more than one way. Lots of coffee up front, some sweetness, roasty malts, unfortunately not too much in the way of bacon or maple, though the maple comes out more as it warms. As I said in my previous review, the aroma of this beers lingers on whatever it touches, whether it be your glass, your clothes, or your hands, and it not only lingers, but actually seems to get better. Hours later at home, after my wife had washed her hands with Lush soap, we could still smell the maple coffee from the beer. So we sat around and just sniffed her hands for an hour or so. But I digress.

When the beer hit the palate, it came off a bit disappointing in comparison to the aroma, but I think mainly because it wasn't as full-bodied as I expected. Coffee is the dominant factor here, lots of coffee, very roasty, and if there is any bacon or maple (anyone else stutter or perform involuntary spoonerisms when ordering this?) in there, the coffee kind of overpowers them. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but it just doesn't have the balance you'd hope for. Maple comes out more as it warms, just like in the aroma. Bacon is mostly truant. Mouthfeel is heavier than medium, but not quite full.

This is a tasty coffee porter, but definitely not the best out there. It's not even the best porter from Funky Buddha, which IMO is easily the Last Snow.

Thanks go out to Ryan and FB for bringing your great beer to Philly, and also to Bella Vista, Monk's, Capone's, Woody's, Prohibition, Devil's Den, Hulmeville, and any other provider I may have missed.

4.53/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a very deep dark brown, near black, small dark mocha head that faded very quickly, no lacing.

Aroma of strong dark coffee, smoky bacon and sweet maple syrup.

Taste followed the nose with a very strong black coffee bitterness with a smoky bacon balanced with malt, sweet maple syrup and molasses.

Mouth Feel was medium body, light carbonation very slick with a nice balance of bitter and sweet.

Overall this is a very nice porter, just like breakfast in a glass, who needs Starbucks with this beer.

Reviewed from notes.

On-tap at Brewvival.

Pours a dark brown with a dense khaki head. Huge aromas of maple syrup with a nice dose of smokey bacon. Not getting a ton of the coffee in the nose, but I'm loving the maple and bacon. Lots more coffee is apparent in the taste, melding beautifully with the maple and smokey bacon. Smooth and creamy, with a medium body and good carbonation. Just a ridiculous beer that gilds the lily perfectly. I want more!

4.77/5  rDev +6.2%

I'm really not a beer reviewer.

appearance: pitch black, little head that sustains

aroma: first thing that struck me was the maple syrup, pretty strong. then coffee. then a slight hint of bacon.

mouthfeel: has that watery consistency of a light ale. not as syrupy or thick as other porters or stouts.

taste: delicious! it's more of the sweet maple syrup taste that takes about 60% of the taste. you get that coffee taste as well.

overall: lucky to have had this, want more!

4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

Reviewed from notes:

appearance: dark brown with orangish hue, minimal head, oil slick

smell: bacon, maple, coffee, malts

taste: maple syrup, coffee,

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium to full body, oily

overall: a very interesting and complex beer. glad I finally got to try this one.

Cheers,
The CPJ

4.97/5  rDev +10.7%

Appearance: Presents with a fudge brown color capped by a mocha head that leaves a fair amount of lace

Smell: The maple and coffee dominate, with the chocolate and bacon elements underneath

Taste: Black bread, chocolate and coffee flavors, up front, with the bacon adding a subtle element on the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Overall: Lives up to the hype, with all of the flavors presenting in a nicely balanced fashion; just extraordinary and well worth seeking out

4.67/5  rDev +4%

Lucky enough to get 9 oz of this at the Jupiter Craft Beerfest as my wife and sister gave me theirs. Cheers to them!

A – Basically poured out a dark brown/black with no light showing. Half finger of tan head that receded quickly.

S – Wow huge maple smell. Nice and sweet. Strong coffee comes next almost an espresso. Molasses as well.

T – Follows the nose closely. Starts off with a blast of maple sweetness that immediately moved over to a hit of coffee. Strong coffee at that. Has some bitterness but not much. Sweet but not cloying. Touch of smokiness which makes you feel the bacon flavors.

M – Medium body. Light carbonation. Don’t feel the alcohol at all. Coats the palate well.

O – Yes it lives up to the hype. It is a great all around porter. Has all you would expect with the flavors of maple, bacon and of course coffee. It is also remarkably drinkable. Cheers.

3.97/5  rDev -11.6%

A - Pretty dark, almost black. Light tan head, slow to leave, some cling.

S - Used coffee grounds, maple syrup.

T - Porterish, with smell attributes strong in taste. Not much bacon here for me. Something even seems a little corky at the end.

M - Fat, well carbed, coffee predominant, medium body, fair balance.

D - Not all that for so rare and hyped. Still pretty tasty.

3.88/5  rDev -13.6%

Bottle share with Dovalihops (Ryan) and phichifiji00 (Chad)... bottle courtesy of Chad, thanks!

Appearance is dark, not blackhole-ish but dark brown. Low head retention.

Smell is overpowered by coffee aroma. Deep inhales detect maple and bacon on the back end. Not a huge coffee beer fan, but this one was very strong in the aroma. Would've liked it to be more balanced with the other ingredients. Name of beer is Maple Bacon Coffee Porter, in the aroma the coffee is 95%.

Taste is coffee, but not over-the-top or overpowering like the aroma. Get maple, slight bacon - not much though. Not overly sweet, low carb in the solution.

Mouthfeel is medium, not too heavy, slightly silky.

Overall this beer was a unique experience. Lots of coffee, would've liked to have had more bacon and maple. Seems like the maple is hard to bring out in the taste for many beers and this beer is no exception. Would recommend, fun beer, would like to try again. Great beer to share, not a lot of alcohol, wouldn't mind a bit more.

4.54/5  rDev +1.1%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a tulip. Thanks to paulmpapp for bringing this to our tasting.

Appearance: The pour is a fairly dark mahogany color that does not maintain in the edges. The corners are slightly transparent brown and ruby.

Smell: There is a nice amount of smoked malt that fills up the nose. Sweet maple syrup comes through next, with roast coffee coming through at the end. The nose lives up to what this is supposed to be.

Taste: The flavor is sweet up front, with true maple syrup and dark roasted malts. The smoke comes through right away, filling up my nose and resting on the tongue. The malt has a good dark and roasted character that leads well into the coffee bitterness toward the end. The finish has more malt, and some sweet maple lingers into the coffee bitterness at the end.

Mouthfeel: If anything, the body feels a little light compared to the body. The robust flavors deserve a fuller beer. The carbonation is on the light side, and there is a moderate sweet stickiness that sticks on the lips after each sip. Even with the sweetness, the coffee really brings a dry and slightly acrid feel to it.

Overall: This is a great beer; the only thing that could really make it better would be a little bit more carbonation and a bigger body. I am definitely excited to see what the imperial version has to offer.

4.59/5  rDev +2.2%

Thanks to PaulMPap for bringing this one.

Pours out an opaque murky dark brown with light carbonation.

Smell is incredible - bitter coffee opens the nose, but maple syrup wafts out of the glass and fills the room with a breakfasty aroma. A hint of smoke on the end.

Flavor is very impressive - dry bitter coffee, initially, then some smoke, with maple sweetness blended evenly throughout. Chocolate malt also makes an appearance. It's hard to believe this much flavor comes from a porter.

Feel is decent. Medium bodied, could use a bit more carb. There's something a bit fuzzy about the feel.

Fantastic beer. Funky Buddha continues to impress. I wish it was easier to come by.

4.92/5  rDev +9.6%

I think my mouth just had an orgasm made out of chocolate velvet rainbows.

That said, this is the first beer I've ever felt compelled to review, so I may be a rookie at this, but I've got a year or more of eclectic, and, as my local beer distributor can happily attest to, copious, selection of craft ales. I went after this one in particular for two reasons... 1) I love maple syrup (bacon doesn't count as a second reason, because it's a given), and 2) the hype.

I am here to tell you the hype is indeed real.

I was so worried that I'd built it up so far in my head that when I inevitably popped the top, there'd be no way it could stand up to my preconceptions. In fact, I waited a good two weeks after finally snagging a bottle before actually opening it, because I was almost certain there was no way it could stand up to the hype.

The moment I popped that cap it all faded away. The smell was exactly as described in all the best reviews... breakfast in a bottle. Coffee, maple... a touch of maybe cinnamon, deep caramel... (I dunno who has caramel with breakfast, but hey, it's caramel, can't go wrong). Chocolate, omg, the chocolate. Double rainbow chocolate.

When I finally came down after sniffing it like a kindergartner with a fresh bottle of Elmer's, I actually poured it out, only momentarily forgetting you could actually DRINK it and not just bask in the scent. It poured out looking just like it was coming out of a fresh pot of coffee. And I mean just that... it was the same color and appearance of that perfectly brewed pot my mother always makes when the family gets together on holidays, that I can never seem to replicate on my own. I give it less than a 5 only because, based on the style, I expected it to pour a bit thicker. It was actually prettier than I expected, but I'm trying to score to the style, and also looking for reasons not to give it all 5's and completely ruin my credibility heh.

I looked at it for a while, feeling like Indiana Jones eyeing the idol with a sack of sand in one hand, wondering exactly how I was going to take something so enticingly beautiful completely into my possession without something going horribly wrong to muck it all up.

I needn't have worried, there was no giant stone ball... though I was indeed bowled over. Not only did it live up to the hype, it went above and beyond. Because until it actually passed my lips and sent me to a happy place that would put Happy Gilmore's to shame, I really couldn't quite comprehend how amazingly the flavors could complement one another and go beyond to something even better. The chocolate, the caramel... they blend with the coffee to keep the coffee flavor but smoothe out the bitterness... the maple sweetens the pot without the cloying taste I've found in some other maple-kissed ales. The bacon... quite honestly, I can't really say I taste the bacon. There's a certain smokiness that seems to act as a... a... bonding agent? Ecosystem? Je ne sais quois? No idea, but it swirls around the whole thing, permeating each sip, and it seems like it's what holds everything else in place. It's like the lines of sheet music that notes are written on. As it has a smokey taste to it I assume it's the bacon, but its bacon in function, not form, if that makes sense to anyone without a mind as weird as mine.

Anyway, I was downing it about as fast as if it were Tim Powers' Herzwesten Dark and I was a grail king. Before I knew it, I was more than halfway though my glass (one of those Sam Adams Boston Lager jobs) and the initial mouthgasm had fled my senses enough that I could think somewhat straight again and start slowing down to appreciate it on levels below the plainly mystical realm I was floating in.

And so I came here. I'm not a professional beer reviewer... hell, until just now, like I said, I've never reviewed a beer. I've read hundreds of reviews and always boggled at how people are able to put their tasting experiences into descriptive words. And so, this is not that kind of review... there are plenty other reviews in this thread that have it covered better than I could. No, this is just a review from a guy who wanted to let everyone out there wondering if it was worth it, that is is indeed worth it.

So, if anyone out there was considering selling a kidney, or possibly a neighbor's kidney, or hell, even the whole neighbor, in an effort to get their hands on a bottle, growler, thimble, upturned hollow Barbie-doll head, open palm, whatever... that it is COMPLETELY worth it.

Just don't sell an of the sensory organs required to experience this liquid Nirvana.

4.62/5  rDev +2.9%

Pours an extremely dark brown, almost black color with a small white head. In the nose, I immediately get bacon and maple syrup which instantly transition into fresh brewed coffee. Fresh coffee grounds and maple syrup make this one inviting porter. Taste is initially a heavy maple profile, quickly followed by delicious coffee. Best coffee flavors I've ever received from a beer. Lovely complex blend of coffee and maple syrup. Breakfast made perfect. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with smooth finish. Drinkability is very high. Overall, I know this is a bold statement (no pun intended)... But best coffee beer I've ever had.

4.57/5  rDev +1.8%

Poured into tulip glass.

Appearance: Dark brown, almost black, subtle mahogany hue. Pours no head and no lacing.

Smell: Maple at first, then lots of fresh coffee grounds, chocolate, espresso, maybe a hint of bacon.

Taste: Coffee is dominant, espresso, chocolate, subtle saltiness, maple.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, very smooth/creamy. minimal carbonation.

Overall: Wow. This beer totally delivers. Coffee Maple Bacon(Saltiness) all present. Probably the best coffee beer I've ever had.

1.95/5  rDev -56.6%

Guess I need to review this one again...

First off, yes, this did sit in my cellar (and its a real cellar) for like three months before the chances came around to opening it.

A: Nice dark brown with ruby highlights. Good carbonation upon pouring but not much staying power.

S: Smells very much like I remember. Coffee aromas are not as intoxicating, a little more stale perhaps, but still nice. Maple is there just like before. I'd say it was a lot like the fresh growler, only significantly more muted.

T: I almost spit this out. Completely lactic. First sip was shockingly tart. To make matters worse, it still has the deeply roasted coffee flavor, some sweetness from the maple syrup, and the salt presence of bacon. This has soured, and not in a good way. Drainpour, and I hardly ever do this.

M: Much thinner than I remembered. Something is definitely in here destroying this delicious beer.

O: Was not expecting it to live up to last time, but this is in no way what I wanted. At first I tried to pretend that time had not treated this beer weel, after awhile though it became apparent that it had been infected. Too bad, was such a great beer the way it was meant to be...

4.89/5  rDev +8.9%

Breakfast all day long!!! The aroma is smoky and sweet, not too much coffee. The coffee is more in the taste and combined with the maple, you can’t stop drinking it. The body is syrupy and very dark. Make this beer, one of your last beer of the night. This taste will linger for a long time, which is great for people who love breakfast.

Maple Bacon Coffee Porter from Funky Buddha Brewery