Wide Awake It's Morning - Funky Buddha Brewery

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

Beer added by: Habmike on 04-01-2011

Imperial Maple Bacon Coffee Stout
1.54/5  rDev -65.9%

Big thanks to spdyfire83 for bringing this to the table! 22oz bottle poured into a tulip...

Appearance: pours a dark, opaque brown. The thin head is gone quick. Virtually no lacing. Carbonation is fitting for a porter (this is a porter, right?!).

Aroma: This bottle had been cracked and was being passed around when I came back from a glass rinse...the maple had already infiltrated the entire room upon my return. I like maple, so now I'm excited! But then I get my pour, and the game changes dramatically. Despite the fact that I can still smell maple in the room, I get virtually none when I really get into my pour. I get the coffee and some smoke, but what dominates is this weird fucking vegetable smell. I've read reviews mentioning this but I'd never experienced it, so I just thought al those reviewers were daft. But here it is, and it overwhelmed the beer. Cooked celery, and maybe some bell pepper (?) were my associations. Seriously, the smell killed my beer boner most heinously.

Taste: Wow...gross. Acrid cheap coffee, some smoke characteristics. Overwhelmingly bitter. I only taste maple when I exhale after a sip. And then it gets worse...the aftertaste is unholy and punishing - it just doesn't stop sucking, it's amazing! It tastes like raw celery, and it lingers longer than a vegan fart.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation and body are appropriate for the style, but it's past the point of mattering.

Overall: I'm excited I had a chance to try this one, and I respect what the brewers are going for...but my experience with it was disappointing and unpleasant.

3.28/5  rDev -27.4%

Courtesy of the generous spdyfire83. Another whale I never thought I would try. Poured into a snifter.

A- Pours a dark brown with a thin head that dissipates into a thin cap. No lacing left behind.

S- Wow really intense bacon, vegetables..perhaps bell peppers? maple syrup, coffee grounds, dark chocolate, tobacco, roasted malt and some smokiness.

T- Meaty with bacon and sausage, sweet maple syrup, burnt caramel, old coffee grounds, tobacco, chocolate, roasted and smoked malt.

M- Medium carbonation and body. Finishes dry and bitter with some coffee grounds. The abv is hidden well.

O- This was just an intense beer with too much going on. Lot's of burnt coffee and smoke that reminded me of drinking cheap coffee at a diner. Overall, I admire their creativity, but I just don't think it was executed well.

3.43/5  rDev -24.1%

A: Slightly translucent dark brown. No head. No lacing.

S: Absolutely intense aroma of the exact ingredients listed in the name. The intensity of the aroma is almost unbelievable. Huge scents of sweet maple syrup, strong coffee, smoky bacon, and some lighter chocolate notes, all fighting for supremacy in my nose.

T: Tastes of chocolate and coffee with smoke in the background. Long lingering flavor of burnt coffee. Burnt caramel on the finish, but then comes along a light maple sweetness.

M: Medium bodied with light carbonation. Sweet with a smoky tannic ashtray bitterness.

O: It's rare that a beer makes me ask the age old question: WTF?, but this oddity did. It's certainly a unique beer that tastes and smells exactly as advertised on the label. Like breakfast in a blender. And while I do enjoy maple, bacon, and coffee, I'm not 100% convinced they all need to make an appearance in my beer to be appreciated.

3.52/5  rDev -22.1%

22oz. Capped bomber into a TJ's snifter. Thanks to CarbonIS for this one. Had at a tasting 9/4/11.

Black color. Ring of light mocha head with moderate retention. Spotty and sparse lace with very little cling.

Big coffee notes with some Chinese medicinal notes in the background. Some slight hints of maple in the background. No bacon. Strange. Very aromatic though.

Maple opening. Coffee notes towards the middle with chocolate and fudge. Bacon comes in sweet. More maple and coffee with some milky notes. Finish is sweet and slightly smoky. Aftertaste is more smoke and coffee bean bitterness. Not bad, but not great either.

Medium to full bodied and near flat. Smooth and oily in the mouth and smooth and viscous going down. Finish is messy with a lingering aftertaste. Good.

This is pretty much a novelty beer in my opinion. Very different than anything else I’ve ever had from the style but that doesn’t mean that it’s particularly good. After about the 3rd or 4th ounce, my palate had had enough. Decent, but forgettable.

3.53/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Dark black-brown body. Just a thin, but well defined, ring of khaki foam. Spotty sudsy lacing.

S: Maple syrup and burnt coffee. A bit of smoke and roast. Not particularly inviting or well developed.

T: Like the nose, coffee (both roasted and burnt) takes center stage. A bit of smoked malts, maple syrup, brown sugar, and chocolate.

M: Fairly thin for as much malt in the flavor. A weak, sloppy finish. Slightly over carbonated.

O: Eh, I just didn't get the appeal of this. I didn't get any bacon... and the smoke and coffee was rather boring. Give me Mikkeller's beer geek bacon anyday.

3.57/5  rDev -21%

43rd Review
Bottle to snifter.
Bottle 29/50

From notes. Shared at the DL Variant + Others Tasting in Chicago back in October. Thanks to dimenhetfield for the trade.

A: Deep chocolate brown. Barely 0.5 fingernail (tan) head on vigorous pour.

S: Initially, I cannot decide if I like this or hate it. Obviously it would be unfair to judge a beer on smell alone; however, this is quite unique...smokey, maple syrup, espresso, dark chocolate, brown sugar, and pancakes. Just kidding – there were no pancakes on the nose of this beer, but that’s what it makes me think of...a big burly breakfast. I cannot find the bacon in the smell, but am hopeful that comes later.

T: Complex. Very complex. Sweet and roasty. Rich. Up-front you get strong coffee notes intertwined with sweet malt and maple syrup. Bacon comes thru solo (mid-palate) and this is quite an interesting flavor for the beer. Finished off with a hint of caramel and vanilla which I thought was nice.

M: Full bodied and almost no carbonation. Potent after-taste that almost ruined the experience for me, but I can look past it.

O: This was a very unique beer to have at such a large tasting. Initially, I thought the beer might be off based on reactions from the crowd; however, once I "jumped into the beer", it was just really, really complex. The complexity actually amazes me; however, IMO it almost takes away from the actual point of the beer. Obviously there is a fine line between good and bad, but this one tip-toes the hanging wire. I had fun with this one though and tried to enjoy the experience as much as possible. As mentioned above, I would to take down a huge plate of breakfast with this beer. It is bold and big (a lot going on), but nothing that I would seek out going forward. Curious to see how the regular Maple Bacon Coffee Porter tastes in comparison to this, but my interest stops there.

Simply put...fun to try!

3.97/5  rDev -12.2%

On-tap at the Funky Buddha's 2nd Anniversary Party. Poured into an FB snifter.

Appearance - Black without being inky. Small khaki head. Wispy and a little sticky.

Smell - Intense coffee without ever being acidic. It rounds itself out with a touch of maple and some smokiness that mellows the coffee into an earthiness that is quite pleasant. A little over the top at first, but the full nose is quite nice.

Taste - Like the nose, the coffee is intense and almost astringent. The acidity of it is just a little too much at first. The roasted malts mellow it, surprisingly, and give it a nice touch of smoke in the end. The maple is barely a hint, if I can even detect it at all. It just seems to be there as something that keeps it drinkably sweet at such a high ABV and coffee content.

Mouthfeel - The coffee intense and maybe a little too intense. The rest of the beer drinks nicely, especially for 11.5%, which is how FB listed it on the board. Medium bodied. Nicely balanced except for the coffee.

Overall - A really nice beer without being exceptional in any way. The way the coffee character blends with the smoked malts is its best characteristic.

4.14/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

On draft at Bru, served in a tulip glass.

Appealing jet black look with basically no head.

Smell is coffee and maple, an excellent combination.

It develops a lot as it warms to room temperature. Chocolate, malt, and lots of maple syrup. Any bacon influence is subtle, which I enjoy. The presence of the bourbon is discernible, but it's behind the other flavors.

Mouthfeel is full bodied and coats the tongue. It skirts the line of being cloying but ultimately backs away from that ledge.

Glad to finally try this one!

4.15/5  rDev -8.2%

So glad to try this, courtesy of Urbancaver (thanks Cam!). Bottle 50/50. This pours with almost no head, just a dark brown and opaque liquid. The smell is strong with maple syrup, good coffee aroma behind that. Actually the aroma is a little overwhelming and very enticing. No bacon in the aroma, too bad as that was a strong point in the non imperial version.

This tastes pretty strong and rich, really sweet upfront and a little cloying in the aftertaste. I'm not gonna say it tastes bad, because it's actually tasty for the most part, but this pales in comparison to Maple Bacon Coffee Porter. Norm actually poured the majority of his out while I watched in amazement, I guess that's a good indication that it gets a bit tiring.

Thickish mouthful, intense in every metric, but again I'd rather have the original.

4.26/5  rDev -5.8%

Bottle #30/50, thanks Jason! Poured into Darkness snifter.

A - Pours like a cold black coffee. No head, lace, or retention.

S - Holy Moses! Tons of black coffee, coffee grinds, coffee beans, and sweet maple syrup. These notes dominate just about everything else...even the alcohol, as there's really no trace. That said, these two notes are delicious, so I really enjoyed sniffing this one over and over.

T - Huge sweetness, huge coffee, huge maple. Like an iced coffee with extra chocolate, alcohol hidden well. If you threw some ice into this and served it in a Starbucks cup, I'd have a hard time believing this was beer! Bitter black coffee finish with a slight touch of maple sweetness.

M - Full body, ultra rich, no carbonation, creamy finish. 3.5

O - My pour was good enough and I didn't really have the desire to keep drinking this one. Kinda like Black Tuesday and Chocolate Rain. That said, this beer has a wonderful nose and tastes excellent. It's as-advertised, a coffee/maple beer that is incredibly decadent.

4.27/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Standard imperial stout looking pour

Aroma is dominated by cappuccino and pancacke syrup. Very nice.

The flavor is very smooth, lots of chocolate and fresh brewed cappuccino. Pancake sweetness from the maple. Very light smokiness. Overall an impressive tasting beer for sure.

The body is nearly full and there is a nice creaminess.

Overall this beer is more impressive than it is drinkable for me. After a few ounces I am not really wanting more despite the great flavor. Seems to be a common story for imperial stouts lately.

4.29/5  rDev -5.1%

Bottle #34 of 50, courtesy of thagr81us during the South Carolina tasting. Whalish figure.

This one pours a near lifeless black, medium I'm body. Right off the bat you get hit in the face with aromas of maple syrup pancakes, smoked sausage, coffee, vanilla, and sweet chocolates. Crazy nose and very strong. You can smell it from ten feet away. The flavors are a nice mix of maple syrup drenched breakfast sausages, chocolate, vanilla beans, and light coffee. While very good, I may soon be Diabetic. The sugar is out of this world. It's drinkable but only at maybe half a bottle at a time. I can't take that much sugar. Very nice beer though and definitely unique. To think that a beer can accomplish such a complex nose is mind boggling. Great beer and excellent beer to tick.

4.38/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer poured out as a really nice black color with a tan head that stuck around for a while. The smell of the beer was very sweet, rich and slightly smokey. The taste of the beer was sweet, roasted, maple and caramel flavors with some wood and smoke along with vanilla and coffee. An absolute cluster of flavors in this brew. The mouthfeel was heavy and had a medium carbonation to it. Overall this was special for sure. I would love to have more of this someday. I've found myself craving more Funky Buddha since the EBF ended. Looks like I may be going to Florida sometime in the near future.

4.39/5  rDev -2.9%

From notes, 8-13-2011
Thanks a ton Cam, for sharing this treasure

A - black body, red edges and a tan ring of foam

S - Coffee, Maple, both brilliantly present and clear, some dark sweet flavors, chocolate, and banana.

T - complex sweetness, maple and coffee, and a touch of smoke. It's very sweet and becomes difficult to finish a medium sized sample, but it's damn tasty.

M - very smooth and fairly thick

O - Very good, quite interesting.

4.44/5  rDev -1.8%

Thanks So much for this one Ryan.

Bottle 50 of 50

Pours a dark dark brown with a reddish tint. A tiny bit of tan head. Looks great. Before i can even finish looking the aroma hits strongly. Huuuge coffee and maple on the nose before i even put my nose near the glass. Incredible. Tastes coffee heavy with a wonderful maple prescence. It's a bit heavier and overpowering. I like the regular mbcp better but it's still quite tasty. Nice thick bubbly mouthfeel. Overall top notch

4.46/5  rDev -1.3%

Thanks to Jason and Casey for bringing this to Chicago.

A - Blackish-dark brown beer with not much of a head and nothing left on the sides.

S - Tons of maple syrup and tons of coffee. It smells like pure maple syrup. There might be a slight bit of smokey malt in there, but it is buried by what seems to be a bottle of maple syrup that was dumped into this beer. The smell is so strong it pretty much knocks you over. That said, it's good.

T - Super sweet maple syrup and some rich coffee. Sweetness, and bitter roasted coffee. Great morning drink, or great breakfast drink. Really have never had anything like this with quite this distinctive maple syrup taste. It's rich, and the coffee is rich. It's so sweet though, really couldn't drink tons of it.

M - Feels pretty full bodied, with low carbonation.

O - Great beer, although it's a real sipper and good to share amongst friends. Like other Funky Buddha beers I've had, it's really unique and this one I really recommend.

4.47/5  rDev -1.1%

From 02/03/12 notes. Had on tap at EBF up in Boston, MA.

a - Pours a dark brown, almost black color, with one inch of dark tan head and light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of coffee, roasted malts, smokey malts, sweet sugar and dark fruits, dark chocolate, and light vanilla or cream. Really nice.

t - Tastes of coffee, smokey malts, roasted malts, brown sugar, sweet dark fruits, chocolate, toasted malts, and vanilla. A tiny bit more smoke then the nose.

m - Medium to full body and low carbonation. Thick body, very nice.

o - Overall a really great beer, though not as good as the BA version (Morning Wood). This vversion is smokier, and not quite as smooth. Still great and worth checking out.

4.48/5  rDev -0.9%

Thanks to Jason thru Casey for this. Bottle #30 of 50. A dark brown/black color with no lacing. The smell is exceptional....immediate coffee and maple, chocolate, and faint pepper tones. The taste is in your face with coffee, tobacco, leather, sweet and spicy. Light mouthfeel with surprisingly light carbonation that is unexpected from the look. This is a good beer that's to be shared. It's a sipper and a beer that is worth seeking out. I would love to taste this again in 1 to 2 years to see how it ages in the cellar. Very good quaff.

4.48/5  rDev -0.9%

From notes. Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a snifter. This bottle is about a year old.

Wide Awake pours a dark brown mahogany color with almost no head formation on the initial pour.

The aroma still jumps out of the glass. Bursts of espresso, sweet maple syrup, smoke, and vanilla all come through. With the age of the bottle I would not be surprised if the coffee smelled even better fresh, but it still smells incredible. Each whiff unveils a little bit more complexity. This is definitely a winner.

The flavor is huge. There coffee flavor manifests itself in the beginning of the sip, with what seems to be a few different types of exquisite espresso. Sweetness runs rampant with maple syrup flavors coming through during each part of the sip, with a little bit of vanilla as well. A thorough smoked malt flavor comes through representing the bacon. There is no concern of it being too smokey, a fear I often have with beers that use smoked malts. What is truly amazing is how each sip provides a new angle on the combination of coffee, maple syrup, and smoke. Each flavor develops more thoroughly with each sip, making this a glass that never gets boring.

Each sip is truly a full bodied treat. It is so thick and viscous, with a light and creamy carbonation. It is definitely sweet, sticky, and syrupy, and more than a little over the top.

This beer impressed me even more than the Maple Bacon Coffee Porter, which is saying something. I would love to have a fresh bottle to compare.

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

ottle thanks to my good friends at the Buddha. WoW, what a freakin’ nose!!! Outrageously intense smoked maple and coffee aromas. Joan Jett black pour with a small tan head. Great balance and as complex as an Arthur Conan Doyle novel. Bold roasted coffee flavors which quickly give way to intense maple, roasted malt, chocolate, and vanilla flavors. I need to run this side by side with the original. Just another stunner from Kevin, Ryan, and the Buddha crew. BRAVO...

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

On tap at Churchville Inn.

Black pour, with a rich tan head. Everything in MBCP's aroma was here as well. Smooth coffee, cocoa, hints of smoke and maple--not quite as much maple as in those OG bottles, but oh well, this was still tantalizing. Smooth cold-press coffee in the taste, dark chocolate, dark malts, sugary maple sensation somewhat subtle and/or muddled in the mix, hints of smoke in the background. About the same as MBCP overall...and that goes for the booziness too. Imperial as it may be, the drinkability is just as easy-going, and it sure doesn't feel like 10.5%.

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

Release day at the funky Buddha and just finished my 3rd glass. It is if course delicious just like the original is. The only difference I have noticed and what makes this a 4.5 and not a 5.0 is that the nose is not as maple smelling as the original is. Not a complaint at all as I am about to go back for my 4th glass, just an honest observation. How they got the taste to be almost exactly the same with the much higher alcohol % is a mystery to me, but Kevin and Ryan at the buddha sure know what the heck they are doing when it comes to brewing a wonderful beer. Well worth the drink if u can get it, my bottle to take home has been spoken for for weeks now!

4.51/5  rDev -0.2%

Bottle 30/50...Big thanks to Casey for this... dark brown body with not much carbonation... the nose is outstanding, so much is going on, super strong notes of maple and roasted coffee, they play perfectly off each other... the taste is more refined than the nose, simply outstanding melding of maple and coffee, a bit of molasses, the maple is so sweet but the roasted bitterness of the coffee balances... I could drink about a half bottle of this, but would get too sweet after awhile... worth trying

4.52/5  rDev 0%

on tap at EBF

Pours a clouded nutty brown color with a crop of tanned head on top. Retains nicely on top of the pour, leaving patches of lacing behind.

Powerful, aromatic nose with rich maple syrup, chocolate and touches of smoke. Coffee beans and roasty malts with a touch of booze and sweetness.

Rich and smooth up front with coffee and maple syrup. Heavy malt backbone followed by edges of smoke and bacon-like flavors. Some vanilla tones with chocolate. Nutty and roasty with some alcohol warmth.

Full bodied, milder carbonation, insanely creamy and soft on the tongue. This one just lives up to the hype, there's no two ways about it.

4.54/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Tasted at the GRAND OPENING of the Funky Buddha Homebrew Store (located directly next door to the Brewery) and the release of their Imperial Maple Bacon Coffee Porter.

10 oz pour from the tap into my Bon Beer Voyage snifter member Funky Buddha Lounge & Brewery snifter glass.

A: This beer pours a dark brown, almost black with a very thin layer of beige foam, leaving no lacing on my glass.

S: The nose was what you would expect from the name, roasted coffee, maple and hints of smoked bacon.

T: The taste was a little more intense than the nose, with the roasted coffee and the maple sharing equally as the stars of this brew and the smoked bacon playing second fiddle. This beer was very well balanced with it not being too sweet, which you might have expected from the maple.

M: This beer had a medium to thick mouthfeel with an extremely low level of carbonation; it finished with a very pleasant slickness on the palate and a nice warmth from the alcohol.

D&O: The drinkability was excellent as it went down nice and easy for a 10.5%abv brew.

Overall, if you liked the “regular” Maple Bacon Coffee Porter, you will not want to miss this one. I liked this Imperial version better, as my palate like the balance of this one more. I hope they will be brewing this one again!!

Wide Awake It's Morning from Funky Buddha Brewery