Wide Awake It's Morning - Funky Buddha Brewery

Beer added by: Habmike on 04-01-2011

Imperial Maple Bacon Coffee Stout

3.5/5  rDev -22.2%

4.97/5  rDev +10.4%

Original batch, kindly poured by the man himself into a FB snifter

A: Pours a big syrupy black color with a small khaki colored head. Retention isn't great, but with a high ABV it still looks evil

S: Damn, tons of sweet maple, coffee, and some burnt bacon. Simply amazing. The maple adds a whole new dimension to this beer that I never thought was possible

T: Much more balanced and refined that I expected. The bacon is less noticeable in the flavor, but the maple adds a pleasant flavor and balances the dark roast coffee. Thick body and dangerously drinkable. Not too much hop presence, but then again, that's not what you would want in a beer like this.

MF: Thick and chewy feel to it, sweet maple/coffee finish, low-medium carbonation. Alcohol is not detectable.

O: Overall, this is an amazing beer worthy of its hype. I have not had but one chance to get to FB since I am at school in SC since they have become a world-class brewery, but I will definitely make the effort now. Great job Funky Buddha!

4.62/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to Jason for sharing this one with me.

Bottle #27

Pours very dark, with a viscous, dark tan half-finger head that dissipates after 30 seconds or so.

This is easily among the best smelling beers I've encountered. Not to take away from the beer in any way, but the only way to describe it is like a McGriddle in a glass. It's amazing. My girlfriend commented when she came home (while we were drinking this) and said the whole house smelled great, like a pancake house. I'd give this 6/5 if I could.

Taste gets a 4.5 only because it doesn't match how great it smelled. The maple is there in force along with the coffee and a twinge of bacon at the end. Very delicious, but just not as well-harmonized as I'd like.

Mouthfeel is nice, low carbonation, low heat (especially considering the abv) and nice and dry.

Overall this was the most interesting beer of the night, and of recent memory. Extremely grateful for the opportunity to taste it and can only hope that it becomes less impossible to have in the future.

4.79/5  rDev +6.4%

Bottle 24/50, dated 6/26/2011.

Pours black without any head, even with a vigorous pour.

Wow, smells incredible. Huge maple syrup, and dark roast coffee with smokiness. My tasting partner notes offal/bacon. A little chocolate, cream, a touch of fruit/jam, and roasted malts. The aroma filled the room once I opened it. Unbelievable stuff.

Tastes of sweet maple combined with chocolate and a ton of dark roast coffee. Light bacon smoke as well. The first taste was very sweet, but the more I sip it the less sweet it is, and definitely not as sweet as the aroma suggests. Really delicious and drinkable. Alcohol is well hidden, leaves my mouth dry.

Medium to full body with moderate carbonation for the style. Doesn't make it feel too syrupy, smooth mouthfeel.

Overall, very impressive beer. So much complexity to the nose and taste. I was worried I held onto it too long and the flavors would fade, but they are still going strong.

4.74/5  rDev +5.3%

Wide awake is an incredible brew. Rosy brown and dark with no head, beautiful smell, maple and alcohol but mostly strong coffee. Super roasty, lovely smooth taste, sugar, like hazelnut coffee with maple instead.

Smooth and creamy, big on the mouth, clean finish that is perfect about 4 ounces. Thanks Karl, thanks Mike, and thanks Al for the treat. Absolutely excellent. Trumps CBS.

3.57/5  rDev -20.7%

43rd Review
Bottle to snifter.
Bottle 29/50

From notes. Shared at the DL Variant + Others Tasting in Chicago back in October. Thanks to dimenhetfield for the trade.

A: Deep chocolate brown. Barely 0.5 fingernail (tan) head on vigorous pour.

S: Initially, I cannot decide if I like this or hate it. Obviously it would be unfair to judge a beer on smell alone; however, this is quite unique...smokey, maple syrup, espresso, dark chocolate, brown sugar, and pancakes. Just kidding – there were no pancakes on the nose of this beer, but that’s what it makes me think of...a big burly breakfast. I cannot find the bacon in the smell, but am hopeful that comes later.

T: Complex. Very complex. Sweet and roasty. Rich. Up-front you get strong coffee notes intertwined with sweet malt and maple syrup. Bacon comes thru solo (mid-palate) and this is quite an interesting flavor for the beer. Finished off with a hint of caramel and vanilla which I thought was nice.

M: Full bodied and almost no carbonation. Potent after-taste that almost ruined the experience for me, but I can look past it.

O: This was a very unique beer to have at such a large tasting. Initially, I thought the beer might be off based on reactions from the crowd; however, once I "jumped into the beer", it was just really, really complex. The complexity actually amazes me; however, IMO it almost takes away from the actual point of the beer. Obviously there is a fine line between good and bad, but this one tip-toes the hanging wire. I had fun with this one though and tried to enjoy the experience as much as possible. As mentioned above, I would to take down a huge plate of breakfast with this beer. It is bold and big (a lot going on), but nothing that I would seek out going forward. Curious to see how the regular Maple Bacon Coffee Porter tastes in comparison to this, but my interest stops there.

Simply put...fun to try!

1.54/5  rDev -65.8%

Big thanks to spdyfire83 for bringing this to the table! 22oz bottle poured into a tulip...

Appearance: pours a dark, opaque brown. The thin head is gone quick. Virtually no lacing. Carbonation is fitting for a porter (this is a porter, right?!).

Aroma: This bottle had been cracked and was being passed around when I came back from a glass rinse...the maple had already infiltrated the entire room upon my return. I like maple, so now I'm excited! But then I get my pour, and the game changes dramatically. Despite the fact that I can still smell maple in the room, I get virtually none when I really get into my pour. I get the coffee and some smoke, but what dominates is this weird fucking vegetable smell. I've read reviews mentioning this but I'd never experienced it, so I just thought al those reviewers were daft. But here it is, and it overwhelmed the beer. Cooked celery, and maybe some bell pepper (?) were my associations. Seriously, the smell killed my beer boner most heinously.

Taste: Wow...gross. Acrid cheap coffee, some smoke characteristics. Overwhelmingly bitter. I only taste maple when I exhale after a sip. And then it gets worse...the aftertaste is unholy and punishing - it just doesn't stop sucking, it's amazing! It tastes like raw celery, and it lingers longer than a vegan fart.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation and body are appropriate for the style, but it's past the point of mattering.

Overall: I'm excited I had a chance to try this one, and I respect what the brewers are going for...but my experience with it was disappointing and unpleasant.

4.87/5  rDev +8.2%

BIG THANKS To darkguardian for this one!!!22oz bomber bottle number 6 of 50. I was torn whether or not to open this bad boy right away or to sit on it for a special occasion. After some comments I decided to open it last night. Man am I glad I did. The second I opened the bottle the maple syrup and coffee smell filled the room. I was a little worried after all the hype that I was gonna get a bad bottle but the inital smell is all good. I poured it into a darkness snifter and it poured black with some brown head that went away very fast. The smell is of roasted coffee and maple with some smokeyness. The taste is great alot smoother than I thought it was gonna be it's like breakfast in a beer. Mouthfeel could be a little thicker in my opinion(if you wanna split hairs). This beer was a little bittersweet because it was such an amazing beer and I wish I could have share it with someone, but I'm also happy I got the whole bottle to myself (minus a couple sips for my wife). After all was said and done my hands still reeked of maple syrup and my wife said my breath stank of dark coffee. ALL AROUND AN AMAZING BEER!!!! TOTALLY LIVED UP TO THE HYPE!!!

4.59/5  rDev +2%

10/23/2011

Big thanks for hooking me up with this want. The label says -3/50.

A: Black with a finger of light brown foam. Decent retention.

S: Huge maple and black coffee aroma with a light bacon smokiness. There's a little chocolate and earth, as well as moderately roasted malt. Exceptional nose. The maple is really great. An imperial breakfast in a glass.

T: Sweet maple blends with chocolate and a robust earthy coffee profile. Light bacon smoke and moderately roasted malt. Not as sweet as the aroma suggests, and not as sweet as MBCP. Really nice. Alcohol is really well hidden, I wouldn't guess this is over 6%.

M: Full body with upper moderate carbonation. The mouthfeel sticky and smooth.

Overall: Impressive stuff. More drinkable than the Maple Bacon Coffee Porter. Perhaps that's the age mellowing out the maple.

3.28/5  rDev -27.1%

Courtesy of the generous spdyfire83. Another whale I never thought I would try. Poured into a snifter.

A- Pours a dark brown with a thin head that dissipates into a thin cap. No lacing left behind.

S- Wow really intense bacon, vegetables..perhaps bell peppers? maple syrup, coffee grounds, dark chocolate, tobacco, roasted malt and some smokiness.

T- Meaty with bacon and sausage, sweet maple syrup, burnt caramel, old coffee grounds, tobacco, chocolate, roasted and smoked malt.

M- Medium carbonation and body. Finishes dry and bitter with some coffee grounds. The abv is hidden well.

O- This was just an intense beer with too much going on. Lot's of burnt coffee and smoke that reminded me of drinking cheap coffee at a diner. Overall, I admire their creativity, but I just don't think it was executed well.

3.43/5  rDev -23.8%

A: Slightly translucent dark brown. No head. No lacing.

S: Absolutely intense aroma of the exact ingredients listed in the name. The intensity of the aroma is almost unbelievable. Huge scents of sweet maple syrup, strong coffee, smoky bacon, and some lighter chocolate notes, all fighting for supremacy in my nose.

T: Tastes of chocolate and coffee with smoke in the background. Long lingering flavor of burnt coffee. Burnt caramel on the finish, but then comes along a light maple sweetness.

M: Medium bodied with light carbonation. Sweet with a smoky tannic ashtray bitterness.

O: It's rare that a beer makes me ask the age old question: WTF?, but this oddity did. It's certainly a unique beer that tastes and smells exactly as advertised on the label. Like breakfast in a blender. And while I do enjoy maple, bacon, and coffee, I'm not 100% convinced they all need to make an appearance in my beer to be appreciated.

4.29/5  rDev -4.7%

Bottle #34 of 50, courtesy of thagr81us during the South Carolina tasting. Whalish figure.

This one pours a near lifeless black, medium I'm body. Right off the bat you get hit in the face with aromas of maple syrup pancakes, smoked sausage, coffee, vanilla, and sweet chocolates. Crazy nose and very strong. You can smell it from ten feet away. The flavors are a nice mix of maple syrup drenched breakfast sausages, chocolate, vanilla beans, and light coffee. While very good, I may soon be Diabetic. The sugar is out of this world. It's drinkable but only at maybe half a bottle at a time. I can't take that much sugar. Very nice beer though and definitely unique. To think that a beer can accomplish such a complex nose is mind boggling. Great beer and excellent beer to tick.

3.53/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Dark black-brown body. Just a thin, but well defined, ring of khaki foam. Spotty sudsy lacing.

S: Maple syrup and burnt coffee. A bit of smoke and roast. Not particularly inviting or well developed.

T: Like the nose, coffee (both roasted and burnt) takes center stage. A bit of smoked malts, maple syrup, brown sugar, and chocolate.

M: Fairly thin for as much malt in the flavor. A weak, sloppy finish. Slightly over carbonated.

O: Eh, I just didn't get the appeal of this. I didn't get any bacon... and the smoke and coffee was rather boring. Give me Mikkeller's beer geek bacon anyday.

4.59/5  rDev +2%

Pours black with a tan head. Looks the look for a coffee porter. No surprises there.

This beer smells just as good as any beer I've ever had. Coffee beans, bacon and slight notes of smoke. It immediately makes me crave pancakes. Just incredible.

I get a ton of maple in the taste. There is also plenty of black coffee but the bacon takes a back seat. Perhaps a little on the back end. All of the ingredients are in concert. Medium body with low, albeit, perfect carbonation.

The beer was quite impressive. It was a perfect choice for the first hints of Autumn and would love the opportunity to revisit in the future.

3.52/5  rDev -21.8%

22oz. Capped bomber into a TJ's snifter. Thanks to CarbonIS for this one. Had at a tasting 9/4/11.

Black color. Ring of light mocha head with moderate retention. Spotty and sparse lace with very little cling.

Big coffee notes with some Chinese medicinal notes in the background. Some slight hints of maple in the background. No bacon. Strange. Very aromatic though.

Maple opening. Coffee notes towards the middle with chocolate and fudge. Bacon comes in sweet. More maple and coffee with some milky notes. Finish is sweet and slightly smoky. Aftertaste is more smoke and coffee bean bitterness. Not bad, but not great either.

Medium to full bodied and near flat. Smooth and oily in the mouth and smooth and viscous going down. Finish is messy with a lingering aftertaste. Good.

This is pretty much a novelty beer in my opinion. Very different than anything else I’ve ever had from the style but that doesn’t mean that it’s particularly good. After about the 3rd or 4th ounce, my palate had had enough. Decent, but forgettable.

Wide Awake It's Morning from Funky Buddha Brewery