No Crusts - Funky Buddha Brewery

Funky Buddha Brewery visit their website
Florida, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.40% ABV

Beer added by: dimenhetfield on 06-11-2011

Peanut butter and jelly brown ale
to view more.
Ratings: 415 | Reviews: 90
Reviews by Mikeypnh:
2.41/5  rDev -42.5%

Thanks to Urbancaver for pulling this one out on his visit.

Being the average middle class kid, raised solely on PB&J for the better part of 12 years, I was stoked to try this one. Furthermore, the rarity of it and relative trade frenzy around it made me curious to say the least.

In the glass... It just looked like your basic brown ale, maybe even a little light in color. On the nose... yup, it smelled exactly like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I mean dead on. First taste... wtf?

I dont know how the nose was so spot on when it tasted so badly. Widly over carbonated, it just tasted like prickly peanut seltzer. The beer had little to no body, no "jelly" of and kind and a weak seltzer-like after taste. I took another sip... Yup. Exactly the same. This just tasted like a gimmicky beer that slipped out for trade bait. Glad I didn't bite.

I wanted this to be good, I really did. But it wasn't. It was easily the worst beer at the share. Hopefully the other Funky Buddha beers are worth a damn. Not that I would trade for any of them.

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

An ale that tastes and smells just like the iconic sandwich! Starting with the intense aroma of creamy peanut butter mingling with mixed berry jam. Just like mom used to make!

Such an interesting beer. I've had several things from Funky Buddha and I'm looking forward to my first sip of No Crusts. I have heard fantastic things about it. I had the Bonita Applebum for the first time yesterday and I was blown away by that; and people were saying 'It's great, but it's no No Crusts'.

4.3/5  rDev +2.6%

Thanks to ericandersnavy for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a brownish color with a tan head. The aroma is very nice. I get a lot of peanut butter notes with some grape jelly notes. Someone at the table also said they thought the beer smelled like refried pinto beans, which I could see after using some imagination.

The flavor has a lot of peanut butter and hazelnut character to it. I also get a lot of caramel and toffee with some cocoa mixed in. Once again, there is a little bit of jelly character to the flavor. Somewhat surprisingly, this beer definitely reminds me of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

This is what I imagine Short's was aiming for when they brewed PB&J. If they could ever release a batch that wasn't infected, maybe I could confirm that.

4.81/5  rDev +14.8%

On tap at EBF 2012. I just wrote a long review and then lost it due to Internet issues so I'll be brief.

A: a reggie brown ale, small white head.

S: OMGWTFBBQPBJ it smells like a PB&J's all day, it's crazy you just need to smell it to get how much it smells like it.

T: well, PB&J and that's it really, it's so overwhelming that I couldn't get anything else.

M: a bit light and crisp, but the flavor is what this beer is about so it's fairly appropriate.

O: amazing, never had another brew like it.

4.17/5  rDev -0.5%

22oz bottle into a pint glass. Pour reveals a reddish-brown color with a tan head. Foam reduces to a thin cap that is present throughout.

The smell is chunky, nutty peanut butter with a huge dose of jam. It captures the essence of a PB&J much moreso than our friends at Short's did.

The taste is pretty heavy on strawberry jam while cold. It tastes almost like licking a knife after spreading jam on white bread. Not near as enticing as the aroma leads on. As it warms, you get much of the salty, now creamy peanut spread on the front end and slight jam on the back end. Definitely better as you sip. There's a nice white bread crust element I'm picking up as well.

This beer is perfectly carbonated and very drinkable. All in all, this is a treat. No problems polishing off the bomber and I would drink again if the opportunity arises.

4.33/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to awdturboiv for sharing.

S - Smells like goober grape exactly. Good pb presence with nice balance of jelly 4.76

T - Tastes like like a nutter butter with a light grape jelly. The brown ale comes in near the back end to give it a light malty and orange peel presence

M - Lighter body with good carbonation

O - Good beer that tastes just as advertised. Imagine someone spreading grape jelly on top of a nutter butter and you get this beer. It is good but just like the Kuhnhenn breakfast beers about a glass of this is enough.

2.36/5  rDev -43.7%

From 32 oz growler...Smelled and tasted infected

2.78/5  rDev -33.7%

This is a grape jelly heavy beer with a faint hint of peanut butter at the end. The aftertaste will linger with you for several hours after, which doesn't lend itself well to its enjoyment.

The color is solid and aroma matches the jelly flavor, but it could have done with more peanut butter flavor.

Very light in body and an easy drinking beer.

On tap at the St. Petersburg Cask Ale Festival.

A - Dark brownbody with a sizable head and good retention and lacing.

S - Smells like peanut butter and a hint of jelly. How do these breweries make these gimmicky beers? There's also a hint of tobacco in the aroma.

T - Jelly! Peanut butter from the nose and jelly in the taste. Really does taste like peanut butter and jelly. A little bitter in the finish, but still remarkable.

M - Light-medium bodied with medium carbonation. It has a lingering dryness. I get the feeling that a lot of these spiced, weird tasting beers will be a bit dry.

O - Smells like peanut butter and tastes like jelly. Good for what it is, but it's still a gimmick.

4.42/5  rDev +5.5%

Massive thanks goes out to my boy beeruser this one as a part of my birthday weekend! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller flute. Poured red-brown with a half finger light tan head that subsided to a minimal amount slowly. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, peanut butter, jelly, and bread. The flavor was of sweet malt, peanut butter, jelly, bread, and subtle fruit. It had a mild feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was an excellent brew. If I am honest, this thing really did taste and smell like a PB&J sandwich... Almost scary how close it was. The peanut butter flavor sticks to your palate well after you sip is taken (almost like it is stuck to the roof of your mouth). No a lot bad can be said about this beer in any way, shape, or form. Really glad I got the chance to try this one!

2.81/5  rDev -32.9%

22 oz poured to my Lost Abbey tumbler. Thanks dboon!

Pours a charred brown color with a very light tan head that climbs to the top of the glass at the blink of an eye. I poured maybe 3 ounces and the glass was filled with foam. After it settled, I poured very carefully and got about 8 ounces before it was near climbing over the top of the glass.

The smell is incredible. After smelling the first time, you can't believe what you just smelled coming out of this beer. It's like you're 6 years old all over again. Gobs of peanut butter, wheat bread, slight hint of strawberry jam. The peanut butter aroma has a great roasted quality to it.

Taste is upfront with the roasted peanuts. The bread character is very overwhelming in this beer. It takes over and lets slight strawberry spill through once it warms.

Mouthfeel is too light with an insane amount of carbonation. It is like drinking coke straight from the can. Almost offensive. Impossible to take down in large quantities.

Overall, I can see what they were going for. I personally didn't like it too much, but I applaud them for their creativity. I'm glad I got to try this beer and see what all the hype is about.

4.89/5  rDev +16.7%

On-tap at Brewvival 2012

Pours a dark amber with a thin white ring. Oh my goodness. Straight-up PB&J. This is sick. Earthy peanuts, roasted malt, baked bread, and grape jelly. You can make out every distinct aromas in this beer. Wonka-esque. Taste is similarly impressive, and once again you can taste each individual component somehow. Roasted peanuts, sweet grape jelly, toasted bread. Insane. Mouthfeel is smooth and slightly sticky, with a medium body and good carbonation. Hands-down the highlight of the day. Amazing doesn't even begin to describe it. I want more.

4.38/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

dark brown pour, just menacing looking with a huge tan head that just towered over the top of the glass. Fading slowly it left behind tons of side glass lacing and a huge amount of spider like webs. Aroma was sweet and spicy at the same time. Notes of rye, brown sugar, molasses like touches and hints of coffee are all coming through very clearly. Each sip now seem to get a bit more complex then the one before it, really very well done here. Rich chocolate notes blending well now with huge malts and a touch of rye that are just fantastic. Light suagry finish with a touch of hops in the back, just enough to push it over the edge for me. ABV is very well hidden and had no issues at all with polishing this one off.

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very impressive effort here, just tried a bit at EBF15, but clearly a legit take on PB&J ale - sounded off to me at first, but it's actually very well done. Would absolutely seek this out if it were ever available in Maine!

4.32/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served on-tap into a 5.5 oz snifter at Capone's. Funky Buddha event for Philly Beer Week.

A: Dark amber colored body with some brownish hues throughout the body. The darker color gives this one a hazy looking appearance, nothing much to see through. A small off-white head was there but gone quickly. Little retention and lace.

S: Toasted white bread, grape jelly, chunky peanut butter, oil and a general buttery aroma. It's literally dead-on to the incarnation of a PB&J sandwich. Not as potent as I would have expected but still really nice smelling.

T: It took a few sips to get all the flavors. Like others have stated, it almost was like it separated into different layers. Perhaps the oils from the peanuts caused this? At any rate, big crusty, bready flavors up front along with a sweet grape jelly. Towards the bottom was creamy, nutty peanut butter. Not too sweet and just downright delicious.

M: Nicely carbonated, medium-bodied, oily and a bit of stick from the fruit sweetness. For the ABV and style, this seemed just about right.

My only comparison to a PB&J beer is from Spring House Brewing Company and they're both awesome incarnations of the classic childhood sandwich. An absolute must try if you get the chance. Thanks for sending the awesome beers to Philly guys!

4.42/5  rDev +5.5%

I had this during the EBF, I was able to have several pours.

Appearance: Pours a reddish dark amber with a finger of off white head and a good amount of retention.

Smell: Nutty and full of fresh peanut butter. There is a slight malty sweetness and a hint of fruit.

Taste: The peanut butter dominates here as well. There is some fruit showing up, but no real tartness. The malt gives this one a bready flavor that works very well with the other tastes. Tastes like a PB&J.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with fluffy carbonation and a dry finish that seems to be very appropriate for the flavor.

Overall: This is an awesome beer. I wouldn't want to drink it every day, but when I'm in the mood for a beer that tastes like peanut butter and jelly, this would be my go to.

3.35/5  rDev -20%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Enjoyed at EBF 2014. Second of 2 peanut butter beers that disappointed me (and there was only 2 at EBF!).

I am a major peanut butter freak (every morning for breakfast) and was all over this when i saw it. Has more of the jelly than the peanut butter in the aroma and flavor. I like the creaminess of it but the body could have been fuller to better showcase the flavors. Interesting mesh but once again, lack of peanut butter makes a brew less than what it is advertised as.

3.69/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Had this on the eve of the August 27th JO's bottle release. Big thanks to Cam for bringing this. ~2-3 oz from a tasting snifter.

3.5 A: Hazed light brown color. One finger frothy light beige head.

4.5 S: This certainly delivers on the name. Tons of grape jelly. Crunchy peanut butter behind that. Light breadiness indicative of an actual PBJ.

3.5 T: As good as the nose is, the taste is disappointing. It is still a good beer, but it tastes watered down. Way less jelly and a lot less peanut butter. Still a PBJ, put one using light peanut butter and sugar free jelly.

3.0 M: Light to lighter medium body. Over carbonated by a decent amount. This is the major failure of this beer. I logically crave a chewy, stick to your mouthtop type of body - rich and velvety, but that isn't what I got.

3.5 D: Good beer, but the mouthfeel is far too light and the taste is lacking power.

3.37/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

From tap to snifter at ChurchKey DC on 6/7/12
*From notes

A: Chill hazy amber in hue. Kinda looks like a Rauchbier, if that was something a beer can actually look like. No real head, collar or lacing are present.

S: Boiled peanuts, which is one of my least favorite things in the world. Tea leaves follow, as does a hint of milk cocoa. As it warms, the "boiled" characteristics wear off a bit, and this does come around to being a bit more balanced. A very, very faint touch of red fruit lingers back there somewhere.

T: Peanuts, and lots of 'em. I'm also getting a bit of warm bath water. I doubt that was intentional. The mid to finish showcases some grape-like qualities. And it lingers. Some earth, and a bit of vine fruit sticks around after each sip. The biggest issue with the flavor profile is the lack of freshness. It's like a PB&J that's been sitting in my fridge for a few days, not just freshly made.

M: As with all of the FB beers this evening, this is yet again thin and undercarbonated. The lack of real texture or body puts a hurtin' on this one.

O: Not quite the stunner I was expecting. There's nothing directly wrong with the nose or flavors here, yet this isn't as expressive as I would have liked. A decent gimmick beer, no more.

2.67/5  rDev -36.3%

After opening this begins to gush at a rapid pace. Not a good sign generally. Looks like cola with a small head.

Aroma is...a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. WITH crusts....shame on you for false advertising haha

The flavor is bready and metallic with slight notes of jam and peanuts. I like the peanut and jelly flavor, but those metallic notes kill it. I assume that it is probably a result of time spent in the bottle (much like Short's bottle failures) and is better fresh from the source. I would advise that this one is not bottled anymore.

The body is thin to medium and appropriate for a brown ale.

Overall, the beer I am drinking is just not that good. I would love to try a keg at the source though.

4.09/5  rDev -2.4%

Served on tap into a snifter at Capones

A- pours dark brown, with no head on it. Huh.

S- aroma is strong with peanuts, and the nutty character is great

T- starts off sweet with the jelly taste, with the peanut butter flavors also coming through. Actually getting a little bit of cocoa in the finish.

M- very thin body...probably good, given how strong the flavors are

O- if you're looking for a PBJ beer, this will do it for you. It's a nice novelty, but I'm not sure I could really drink more than one in a sitting

4.24/5  rDev +1.2%

Thanks to dboon for this one.

A-Pours hazy nut brown with over 2 inches of foamy khaki head. Takes a few minutes to recede, and leaves only the faintest traces of lacing.

S-Remarkably similar to a whole wheat peanut butter and jelly sandwich. They nailed it. I wouldn't mistake this for anything else.

T/M-Again, peanut butter and jelly. They actually did it! I'm impressed. Mid-palate the peanut butter and jelly flavors fade into the flavor profile of a standard nut brown ale. Medium bodied, with moderate carbonation and a chunky peanut butter finish.

O-Great beer. Would love to get some more bottles.

4.24/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours brown with reddish hue and a foamy head that quickly dissapates.

Wow. This smells incredible, like a straight up PBJ sandwich. Tons of peanuts, bread, raspberries and strawberry jam. Unbelievable aroma.

Doesn't taste quite as good as it smells. Basically peanut butter and jelly on whole wheat bread. The strawberry jam is well balanced with the roasty peanuts, very impressive.

Low to medium body a ton of carbonation. Almost like a can of soda.

Overall, the beer tastes great, but the smell is out of this world. A really interesting beer that I'd like to try again.

4.77/5  rDev +13.8%

When Ryan first mentioned this beer to me months ago I was shaking my head thinking there is no way. I couldn't have been more wrong.

Pours a mild brown with vibrant crimson hues when held up to the light. A pillowy 1 finger head that disappears leaving a glassy top with an ever so slight cream ring around the edge of the glass.

Smells fan-freakin-tastic. If I was blind I would think mom put a peanut but and jelly sandwich in front of me. Really brings back memories of mom fixing an after snack after a long day of horsin around outside with Ur friends. Quite nostalgic!

No way the taste could live up to the nose right? WRONG! Idk what else can be said other than I'm eating a pb&j right now. Smooth creamy peanut butter, wonderfully fruity grape jelly and oddly enough a toasted bread flavor that makes the beer incredibly unique

Mouthfeel like all Buddha beers is incredible not super thick and not to thin just perfect

Overall I'm supremely impressed with this beer. As a homebrewer I've just found my next challenge. Great job guys!

4.4/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Dark coppertinted brown, full fluffy khaki bubbles, decent retention. As advertised, leads with a combination of fresh roasted and ground nuts, creamy peanut butter, notes of dark berries solid but not as in force as the nuttyness with a bready malt backbone. Taste brings a more balanced combination of nuts and fruit, bready malts still present with some moderate toast charachter. Medium bodied, creamy. Another fantastic food-centric brew from these guys.

to view more.