No Crusts - Funky Buddha Brewery

No CrustsNo Crusts

Funky Buddha Brewery visit their website
Florida, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: dimenhetfield on 06-11-2011)
1.4/5  rDev -66.7%

Poured into my Darkness snifter.

Brown caramel colored liquid. Thick khaki colored head. Giant amounts of it. Immediately points to high carbonation. When it finally settles down the lacing is clinging to glass for dear life. Smell is of peanuts. Nothing spectacular. I read the concept of this beer. Peanut butter and jelly. Yea, right? Well it tasted more like metal and vegetables. Horribly muddled. This just can't be right. The beer was so highly carbonated. Like foam in your mouth.

Even though this bottle was bad I am rating the beer as I had it. If I get another in the future I will re-rate it. So for now, this is one awful beer.

TheDudeRules, Aug 13, 2011

Monstro, Dec 20, 2013
2.28/5  rDev -45.8%

Thanks to Urbancaver for pulling this one out on his visit.

Being the average middle class kid, raised solely on PB&J for the better part of 12 years, I was stoked to try this one. Furthermore, the rarity of it and relative trade frenzy around it made me curious to say the least.

In the glass... It just looked like your basic brown ale, maybe even a little light in color. On the nose... yup, it smelled exactly like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I mean dead on. First taste... wtf?

I dont know how the nose was so spot on when it tasted so badly. Widly over carbonated, it just tasted like prickly peanut seltzer. The beer had little to no body, no "jelly" of and kind and a weak seltzer-like after taste. I took another sip... Yup. Exactly the same. This just tasted like a gimmicky beer that slipped out for trade bait. Glad I didn't bite.

I wanted this to be good, I really did. But it wasn't. It was easily the worst beer at the share. Hopefully the other Funky Buddha beers are worth a damn. Not that I would trade for any of them.

gregmoscetti, Aug 14, 2011
2.5/5  rDev -40.6%

Eighty, Dec 05, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -40.6%

Googan17, Jul 23, 2014
2.58/5  rDev -38.7%

After opening this begins to gush at a rapid pace. Not a good sign generally. Looks like cola with a small head.

Aroma is...a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. WITH crusts....shame on you for false advertising haha

The flavor is bready and metallic with slight notes of jam and peanuts. I like the peanut and jelly flavor, but those metallic notes kill it. I assume that it is probably a result of time spent in the bottle (much like Short's bottle failures) and is better fresh from the source. I would advise that this one is not bottled anymore.

The body is thin to medium and appropriate for a brown ale.

Overall, the beer I am drinking is just not that good. I would love to try a keg at the source though.

alcstradamus, Aug 28, 2011
2.7/5  rDev -35.9%

22 oz poured to my Lost Abbey tumbler. Thanks dboon!

Pours a charred brown color with a very light tan head that climbs to the top of the glass at the blink of an eye. I poured maybe 3 ounces and the glass was filled with foam. After it settled, I poured very carefully and got about 8 ounces before it was near climbing over the top of the glass.

The smell is incredible. After smelling the first time, you can't believe what you just smelled coming out of this beer. It's like you're 6 years old all over again. Gobs of peanut butter, wheat bread, slight hint of strawberry jam. The peanut butter aroma has a great roasted quality to it.

Taste is upfront with the roasted peanuts. The bread character is very overwhelming in this beer. It takes over and lets slight strawberry spill through once it warms.

Mouthfeel is too light with an insane amount of carbonation. It is like drinking coke straight from the can. Almost offensive. Impossible to take down in large quantities.

Overall, I can see what they were going for. I personally didn't like it too much, but I applaud them for their creativity. I'm glad I got to try this beer and see what all the hype is about.

DearthVader, Aug 24, 2011
2.73/5  rDev -35.2%

On tap at Churchkey. Served in a mini snifter. Pours a moderate brown color with a short head and a bit of lacing. The nose carries some peanut butter and jelly. Surprise, surprise. The peanut butter component takes over, with just a bit of berry in the background. Flavor has mild fruit and more peanut. A bit one-dimensional, and not my favorite dimension at that. Medium body with a semi-dry finish. Just okay.

Thorpe429, Dec 15, 2012
2.75/5  rDev -34.7%

This is a grape jelly heavy beer with a faint hint of peanut butter at the end. The aftertaste will linger with you for several hours after, which doesn't lend itself well to its enjoyment.

The color is solid and aroma matches the jelly flavor, but it could have done with more peanut butter flavor.

Very light in body and an easy drinking beer.

troygreer, Jul 13, 2014

funkel81, Feb 06, 2012

Texasfan549, Aug 09, 2014

djrn2, Feb 19, 2012
3.15/5  rDev -25.2%

Review from notes from tonight.
bottle thanks to my awesome girlfriend...split with ericandersnavy.
Label says no crusts, so this entry needs to be corrected. I have submitted it.
Poured a nice brown with about a finger of head...
The nose was.. a huge letdown. it honestly smelled like bean sprouts with a bit of peanut in there.... There was a fresh "green" aroma I could only link to the smell of bean sprouts, or alfalfa sprouts. There was a hint of raspberry... which I could say was jelly.
Taste was very sweet in the front, and finished a bit on the tart side. In the middle there was peanut flavor, but again, it seemed like fresh peanut flavor, green... eric said it best when he said it seemed like boiled peanuts. If anyone is from the south, it tasted like the boiled peanut water. No jelly at all. To be honest, i got mustard on the finish. Does anyone put mustard on a PB and J? I dont eat them, so I dont know, but I assume not.
The mouthfeel was great, I cant remember the last time I had something with such tiny carbonation! it was like an explosion in my mouth, fantastic!
Overall though, this was a huge letdown. I was expecting so much, and got so little in return. I am glad actually have someone I tried this with that will rate it though...
Maybe I had a bad bottle? I dont know, but from their other offerings i have tried and rated, this was a huge letdown.

crusian, Jul 23, 2011
3.2/5  rDev -24%

First had: on tap at Capone's, Norristown, PA

Thanks to Capone's, BV, and FB for bringing these beers up for Philly Beer Week.

A bit disappointed by this one, but it was definitely interesting all over. First off, you gotta be careful with this beer...it stratifies incredibly (at least it did at Capone's; it did not when I had it elsewhere). Most of the pours I saw, including my own, had two strictly defined layers: on the bottom was a murky, swampy brown layer (hello, peanut butter), and floating on top was a clear mahogany brown layer (hello, jelly). This was all topped off with a thin layer of tan head. (I have a snifter of Jell-O 1-2-3 in front of me.) Contrary to most reviews, the aroma I got was pretty much pure grape jelly. I actually decided to give this a little mix with a straw before tasting it. Grape jelly was easily the dominant factor here, and yes, it was distinctively jelly, not just "vinous notes" or like a grape beer. I really did taste the jelly. The peanut came in as more of a shady afterthought and really only when the beer warmed up a little bit, earthy and chalky at that. And actually...crusts? I tasted them. False advertising! :P Seriously though, there was a distinct breadiness going on. This was basically a nutty brown ale infused with grape jelly. The body was pretty thin and weak, which was my main gripe about the beer (but don't be offended, FB, I feel that way about most brown ales). This is not like biting into a PB&J sandwich. It's good for what it is, and quite innovative, but overall, after tonight's event, I probably wouldn't bother getting this one again even if I did get the chance. Compared to their other beers, which typically deliver what they promise and more, this was a bit disappointing.

This was definitely my least favorite of Funky Buddha's brews. Still good, but my least favorite.

Rifugium, Jun 03, 2012

largadeer, Jan 14, 2013

chet4, Mar 24, 2014

kjkinsey, Aug 09, 2014

madtowndmb1, Jul 13, 2014

marine1975, Nov 08, 2012
3.34/5  rDev -20.7%

Enjoyed at EBF 2014. Second of 2 peanut butter beers that disappointed me (and there was only 2 at EBF!).

I am a major peanut butter freak (every morning for breakfast) and was all over this when i saw it. Has more of the jelly than the peanut butter in the aroma and flavor. I like the creaminess of it but the body could have been fuller to better showcase the flavors. Interesting mesh but once again, lack of peanut butter makes a brew less than what it is advertised as.

papat444, Mar 24, 2014
3.38/5  rDev -19.7%

From tap to snifter at ChurchKey DC on 6/7/12
*From notes

A: Chill hazy amber in hue. Kinda looks like a Rauchbier, if that was something a beer can actually look like. No real head, collar or lacing are present.

S: Boiled peanuts, which is one of my least favorite things in the world. Tea leaves follow, as does a hint of milk cocoa. As it warms, the "boiled" characteristics wear off a bit, and this does come around to being a bit more balanced. A very, very faint touch of red fruit lingers back there somewhere.

T: Peanuts, and lots of 'em. I'm also getting a bit of warm bath water. I doubt that was intentional. The mid to finish showcases some grape-like qualities. And it lingers. Some earth, and a bit of vine fruit sticks around after each sip. The biggest issue with the flavor profile is the lack of freshness. It's like a PB&J that's been sitting in my fridge for a few days, not just freshly made.

M: As with all of the FB beers this evening, this is yet again thin and undercarbonated. The lack of real texture or body puts a hurtin' on this one.

O: Not quite the stunner I was expecting. There's nothing directly wrong with the nose or flavors here, yet this isn't as expressive as I would have liked. A decent gimmick beer, no more.

Rhettroactive, Jun 21, 2012