No Crusts - Funky Buddha Brewery

Funky Buddha Brewery visit their website
Florida, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.40% ABV

Beer added by: dimenhetfield on 06-11-2011

Peanut butter and jelly brown ale
1.48/5  rDev -64.4%

Poured into my Darkness snifter.

Brown caramel colored liquid. Thick khaki colored head. Giant amounts of it. Immediately points to high carbonation. When it finally settles down the lacing is clinging to glass for dear life. Smell is of peanuts. Nothing spectacular. I read the concept of this beer. Peanut butter and jelly. Yea, right? Well it tasted more like metal and vegetables. Horribly muddled. This just can't be right. The beer was so highly carbonated. Like foam in your mouth.

Even though this bottle was bad I am rating the beer as I had it. If I get another in the future I will re-rate it. So for now, this is one awful beer. (643 characters)

2.41/5  rDev -42.1%

Thanks to Urbancaver for pulling this one out on his visit.

Being the average middle class kid, raised solely on PB&J for the better part of 12 years, I was stoked to try this one. Furthermore, the rarity of it and relative trade frenzy around it made me curious to say the least.

In the glass... It just looked like your basic brown ale, maybe even a little light in color. On the nose... yup, it smelled exactly like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I mean dead on. First taste... wtf?

I dont know how the nose was so spot on when it tasted so badly. Widly over carbonated, it just tasted like prickly peanut seltzer. The beer had little to no body, no "jelly" of and kind and a weak seltzer-like after taste. I took another sip... Yup. Exactly the same. This just tasted like a gimmicky beer that slipped out for trade bait. Glad I didn't bite.

I wanted this to be good, I really did. But it wasn't. It was easily the worst beer at the share. Hopefully the other Funky Buddha beers are worth a damn. Not that I would trade for any of them. (1,049 characters)

2.67/5  rDev -35.8%

After opening this begins to gush at a rapid pace. Not a good sign generally. Looks like cola with a small head.

Aroma is...a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. WITH crusts....shame on you for false advertising haha

The flavor is bready and metallic with slight notes of jam and peanuts. I like the peanut and jelly flavor, but those metallic notes kill it. I assume that it is probably a result of time spent in the bottle (much like Short's bottle failures) and is better fresh from the source. I would advise that this one is not bottled anymore.

The body is thin to medium and appropriate for a brown ale.

Overall, the beer I am drinking is just not that good. I would love to try a keg at the source though. (715 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -34.1%

On tap at Churchkey. Served in a mini snifter. Pours a moderate brown color with a short head and a bit of lacing. The nose carries some peanut butter and jelly. Surprise, surprise. The peanut butter component takes over, with just a bit of berry in the background. Flavor has mild fruit and more peanut. A bit one-dimensional, and not my favorite dimension at that. Medium body with a semi-dry finish. Just okay. (413 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -33.2%

This is a grape jelly heavy beer with a faint hint of peanut butter at the end. The aftertaste will linger with you for several hours after, which doesn't lend itself well to its enjoyment.

The color is solid and aroma matches the jelly flavor, but it could have done with more peanut butter flavor.

Very light in body and an easy drinking beer. (348 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -32.5%

22 oz poured to my Lost Abbey tumbler. Thanks dboon!

Pours a charred brown color with a very light tan head that climbs to the top of the glass at the blink of an eye. I poured maybe 3 ounces and the glass was filled with foam. After it settled, I poured very carefully and got about 8 ounces before it was near climbing over the top of the glass.

The smell is incredible. After smelling the first time, you can't believe what you just smelled coming out of this beer. It's like you're 6 years old all over again. Gobs of peanut butter, wheat bread, slight hint of strawberry jam. The peanut butter aroma has a great roasted quality to it.

Taste is upfront with the roasted peanuts. The bread character is very overwhelming in this beer. It takes over and lets slight strawberry spill through once it warms.

Mouthfeel is too light with an insane amount of carbonation. It is like drinking coke straight from the can. Almost offensive. Impossible to take down in large quantities.

Overall, I can see what they were going for. I personally didn't like it too much, but I applaud them for their creativity. I'm glad I got to try this beer and see what all the hype is about. (1,180 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -25.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured a light brown. The nose was actually quite nice with notes of peanut butter and some jam. However, the flavor was not what the nose was putting down. More like a lite peanut water with carb. (200 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -25%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

First had: on tap at Capone's, Norristown, PA

Thanks to Capone's, BV, and FB for bringing these beers up for Philly Beer Week.

A bit disappointed by this one, but it was definitely interesting all over. First off, you gotta be careful with this beer...it stratifies incredibly (at least it did at Capone's; it did not when I had it elsewhere). Most of the pours I saw, including my own, had two strictly defined layers: on the bottom was a murky, swampy brown layer (hello, peanut butter), and floating on top was a clear mahogany brown layer (hello, jelly). This was all topped off with a thin layer of tan head. (I have a snifter of Jell-O 1-2-3 in front of me.) Contrary to most reviews, the aroma I got was pretty much pure grape jelly. I actually decided to give this a little mix with a straw before tasting it. Grape jelly was easily the dominant factor here, and yes, it was distinctively jelly, not just "vinous notes" or like a grape beer. I really did taste the jelly. The peanut came in as more of a shady afterthought and really only when the beer warmed up a little bit, earthy and chalky at that. And actually...crusts? I tasted them. False advertising! :P Seriously though, there was a distinct breadiness going on. This was basically a nutty brown ale infused with grape jelly. The body was pretty thin and weak, which was my main gripe about the beer (but don't be offended, FB, I feel that way about most brown ales). This is not like biting into a PB&J sandwich. It's good for what it is, and quite innovative, but overall, after tonight's event, I probably wouldn't bother getting this one again even if I did get the chance. Compared to their other beers, which typically deliver what they promise and more, this was a bit disappointing.

This was definitely my least favorite of Funky Buddha's brews. Still good, but my least favorite. (1,860 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -24.5%

Review from notes from tonight.
bottle thanks to my awesome girlfriend...split with ericandersnavy.
Label says no crusts, so this entry needs to be corrected. I have submitted it.
Poured a nice brown with about a finger of head...
The nose was.. a huge letdown. it honestly smelled like bean sprouts with a bit of peanut in there.... There was a fresh "green" aroma I could only link to the smell of bean sprouts, or alfalfa sprouts. There was a hint of raspberry... which I could say was jelly.
Taste was very sweet in the front, and finished a bit on the tart side. In the middle there was peanut flavor, but again, it seemed like fresh peanut flavor, green... eric said it best when he said it seemed like boiled peanuts. If anyone is from the south, it tasted like the boiled peanut water. No jelly at all. To be honest, i got mustard on the finish. Does anyone put mustard on a PB and J? I dont eat them, so I dont know, but I assume not.
The mouthfeel was great, I cant remember the last time I had something with such tiny carbonation! it was like an explosion in my mouth, fantastic!
Overall though, this was a huge letdown. I was expecting so much, and got so little in return. I am glad actually have someone I tried this with that will rate it though...
Maybe I had a bad bottle? I dont know, but from their other offerings i have tried and rated, this was a huge letdown. (1,385 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Enjoyed at EBF 2014. Second of 2 peanut butter beers that disappointed me (and there was only 2 at EBF!).

I am a major peanut butter freak (every morning for breakfast) and was all over this when i saw it. Has more of the jelly than the peanut butter in the aroma and flavor. I like the creaminess of it but the body could have been fuller to better showcase the flavors. Interesting mesh but once again, lack of peanut butter makes a brew less than what it is advertised as. (476 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -19%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

From tap to snifter at ChurchKey DC on 6/7/12
*From notes

A: Chill hazy amber in hue. Kinda looks like a Rauchbier, if that was something a beer can actually look like. No real head, collar or lacing are present.

S: Boiled peanuts, which is one of my least favorite things in the world. Tea leaves follow, as does a hint of milk cocoa. As it warms, the "boiled" characteristics wear off a bit, and this does come around to being a bit more balanced. A very, very faint touch of red fruit lingers back there somewhere.

T: Peanuts, and lots of 'em. I'm also getting a bit of warm bath water. I doubt that was intentional. The mid to finish showcases some grape-like qualities. And it lingers. Some earth, and a bit of vine fruit sticks around after each sip. The biggest issue with the flavor profile is the lack of freshness. It's like a PB&J that's been sitting in my fridge for a few days, not just freshly made.

M: As with all of the FB beers this evening, this is yet again thin and undercarbonated. The lack of real texture or body puts a hurtin' on this one.

O: Not quite the stunner I was expecting. There's nothing directly wrong with the nose or flavors here, yet this isn't as expressive as I would have liked. A decent gimmick beer, no more. (1,256 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

32 oz growler courtesy of Dane. Thank you for a long time want!

Pours a murky brown with a thin white skim.

Well this really benefited from some warming. Jelly is most prominent....very grape jammy. Peanut butter provides a back up singer..clearly not center stage.

Jammy grape jelly, light toast, peanut butter way in the back. Base beer is blown apart. When I say the peanut butter is in the back, it's like back corner of the big ass auditorium back. More jelly than anything and that's a disappointment.

Mouthfeel is thin and watery.

It's fun, but not a great beer. I appreciated the experience though. (612 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -13.5%

On tap at Churchkey the other night. It arrived a caramel brown looking color with a thin white lacing scattered across the top. It's got a little bit or a ruby colored highlight to it.

Aroma is very strong with peanuts. I get a little bit of jam sweetness and some bready malts, but the peanuts dominate. It's a little like sticking your nose into a bag of ballpark peanuts.

The taste also is best described as a bag of ballpark peanuts. It's got a little sweet jam in the finish, but the peanuts dominate. The peanut flavor is pretty spot on with a bag of peanuts. While the flavors are pretty interesting, I can't say it's great.

The mouthfeel is thin and a little watery with low carbonation. Overall, it was a cool and interesting beer. It tasted exactly like peanuts to me which wasn't bad, but maybe a little odd. It was nice to try once but not something I'd want to drink often. (891 characters)

3.69/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Had this on the eve of the August 27th JO's bottle release. Big thanks to Cam for bringing this. ~2-3 oz from a tasting snifter.

3.5 A: Hazed light brown color. One finger frothy light beige head.

4.5 S: This certainly delivers on the name. Tons of grape jelly. Crunchy peanut butter behind that. Light breadiness indicative of an actual PBJ.

3.5 T: As good as the nose is, the taste is disappointing. It is still a good beer, but it tastes watered down. Way less jelly and a lot less peanut butter. Still a PBJ, put one using light peanut butter and sugar free jelly.

3.0 M: Light to lighter medium body. Over carbonated by a decent amount. This is the major failure of this beer. I logically crave a chewy, stick to your mouthtop type of body - rich and velvety, but that isn't what I got.

3.5 D: Good beer, but the mouthfeel is far too light and the taste is lacking power. (881 characters)

3.76/5  rDev -9.6%

Served in a Chimay glass filled to the brim (so no head). Aroma of roasted peanuts is prevalent as well at the front of the taste. When you swallow it switches to grape jelly - pretty unbelievable actually and the reason behind giving it a 5 for taste b/c it does what it says. The flavors are so right on. Mouthfeel is average with light carbonation. This is a fun one, but I wouldn't buy it on a regular basis b/c I want a beer, not a sweet liquid snack. (456 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

32 oz. growler served in a wine glass. Big thanks to immobliseme for the share.

A: Pours a dark brown color with a light tan head forming on the pour. It recedes a to thin ring. Some mild soapy lace left down the edges of the glass.

S: Weird. Peanut butter sweetness with a straight peanut and light grape jelly notes. Dried bread crust malt notes as well.

T: Same as the nose. Lots of whole wheat bread and grain with peanuts and grape jelly notes. Sweetness and fruitiness mix together.

M: Medium to thin bodied with a medium carbonation level. Sweet finish.

O: A very odd beer and glad I was able to try it. Much better than the Short's take on it as everyone I've had by them as they had a faint plastic note to them. Pretty well executed, but the small pour I had was enough for me. Thanks, Todd! (806 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -8.7%

Draft at Prohibition Taproom in Philadelphia, PA.

Pours a dark amber, almost brown color with golden orange edges and a  two finger white head that slowly fades into a lasting ring.

Another dessert beer aroma nailed by Funky Buddha.  Smells just like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich but unfortunately not like a beer.  It's odd that's it's called No Crusts because bread crust is one of the strongest characteristics of the nose.  Lots of freshly baked bread with roasted peanut and jammy jelly.   Strong roasted nut character followed by welch's grape.   A bit seedy as well.  Crazy that they replicated the aroma of one of my favorite meals but I wish that it smelled(and tasted) a bit more like beer.

Medium bodied with a nice balance of toasted peanut, sweet, slightly tart jelly and fresh bread.  Roasted with lots of peanut flavor up front along with slightly smoked malt undertones.  More peanut than peanut butter but it still replicates the flavor pretty well.  This is followed by fresh baked bread (including  crust) and a really prominent sweet, tart jam presence in the finish.   The jelly portion of the beer is really overpowering after a few ounces and provides a lingering unpleasant aftertaste.  The subtle roasted malt notes were the only element that made it taste like a brown ale.  Other than that it tastes more like a  good alcoholic dessert drink than a beer.  Decent but nowhere near as good as some of their other experimental beers. (1,484 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Beer on tap at Churchkey, I've been avoiding these Funky Buddha reviews since I did not enjoy the event very much at all and the beers were generally mediocre or worse, the most surprising and best thing about this beer by far was the aroma. Nailed it fellows, smells like a peanut butter sandwich. The rest? eh...Also at the time of this review, this is #5 on the "Top Beers - American Brown Ale" list on beeradvocate.com. I was quite excited to try this.

Beer is dirty brown and dark with a lazy off white head of small bubbles, some lacing, moderate carbonation, looks OK.

Aroma is a peanut butter sandwich, a lot of nuts, interesting, sweet. Nailed it.

Beer tastes like peanuts, salt and dirt. Nope, not loving it. I get it but not every concept makes for a good beer. Too much peanut, too much salt, too much of everything. There is already a Short's brewing company out there making horrible beers, give up. (916 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -7%

From notes, tried at Jackie O's recent release. thanks Cam

A - mostly clear brown/red body, a film of tan foam on top.

S - peanut butter and jelly, a bit of earth, and a bit of grass. It's incredible how much of a very clear peanut butter smell you get.

T - some sweet jelly notes, a bit of earthy PB, a hint of chocolate. It doesn't work very well in the taste.

M - light, a bit dry, ok.

O - really interesting, and not at all bad. (437 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Growler pour at mrbubbler's tasting.

Pours a murky dark honey brown with a foamy tan head that settles to wisps of film on top of the beer. Tiny dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, peanut butter, jelly, and bread aromas. Taste is much the same with peanut and jelly flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of toasty bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp and medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer with a spot on peanut butter and jelly sandwich aroma that doesn't exactly translate the same to the taste. (636 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -5.5%

Props to Jason and Casey for making this happen.

A - Amber/brown colored beer with a touch of red and a tannish head that left a little bit of a cap on the top.

S - Right away I get raw peanuts, the kind that you buy and then roast yourself in the oven. I find that immediately unpleasant and the only thing there is at first. A second smell is some nice jelly, and the peanut butter then starts to come through. It smells pretty good, but the initial green, woody peanut taste knocks it down a bit.

T - It tastes like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Really, it's kind of crazy, mixture of peanut butter and jelly, not sure how else to describe this. Definitely the best beer of this type I've had. It tastes good for what it is, but on the scale of tasting good for a beer, it's not world class.

M - A little flat and dead, but not bad. Medium bodied, a little gritty.

O - For what this is, a PB&J beer, it's fantastic. I imagine this is hard to pull off and they hit a winning combination. Unique and definitely worth seeking out and trying, particularly if you are into trying unusual beers. (1,103 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -5%

On tap at Capone's during PBW. This was the one FB beer that really didn't "wow me."

The beer pours a reddish brown color with good head retention and lacing. The nose is complex and unusual, as I pick up lavendar, light peanut butter and dust. The flavor profile seemed to replicate the nose pretty closely, but with some sweet grape jelly flavor as well. The beer was a bit thin on the palate as well, which I guess is to be expected for a 6% abv. beer. Otherwise, the beer was light to medium bodied, with a fairly long finish. Alcohol is virtually undetectable in this beer.

An interesting beer, no doubt, but I just didn't really find myself digging it. Still glad I was able to try it... (695 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -5%

Bottle generously shared by cam

A-redish brown hue with a nice bit of head

S-smells like grape jelly! Little bit of peanut butter but not much

T-little bit of crunchiness hand a good bit of jelly. Gets word as it warms up. Drink it pretty cold

M-medium body ans smooth with a dry finish

O-very good. Nice representation of the name. (337 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -5%

A-murky brown color at the base with a lighter red brown emerging toward the surface, no significant head or lacing

S-peanuts, yeasty bread

T-peanut butter, toasted bread, and some sweetness (jelly), not much else of note

F-light body with light carbonation, slick oily feel yet not a lot of body

O-an interesting brown ale with novel flavors but wish it had a little more body (381 characters)

On tap at the St. Petersburg Cask Ale Festival.

A - Dark brownbody with a sizable head and good retention and lacing.

S - Smells like peanut butter and a hint of jelly. How do these breweries make these gimmicky beers? There's also a hint of tobacco in the aroma.

T - Jelly! Peanut butter from the nose and jelly in the taste. Really does taste like peanut butter and jelly. A little bitter in the finish, but still remarkable.

M - Light-medium bodied with medium carbonation. It has a lingering dryness. I get the feeling that a lot of these spiced, weird tasting beers will be a bit dry.

O - Smells like peanut butter and tastes like jelly. Good for what it is, but it's still a gimmick. (694 characters)

No Crusts from Funky Buddha Brewery