Wide Awake It's Morning - Funky Buddha Brewery

Florida, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

Beer added by: Habmike on 04-01-2011

Imperial Maple Bacon Coffee Stout

came to funky buddha on a Wednesday for my weekly happy hour. When I asked what was being released next the bartender said, well tomorrow we'll be doing maple bacon coffee porter. I was ecstatic, except he was wrong. Instead it was imperial mbcp, wide awake.

Served in 8oz portion in a snifter. Pours a deep dark, jet black with A plentiful brown head. Smell is ridiculous, overwhelming coffee, coffee, for days with rich malts and chocolate following. Taste is smooth malty coffee with no bite, it oozes down the throat. as it warms the maple becomes apparent, with little bacon to speak of. after the first sip, the taste lingers and candied bacon flavors are throughout my mouth. Mouthfeel is not syrupy or thick, but medium to full, a crazily drinkable 10.5 abv.

Overall this is like Christmas morning for adults. Funky Buddha is on track to do big big things when they go into full scale production in 2013

Drank on tap at Olde Magoun's Saloon, Somerville, MA
Served in a snifter

Near pitch black appearance. The ultra viscous, oily liquid was topped by a one-finger tall, super tight and frothy, saddle brown crown. Outstanding retention. The head slowly dropped to a lasting cap of foam and deposited copious amounts of streaky lacing along the glass.

The aroma was outstanding and could be detected several feet from the glass. Maple notes were in full effect. Warm maple syrup drizzled pancakes came to mind. Loads of brown sugar and caramel. Intense vanilla bean. Slightly roasty. Freshly brewed coffee was noticeable as well. Hint of dark chocolate.

Like the nose, the flavor profile was spectacular. Once again, maple notes dominated. Super sweet but not cloyingly so. Ultra rich and robust. Boatloads of dark malts and brown sugar notes. Dark roast coffee came through strong in the center. The beer was moderately roasty on the back end and the finish. Coffee grounds were noticeable. A touch of piney hops appeared as well.

The mouthfeel was ridiculously creamy and viscous. Almost milk shake-like. The liquid contained a super fine, moderate effervescence that helped the beer glide across my palate.

Funky Buddha makes a number of insanely flavorful and creative beers, but Wide Awake It's Morning definitely takes the prize. Although I got no bacon in either the nose or the flavor profile, this beer was still mesmerizing. Furthermore, at nearly 11% ABV, it drank like a dream. As far as breakfast stouts go, this one simply cannot be beat.

This is a perfect beer. So smooth. Smoky bacon deliciousness. My hand was sticky from the maple - like when one eats pancakes. Probably the best coffee flavor I've ever tasted in a beer. And the alcohol is barely noticeable. Amazing!

From a bottle - thx Dos-beerigo.

Pours very dark with a very very slight head. Immediately the aromas hit you maple, coffee, some smokiness. The taste is rich and luxurious with slightly sweet flavors resembling the aromas, coffee, maple, smoky bacon. Absolutely delicious. The mouthfeel is amazing, it coats your mouth in velvety richness. I could literally find nothing wrong with this beer. I wish there were 10,000 bottles.

Also, I didn't knock off as others have done for lack of head in appearance as I think this adds to the "coffee" persona. To each his own.

4.97/5  rDev +10%

Original batch, kindly poured by the man himself into a FB snifter

A: Pours a big syrupy black color with a small khaki colored head. Retention isn't great, but with a high ABV it still looks evil

S: Damn, tons of sweet maple, coffee, and some burnt bacon. Simply amazing. The maple adds a whole new dimension to this beer that I never thought was possible

T: Much more balanced and refined that I expected. The bacon is less noticeable in the flavor, but the maple adds a pleasant flavor and balances the dark roast coffee. Thick body and dangerously drinkable. Not too much hop presence, but then again, that's not what you would want in a beer like this.

MF: Thick and chewy feel to it, sweet maple/coffee finish, low-medium carbonation. Alcohol is not detectable.

O: Overall, this is an amazing beer worthy of its hype. I have not had but one chance to get to FB since I am at school in SC since they have become a world-class brewery, but I will definitely make the effort now. Great job Funky Buddha!

4.97/5  rDev +10%

On tap at Funky Buddha.

Dark in color, but not entirely opaque. Has a lighter burgundy tone around the glass edge. thin film of head which disappeared soon after. Incredible nose and taste. Lots of maple and coffee on the nose. Tastes just like it smells and after warming a bit, some smoky flavors make an appearance. All balanced well. Packs a punch on ABV and it's clearly present in the taste. A definite sipper and IMO, the regular version is a bit easier drinking. Really amazing overall, FB did it again with this one.

4.92/5  rDev +8.8%

dark black, with a nice two inch tan head of lace and a great side glass contribution. Very thick looking. Huge chocolate and coffee aroma coming off of this, almost a vanilla like coffee, very sweet and rich aromas. The flavor was very full. Lots of roasted coffee mixed in with a light chocolate mix and a hint of a hoppy back, but just a hint. Very rich and creamy, this served up perfect for a dessert brew. It was a bit rough finishing the whole bottle as it is quite thick and very filling. Overall this was a great brew.

4.92/5  rDev +8.8%

Poured into my Darkness snifter.

Bottle 47/50

The most striking thing about this beer to me is the smell. Biggest nose on a beer to date. As soon as you open it the smell is unmistakeable. Breakfast sausage and maple syrup. Just like a sunday morning breakfast cookout. Even two feet away in my glass the heavy pounding of my olfactory nerves persists. Incredibly potent. And downright fuckin wonderful.

Thick used motor oil in a glass! No head whatsoever. The glass is stained wherever the liquid touches.

Taste is coffee, pork and syrup. Incredible. It's not too thick or chewy. It may sound awful but in truth it is possibly the best beer I've ever had.

In my eyes, a once in a lifetime beer. I felt like I had won the taste lottery. Hype is my kryptonite. I bought into this hype train hook, line and sinker. Good thing I did. This beer is ultimate win.

4.89/5  rDev +8.2%

Had a couple glasses of this for good reason.

A: looks like a dark beer so no surprises. Didn't have much of a head which I prefer, though if they really do brew this with bacon that would explain that

S: Maple smells dominate but also coffee. Smells awesome.

T: Taste follows the smell, strong coffee and maple flavor, but more blended together. This tastes less like liquid breakfast (good thing in my opinion). One of the more unique, and better tastes I've had in a beer.

M: This isn't the thickest syrup of stout you'll ever have, but it's well bodied and smooth. Matches the sweetness well.

O: What a beer. Wish they brewed more than a handful of gallons of this so I could find it in other parts of florida.

4.87/5  rDev +7.7%

BIG THANKS To darkguardian for this one!!!22oz bomber bottle number 6 of 50. I was torn whether or not to open this bad boy right away or to sit on it for a special occasion. After some comments I decided to open it last night. Man am I glad I did. The second I opened the bottle the maple syrup and coffee smell filled the room. I was a little worried after all the hype that I was gonna get a bad bottle but the inital smell is all good. I poured it into a darkness snifter and it poured black with some brown head that went away very fast. The smell is of roasted coffee and maple with some smokeyness. The taste is great alot smoother than I thought it was gonna be it's like breakfast in a beer. Mouthfeel could be a little thicker in my opinion(if you wanna split hairs). This beer was a little bittersweet because it was such an amazing beer and I wish I could have share it with someone, but I'm also happy I got the whole bottle to myself (minus a couple sips for my wife). After all was said and done my hands still reeked of maple syrup and my wife said my breath stank of dark coffee. ALL AROUND AN AMAZING BEER!!!! TOTALLY LIVED UP TO THE HYPE!!!

4.82/5  rDev +6.6%

Had this on tap at the Funky Buddha for the Wide Awake It's Morning Release Party. Thanks goes out to Ryan for hosting such a great event!

A - Pours coffee black with a thin tan head. Not much in the way of lacing on this one.

S - There's the smoke I was looking for in the regular Maple Bacon Coffee Porter. This one definitely smells like breakfast is being made in the kitchen and is stirring you out of bed. Big notes of espresso, sugar, sweet maple syrup and a hint of chocolate.

T - The taste mirrors the nose and the smokiness / bacon profile is much improved in the Imperial version. Upfront you're again hit right away by notes of roasted coffee, sweet malt, maple syrup and maybe a little vanilla.

M - Full bodied, almost chewy with low carbonation. Perfectly balanced in every way. No alcohol heat is present in this one either.

O - This is an extremely rich beer and it would be difficult to throw this back all night long, I did enjoy about three before calling it quits. Kevin and Ryan did a great job of taking an already superior beer and improving on it. Cheers!

4.79/5  rDev +6%

Bottle 24/50, dated 6/26/2011.

Pours black without any head, even with a vigorous pour.

Wow, smells incredible. Huge maple syrup, and dark roast coffee with smokiness. My tasting partner notes offal/bacon. A little chocolate, cream, a touch of fruit/jam, and roasted malts. The aroma filled the room once I opened it. Unbelievable stuff.

Tastes of sweet maple combined with chocolate and a ton of dark roast coffee. Light bacon smoke as well. The first taste was very sweet, but the more I sip it the less sweet it is, and definitely not as sweet as the aroma suggests. Really delicious and drinkable. Alcohol is well hidden, leaves my mouth dry.

Medium to full body with moderate carbonation for the style. Doesn't make it feel too syrupy, smooth mouthfeel.

Overall, very impressive beer. So much complexity to the nose and taste. I was worried I held onto it too long and the flavors would fade, but they are still going strong.

4.77/5  rDev +5.5%

Very excited to try this beer. Can it live up to the hype?

Pours coffee black with thin tan foam that leaves a glossy surface reminiscent of obsidian rock

This smell is what I want to wake up to every morning. First the maple, next the hint of smoke (bacon) and finally the smell of freshly brewed coffee. Absolutely sublime.

Taste is maple, smoke and black coffee. Really is extraordinary how these flavors blend together

Mouthfeel is very nice medium bodied with just enough carbonation

Overall this is one of the best beers I've ever had, no question. Definitely live up to the hype actually it may even exceeds it!

4.77/5  rDev +5.5%

On tap at the release (06-26-2011)

Beer pours pitch Black....what a gorgeous color.

Nose gives a lot more smoke then the regular Maple Bacon Coffee Porter, which was something that I could careless about as I do not enjoy smoke. In this beer though it fits in perfectly.

This beer is a GrandSlam Breakfast (minus the eggs) in a glass. Maple Syrup is present, Smoke is there, and SLAMMM a huge hit of Black Coffee! Everything is exceptionally well balanced.

The highlight of this beer is the mouthfeel. I have complained before that I wanted more mouthfeel from some of their beers. This one is spot on. Almost velvet-y smooth. Just Perfect!

Very Good Beer!

4.76/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Do you like breakfast? Do you like beer? Well.. you're gonna love this beer then

A: dark as night, nice head with lacing

S: like a million bucks. lots of coffee, maple syrup

T: first you get coffee, then sweet maple syrup and then somewhere in there is some slight salt of bacon and finish with some coffee again

M: A tad thin but more than ok

Overall: I beg for more every day

4.75/5  rDev +5.1%

I was lucky enough to try this on-tap at the EBF.

Appearance: Pours a dark brown with a layer of thick, smooth tan head thad fades to a ring around the edge of the glass and leaves some lacing.

Smell: This beer is more roast forward than the Morning Wood. Still some sweet maple, but this one is milder. I'm picking up some smooth, nutty coffee.

Taste: I can pick up a hint of bacon in this beer, it's a very welcome flavor. The maple is a bit more subdued than the barrel aged version. Roasty and sweet with a nice amount of maple blending with everything else.

Mouthfeel: Thick body with smooth carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: I enjoyed this slightly more than the barrel aged version. This one seems to allow the bacon to show up and not just highlight the maple and coffee. I would love to have another.

4.75/5  rDev +5.1%

Been waiting for this gem of a beer for quite some time. Pours black, not too thick, but not thin either. Maple is the main ingredient that you smell first, swiftly followed by smokiness and coffee bean. A little bit more smokey then the regular Maple Bacon. The ABV is hidden very well amongst the flavors in this one. Has to be one of the best beers I've ever had.

4.74/5  rDev +4.9%

Wide awake is an incredible brew. Rosy brown and dark with no head, beautiful smell, maple and alcohol but mostly strong coffee. Super roasty, lovely smooth taste, sugar, like hazelnut coffee with maple instead.

Smooth and creamy, big on the mouth, clean finish that is perfect about 4 ounces. Thanks Karl, thanks Mike, and thanks Al for the treat. Absolutely excellent. Trumps CBS.

4.71/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Here's what blew my mind: you would think a maple imperial stout would be super sweet, especially when described as a waffle breakfast with coffee and bacon in Liquid form. Yet somehow, it's not too sweet. The balance between the maple, smokey bacon, and coffee is perfect. No other stout like this has even come close to the kind of balance they achieved. This is deservedly one of the all time greats

4.69/5  rDev +3.8%

Big thanks to Ryan (owner/brewer) for this first ever taste out of the fermenter in the final stage of the brew!

Kind of a murky purple/burgundy with a decent tan head. Not much to look at really. That's where the negativity ends.

The smell is righteous! It's all in the name of course as well as some casual nuances and notions of syrup, roasted coffee beans, coco bacon bits, and vanilla cream.

The taste is killer as well of course! All the flavors of the nose come through even more delectably than I could've imagined. Really a tasty breakfast treat I could have ANYTIME.

She's got a great mouth on her! No really though this is thicker than most stouts I've ever tastes. Really heavy and fluffy all together. Kind of expands inside your mouth. By far the mouthfeel is the most impressive piece of this breakfast pie.

Overall I'm head over heels for this beer! I can't wait to go through some serious trouble to get more when it's released.

4.67/5  rDev +3.3%

Review #1000!!! Massive thanks goes out to beeruser for sharing this one with me and also my boy Jefe73 for sending me one of these as a surprise on my birthday! Bottle #44 of 50! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller flute. Poured pitch black with a half finger light tan head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, cofee, maple syrup, subtle smoke, and caramel. The flavor was of sweet malt, coffee, brown sugar, maple syrup, slight smoke, and subtle meat. It had a heavy feel on the palate with mild carbonation (almost a creamy texture). Overall this brew was nothing short of phenomenal. Now this is what I am talking about! I really wish they made a cologne out of this brew as I would wear it daily. The aroma on this thing is phenomenal and really robust as you can smell it from a completely different room (seriously!). The flavor, just like the aroma. The smokiness on this one added a REALLY nice aspect to the already stellar brew. The alcohol? Nowhere to be found... I hate this was such a small batch as I could eat/drink this for breakfast every morning. Just a great brew.

4.67/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This beer is the perfect imperial aged bacon beer. The ABV is will hidden at 10.5%. The maple which is usually hard to capture in beer compliments the other flavors nicely. You get hints of maple and coffee on both the nose and pallet. But somewhere all around you get the taste of bacon which plays so nicely with all the other flavors to not be overbearing. Overall this was a great beer and better as it warmed up

4.65/5  rDev +2.9%

On tap poured into a sampling glass at Extreme Beer Fest 2012. Much of this will carry over from my Morning Wood review but this was still a stand out of the fest.

Pours a black-as-night color with a small dark brown head that is fine and just clings everywhere in your glass. Nose is still utterly amazing for a coffee lover like me, the coffee is slightly more pronounced and less mellow but still amazing.

Taste follows the nose, more coffee, a bit more acidic but then again coffee is acidic so no real surprise. Maple is still present and delicious. Overall this is an awesome candidate for barrel aging but it's nearly as good off steel.

4.62/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to Jason for sharing this one with me.

Bottle #27

Pours very dark, with a viscous, dark tan half-finger head that dissipates after 30 seconds or so.

This is easily among the best smelling beers I've encountered. Not to take away from the beer in any way, but the only way to describe it is like a McGriddle in a glass. It's amazing. My girlfriend commented when she came home (while we were drinking this) and said the whole house smelled great, like a pancake house. I'd give this 6/5 if I could.

Taste gets a 4.5 only because it doesn't match how great it smelled. The maple is there in force along with the coffee and a twinge of bacon at the end. Very delicious, but just not as well-harmonized as I'd like.

Mouthfeel is nice, low carbonation, low heat (especially considering the abv) and nice and dry.

Overall this was the most interesting beer of the night, and of recent memory. Extremely grateful for the opportunity to taste it and can only hope that it becomes less impossible to have in the future.

4.62/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This takes Maple Bacon coffee Porter to a new level and may be the best beer I have tasted so far. This seems to carry more maple than the lighter version and the coffee is not as forward. The salty, smokiness is still there. Everything is in perfect balance. Mouth feel and aroma are fantastic.

Wide Awake It's Morning from Funky Buddha Brewery