Maple Bacon Coffee Porter - Funky Buddha Brewery

Wants: 1,639
Funky Buddha Brewery visit their website
Florida, United States

American Porter |  6.30% ABV

(Beer added by: DosBeerigos on 10-20-2010)
4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

3.25/5  rDev -27.6%

callmemickey, Nov 14, 2011

whartontallboy, Nov 14, 2011
3.9/5  rDev -13.1%

Bottle share with Dovalihops (Ryan) and phichifiji00 (Chad)... bottle courtesy of Chad, thanks!

Appearance is dark, not blackhole-ish but dark brown. Low head retention.

Smell is overpowered by coffee aroma. Deep inhales detect maple and bacon on the back end. Not a huge coffee beer fan, but this one was very strong in the aroma. Would've liked it to be more balanced with the other ingredients. Name of beer is Maple Bacon Coffee Porter, in the aroma the coffee is 95%.

Taste is coffee, but not over-the-top or overpowering like the aroma. Get maple, slight bacon - not much though. Not overly sweet, low carb in the solution.

Mouthfeel is medium, not too heavy, slightly silky.

Overall this beer was a unique experience. Lots of coffee, would've liked to have had more bacon and maple. Seems like the maple is hard to bring out in the taste for many beers and this beer is no exception. Would recommend, fun beer, would like to try again. Great beer to share, not a lot of alcohol, wouldn't mind a bit more.

CenCalMario, Nov 06, 2011
4.53/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a tulip. Thanks to paulmpapp for bringing this to our tasting.

Appearance: The pour is a fairly dark mahogany color that does not maintain in the edges. The corners are slightly transparent brown and ruby.

Smell: There is a nice amount of smoked malt that fills up the nose. Sweet maple syrup comes through next, with roast coffee coming through at the end. The nose lives up to what this is supposed to be.

Taste: The flavor is sweet up front, with true maple syrup and dark roasted malts. The smoke comes through right away, filling up my nose and resting on the tongue. The malt has a good dark and roasted character that leads well into the coffee bitterness toward the end. The finish has more malt, and some sweet maple lingers into the coffee bitterness at the end.

Mouthfeel: If anything, the body feels a little light compared to the body. The robust flavors deserve a fuller beer. The carbonation is on the light side, and there is a moderate sweet stickiness that sticks on the lips after each sip. Even with the sweetness, the coffee really brings a dry and slightly acrid feel to it.

Overall: This is a great beer; the only thing that could really make it better would be a little bit more carbonation and a bigger body. I am definitely excited to see what the imperial version has to offer.

KickInTheChalice, Oct 30, 2011
4.58/5  rDev +2%

Thanks to PaulMPap for bringing this one.

Pours out an opaque murky dark brown with light carbonation.

Smell is incredible - bitter coffee opens the nose, but maple syrup wafts out of the glass and fills the room with a breakfasty aroma. A hint of smoke on the end.

Flavor is very impressive - dry bitter coffee, initially, then some smoke, with maple sweetness blended evenly throughout. Chocolate malt also makes an appearance. It's hard to believe this much flavor comes from a porter.

Feel is decent. Medium bodied, could use a bit more carb. There's something a bit fuzzy about the feel.

Fantastic beer. Funky Buddha continues to impress. I wish it was easier to come by.

readbaron, Oct 30, 2011
4.93/5  rDev +9.8%

I think my mouth just had an orgasm made out of chocolate velvet rainbows.

That said, this is the first beer I've ever felt compelled to review, so I may be a rookie at this, but I've got a year or more of eclectic, and, as my local beer distributor can happily attest to, copious, selection of craft ales. I went after this one in particular for two reasons... 1) I love maple syrup (bacon doesn't count as a second reason, because it's a given), and 2) the hype.

I am here to tell you the hype is indeed real.

I was so worried that I'd built it up so far in my head that when I inevitably popped the top, there'd be no way it could stand up to my preconceptions. In fact, I waited a good two weeks after finally snagging a bottle before actually opening it, because I was almost certain there was no way it could stand up to the hype.

The moment I popped that cap it all faded away. The smell was exactly as described in all the best reviews... breakfast in a bottle. Coffee, maple... a touch of maybe cinnamon, deep caramel... (I dunno who has caramel with breakfast, but hey, it's caramel, can't go wrong). Chocolate, omg, the chocolate. Double rainbow chocolate.

When I finally came down after sniffing it like a kindergartner with a fresh bottle of Elmer's, I actually poured it out, only momentarily forgetting you could actually DRINK it and not just bask in the scent. It poured out looking just like it was coming out of a fresh pot of coffee. And I mean just that... it was the same color and appearance of that perfectly brewed pot my mother always makes when the family gets together on holidays, that I can never seem to replicate on my own. I give it less than a 5 only because, based on the style, I expected it to pour a bit thicker. It was actually prettier than I expected, but I'm trying to score to the style, and also looking for reasons not to give it all 5's and completely ruin my credibility heh.

I looked at it for a while, feeling like Indiana Jones eyeing the idol with a sack of sand in one hand, wondering exactly how I was going to take something so enticingly beautiful completely into my possession without something going horribly wrong to muck it all up.

I needn't have worried, there was no giant stone ball... though I was indeed bowled over. Not only did it live up to the hype, it went above and beyond. Because until it actually passed my lips and sent me to a happy place that would put Happy Gilmore's to shame, I really couldn't quite comprehend how amazingly the flavors could complement one another and go beyond to something even better. The chocolate, the caramel... they blend with the coffee to keep the coffee flavor but smoothe out the bitterness... the maple sweetens the pot without the cloying taste I've found in some other maple-kissed ales. The bacon... quite honestly, I can't really say I taste the bacon. There's a certain smokiness that seems to act as a... a... bonding agent? Ecosystem? Je ne sais quois? No idea, but it swirls around the whole thing, permeating each sip, and it seems like it's what holds everything else in place. It's like the lines of sheet music that notes are written on. As it has a smokey taste to it I assume it's the bacon, but its bacon in function, not form, if that makes sense to anyone without a mind as weird as mine.

Anyway, I was downing it about as fast as if it were Tim Powers' Herzwesten Dark and I was a grail king. Before I knew it, I was more than halfway though my glass (one of those Sam Adams Boston Lager jobs) and the initial mouthgasm had fled my senses enough that I could think somewhat straight again and start slowing down to appreciate it on levels below the plainly mystical realm I was floating in.

And so I came here. I'm not a professional beer reviewer... hell, until just now, like I said, I've never reviewed a beer. I've read hundreds of reviews and always boggled at how people are able to put their tasting experiences into descriptive words. And so, this is not that kind of review... there are plenty other reviews in this thread that have it covered better than I could. No, this is just a review from a guy who wanted to let everyone out there wondering if it was worth it, that is is indeed worth it.

So, if anyone out there was considering selling a kidney, or possibly a neighbor's kidney, or hell, even the whole neighbor, in an effort to get their hands on a bottle, growler, thimble, upturned hollow Barbie-doll head, open palm, whatever... that it is COMPLETELY worth it.

Just don't sell an of the sensory organs required to experience this liquid Nirvana.

MystikCelt, Oct 29, 2011
4.65/5  rDev +3.6%

Pours an extremely dark brown, almost black color with a small white head. In the nose, I immediately get bacon and maple syrup which instantly transition into fresh brewed coffee. Fresh coffee grounds and maple syrup make this one inviting porter. Taste is initially a heavy maple profile, quickly followed by delicious coffee. Best coffee flavors I've ever received from a beer. Lovely complex blend of coffee and maple syrup. Breakfast made perfect. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with smooth finish. Drinkability is very high. Overall, I know this is a bold statement (no pun intended)... But best coffee beer I've ever had.

DovaliHops, Oct 18, 2011
4.55/5  rDev +1.3%

Poured into tulip glass.

Appearance: Dark brown, almost black, subtle mahogany hue. Pours no head and no lacing.

Smell: Maple at first, then lots of fresh coffee grounds, chocolate, espresso, maybe a hint of bacon.

Taste: Coffee is dominant, espresso, chocolate, subtle saltiness, maple.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, very smooth/creamy. minimal carbonation.

Overall: Wow. This beer totally delivers. Coffee Maple Bacon(Saltiness) all present. Probably the best coffee beer I've ever had.

phichifiji00, Oct 17, 2011
1.83/5  rDev -59.2%

Guess I need to review this one again...

First off, yes, this did sit in my cellar (and its a real cellar) for like three months before the chances came around to opening it.

A: Nice dark brown with ruby highlights. Good carbonation upon pouring but not much staying power.

S: Smells very much like I remember. Coffee aromas are not as intoxicating, a little more stale perhaps, but still nice. Maple is there just like before. I'd say it was a lot like the fresh growler, only significantly more muted.

T: I almost spit this out. Completely lactic. First sip was shockingly tart. To make matters worse, it still has the deeply roasted coffee flavor, some sweetness from the maple syrup, and the salt presence of bacon. This has soured, and not in a good way. Drainpour, and I hardly ever do this.

M: Much thinner than I remembered. Something is definitely in here destroying this delicious beer.

O: Was not expecting it to live up to last time, but this is in no way what I wanted. At first I tried to pretend that time had not treated this beer weel, after awhile though it became apparent that it had been infected. Too bad, was such a great beer the way it was meant to be...

Drazzamatazz, Oct 09, 2011
4.9/5  rDev +9.1%

Breakfast all day long!!! The aroma is smoky and sweet, not too much coffee. The coffee is more in the taste and combined with the maple, you can’t stop drinking it. The body is syrupy and very dark. Make this beer, one of your last beer of the night. This taste will linger for a long time, which is great for people who love breakfast.

biggsbowler, Oct 07, 2011
4.47/5  rDev -0.4%

10/21/2011

I was able to drink a pint of this and found that the maple sweetness really limited the drinkability. I felt satiated after 3 ounces. Dropping overall down to 4.

9/18/2011

Bottle shared by a generous Adam, thanks! Snifter.

A: Dark brown with a small beige head that quickly recedes.

S: A blast of maple, which smells amazing. It reminds me of maple syrup. Wow. There's a pervasive roast with a nice earthy coffee profile. A light smokiness wafts from the glass and it does smell a bit like bacon. This is amazing.

T: Earthy coffee with huge maple presence in the flavor. Lightly smoky with a moderate roast. Doesn't match the aroma, but it's undeniably excellent. Dark chocolate is evident. Alcohol is nowhere to be found in the flavor.

M: Upper medium in body with upper moderate carbonation.

Overall: This is awesome. Breakfast in a glass. I didn't expect this to be as good as it sounds, but it is. The maple is really powerful in both the aroma and the flavor but it lacks the sweetness one might expect. Highly recommended.

HopHead84, Sep 19, 2011
4.3/5  rDev -4.2%

32oz. Growler drank the day it arrived thanks to Jay.

Pours a transparent chestnut brown with a toffee colored decent sized head. Above average retention and lacing. A nice looking beer.

Aroma is pretty dominant coffee with also a healthy dose of maple syrup. Its actually weird, one sniff will be all coffee the next sniff is all maple. Eventually as it warmed just the faintest bacon smoke comes through. My only real complaint is the coffee aroma is somewhat stale but not enough to make it terrible.

The coffee dominates the taste more than the aroma. Its still a bit stale and last from beginning to end. The maple flavor comes towards the end and lends a nice perceived sweetness and balances out the coffee bitterness.

Mouthfeel and carbonation is great, even for a semi leaky growler. Pretty velverty smooth and medium thick mouthfeel without lasting a bitterness.

Overall a really great beer with more maple flavor than I've ever had in a beer.

weatherdog, Aug 26, 2011
4.35/5  rDev -3.1%

On tap at the lounge.

Darkest deepest brown, black. The dark atmosphere of the lounge (badass place) didnt help to show any other hues. Little khaki head up top when I got it, falls down to nothing over a minute. Mild amount of lacing as consumed.

The nose is a huge mix of coffee maple, & molasses. I zoned in to find the smoked/roasted aroma & found it. But the two dominant players here are the coffee & maple for sure.

Taste follows the nose. Very sweet beer! "Wow" is all I remember thinking when I smelled & tasted this. "How the hell did they get those flavors in a porter?!?!?" Roast coffee up front & very sweet molasses on the back end.

I would say this is on the thicker side (7/10), but not too bad. Just very sweet! Definitely found this to be more of a dessert beer than something I could finish a few pints of.

One thing is for sure - this is a very unique & delicious beer. Is it worth all the hype & praise? In my opinion, no. But that is just my opinion. All in all, its a great American Porter & pushes the boundaries for what a "beer" can bring to the table. Hats off to the Funky Buddha for helping to open pandoras box in the brewing world.

hoptualBrew, Aug 12, 2011
4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

Tried a snifter of this at the Funky Buddha. Was poured a very full glass with almost no head (not complaining about a big pour). Spilled a little on my fingers, which smelled like maple for the next 4 days. Kind of weird. Heavy maple aroma and flavor with roasted coffee up front transitioning to very heavy coffee flavor on the back end. Did not sense anything from the bacon. Light but pleasant mouth feel - helped to balance the distinct flavors. Very drinkable, but you better like the flavors.

Delraypete, Aug 08, 2011
4.15/5  rDev -7.6%

Bottle: Dark pour with a thin beige head. Aroma is cured meat, coffee, and roast. MApel upfront with a healthly dose of coffee and smoke. Dry lingering smokey maple-y finish very nice
 I have had this in growler form before the hype train. Both times this was an exceptional beer.

ucusty, Jul 27, 2011
4.22/5  rDev -6%

Had this on tap at the Florida Brewers Guild Beer Fest this past March in Ybor City and again at CCB's Hunahpu Release Party.

A - Pours dark brown, almost black with a reddish hue when held up to the light. A finger width tan head is persistent throughout with spotty lacing that clings to the glass.

S - The initial aroma is a double shot of espresso, followed by the sweet aroma of pure maple syrup and then some dark chocolate rounding out the nose.

T - The nose was a great indicator of just what this beer was going to taste like. Again, coffee up front, followed by some sweet malt, sugary maple syrup and just a very small hint of smoke on the back end.

M - Medium bodied with light carbonation. No alcohol warmth was present...very nicely balanced.

O - My initial hopes before even trying this beer was for a pronounced bacon / smokiness profile, but it really wasn't there the way I had imagined. All in all, this is still one very tasty Porter and one that I will actively seek out any chance I get.

Jefe73, Jul 15, 2011
4.93/5  rDev +9.8%

On tap at the Jupiter Beerfest. A big tip of the cap to Ryan and Kevin. This was the biggest draw at the event. In fact the mob was actually chanting maple!! bacon!! Mohago pour with very little head. Outrageous maple nose. A little thin in the body, but the taste is fantastic with maple syrup, caramel malt, sweet coffee, and vanilla dominating the palate...

dboon, Jul 07, 2011
4.47/5  rDev -0.4%

Finally decided to open this one and give it a whirl with some friends.

As I opened the bottle I was compelled to stick my nose in it out of intrigue. Wow, big whiffs of Aunt Jemima maple syrup and strong black coffee immediately.

poured into a couple of 4oz taster glasses. Medium bodied consistency, small amounts of head and lacing. Root beer brown in color.

Took another hit of the smell from the glass, More maple, bolder coffee and now hints of smokiness, (bacon?) I could tell this will amazing when it warms a little.

The taste was surprising. Love the maple presence but the bold coffee flavor added a slight bitterness. The smokiness was less present in the taste but balanced well with the coffee and maple. All of these flavors were enhanced as the temp increased. Mouthfeel was a little thin but very pleasing.

I really enjoyed this unique brew as did my friends. I'm sad to look at the now empty bottle and hope to land another some day. Definitely recommend it.

Siggy125, Jul 04, 2011
4.2/5  rDev -6.5%

Got this in a trade from a generous BA. Brought to a tasting at BeerThursdays residence.

From notes:

Aroma was a very strong maple syrup. Smells sweet. Not much somkeyness. Faint coffee scent.

Tastes was damn good. Not quite breakfast in a bottle, but awfully close. Coffee, chocolate, maple syrup. Again, not as smokey as I had expected, but don't think that's really a bad thing. Just expected a stronger presence with bacon in the name. I was thinking more Rauchbier.

Mouthfeel was rich and thick, coats along the way down.

Overall I really enjoyed this one. Only request would be a little more heat. Maybe raise the abv to 8%. This one was hard to get a hold of, but I'm hoping another opportunity pops up

pwoody11, Jun 28, 2011
4.95/5  rDev +10.2%

Huge thanks to UrbanCaver for bringing this to a Jackie O's tasting in May (thanks Cam!). Along with Chocolate Rain this was one of the main events.

Dark brown color, nearly black, extremely dark for a porter. Holy shit does this smell appetizing. So rich, so much maple, also ample amounts of bacon smoke and roasted malts, if this doesn't earn a perfect score on smell then I don't know what does. Coffee too, but honestly I've never tried a beer with such an appealing maple nose.

And it tastes just as good as it smells. Each particular flavor is easily discernable, maple, coffee, roasted malt, smoked meats, everything. This is another perfect 5.

Oily mouthfeel, if anything this only adds to the amazingness that is this beer. It coats and sticks to your tongue, keeping those rich flavors for along aftertaste. Not sure what other praise I can heap on this, an extremely good and flavorful beer that you can drink for a long time given the relatively low ABV. Awesome.

TurdFurgison, Jun 20, 2011
4.43/5  rDev -1.3%

22oz bottle from a kind trader - thanks for the swap! Poured into my snifter and sampled over the course of an hour and a half. This beer has a myriad of flavors and opens up well, with a nice evolution across the tasting experience.

Things start off well, with a dark brown, almost black colored beer sitting in the glass. There's a bit of light passing through on the edges but the center is pretty opaque. The beer features an off white head but that subsides too quickly leaving just a bit of lace in its wake.

My first impression of the smell is that this is certainly unique, almost odd but pleasant and cool. The dominant note is a fresh coffee smell
that's dripping with maple sweetness. There's more sweet maple than in any beer I've ever had. Couple that with a hint of fruitiness and a touch of smoke and you get a beer that truly stands out. That is to say this beer is unique (but unfortunately not jaw-droppingly amazing) but the nicely expressive notes of the elements the name promised assures this beer a score better than just good!

The taste throws me off for a second. I instantly get a sweet cola syrup or a sweet berry or prune note that just seems out of place. Just as I notice this oddity, the maple explodes with sweetness, creating a taste that is simply the best defined maple ever in a beer. A touch of coffee and smoke at the end round out one of the most unique beers ever.

The mouthfeel wasn't as strong as the flavor and smell, but still was pleasant. The beer is a touch thin and sticky but nice carb keeps things moving along. The viscosity is OK for a porter but a breakfast beer could use some heft. Overall, I liked this beer a lot but didn't think it was deserving of the insane hype. Unique for sure, but nothing like the experience of my first Founders Breakfast Stout.

jampics2, Jun 08, 2011