Wide Awake It's Morning - Funky Buddha Brewery

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

Beer added by: Habmike on 04-01-2011

Imperial Maple Bacon Coffee Stout
4.79/5  rDev +6.7%

Bottle 24/50, dated 6/26/2011.

Pours black without any head, even with a vigorous pour.

Wow, smells incredible. Huge maple syrup, and dark roast coffee with smokiness. My tasting partner notes offal/bacon. A little chocolate, cream, a touch of fruit/jam, and roasted malts. The aroma filled the room once I opened it. Unbelievable stuff.

Tastes of sweet maple combined with chocolate and a ton of dark roast coffee. Light bacon smoke as well. The first taste was very sweet, but the more I sip it the less sweet it is, and definitely not as sweet as the aroma suggests. Really delicious and drinkable. Alcohol is well hidden, leaves my mouth dry.

Medium to full body with moderate carbonation for the style. Doesn't make it feel too syrupy, smooth mouthfeel.

Overall, very impressive beer. So much complexity to the nose and taste. I was worried I held onto it too long and the flavors would fade, but they are still going strong.

4.74/5  rDev +5.6%

Wide awake is an incredible brew. Rosy brown and dark with no head, beautiful smell, maple and alcohol but mostly strong coffee. Super roasty, lovely smooth taste, sugar, like hazelnut coffee with maple instead.

Smooth and creamy, big on the mouth, clean finish that is perfect about 4 ounces. Thanks Karl, thanks Mike, and thanks Al for the treat. Absolutely excellent. Trumps CBS.

3.57/5  rDev -20.5%

43rd Review
Bottle to snifter.
Bottle 29/50

From notes. Shared at the DL Variant + Others Tasting in Chicago back in October. Thanks to dimenhetfield for the trade.

A: Deep chocolate brown. Barely 0.5 fingernail (tan) head on vigorous pour.

S: Initially, I cannot decide if I like this or hate it. Obviously it would be unfair to judge a beer on smell alone; however, this is quite unique...smokey, maple syrup, espresso, dark chocolate, brown sugar, and pancakes. Just kidding – there were no pancakes on the nose of this beer, but that’s what it makes me think of...a big burly breakfast. I cannot find the bacon in the smell, but am hopeful that comes later.

T: Complex. Very complex. Sweet and roasty. Rich. Up-front you get strong coffee notes intertwined with sweet malt and maple syrup. Bacon comes thru solo (mid-palate) and this is quite an interesting flavor for the beer. Finished off with a hint of caramel and vanilla which I thought was nice.

M: Full bodied and almost no carbonation. Potent after-taste that almost ruined the experience for me, but I can look past it.

O: This was a very unique beer to have at such a large tasting. Initially, I thought the beer might be off based on reactions from the crowd; however, once I "jumped into the beer", it was just really, really complex. The complexity actually amazes me; however, IMO it almost takes away from the actual point of the beer. Obviously there is a fine line between good and bad, but this one tip-toes the hanging wire. I had fun with this one though and tried to enjoy the experience as much as possible. As mentioned above, I would to take down a huge plate of breakfast with this beer. It is bold and big (a lot going on), but nothing that I would seek out going forward. Curious to see how the regular Maple Bacon Coffee Porter tastes in comparison to this, but my interest stops there.

Simply put...fun to try!

1.54/5  rDev -65.7%

Big thanks to spdyfire83 for bringing this to the table! 22oz bottle poured into a tulip...

Appearance: pours a dark, opaque brown. The thin head is gone quick. Virtually no lacing. Carbonation is fitting for a porter (this is a porter, right?!).

Aroma: This bottle had been cracked and was being passed around when I came back from a glass rinse...the maple had already infiltrated the entire room upon my return. I like maple, so now I'm excited! But then I get my pour, and the game changes dramatically. Despite the fact that I can still smell maple in the room, I get virtually none when I really get into my pour. I get the coffee and some smoke, but what dominates is this weird fucking vegetable smell. I've read reviews mentioning this but I'd never experienced it, so I just thought al those reviewers were daft. But here it is, and it overwhelmed the beer. Cooked celery, and maybe some bell pepper (?) were my associations. Seriously, the smell killed my beer boner most heinously.

Taste: Wow...gross. Acrid cheap coffee, some smoke characteristics. Overwhelmingly bitter. I only taste maple when I exhale after a sip. And then it gets worse...the aftertaste is unholy and punishing - it just doesn't stop sucking, it's amazing! It tastes like raw celery, and it lingers longer than a vegan fart.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation and body are appropriate for the style, but it's past the point of mattering.

Overall: I'm excited I had a chance to try this one, and I respect what the brewers are going for...but my experience with it was disappointing and unpleasant.

4.87/5  rDev +8.5%

BIG THANKS To darkguardian for this one!!!22oz bomber bottle number 6 of 50. I was torn whether or not to open this bad boy right away or to sit on it for a special occasion. After some comments I decided to open it last night. Man am I glad I did. The second I opened the bottle the maple syrup and coffee smell filled the room. I was a little worried after all the hype that I was gonna get a bad bottle but the inital smell is all good. I poured it into a darkness snifter and it poured black with some brown head that went away very fast. The smell is of roasted coffee and maple with some smokeyness. The taste is great alot smoother than I thought it was gonna be it's like breakfast in a beer. Mouthfeel could be a little thicker in my opinion(if you wanna split hairs). This beer was a little bittersweet because it was such an amazing beer and I wish I could have share it with someone, but I'm also happy I got the whole bottle to myself (minus a couple sips for my wife). After all was said and done my hands still reeked of maple syrup and my wife said my breath stank of dark coffee. ALL AROUND AN AMAZING BEER!!!! TOTALLY LIVED UP TO THE HYPE!!!

4.59/5  rDev +2.2%

10/23/2011

Big thanks for hooking me up with this want. The label says -3/50.

A: Black with a finger of light brown foam. Decent retention.

S: Huge maple and black coffee aroma with a light bacon smokiness. There's a little chocolate and earth, as well as moderately roasted malt. Exceptional nose. The maple is really great. An imperial breakfast in a glass.

T: Sweet maple blends with chocolate and a robust earthy coffee profile. Light bacon smoke and moderately roasted malt. Not as sweet as the aroma suggests, and not as sweet as MBCP. Really nice. Alcohol is really well hidden, I wouldn't guess this is over 6%.

M: Full body with upper moderate carbonation. The mouthfeel sticky and smooth.

Overall: Impressive stuff. More drinkable than the Maple Bacon Coffee Porter. Perhaps that's the age mellowing out the maple.

3.28/5  rDev -26.9%

Courtesy of the generous spdyfire83. Another whale I never thought I would try. Poured into a snifter.

A- Pours a dark brown with a thin head that dissipates into a thin cap. No lacing left behind.

S- Wow really intense bacon, vegetables..perhaps bell peppers? maple syrup, coffee grounds, dark chocolate, tobacco, roasted malt and some smokiness.

T- Meaty with bacon and sausage, sweet maple syrup, burnt caramel, old coffee grounds, tobacco, chocolate, roasted and smoked malt.

M- Medium carbonation and body. Finishes dry and bitter with some coffee grounds. The abv is hidden well.

O- This was just an intense beer with too much going on. Lot's of burnt coffee and smoke that reminded me of drinking cheap coffee at a diner. Overall, I admire their creativity, but I just don't think it was executed well.

3.43/5  rDev -23.6%

A: Slightly translucent dark brown. No head. No lacing.

S: Absolutely intense aroma of the exact ingredients listed in the name. The intensity of the aroma is almost unbelievable. Huge scents of sweet maple syrup, strong coffee, smoky bacon, and some lighter chocolate notes, all fighting for supremacy in my nose.

T: Tastes of chocolate and coffee with smoke in the background. Long lingering flavor of burnt coffee. Burnt caramel on the finish, but then comes along a light maple sweetness.

M: Medium bodied with light carbonation. Sweet with a smoky tannic ashtray bitterness.

O: It's rare that a beer makes me ask the age old question: WTF?, but this oddity did. It's certainly a unique beer that tastes and smells exactly as advertised on the label. Like breakfast in a blender. And while I do enjoy maple, bacon, and coffee, I'm not 100% convinced they all need to make an appearance in my beer to be appreciated.

4.29/5  rDev -4.5%

Bottle #34 of 50, courtesy of thagr81us during the South Carolina tasting. Whalish figure.

This one pours a near lifeless black, medium I'm body. Right off the bat you get hit in the face with aromas of maple syrup pancakes, smoked sausage, coffee, vanilla, and sweet chocolates. Crazy nose and very strong. You can smell it from ten feet away. The flavors are a nice mix of maple syrup drenched breakfast sausages, chocolate, vanilla beans, and light coffee. While very good, I may soon be Diabetic. The sugar is out of this world. It's drinkable but only at maybe half a bottle at a time. I can't take that much sugar. Very nice beer though and definitely unique. To think that a beer can accomplish such a complex nose is mind boggling. Great beer and excellent beer to tick.

3.53/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Dark black-brown body. Just a thin, but well defined, ring of khaki foam. Spotty sudsy lacing.

S: Maple syrup and burnt coffee. A bit of smoke and roast. Not particularly inviting or well developed.

T: Like the nose, coffee (both roasted and burnt) takes center stage. A bit of smoked malts, maple syrup, brown sugar, and chocolate.

M: Fairly thin for as much malt in the flavor. A weak, sloppy finish. Slightly over carbonated.

O: Eh, I just didn't get the appeal of this. I didn't get any bacon... and the smoke and coffee was rather boring. Give me Mikkeller's beer geek bacon anyday.

4.59/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours black with a tan head. Looks the look for a coffee porter. No surprises there.

This beer smells just as good as any beer I've ever had. Coffee beans, bacon and slight notes of smoke. It immediately makes me crave pancakes. Just incredible.

I get a ton of maple in the taste. There is also plenty of black coffee but the bacon takes a back seat. Perhaps a little on the back end. All of the ingredients are in concert. Medium body with low, albeit, perfect carbonation.

The beer was quite impressive. It was a perfect choice for the first hints of Autumn and would love the opportunity to revisit in the future.

3.52/5  rDev -21.6%

22oz. Capped bomber into a TJ's snifter. Thanks to CarbonIS for this one. Had at a tasting 9/4/11.

Black color. Ring of light mocha head with moderate retention. Spotty and sparse lace with very little cling.

Big coffee notes with some Chinese medicinal notes in the background. Some slight hints of maple in the background. No bacon. Strange. Very aromatic though.

Maple opening. Coffee notes towards the middle with chocolate and fudge. Bacon comes in sweet. More maple and coffee with some milky notes. Finish is sweet and slightly smoky. Aftertaste is more smoke and coffee bean bitterness. Not bad, but not great either.

Medium to full bodied and near flat. Smooth and oily in the mouth and smooth and viscous going down. Finish is messy with a lingering aftertaste. Good.

This is pretty much a novelty beer in my opinion. Very different than anything else I’ve ever had from the style but that doesn’t mean that it’s particularly good. After about the 3rd or 4th ounce, my palate had had enough. Decent, but forgettable.

4.27/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Standard imperial stout looking pour

Aroma is dominated by cappuccino and pancacke syrup. Very nice.

The flavor is very smooth, lots of chocolate and fresh brewed cappuccino. Pancake sweetness from the maple. Very light smokiness. Overall an impressive tasting beer for sure.

The body is nearly full and there is a nice creaminess.

Overall this beer is more impressive than it is drinkable for me. After a few ounces I am not really wanting more despite the great flavor. Seems to be a common story for imperial stouts lately.

4.92/5  rDev +9.6%

dark black, with a nice two inch tan head of lace and a great side glass contribution. Very thick looking. Huge chocolate and coffee aroma coming off of this, almost a vanilla like coffee, very sweet and rich aromas. The flavor was very full. Lots of roasted coffee mixed in with a light chocolate mix and a hint of a hoppy back, but just a hint. Very rich and creamy, this served up perfect for a dessert brew. It was a bit rough finishing the whole bottle as it is quite thick and very filling. Overall this was a great brew.

4.39/5  rDev -2.2%

From notes, 8-13-2011
Thanks a ton Cam, for sharing this treasure

A - black body, red edges and a tan ring of foam

S - Coffee, Maple, both brilliantly present and clear, some dark sweet flavors, chocolate, and banana.

T - complex sweetness, maple and coffee, and a touch of smoke. It's very sweet and becomes difficult to finish a medium sized sample, but it's damn tasty.

M - very smooth and fairly thick

O - Very good, quite interesting.

4.92/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured into my Darkness snifter.

Bottle 47/50

The most striking thing about this beer to me is the smell. Biggest nose on a beer to date. As soon as you open it the smell is unmistakeable. Breakfast sausage and maple syrup. Just like a sunday morning breakfast cookout. Even two feet away in my glass the heavy pounding of my olfactory nerves persists. Incredibly potent. And downright fuckin wonderful.

Thick used motor oil in a glass! No head whatsoever. The glass is stained wherever the liquid touches.

Taste is coffee, pork and syrup. Incredible. It's not too thick or chewy. It may sound awful but in truth it is possibly the best beer I've ever had.

In my eyes, a once in a lifetime beer. I felt like I had won the taste lottery. Hype is my kryptonite. I bought into this hype train hook, line and sinker. Good thing I did. This beer is ultimate win.

4.15/5  rDev -7.6%

So glad to try this, courtesy of Urbancaver (thanks Cam!). Bottle 50/50. This pours with almost no head, just a dark brown and opaque liquid. The smell is strong with maple syrup, good coffee aroma behind that. Actually the aroma is a little overwhelming and very enticing. No bacon in the aroma, too bad as that was a strong point in the non imperial version.

This tastes pretty strong and rich, really sweet upfront and a little cloying in the aftertaste. I'm not gonna say it tastes bad, because it's actually tasty for the most part, but this pales in comparison to Maple Bacon Coffee Porter. Norm actually poured the majority of his out while I watched in amazement, I guess that's a good indication that it gets a bit tiring.

Thickish mouthful, intense in every metric, but again I'd rather have the original.

4.44/5  rDev -1.1%

Thanks So much for this one Ryan.

Bottle 50 of 50

Pours a dark dark brown with a reddish tint. A tiny bit of tan head. Looks great. Before i can even finish looking the aroma hits strongly. Huuuge coffee and maple on the nose before i even put my nose near the glass. Incredible. Tastes coffee heavy with a wonderful maple prescence. It's a bit heavier and overpowering. I like the regular mbcp better but it's still quite tasty. Nice thick bubbly mouthfeel. Overall top notch

4.67/5  rDev +4%

Review #1000!!! Massive thanks goes out to beeruser for sharing this one with me and also my boy Jefe73 for sending me one of these as a surprise on my birthday! Bottle #44 of 50! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller flute. Poured pitch black with a half finger light tan head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, cofee, maple syrup, subtle smoke, and caramel. The flavor was of sweet malt, coffee, brown sugar, maple syrup, slight smoke, and subtle meat. It had a heavy feel on the palate with mild carbonation (almost a creamy texture). Overall this brew was nothing short of phenomenal. Now this is what I am talking about! I really wish they made a cologne out of this brew as I would wear it daily. The aroma on this thing is phenomenal and really robust as you can smell it from a completely different room (seriously!). The flavor, just like the aroma. The smokiness on this one added a REALLY nice aspect to the already stellar brew. The alcohol? Nowhere to be found... I hate this was such a small batch as I could eat/drink this for breakfast every morning. Just a great brew.

Wide Awake It's Morning from Funky Buddha Brewery