1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Wide Awake It's Morning - Funky Buddha Brewery

Wide Awake It's MorningWide Awake It's Morning

Funky Buddha Brewery visit their website
Florida, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

Imperial Maple Bacon Coffee Stout

(Beer added by: Habmike on 04-01-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 111 | Reviews: 48 | Show All Ratings:
MRL731

4.75/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Do you like breakfast? Do you like beer? Well.. you're gonna love this beer then

A: dark as night, nice head with lacing

S: like a million bucks. lots of coffee, maple syrup

T: first you get coffee, then sweet maple syrup and then somewhere in there is some slight salt of bacon and finish with some coffee again

M: A tad thin but more than ok

Overall: I beg for more every day

08-26-2013 23:25:35 | More by MRL731
KickInTheChalice

4.48/5  rDev +0.9%

From notes. Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a snifter. This bottle is about a year old.

Wide Awake pours a dark brown mahogany color with almost no head formation on the initial pour.

The aroma still jumps out of the glass. Bursts of espresso, sweet maple syrup, smoke, and vanilla all come through. With the age of the bottle I would not be surprised if the coffee smelled even better fresh, but it still smells incredible. Each whiff unveils a little bit more complexity. This is definitely a winner.

The flavor is huge. There coffee flavor manifests itself in the beginning of the sip, with what seems to be a few different types of exquisite espresso. Sweetness runs rampant with maple syrup flavors coming through during each part of the sip, with a little bit of vanilla as well. A thorough smoked malt flavor comes through representing the bacon. There is no concern of it being too smokey, a fear I often have with beers that use smoked malts. What is truly amazing is how each sip provides a new angle on the combination of coffee, maple syrup, and smoke. Each flavor develops more thoroughly with each sip, making this a glass that never gets boring.

Each sip is truly a full bodied treat. It is so thick and viscous, with a light and creamy carbonation. It is definitely sweet, sticky, and syrupy, and more than a little over the top.

This beer impressed me even more than the Maple Bacon Coffee Porter, which is saying something. I would love to have a fresh bottle to compare.

07-02-2013 02:41:00 | More by KickInTheChalice
travisdiener32

came to funky buddha on a Wednesday for my weekly happy hour. When I asked what was being released next the bartender said, well tomorrow we'll be doing maple bacon coffee porter. I was ecstatic, except he was wrong. Instead it was imperial mbcp, wide awake.

Served in 8oz portion in a snifter. Pours a deep dark, jet black with A plentiful brown head. Smell is ridiculous, overwhelming coffee, coffee, for days with rich malts and chocolate following. Taste is smooth malty coffee with no bite, it oozes down the throat. as it warms the maple becomes apparent, with little bacon to speak of. after the first sip, the taste lingers and candied bacon flavors are throughout my mouth. Mouthfeel is not syrupy or thick, but medium to full, a crazily drinkable 10.5 abv.

Overall this is like Christmas morning for adults. Funky Buddha is on track to do big big things when they go into full scale production in 2013

11-09-2012 02:44:05 | More by travisdiener32
Alieniloquium

3.98/5  rDev -10.4%

On-tap at the Funky Buddha's 2nd Anniversary Party. Poured into an FB snifter.

Appearance - Black without being inky. Small khaki head. Wispy and a little sticky.

Smell - Intense coffee without ever being acidic. It rounds itself out with a touch of maple and some smokiness that mellows the coffee into an earthiness that is quite pleasant. A little over the top at first, but the full nose is quite nice.

Taste - Like the nose, the coffee is intense and almost astringent. The acidity of it is just a little too much at first. The roasted malts mellow it, surprisingly, and give it a nice touch of smoke in the end. The maple is barely a hint, if I can even detect it at all. It just seems to be there as something that keeps it drinkably sweet at such a high ABV and coffee content.

Mouthfeel - The coffee intense and maybe a little too intense. The rest of the beer drinks nicely, especially for 11.5%, which is how FB listed it on the board. Medium bodied. Nicely balanced except for the coffee.

Overall - A really nice beer without being exceptional in any way. The way the coffee character blends with the smoked malts is its best characteristic.

09-30-2012 04:17:10 | More by Alieniloquium
xnicknj

4.53/5  rDev +2%

on tap at EBF

Pours a clouded nutty brown color with a crop of tanned head on top. Retains nicely on top of the pour, leaving patches of lacing behind.

Powerful, aromatic nose with rich maple syrup, chocolate and touches of smoke. Coffee beans and roasty malts with a touch of booze and sweetness.

Rich and smooth up front with coffee and maple syrup. Heavy malt backbone followed by edges of smoke and bacon-like flavors. Some vanilla tones with chocolate. Nutty and roasty with some alcohol warmth.

Full bodied, milder carbonation, insanely creamy and soft on the tongue. This one just lives up to the hype, there's no two ways about it.

02-11-2012 15:56:41 | More by xnicknj
oline73

Maryland

4.78/5  rDev +7.7%

I was lucky enough to try this on-tap at the EBF.

Appearance: Pours a dark brown with a layer of thick, smooth tan head thad fades to a ring around the edge of the glass and leaves some lacing.

Smell: This beer is more roast forward than the Morning Wood. Still some sweet maple, but this one is milder. I'm picking up some smooth, nutty coffee.

Taste: I can pick up a hint of bacon in this beer, it's a very welcome flavor. The maple is a bit more subdued than the barrel aged version. Roasty and sweet with a nice amount of maple blending with everything else.

Mouthfeel: Thick body with smooth carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: I enjoyed this slightly more than the barrel aged version. This one seems to allow the bacon to show up and not just highlight the maple and coffee. I would love to have another.

02-10-2012 21:39:29 | More by oline73
mdfb79

4.47/5  rDev +0.7%

From 02/03/12 notes. Had on tap at EBF up in Boston, MA.

a - Pours a dark brown, almost black color, with one inch of dark tan head and light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of coffee, roasted malts, smokey malts, sweet sugar and dark fruits, dark chocolate, and light vanilla or cream. Really nice.

t - Tastes of coffee, smokey malts, roasted malts, brown sugar, sweet dark fruits, chocolate, toasted malts, and vanilla. A tiny bit more smoke then the nose.

m - Medium to full body and low carbonation. Thick body, very nice.

o - Overall a really great beer, though not as good as the BA version (Morning Wood). This vversion is smokier, and not quite as smooth. Still great and worth checking out.

02-10-2012 01:53:17 | More by mdfb79
jlindros

4.55/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Keg at EBF.

Very dark pretty much pitch black, slightest hints of light on the corners, light creamy head.

Nose fresh espresso, roasted coffee, light maple, hint smoke, chalky cocoa, dark malts.

Taste chocolate, fresh espresso brewed coffee, dark choc, creamy oats, light maple, slight hint of smoked bacon like, a bit of caramel and toffee, some bitterness from light earthy hops and the roasted malts, just the slightest hint of booze. Finish is long and a bit more bitter but not very bitter at all, tons more espresso and chocolate.

Mouth is rich and a bit creamy, full bodied, decent carb.

Overall wow, this beer is awesome. I really wish we could get it up here in MA.

02-07-2012 17:58:09 | More by jlindros
Knapp85

4.4/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer poured out as a really nice black color with a tan head that stuck around for a while. The smell of the beer was very sweet, rich and slightly smokey. The taste of the beer was sweet, roasted, maple and caramel flavors with some wood and smoke along with vanilla and coffee. An absolute cluster of flavors in this brew. The mouthfeel was heavy and had a medium carbonation to it. Overall this was special for sure. I would love to have more of this someday. I've found myself craving more Funky Buddha since the EBF ended. Looks like I may be going to Florida sometime in the near future.

02-07-2012 05:58:20 | More by Knapp85
kingcrowing

Vermont

4.63/5  rDev +4.3%

On tap poured into a sampling glass at Extreme Beer Fest 2012. Much of this will carry over from my Morning Wood review but this was still a stand out of the fest.

Pours a black-as-night color with a small dark brown head that is fine and just clings everywhere in your glass. Nose is still utterly amazing for a coffee lover like me, the coffee is slightly more pronounced and less mellow but still amazing.

Taste follows the nose, more coffee, a bit more acidic but then again coffee is acidic so no real surprise. Maple is still present and delicious. Overall this is an awesome candidate for barrel aging but it's nearly as good off steel.

02-05-2012 13:47:34 | More by kingcrowing
scottyshades

4.97/5  rDev +11.9%

Original batch, kindly poured by the man himself into a FB snifter

A: Pours a big syrupy black color with a small khaki colored head. Retention isn't great, but with a high ABV it still looks evil

S: Damn, tons of sweet maple, coffee, and some burnt bacon. Simply amazing. The maple adds a whole new dimension to this beer that I never thought was possible

T: Much more balanced and refined that I expected. The bacon is less noticeable in the flavor, but the maple adds a pleasant flavor and balances the dark roast coffee. Thick body and dangerously drinkable. Not too much hop presence, but then again, that's not what you would want in a beer like this.

MF: Thick and chewy feel to it, sweet maple/coffee finish, low-medium carbonation. Alcohol is not detectable.

O: Overall, this is an amazing beer worthy of its hype. I have not had but one chance to get to FB since I am at school in SC since they have become a world-class brewery, but I will definitely make the effort now. Great job Funky Buddha!

01-16-2012 20:07:47 | More by scottyshades
myspoonistoobig

4.6/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to Jason for sharing this one with me.

Bottle #27

Pours very dark, with a viscous, dark tan half-finger head that dissipates after 30 seconds or so.

This is easily among the best smelling beers I've encountered. Not to take away from the beer in any way, but the only way to describe it is like a McGriddle in a glass. It's amazing. My girlfriend commented when she came home (while we were drinking this) and said the whole house smelled great, like a pancake house. I'd give this 6/5 if I could.

Taste gets a 4.5 only because it doesn't match how great it smelled. The maple is there in force along with the coffee and a twinge of bacon at the end. Very delicious, but just not as well-harmonized as I'd like.

Mouthfeel is nice, low carbonation, low heat (especially considering the abv) and nice and dry.

Overall this was the most interesting beer of the night, and of recent memory. Extremely grateful for the opportunity to taste it and can only hope that it becomes less impossible to have in the future.

01-13-2012 20:40:14 | More by myspoonistoobig
islandboi8204

Hawaii

4.8/5  rDev +8.1%

Bottle 24/50, dated 6/26/2011.

Pours black without any head, even with a vigorous pour.

Wow, smells incredible. Huge maple syrup, and dark roast coffee with smokiness. My tasting partner notes offal/bacon. A little chocolate, cream, a touch of fruit/jam, and roasted malts. The aroma filled the room once I opened it. Unbelievable stuff.

Tastes of sweet maple combined with chocolate and a ton of dark roast coffee. Light bacon smoke as well. The first taste was very sweet, but the more I sip it the less sweet it is, and definitely not as sweet as the aroma suggests. Really delicious and drinkable. Alcohol is well hidden, leaves my mouth dry.

Medium to full body with moderate carbonation for the style. Doesn't make it feel too syrupy, smooth mouthfeel.

Overall, very impressive beer. So much complexity to the nose and taste. I was worried I held onto it too long and the flavors would fade, but they are still going strong.

12-19-2011 03:46:24 | More by islandboi8204
afksports

4.78/5  rDev +7.7%

Wide awake is an incredible brew. Rosy brown and dark with no head, beautiful smell, maple and alcohol but mostly strong coffee. Super roasty, lovely smooth taste, sugar, like hazelnut coffee with maple instead.

Smooth and creamy, big on the mouth, clean finish that is perfect about 4 ounces. Thanks Karl, thanks Mike, and thanks Al for the treat. Absolutely excellent. Trumps CBS.

12-10-2011 23:38:52 | More by afksports
spdyfire83

Ireland

3.55/5  rDev -20%

43rd Review
Bottle to snifter.
Bottle 29/50

From notes. Shared at the DL Variant + Others Tasting in Chicago back in October. Thanks to dimenhetfield for the trade.

A: Deep chocolate brown. Barely 0.5 fingernail (tan) head on vigorous pour.

S: Initially, I cannot decide if I like this or hate it. Obviously it would be unfair to judge a beer on smell alone; however, this is quite unique...smokey, maple syrup, espresso, dark chocolate, brown sugar, and pancakes. Just kidding – there were no pancakes on the nose of this beer, but that’s what it makes me think of...a big burly breakfast. I cannot find the bacon in the smell, but am hopeful that comes later.

T: Complex. Very complex. Sweet and roasty. Rich. Up-front you get strong coffee notes intertwined with sweet malt and maple syrup. Bacon comes thru solo (mid-palate) and this is quite an interesting flavor for the beer. Finished off with a hint of caramel and vanilla which I thought was nice.

M: Full bodied and almost no carbonation. Potent after-taste that almost ruined the experience for me, but I can look past it.

O: This was a very unique beer to have at such a large tasting. Initially, I thought the beer might be off based on reactions from the crowd; however, once I "jumped into the beer", it was just really, really complex. The complexity actually amazes me; however, IMO it almost takes away from the actual point of the beer. Obviously there is a fine line between good and bad, but this one tip-toes the hanging wire. I had fun with this one though and tried to enjoy the experience as much as possible. As mentioned above, I would to take down a huge plate of breakfast with this beer. It is bold and big (a lot going on), but nothing that I would seek out going forward. Curious to see how the regular Maple Bacon Coffee Porter tastes in comparison to this, but my interest stops there.

Simply put...fun to try!

12-05-2011 14:19:17 | More by spdyfire83
exitmusic00

Oregon

1.5/5  rDev -66.2%

Big thanks to spdyfire83 for bringing this to the table! 22oz bottle poured into a tulip...

Appearance: pours a dark, opaque brown. The thin head is gone quick. Virtually no lacing. Carbonation is fitting for a porter (this is a porter, right?!).

Aroma: This bottle had been cracked and was being passed around when I came back from a glass rinse...the maple had already infiltrated the entire room upon my return. I like maple, so now I'm excited! But then I get my pour, and the game changes dramatically. Despite the fact that I can still smell maple in the room, I get virtually none when I really get into my pour. I get the coffee and some smoke, but what dominates is this weird fucking vegetable smell. I've read reviews mentioning this but I'd never experienced it, so I just thought al those reviewers were daft. But here it is, and it overwhelmed the beer. Cooked celery, and maybe some bell pepper (?) were my associations. Seriously, the smell killed my beer boner most heinously.

Taste: Wow...gross. Acrid cheap coffee, some smoke characteristics. Overwhelmingly bitter. I only taste maple when I exhale after a sip. And then it gets worse...the aftertaste is unholy and punishing - it just doesn't stop sucking, it's amazing! It tastes like raw celery, and it lingers longer than a vegan fart.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation and body are appropriate for the style, but it's past the point of mattering.

Overall: I'm excited I had a chance to try this one, and I respect what the brewers are going for...but my experience with it was disappointing and unpleasant.

10-30-2011 20:58:13 | More by exitmusic00
bobbypaulson

4.88/5  rDev +9.9%

BIG THANKS To darkguardian for this one!!!22oz bomber bottle number 6 of 50. I was torn whether or not to open this bad boy right away or to sit on it for a special occasion. After some comments I decided to open it last night. Man am I glad I did. The second I opened the bottle the maple syrup and coffee smell filled the room. I was a little worried after all the hype that I was gonna get a bad bottle but the inital smell is all good. I poured it into a darkness snifter and it poured black with some brown head that went away very fast. The smell is of roasted coffee and maple with some smokeyness. The taste is great alot smoother than I thought it was gonna be it's like breakfast in a beer. Mouthfeel could be a little thicker in my opinion(if you wanna split hairs). This beer was a little bittersweet because it was such an amazing beer and I wish I could have share it with someone, but I'm also happy I got the whole bottle to myself (minus a couple sips for my wife). After all was said and done my hands still reeked of maple syrup and my wife said my breath stank of dark coffee. ALL AROUND AN AMAZING BEER!!!! TOTALLY LIVED UP TO THE HYPE!!!

10-29-2011 23:07:36 | More by bobbypaulson
HopHead84

4.58/5  rDev +3.2%

10/23/2011

Big thanks for hooking me up with this want. The label says -3/50.

A: Black with a finger of light brown foam. Decent retention.

S: Huge maple and black coffee aroma with a light bacon smokiness. There's a little chocolate and earth, as well as moderately roasted malt. Exceptional nose. The maple is really great. An imperial breakfast in a glass.

T: Sweet maple blends with chocolate and a robust earthy coffee profile. Light bacon smoke and moderately roasted malt. Not as sweet as the aroma suggests, and not as sweet as MBCP. Really nice. Alcohol is really well hidden, I wouldn't guess this is over 6%.

M: Full body with upper moderate carbonation. The mouthfeel sticky and smooth.

Overall: Impressive stuff. More drinkable than the Maple Bacon Coffee Porter. Perhaps that's the age mellowing out the maple.

10-24-2011 03:15:08 | More by HopHead84
iadler

3.25/5  rDev -26.8%

Courtesy of the generous spdyfire83. Another whale I never thought I would try. Poured into a snifter.

A- Pours a dark brown with a thin head that dissipates into a thin cap. No lacing left behind.

S- Wow really intense bacon, vegetables..perhaps bell peppers? maple syrup, coffee grounds, dark chocolate, tobacco, roasted malt and some smokiness.

T- Meaty with bacon and sausage, sweet maple syrup, burnt caramel, old coffee grounds, tobacco, chocolate, roasted and smoked malt.

M- Medium carbonation and body. Finishes dry and bitter with some coffee grounds. The abv is hidden well.

O- This was just an intense beer with too much going on. Lot's of burnt coffee and smoke that reminded me of drinking cheap coffee at a diner. Overall, I admire their creativity, but I just don't think it was executed well.

10-11-2011 02:21:28 | More by iadler
Florida9

3.45/5  rDev -22.3%

A: Slightly translucent dark brown. No head. No lacing.

S: Absolutely intense aroma of the exact ingredients listed in the name. The intensity of the aroma is almost unbelievable. Huge scents of sweet maple syrup, strong coffee, smoky bacon, and some lighter chocolate notes, all fighting for supremacy in my nose.

T: Tastes of chocolate and coffee with smoke in the background. Long lingering flavor of burnt coffee. Burnt caramel on the finish, but then comes along a light maple sweetness.

M: Medium bodied with light carbonation. Sweet with a smoky tannic ashtray bitterness.

O: It's rare that a beer makes me ask the age old question: WTF?, but this oddity did. It's certainly a unique beer that tastes and smells exactly as advertised on the label. Like breakfast in a blender. And while I do enjoy maple, bacon, and coffee, I'm not 100% convinced they all need to make an appearance in my beer to be appreciated.

10-11-2011 02:10:10 | More by Florida9
aasher

Indiana

4.25/5  rDev -4.3%

Bottle #34 of 50, courtesy of thagr81us during the South Carolina tasting. Whalish figure.

This one pours a near lifeless black, medium I'm body. Right off the bat you get hit in the face with aromas of maple syrup pancakes, smoked sausage, coffee, vanilla, and sweet chocolates. Crazy nose and very strong. You can smell it from ten feet away. The flavors are a nice mix of maple syrup drenched breakfast sausages, chocolate, vanilla beans, and light coffee. While very good, I may soon be Diabetic. The sugar is out of this world. It's drinkable but only at maybe half a bottle at a time. I can't take that much sugar. Very nice beer though and definitely unique. To think that a beer can accomplish such a complex nose is mind boggling. Great beer and excellent beer to tick.

09-24-2011 23:11:18 | More by aasher
callmemickey

3.53/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Dark black-brown body. Just a thin, but well defined, ring of khaki foam. Spotty sudsy lacing.

S: Maple syrup and burnt coffee. A bit of smoke and roast. Not particularly inviting or well developed.

T: Like the nose, coffee (both roasted and burnt) takes center stage. A bit of smoked malts, maple syrup, brown sugar, and chocolate.

M: Fairly thin for as much malt in the flavor. A weak, sloppy finish. Slightly over carbonated.

O: Eh, I just didn't get the appeal of this. I didn't get any bacon... and the smoke and coffee was rather boring. Give me Mikkeller's beer geek bacon anyday.

09-09-2011 15:56:54 | More by callmemickey
rudylaw

4.58/5  rDev +3.2%

Pours black with a tan head. Looks the look for a coffee porter. No surprises there.

This beer smells just as good as any beer I've ever had. Coffee beans, bacon and slight notes of smoke. It immediately makes me crave pancakes. Just incredible.

I get a ton of maple in the taste. There is also plenty of black coffee but the bacon takes a back seat. Perhaps a little on the back end. All of the ingredients are in concert. Medium body with low, albeit, perfect carbonation.

The beer was quite impressive. It was a perfect choice for the first hints of Autumn and would love the opportunity to revisit in the future.

09-07-2011 11:20:12 | More by rudylaw
SpeedwayJim

3.53/5  rDev -20.5%

22oz. Capped bomber into a TJ's snifter. Thanks to CarbonIS for this one. Had at a tasting 9/4/11.

Black color. Ring of light mocha head with moderate retention. Spotty and sparse lace with very little cling.

Big coffee notes with some Chinese medicinal notes in the background. Some slight hints of maple in the background. No bacon. Strange. Very aromatic though.

Maple opening. Coffee notes towards the middle with chocolate and fudge. Bacon comes in sweet. More maple and coffee with some milky notes. Finish is sweet and slightly smoky. Aftertaste is more smoke and coffee bean bitterness. Not bad, but not great either.

Medium to full bodied and near flat. Smooth and oily in the mouth and smooth and viscous going down. Finish is messy with a lingering aftertaste. Good.

This is pretty much a novelty beer in my opinion. Very different than anything else I’ve ever had from the style but that doesn’t mean that it’s particularly good. After about the 3rd or 4th ounce, my palate had had enough. Decent, but forgettable.

09-05-2011 22:34:00 | More by SpeedwayJim
alcstradamus

Washington

4.28/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Standard imperial stout looking pour

Aroma is dominated by cappuccino and pancacke syrup. Very nice.

The flavor is very smooth, lots of chocolate and fresh brewed cappuccino. Pancake sweetness from the maple. Very light smokiness. Overall an impressive tasting beer for sure.

The body is nearly full and there is a nice creaminess.

Overall this beer is more impressive than it is drinkable for me. After a few ounces I am not really wanting more despite the great flavor. Seems to be a common story for imperial stouts lately.

08-29-2011 01:17:41 | More by alcstradamus