Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

No Crusts - Funky Buddha Brewery

No CrustsNo Crusts

Funky Buddha Brewery visit their website
Florida, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.40% ABV

Beer added by: dimenhetfield on 06-11-2011

Peanut butter and jelly brown ale

Clarity: Clear for being Dark
Hue: Brownish/Red in color
Nose: Ughh Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich (Peanuts, Fruit, Bread)

No Crusts was released June 10th at the Funky Buddha in Boca Raton, FL.

This is exactly what a Peanut Butter and Jelly Beer should taste like. The nose leads to strong peanut butter with a slight hint of fruit. The taste has a nice attack of Jelly then then followed by the attack of the peanuts.

Unlike other beer that I have had with “peanut” flavoring, this beer doesn’t lay around and linger on your palate.

A true treat.

While I wouldn't be able to drink a bunch of these in one sitting, I will say that there isn't a single thing I would change about this beer. (718 characters)

I have had the opportunity to have this beer on several different occasions on tap at the Buddha and each time I drink it I am amazed and very impressed. I could smell this beer all day long.

Upon drinking the beer, it has the perfect balance of the peanut taste as well as the fruity jelly taste. It is great that the base beer is a brown ale as I don't believe it would taste as good with a porter.

I don't feel that I could drink more than one of these in a sitting, but it is definitely a nice treat for a change. I will take this beer over a PB&J sandwich any day. The Buddha definitely nailed this beer spot on. (621 characters)

On tap multiple times at the funky buddha.

I can some up the review for this beer in 1 sentence, even though most people would want to write paragraphs on it....

It tastes just like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich!

Ok i'll write a little more. The nose on this beer is beyond belief 10 years ago of what I thought a beer could be. Go to a store that has the machine that grinds peanut butter in front of you and stick your nose as close as you can to it, that is exactly what this beer smells like and tastes like! (520 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +19.5%

Had this one on tap several times at the Funky Buddha last weekend for their Wide Awake Its Morning release. Words can not describe how perfectly they nailed everything about this beer, you just have to taste it.

A - Pours a sort of reddish brown with a very small tan head that quickly fades and left minimal lacing as I savored every sip of this one.

S - Bam!! As every other review has stated so far, this smells like a straight up PB&J sandwich. I can't believe how blown away I was on the smell alone...couldn't wait to take my first sip. Loads of peanut buttery goodness in the nose which is followed up by the sweet smell of raspberry.

T - Just like mom used to make. Incredible! I can't believe the way they've managed to blend these flavors and pull of PB&J in a glass. You get lots of creamy, roasted peanut flavor up front and then the jelly sweetness moves right in as you finish your sip. Notes of raspberry, strawberry and grape are present here and are balanced perfectly with the residual nuttiness on the back end. Perfection!

M - Medium body with a nice level of carbonation. Again, everything is perfectly balanced.

O - It has been awhile since I tasted a beer that floored me just on one sip alone. The creativity in this beer is amazing and I wish everyone could taste this just once. Nice job, Funky Buddha! (1,335 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

Deep brown body with mahogany edges and a thin off-white head that quickly turned to lace. The aroma exudes peanut butter and bready sweetness. Reminds me of the PB&J sandwiches I lived off of in Middle school. Flavor delivers a bold peanut butter note with a fruity strawberry-like finish. Plenty of residual peanut flavor in the aftertaste but the flash of fruit comes through nicely. Sweet underlying toasted grain and maybe some subtle caramel. Medium bodied with decent carbonation. Juicy mouthfeel with a slightly dry finish. Absolutely spot on in flavor. PB&J in a bottle. Simple and not as cloying as I thought it might be. Amazed at how well put together this is. Funky Buddha does it again.  (702 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +17.5%

On-tap at Brewvival 2012

Pours a dark amber with a thin white ring. Oh my goodness. Straight-up PB&J. This is sick. Earthy peanuts, roasted malt, baked bread, and grape jelly. You can make out every distinct aromas in this beer. Wonka-esque. Taste is similarly impressive, and once again you can taste each individual component somehow. Roasted peanuts, sweet grape jelly, toasted bread. Insane. Mouthfeel is smooth and slightly sticky, with a medium body and good carbonation. Hands-down the highlight of the day. Amazing doesn't even begin to describe it. I want more. (571 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Who doesnt love PB&J

A: as expected for a good brown ale, nice lacing

S: smell is incredible.. blindfold me and make me smell a PB&J sandwich and this beer and I'd probably pick the beer. It's perfectly identical, if not better, than the real sandwich

T: taste is exactly with the same as smell. The first time I ever had this beer it was perfection in a glass, the following batches have been hit or miss but ever since FB bought a big brewhouse it's been on point

M: again, as expected for a good brown

Overall: I'd drink this till I die. (545 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +17.1%

Sitting here with the Buddha family. Tasting some goodies. Ryan handed me this unlabeled bottled. Let's see whats up.

A: solid murky nut brown with a little stickiness and a fair head.

S: what the heck... It smells like someone is holding a beer pb and j under my nose. If I was blind folded... I honestly could not tell the difference. I am shocked.

T: great taste. Peanut up front then grape jelly all over the place with a mild roasted nut finish. This is creative brewing at it's best.
Well done.

M: medium feel. Pretty standard for a brown. Could be a pinch more chewy, but still good.

O: this beer totally nails what they are going for. Its pretty much dead on. Great job guys. Very creative.

This review is dedicated to my good friend "Pete". (755 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +17.1%

I had this at Uncle Barry's during Philly Beer Week.

The beer comes in a dark brown.

The aroma has literally what the beer is supposed to be a perfect balance of roasted peanut and grape jelly. There are some other dark berries in there as well. It's a delicious and unique aroma.

As for the flavor, the jelly comes and then roasted peanut. It starts off with a huge grape jelly sweetness, then a gentle roasted malt and peanut roundness.

The body is medium and very drinkable.

This beer really surprises you. My mind blown by this beer. Heady as done that and maybe KBS, but this too. It's wild how complex this beer and really balances the flavors so perfectly. I'm not even a big fan of PB&J, but there's something about getting those flavors just rolling and bouncing all over your tongue.

Never tasted a beer like this at all. Mind blowing. (852 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +17.1%

This beer is just redonkulous. People were telling me that it was exactly like a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich, but I was still a little skeptical. I'm now a true believe that everything about this beer is straight up a PB&J in a glass. The aroma and flavor is just so spot on that is nuts, literally. The peanuts are pretty dominate here but once you take your first sip you get the sweet jelly flavor as well. Needless to say this beer is awesome and I highly recommend it. Takes you right back to childhood. (514 characters)

4.81/5  rDev +15.6%

On tap at EBF 2012. I just wrote a long review and then lost it due to Internet issues so I'll be brief.

A: a reggie brown ale, small white head.

S: OMGWTFBBQPBJ it smells like a PB&J's all day, it's crazy you just need to smell it to get how much it smells like it.

T: well, PB&J and that's it really, it's so overwhelming that I couldn't get anything else.

M: a bit light and crisp, but the flavor is what this beer is about so it's fairly appropriate.

O: amazing, never had another brew like it. (503 characters)

4.81/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is the best peanut butter beer I've ever had.

It really tastes exactly like peanut butter and jelly and toasted bread. Amazing and perfectly crafted. So good! (165 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +14.9%

On draft @ Funky Buddha

No carbonation, head or lacing, the reason for average on appearance. Something about bubbles and head, takes my eyes to a happy place. Seriously tastes and smells like a PB&J sandwich after coming out of a blender. Incredibly unique. Not thick making it easy drinking, until the sweetness in it creeps up. Somewhat difficult finishing the last bit of my second one. A must try for any beer drinker, even if liquid PB&J is not your speed... (465 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +14.7%

When Ryan first mentioned this beer to me months ago I was shaking my head thinking there is no way. I couldn't have been more wrong.

Pours a mild brown with vibrant crimson hues when held up to the light. A pillowy 1 finger head that disappears leaving a glassy top with an ever so slight cream ring around the edge of the glass.

Smells fan-freakin-tastic. If I was blind I would think mom put a peanut but and jelly sandwich in front of me. Really brings back memories of mom fixing an after snack after a long day of horsin around outside with Ur friends. Quite nostalgic!

No way the taste could live up to the nose right? WRONG! Idk what else can be said other than I'm eating a pb&j right now. Smooth creamy peanut butter, wonderfully fruity grape jelly and oddly enough a toasted bread flavor that makes the beer incredibly unique

Mouthfeel like all Buddha beers is incredible not super thick and not to thin just perfect

Overall I'm supremely impressed with this beer. As a homebrewer I've just found my next challenge. Great job guys! (1,050 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Received this in a trade and poured into my Duvel tulip. Awesomely loud pop with this. Great!

A - Poured a nice dark, almost murky brown hue with a big offwhite almost two finger head that faded to leave light creamy blanket.

S - Aromas explode of peanut butter here. Enormous, enormous peanut butter...like taking a deep inhale from a jar, definitely get an almost wheat bread aroma too. My only real complaint here would be how faint the jelly notes are. The mixed berry/grape jelly notes are on the fainter side. A touch more and this is a 5 all day. This is absolutely absurd.

T - Taste is a liquified peanut butter jelly sandwich. It is almost opposite of the nose. Starts with faint, faint wheat bread and a flash of grape jelly and then WHAM peanut butter. The peanut butter fades slightly as jelly comes back. It's like I'm chewing on a sandwich, the flavours mixing back and forth, back and forth across my tongue. Some bread too comes back. My goodness this is crazy, just crazy.

M - Mouthfeel is lighter, nice carbonation for a 2+week old growler.

O - Overall, this beer blew me away. Absurd here..I really wanted to not like the taste after smelling how good it was (just because this beer isnt exactly easy to get) but my goodness. The base is basically lost (a 'brown ale') so one really cant base if off of that. Goodness was this awesome...and it was over 2 weeks old! (1,391 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +13.9%

A friend of mine told me that there was a beer that tasted just like peanut butter and jelly. Part of me thought that it would be terrible, but a much larger part of me wanted to have a glass. It is exactly what you would expect, the aroma is mostly peanut, but there is a fruit taste well blended with the peanut taste. In other words, it tastes exactly what you would want a peanut butter jelly beer to taste like. Personally I wouldn't have it as a session beer because I'm not a huge fan of jelly, but I think that everyone should have at least one glass of this beer. If you like peanut butter and jelly this beer is a must have. (634 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

On tap at the Lounge in Boca

A: Very dark brown, opaque, small light tan head, dissipates quickly no lacing. 4

S: Smells exactly like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Remarkable. 5

T: Like the nose, it's a great beer interpretation of PB&J. Lots of peanut butter and grape jelly. Some doughy white bread. Impressive. 4.75

M/D: Medium body, carbonation appropriate, drinkability is very good. 4.25

O: This is a pretty ridiculously impeccable beer version of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Doesn't even make sense how they are able to pull this off. On a day in which I enjoyed several great Funky Buddha beers including Maple Bacon Coffee Porter, this one was my favorite which says something. 4.75 (722 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

One of the best beers I've ever tasted, Period.

Taste is identical to the PB&J sandwich your mother used to pack in your school lunch.

Aroma is also of peanut and jelly.

Mouthfeel is creamy and delicious.

Overall, this is a fine American brown ale with delicious flavors and a distinct aroma that cannot be matched. (319 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Once I heard the Funky Buddha released this beer I rushed over to check it out. I didn't want to miss this one like I did the Maple Bacon Coffee Porter. This is a peanut butter and jelly brown ale. It smells and tastes just like the classic sandwich.

The color is a rich dark brown. The only disappointment was the minimal head which left no lacing. The smell is true to the name and exactly what you hoped for. Taste is smooth and sweet, a good mix of sweet peanut butter and jelly. No bitterness at all and not overbearing. The flavor resonated in your mouth and forced me to order a second.

Overall, if you like semi-sweet beers this could be a solid session beers. The ABV is not too strong and it is a very drinkable. I am sure they will tap out of it today so If you are in the area head over and give it a shot. (820 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +10.3%

Let me preface by saying the brewer was really cool and nice enough to pour me a sample of this from kegs they were saving! Awesome!

A: a nice medium brownish red with a slight murkiness to it. A small white head that fades quickly. Good.

S: its crazy! I get jelly upfront followed by a nutty peanut butter type flavor, I'm guessing from some roasted malts. I get some breadiness on the back! I cannot dispute that this smells like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich! Amazing!

T: I get a slight bitterness followed by a mild sweetness that is almost like a light jelly. I then get a nutty peanut butter and bready wall on the backend, but not at all cloying. Great beer! Exactly as advertised.

M: medium body with a fantastic carbonation. A nutty mild bitter finish. Very good!

O: first beer I've reviewed from them. It may sound weird, but this tastes amazing! This tastes exactly like a PB&J sandwich! Definitely try if you get the chance. Quality coming out of this small operation! (991 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +9.1%

On-tap at the brewery. Poured into a FB snifter.

A: Pretty standard for a brown ale. Brown with slight purple highlights. A finger of sand colored head appears, retains well, and leaves some nice lace.

A: WTF! This is a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, not a beer. Huge notes of sweet peanuts, slight biscuity malt, and grape jelly.

T: What can I say? It tastes like a PB&J. This is just insane!

M: Medium body, good levels of carbonation deliver the flavors nicely.

O: The only knock I can give this beer is the drinkability. Probably couln't have more than a couple due to the sweetness, but overall this is outstanding. One of the more original brews I've had. The Buddah is brewing up some kick ass originality. Skal. (727 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +9.1%

on tap at EBF

Pours a deep brown color with some reddish hues. Thin beige head fades out and leave a collar of lacing on the edges.

Wow, this literally smells exactly like a toasted PB&J sandwich. Nutty with bread crust and some touches of sweet, fruity jam.

Bready and malty up front with plenty of peanut and nutty tones. Toasted bread crust followed by sweet, fruity jelly flavor. Touches of strawberry and grape. Nice backbone, giving way to a PB&J finish that lingers on the tongue.

Medium body, well carbonated, a little sticky on the tongue. This was another "whoa, are they serious?" moments for me at the Funky Buddha table during the fest. Such an awesome beer experience. (689 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +8.7%

Tasted during a recent visit to the lounge. From notes.

The head dies down quickly on this brew without much lacing, and while held up to the light it's surprisingly translucent; seems more like a small amber beer than a brown ale. But for such a light appearance the smell is overwhelming. Smooth, earthy peanut butter. There's some faint sweetness of jelly, but it's definitely a PB dominated nose.
The jelly comes up in full force in the taste, though. Neither flavor dominates, rather the peanut butter smoothness and fruity sweetness trade the limelight back and forth as the brew goes down. Smooth, clean finish, reminding me that it's actually a brown ale and not a sandwich.
Delicious until the end, the beer indeed offers the taste of PB&J (smooth and sweet) without the crusts (no roasty/malty/wheaty/bready flavors anywhere!). Great beer to try, but how many could I drink? That's a good question. How many PB&J sandwiches could I eat? I think its rich flavors might overwhelm me before I got to a second pint, no matter how easy to drink the beer itself is. (1,070 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +8.7%

12oz bottle into a wine glass. Sent from a generous friend in Florida; bottled last week I believe.

Appearance: Free pour yields a one inch offwhite head that dissipates slowly and lacelessly. Pours a semi-translucent dark red brown and leaves spotty lacing.

Smell: Immediately upon opening the bottle, I'm struck by the dead on "peanut butter and jelly sandwich" aroma coming out of it. I let my friend smell it before pouring it and she was as enthusiastic-spectator-at-magic-show impressed as I was.

In the glass it retains that strong peanut butter with ambiguous berry jelly background aroma for the life of the beer, along with a nice effervescence. As straightforward as the smell is, it's very enticing (and *strong*; it doesn't mellow out with time, it stays bold and good).

Taste: Less jelly and more peanut butter (especially up front), with those flavors more subdued than in the smell, and bolstered by a mild, chocolaty maltiness. Fruit comes out more in the aftertaste, while a steady peanut butter note pervades everything.

The story here is the balance... it's just bitter enough, and the dryness and highish carbonation work really well. Underneath the peanut butter and jelly, there's a solid, straightforward and well made American brown ale here.

The flavor transcends the obvious novelty value (which is still kind of a wow factor anyway), and ends up as a beer I'd like to drink a lot of-- exactly what you wouldn't expect from a novelty beer. It never gets cloying, or yields an "Alright, I get it, now let's open up a *real* beer!" moment. This is a real beer, and a delicious one.

Mouthfeel: Light side of medium bodied. High carbonation and somewhat dry finish, both of which work well. My friend commented that she thought it needed more body, but I think the lightness helps it stay "quaffable" instead of getting overpowering in any way.

Overall: I loved this beer. It sounded gimmicky, but it's so spot on that the negative connotations of 'gimmicky' fail to obtain. Not only does it nail peanut butter and jelly, but it nails how "experimental beer" should be; it's not a joke, or a simple trick. It's a great brown ale, with a substantial peanut butter note in the flavor and a huge peanut butter and jelly aroma (my friend had to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich after I let her smell the glass and try a couple sips).

I know this brewery is getting a lot of hype right now... I hope the hype carries them to expansion, because I want to try more of their beer. This beer is good enough to be a fridge staple for me-- not "I would gladly buy this again," but "I would make a serious effort not to be without it this in my fridge," which is not light praise. If I lived in Boca Raton, I would be a fixture at Funky Buddha. (2,777 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

An ale that tastes and smells just like the iconic sandwich! Starting with the intense aroma of creamy peanut butter mingling with mixed berry jam. Just like mom used to make!

Such an interesting beer. I've had several things from Funky Buddha and I'm looking forward to my first sip of No Crusts. I have heard fantastic things about it. I had the Bonita Applebum for the first time yesterday and I was blown away by that; and people were saying 'It's great, but it's no No Crusts'. (485 characters)

No Crusts from Funky Buddha Brewery