Follow our progress ...

YOUR RATING = None |

Funky Buddha Brewery
Florida, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Rise and shine, buttercup - it's time for breakfast. This imperial version of our infamous Maple Bacon Coffee Porter adds some girthy gravity to the the smokey, salty, rich combo of maple syrup, fresh roasted coffee, and bacon.

Added by Habmike on 04-01-2011

Reviews: 87 | Ratings: 447
1.54/5  rDev -65.9%

Big thanks to spdyfire83 for bringing this to the table! 22oz bottle poured into a tulip...

Appearance: pours a dark, opaque brown. The thin head is gone quick. Virtually no lacing. Carbonation is fitting for a porter (this is a porter, right?!).

Aroma: This bottle had been cracked and was being passed around when I came back from a glass rinse...the maple had already infiltrated the entire room upon my return. I like maple, so now I'm excited! But then I get my pour, and the game changes dramatically. Despite the fact that I can still smell maple in the room, I get virtually none when I really get into my pour. I get the coffee and some smoke, but what dominates is this weird fucking vegetable smell. I've read reviews mentioning this but I'd never experienced it, so I just thought al those reviewers were daft. But here it is, and it overwhelmed the beer. Cooked celery, and maybe some bell pepper (?) were my associations. Seriously, the smell killed my beer boner most heinously.

Taste: Wow...gross. Acrid cheap coffee, some smoke characteristics. Overwhelmingly bitter. I only taste maple when I exhale after a sip. And then it gets worse...the aftertaste is unholy and punishing - it just doesn't stop sucking, it's amazing! It tastes like raw celery, and it lingers longer than a vegan fart.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation and body are appropriate for the style, but it's past the point of mattering.

Overall: I'm excited I had a chance to try this one, and I respect what the brewers are going for...but my experience with it was disappointing and unpleasant.

3.28/5  rDev -27.3%

Courtesy of the generous spdyfire83. Another whale I never thought I would try. Poured into a snifter.

A- Pours a dark brown with a thin head that dissipates into a thin cap. No lacing left behind.

S- Wow really intense bacon, vegetables..perhaps bell peppers? maple syrup, coffee grounds, dark chocolate, tobacco, roasted malt and some smokiness.

T- Meaty with bacon and sausage, sweet maple syrup, burnt caramel, old coffee grounds, tobacco, chocolate, roasted and smoked malt.

M- Medium carbonation and body. Finishes dry and bitter with some coffee grounds. The abv is hidden well.

O- This was just an intense beer with too much going on. Lot's of burnt coffee and smoke that reminded me of drinking cheap coffee at a diner. Overall, I admire their creativity, but I just don't think it was executed well.

3.43/5  rDev -23.9%

A: Slightly translucent dark brown. No head. No lacing.

S: Absolutely intense aroma of the exact ingredients listed in the name. The intensity of the aroma is almost unbelievable. Huge scents of sweet maple syrup, strong coffee, smoky bacon, and some lighter chocolate notes, all fighting for supremacy in my nose.

T: Tastes of chocolate and coffee with smoke in the background. Long lingering flavor of burnt coffee. Burnt caramel on the finish, but then comes along a light maple sweetness.

M: Medium bodied with light carbonation. Sweet with a smoky tannic ashtray bitterness.

O: It's rare that a beer makes me ask the age old question: WTF?, but this oddity did. It's certainly a unique beer that tastes and smells exactly as advertised on the label. Like breakfast in a blender. And while I do enjoy maple, bacon, and coffee, I'm not 100% convinced they all need to make an appearance in my beer to be appreciated.

3.52/5  rDev -22%

22oz. Capped bomber into a TJ's snifter. Thanks to CarbonIS for this one. Had at a tasting 9/4/11.

Black color. Ring of light mocha head with moderate retention. Spotty and sparse lace with very little cling.

Big coffee notes with some Chinese medicinal notes in the background. Some slight hints of maple in the background. No bacon. Strange. Very aromatic though.

Maple opening. Coffee notes towards the middle with chocolate and fudge. Bacon comes in sweet. More maple and coffee with some milky notes. Finish is sweet and slightly smoky. Aftertaste is more smoke and coffee bean bitterness. Not bad, but not great either.

Medium to full bodied and near flat. Smooth and oily in the mouth and smooth and viscous going down. Finish is messy with a lingering aftertaste. Good.

This is pretty much a novelty beer in my opinion. Very different than anything else I’ve ever had from the style but that doesn’t mean that it’s particularly good. After about the 3rd or 4th ounce, my palate had had enough. Decent, but forgettable.

3.53/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Dark black-brown body. Just a thin, but well defined, ring of khaki foam. Spotty sudsy lacing.

S: Maple syrup and burnt coffee. A bit of smoke and roast. Not particularly inviting or well developed.

T: Like the nose, coffee (both roasted and burnt) takes center stage. A bit of smoked malts, maple syrup, brown sugar, and chocolate.

M: Fairly thin for as much malt in the flavor. A weak, sloppy finish. Slightly over carbonated.

O: Eh, I just didn't get the appeal of this. I didn't get any bacon... and the smoke and coffee was rather boring. Give me Mikkeller's beer geek bacon anyday.

3.57/5  rDev -20.8%

43rd Review
Bottle to snifter.
Bottle 29/50

From notes. Shared at the DL Variant + Others Tasting in Chicago back in October. Thanks to dimenhetfield for the trade.

A: Deep chocolate brown. Barely 0.5 fingernail (tan) head on vigorous pour.

S: Initially, I cannot decide if I like this or hate it. Obviously it would be unfair to judge a beer on smell alone; however, this is quite unique...smokey, maple syrup, espresso, dark chocolate, brown sugar, and pancakes. Just kidding – there were no pancakes on the nose of this beer, but that’s what it makes me think of...a big burly breakfast. I cannot find the bacon in the smell, but am hopeful that comes later.

T: Complex. Very complex. Sweet and roasty. Rich. Up-front you get strong coffee notes intertwined with sweet malt and maple syrup. Bacon comes thru solo (mid-palate) and this is quite an interesting flavor for the beer. Finished off with a hint of caramel and vanilla which I thought was nice.

M: Full bodied and almost no carbonation. Potent after-taste that almost ruined the experience for me, but I can look past it.

O: This was a very unique beer to have at such a large tasting. Initially, I thought the beer might be off based on reactions from the crowd; however, once I "jumped into the beer", it was just really, really complex. The complexity actually amazes me; however, IMO it almost takes away from the actual point of the beer. Obviously there is a fine line between good and bad, but this one tip-toes the hanging wire. I had fun with this one though and tried to enjoy the experience as much as possible. As mentioned above, I would to take down a huge plate of breakfast with this beer. It is bold and big (a lot going on), but nothing that I would seek out going forward. Curious to see how the regular Maple Bacon Coffee Porter tastes in comparison to this, but my interest stops there.

Simply put...fun to try!

3.6/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

So much better in theory than execution....smells wondeful but lacks any real depth, gets very sweet and cloying, overloaded maple atop a coffee that tastes bottom shelf. No bacon to be found. Rather messy

3.97/5  rDev -12%

On-tap at the Funky Buddha's 2nd Anniversary Party. Poured into an FB snifter.

Appearance - Black without being inky. Small khaki head. Wispy and a little sticky.

Smell - Intense coffee without ever being acidic. It rounds itself out with a touch of maple and some smokiness that mellows the coffee into an earthiness that is quite pleasant. A little over the top at first, but the full nose is quite nice.

Taste - Like the nose, the coffee is intense and almost astringent. The acidity of it is just a little too much at first. The roasted malts mellow it, surprisingly, and give it a nice touch of smoke in the end. The maple is barely a hint, if I can even detect it at all. It just seems to be there as something that keeps it drinkably sweet at such a high ABV and coffee content.

Mouthfeel - The coffee intense and maybe a little too intense. The rest of the beer drinks nicely, especially for 11.5%, which is how FB listed it on the board. Medium bodied. Nicely balanced except for the coffee.

Overall - A really nice beer without being exceptional in any way. The way the coffee character blends with the smoked malts is its best characteristic.

4.11/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

It's hard not to compare this beer to Maple Bacon Coffee Porter since this is the imperial version of MBCP. The look and smell are very much the same as MBCP with a nice dark color with a thin head of tan foam. The intense coffee and maple aromas are the best part of this beer. The taste is basically a boozy MBCP with a little less balance when it comes to the sweetness of the maple balancing the bitterness of the hops. It just doesn't work as well as it's lower abv version. The mouthfeel is also a little too thin for an imperial stout. Overall, it's still a very good beer, just not up to the challenge of outdoing the original maple bacon.

4.13/5  rDev -8.4%

Pours black with tan head. It looks thin on the pour and it certainly is a bit thin. Despite this, it hides the booze well for a 10.5% imperial porter. The aroma is definitely maple forward and plenty of it stands out in the flavor. The coffee is a little aggressive and kind of takes away from the smoothness of this beer. Additionally, where is the bacon?

4.14/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

On draft at Bru, served in a tulip glass.

Appealing jet black look with basically no head.

Smell is coffee and maple, an excellent combination.

It develops a lot as it warms to room temperature. Chocolate, malt, and lots of maple syrup. Any bacon influence is subtle, which I enjoy. The presence of the bourbon is discernible, but it's behind the other flavors.

Mouthfeel is full bodied and coats the tongue. It skirts the line of being cloying but ultimately backs away from that ledge.

Glad to finally try this one!

4.15/5  rDev -8%

So glad to try this, courtesy of Urbancaver (thanks Cam!). Bottle 50/50. This pours with almost no head, just a dark brown and opaque liquid. The smell is strong with maple syrup, good coffee aroma behind that. Actually the aroma is a little overwhelming and very enticing. No bacon in the aroma, too bad as that was a strong point in the non imperial version.

This tastes pretty strong and rich, really sweet upfront and a little cloying in the aftertaste. I'm not gonna say it tastes bad, because it's actually tasty for the most part, but this pales in comparison to Maple Bacon Coffee Porter. Norm actually poured the majority of his out while I watched in amazement, I guess that's a good indication that it gets a bit tiring.

Thickish mouthful, intense in every metric, but again I'd rather have the original.

4.24/5  rDev -6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Black in color. No head.

Tons of bacon and a little smoke. Huge maple and sweetness flavor. Chocolate. Caramel.

Nicer than the regular maple bacon because it is thicker.

Nice beer. Very enjoyable.

4.25/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

L: Dark brown almost opaque some light comes through around the edges. Small Kahki head that disapates quickly.

Smell: Pure maple syrup, the maple dominates. Slight coffee and dark malts. I get almost no bacon smokiness, if you didn't tell me it was there I would more then likely not pick it up.

T: Maple syrup dominates. This is my biggest issue with this beer, I want more coffee and smokiness to balance out the sweetness. I also feel like the Maple syrup tastes a bit like artificial maple flavor. It's not bad by any means, I just want some coffee and bacon as advertised to calm the sweetness down.

M: medium bodied, a bit thin for an imperial Porter.

O: A good beer, and I enjoy it much more then regular MBCP. A bit sweet and artificial maple but still a good beer worth trying. I wouldn't turn down a glass or bottle for sure, but I would definitely split the bottle.

4.26/5  rDev -5.5%

Bottle #30/50, thanks Jason! Poured into Darkness snifter.

A - Pours like a cold black coffee. No head, lace, or retention.

S - Holy Moses! Tons of black coffee, coffee grinds, coffee beans, and sweet maple syrup. These notes dominate just about everything else...even the alcohol, as there's really no trace. That said, these two notes are delicious, so I really enjoyed sniffing this one over and over.

T - Huge sweetness, huge coffee, huge maple. Like an iced coffee with extra chocolate, alcohol hidden well. If you threw some ice into this and served it in a Starbucks cup, I'd have a hard time believing this was beer! Bitter black coffee finish with a slight touch of maple sweetness.

M - Full body, ultra rich, no carbonation, creamy finish. 3.5

O - My pour was good enough and I didn't really have the desire to keep drinking this one. Kinda like Black Tuesday and Chocolate Rain. That said, this beer has a wonderful nose and tastes excellent. It's as-advertised, a coffee/maple beer that is incredibly decadent.

4.27/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Standard imperial stout looking pour

Aroma is dominated by cappuccino and pancacke syrup. Very nice.

The flavor is very smooth, lots of chocolate and fresh brewed cappuccino. Pancake sweetness from the maple. Very light smokiness. Overall an impressive tasting beer for sure.

The body is nearly full and there is a nice creaminess.

Overall this beer is more impressive than it is drinkable for me. After a few ounces I am not really wanting more despite the great flavor. Seems to be a common story for imperial stouts lately.

4.29/5  rDev -4.9%

Bottle #34 of 50, courtesy of thagr81us during the South Carolina tasting. Whalish figure.

This one pours a near lifeless black, medium I'm body. Right off the bat you get hit in the face with aromas of maple syrup pancakes, smoked sausage, coffee, vanilla, and sweet chocolates. Crazy nose and very strong. You can smell it from ten feet away. The flavors are a nice mix of maple syrup drenched breakfast sausages, chocolate, vanilla beans, and light coffee. While very good, I may soon be Diabetic. The sugar is out of this world. It's drinkable but only at maybe half a bottle at a time. I can't take that much sugar. Very nice beer though and definitely unique. To think that a beer can accomplish such a complex nose is mind boggling. Great beer and excellent beer to tick.

4.34/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Dark black color. Tastes of chocolate, maple syrup with some slight smokiness. Smoke and maple fades as the bottle ages. A hefty drink. The big bottle should be shared with a friend.

4.35/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This is what I wanted MBCP to be. As soon as the beer was poured the entire area smelled like maple syrup. Color was dark and the flavor was very well balanced between the maple and coffee with just a hint of smoke.

4.36/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I'm getting a ton of coffee and maple and not a lot of smokey bacon that I got from MBCP or Morning Wood. That said its a really nice imperialized version MBCP that has a ton of coffee and sweet maple.

4.36/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

L - pitch black with ruby red edges and less than half a finger of brown head

S - Maple syrup, salt, iced coffee, chocolate doughnuts

T- Salt is big, smokey (almost rauchbier) malts, black coffee, bitter dark chocolate

F - thick, no alcohol, drinkability is high thanks to dessert-like flavors

O - Very good. I thunk the standard MBCP packs just as much flavor into a smaller beer. This is till good, though.

4.39/5  rDev -2.7%

From notes, 8-13-2011
Thanks a ton Cam, for sharing this treasure

A - black body, red edges and a tan ring of foam

S - Coffee, Maple, both brilliantly present and clear, some dark sweet flavors, chocolate, and banana.

T - complex sweetness, maple and coffee, and a touch of smoke. It's very sweet and becomes difficult to finish a medium sized sample, but it's damn tasty.

M - very smooth and fairly thick

O - Very good, quite interesting.

4.39/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Taster glass. Thanks for the share, Shannon.

A: Blackish brown with a tan half finger head that hung out.

S: Coffee mixed in with dark chocolate, hazlenut and smokiness.

T: Divine! What a great mix of coffee, chocolate, caramel, maple syrup and bready malts. Top it off with a bit of smoky goodness. As another reviewer said, this is breakfast in a bottle.

M: Medium with medium to heavy carbonation. Thick and decadent.

O: Of all the coffee stouts I've tried, Funky Buddha brews it up better than most. This is an amazing brew that I'd love to try again and again. Wow!

4.44/5  rDev -1.6%

Thanks So much for this one Ryan.

Bottle 50 of 50

Pours a dark dark brown with a reddish tint. A tiny bit of tan head. Looks great. Before i can even finish looking the aroma hits strongly. Huuuge coffee and maple on the nose before i even put my nose near the glass. Incredible. Tastes coffee heavy with a wonderful maple prescence. It's a bit heavier and overpowering. I like the regular mbcp better but it's still quite tasty. Nice thick bubbly mouthfeel. Overall top notch

4.44/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

It's breakfast in a bottle. When cold it tastes like pancakes and syrup with a sip of coffee at the end. The coffee becomes more pronounced and almost overpowers the maple once it warms.

Wide Awake It's Morning from Funky Buddha Brewery