Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

No Crusts - Funky Buddha Brewery

No CrustsNo Crusts

Funky Buddha Brewery visit their website
Florida, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.40% ABV

Beer added by: dimenhetfield on 06-11-2011

Peanut butter and jelly brown ale
3.87/5  rDev -6.7%

From notes, tried at Jackie O's recent release. thanks Cam

A - mostly clear brown/red body, a film of tan foam on top.

S - peanut butter and jelly, a bit of earth, and a bit of grass. It's incredible how much of a very clear peanut butter smell you get.

T - some sweet jelly notes, a bit of earthy PB, a hint of chocolate. It doesn't work very well in the taste.

M - light, a bit dry, ok.

O - really interesting, and not at all bad.

3.69/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Had this on the eve of the August 27th JO's bottle release. Big thanks to Cam for bringing this. ~2-3 oz from a tasting snifter.

3.5 A: Hazed light brown color. One finger frothy light beige head.

4.5 S: This certainly delivers on the name. Tons of grape jelly. Crunchy peanut butter behind that. Light breadiness indicative of an actual PBJ.

3.5 T: As good as the nose is, the taste is disappointing. It is still a good beer, but it tastes watered down. Way less jelly and a lot less peanut butter. Still a PBJ, put one using light peanut butter and sugar free jelly.

3.0 M: Light to lighter medium body. Over carbonated by a decent amount. This is the major failure of this beer. I logically crave a chewy, stick to your mouthtop type of body - rich and velvety, but that isn't what I got.

3.5 D: Good beer, but the mouthfeel is far too light and the taste is lacking power.

2.67/5  rDev -35.7%

After opening this begins to gush at a rapid pace. Not a good sign generally. Looks like cola with a small head.

Aroma is...a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. WITH crusts....shame on you for false advertising haha

The flavor is bready and metallic with slight notes of jam and peanuts. I like the peanut and jelly flavor, but those metallic notes kill it. I assume that it is probably a result of time spent in the bottle (much like Short's bottle failures) and is better fresh from the source. I would advise that this one is not bottled anymore.

The body is thin to medium and appropriate for a brown ale.

Overall, the beer I am drinking is just not that good. I would love to try a keg at the source though.

3.95/5  rDev -4.8%

Bottle generously shared by cam

A-redish brown hue with a nice bit of head

S-smells like grape jelly! Little bit of peanut butter but not much

T-little bit of crunchiness hand a good bit of jelly. Gets word as it warms up. Drink it pretty cold

M-medium body ans smooth with a dry finish

O-very good. Nice representation of the name.

2.81/5  rDev -32.3%

22 oz poured to my Lost Abbey tumbler. Thanks dboon!

Pours a charred brown color with a very light tan head that climbs to the top of the glass at the blink of an eye. I poured maybe 3 ounces and the glass was filled with foam. After it settled, I poured very carefully and got about 8 ounces before it was near climbing over the top of the glass.

The smell is incredible. After smelling the first time, you can't believe what you just smelled coming out of this beer. It's like you're 6 years old all over again. Gobs of peanut butter, wheat bread, slight hint of strawberry jam. The peanut butter aroma has a great roasted quality to it.

Taste is upfront with the roasted peanuts. The bread character is very overwhelming in this beer. It takes over and lets slight strawberry spill through once it warms.

Mouthfeel is too light with an insane amount of carbonation. It is like drinking coke straight from the can. Almost offensive. Impossible to take down in large quantities.

Overall, I can see what they were going for. I personally didn't like it too much, but I applaud them for their creativity. I'm glad I got to try this beer and see what all the hype is about.

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. bottle into my Duvel tulip. Ryan, should I ever find myself in Boca, the first few rounds are on me. Reviewed from notes.

Pour is dark caramel, almost maroon. A half-finger tan head lasts for a minute or so. A lot of bubbles in my glass, it looks almost soda-like at first glance. Minimal lacing. There are quite a few bits of suspended yeast floating around.

It smells like peanuts. But then jam! I swear I can smell crust, but it may very well be psychomatic. Really though, it’s true: this is a dead ringer for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. The sweet fruit aromas of the jelly are counterbalanced by the earthy, buttery, salty peanuts. I just want to keep smelling, and I can’t get my nose away from the glass.

Peanuts are very upfront in the taste, but I’m far more impressed by the bread-like quality. After about ten minutes of warming up, I could absolutely detect a hint of jelly. It’s an unmistakable flavor of berries – strawberries? – squarely in the middle of my tongue. That sweet fruit helps this beer live up to its namesake, but also adds a wonderful balance that pulls the taste together. This just gets better and better with each sip.

From my initial pour, I had a feeling this beer might be a little overcarbonated. I’m glad to say that my suspicion was unfounded. The carbonation level is perfect, and this medium-bodied beer is creamy and smooth, like a wonderful dessert.

For what it's worth, I thought this absolutely crushed Short's Uber Goober. The incorporation of fruit into this beer is masterful, and though this could have easily veered off into novelty territory it is harmoniously balanced. Ryan, you are a gentleman and, just as important, an alchemist.

4.32/5  rDev +4.1%

edit: new bottle.... Thanks Ryan. Scores tweaked. Initial review still listed below.
Pour looks the same. Smells peanut buttery and lots and lot of jelly. Much betteer aroma. Tastes like a great peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Overall the mouthfeel is a bit rough Overly carbonated but great.

I've gone back and forth between uploading this and not but I feel I have to...

Pours a typical brown with some light tan head. Looks pretty standard. Smells peanut butter heavy. Tough of bitterness with some sweet jelly hiding behind. The aroma is pleasant and definitely unique.

The taste however... not so good. I struggle with how to rate this. I'm not sure if it was a bad bottle or just not my cup of tea. the jelly is non existant (only detectable if I really look for it). Peanut butter that's almost burnt and bitter. Highly carbonated and a bit abrasive because of it.

Disappointing given how amazing maple bacon was but then again... not everything can be a hit

2.41/5  rDev -41.9%

Thanks to Urbancaver for pulling this one out on his visit.

Being the average middle class kid, raised solely on PB&J for the better part of 12 years, I was stoked to try this one. Furthermore, the rarity of it and relative trade frenzy around it made me curious to say the least.

In the glass... It just looked like your basic brown ale, maybe even a little light in color. On the nose... yup, it smelled exactly like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I mean dead on. First taste... wtf?

I dont know how the nose was so spot on when it tasted so badly. Widly over carbonated, it just tasted like prickly peanut seltzer. The beer had little to no body, no "jelly" of and kind and a weak seltzer-like after taste. I took another sip... Yup. Exactly the same. This just tasted like a gimmicky beer that slipped out for trade bait. Glad I didn't bite.

I wanted this to be good, I really did. But it wasn't. It was easily the worst beer at the share. Hopefully the other Funky Buddha beers are worth a damn. Not that I would trade for any of them.

1.48/5  rDev -64.3%

Poured into my Darkness snifter.

Brown caramel colored liquid. Thick khaki colored head. Giant amounts of it. Immediately points to high carbonation. When it finally settles down the lacing is clinging to glass for dear life. Smell is of peanuts. Nothing spectacular. I read the concept of this beer. Peanut butter and jelly. Yea, right? Well it tasted more like metal and vegetables. Horribly muddled. This just can't be right. The beer was so highly carbonated. Like foam in your mouth.

Even though this bottle was bad I am rating the beer as I had it. If I get another in the future I will re-rate it. So for now, this is one awful beer.

3.76/5  rDev -9.4%

Served in a Chimay glass filled to the brim (so no head). Aroma of roasted peanuts is prevalent as well at the front of the taste. When you swallow it switches to grape jelly - pretty unbelievable actually and the reason behind giving it a 5 for taste b/c it does what it says. The flavors are so right on. Mouthfeel is average with light carbonation. This is a fun one, but I wouldn't buy it on a regular basis b/c I want a beer, not a sweet liquid snack.

On tap at the St. Petersburg Cask Ale Festival.

A - Dark brownbody with a sizable head and good retention and lacing.

S - Smells like peanut butter and a hint of jelly. How do these breweries make these gimmicky beers? There's also a hint of tobacco in the aroma.

T - Jelly! Peanut butter from the nose and jelly in the taste. Really does taste like peanut butter and jelly. A little bitter in the finish, but still remarkable.

M - Light-medium bodied with medium carbonation. It has a lingering dryness. I get the feeling that a lot of these spiced, weird tasting beers will be a bit dry.

O - Smells like peanut butter and tastes like jelly. Good for what it is, but it's still a gimmick.

4.52/5  rDev +8.9%

12oz bottle into a wine glass. Sent from a generous friend in Florida; bottled last week I believe.

Appearance: Free pour yields a one inch offwhite head that dissipates slowly and lacelessly. Pours a semi-translucent dark red brown and leaves spotty lacing.

Smell: Immediately upon opening the bottle, I'm struck by the dead on "peanut butter and jelly sandwich" aroma coming out of it. I let my friend smell it before pouring it and she was as enthusiastic-spectator-at-magic-show impressed as I was.

In the glass it retains that strong peanut butter with ambiguous berry jelly background aroma for the life of the beer, along with a nice effervescence. As straightforward as the smell is, it's very enticing (and *strong*; it doesn't mellow out with time, it stays bold and good).

Taste: Less jelly and more peanut butter (especially up front), with those flavors more subdued than in the smell, and bolstered by a mild, chocolaty maltiness. Fruit comes out more in the aftertaste, while a steady peanut butter note pervades everything.

The story here is the balance... it's just bitter enough, and the dryness and highish carbonation work really well. Underneath the peanut butter and jelly, there's a solid, straightforward and well made American brown ale here.

The flavor transcends the obvious novelty value (which is still kind of a wow factor anyway), and ends up as a beer I'd like to drink a lot of-- exactly what you wouldn't expect from a novelty beer. It never gets cloying, or yields an "Alright, I get it, now let's open up a *real* beer!" moment. This is a real beer, and a delicious one.

Mouthfeel: Light side of medium bodied. High carbonation and somewhat dry finish, both of which work well. My friend commented that she thought it needed more body, but I think the lightness helps it stay "quaffable" instead of getting overpowering in any way.

Overall: I loved this beer. It sounded gimmicky, but it's so spot on that the negative connotations of 'gimmicky' fail to obtain. Not only does it nail peanut butter and jelly, but it nails how "experimental beer" should be; it's not a joke, or a simple trick. It's a great brown ale, with a substantial peanut butter note in the flavor and a huge peanut butter and jelly aroma (my friend had to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich after I let her smell the glass and try a couple sips).

I know this brewery is getting a lot of hype right now... I hope the hype carries them to expansion, because I want to try more of their beer. This beer is good enough to be a fridge staple for me-- not "I would gladly buy this again," but "I would make a serious effort not to be without it this in my fridge," which is not light praise. If I lived in Boca Raton, I would be a fixture at Funky Buddha.

4.24/5  rDev +2.2%

On tap at the Funky Buddha. Murky reddish brown pour with a small white head. I thought the MBCP nose was incredible but the No Crust is down right insane. Total freakin’ chunky roasted peanut butter with undercurrents of dried berries. The taste is so cool. Massive peanut butter flavors offset by mixed berry jam, apricots, and blackberries. Kudos to Kevin, Ryan, and the rest of the Buddha crew....

3.14/5  rDev -24.3%

Review from notes from tonight.
bottle thanks to my awesome girlfriend...split with ericandersnavy.
Label says no crusts, so this entry needs to be corrected. I have submitted it.
Poured a nice brown with about a finger of head...
The nose was.. a huge letdown. it honestly smelled like bean sprouts with a bit of peanut in there.... There was a fresh "green" aroma I could only link to the smell of bean sprouts, or alfalfa sprouts. There was a hint of raspberry... which I could say was jelly.
Taste was very sweet in the front, and finished a bit on the tart side. In the middle there was peanut flavor, but again, it seemed like fresh peanut flavor, green... eric said it best when he said it seemed like boiled peanuts. If anyone is from the south, it tasted like the boiled peanut water. No jelly at all. To be honest, i got mustard on the finish. Does anyone put mustard on a PB and J? I dont eat them, so I dont know, but I assume not.
The mouthfeel was great, I cant remember the last time I had something with such tiny carbonation! it was like an explosion in my mouth, fantastic!
Overall though, this was a huge letdown. I was expecting so much, and got so little in return. I am glad actually have someone I tried this with that will rate it though...
Maybe I had a bad bottle? I dont know, but from their other offerings i have tried and rated, this was a huge letdown.

4.15/5  rDev 0%

Bottle poured into Darkness snifter. Thanks Jason!

A - Pours brown, off-white colored head, sticky lacing, thick collar, thin cap. Very nice-looking beer we have here.

S - Lots roasted nuts, malts, sugary sweetness. Like a PBJ sammich, pretty much. Really cool and unique...the thing is, it still smells outstanding while being unique.

T - Sweet sugary malts, roasted nuts, slight sugary jelly sweetness, sweet finish. The "jelly" notes come out a bit more on the palate and mix with the "peanut butter". I enjoy drinking my lunch.

M - Body is medium, good carbonation, creamy finish.

O - Very enjoyable! Destroys the Short's version of PBJ. Like I said, I prefer a liquid lunch, so no crust works for me! A must-try if you're into unique beers. Not something to have over and over again though.

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

Massive thanks goes out to my boy beeruser this one as a part of my birthday weekend! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller flute. Poured red-brown with a half finger light tan head that subsided to a minimal amount slowly. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, peanut butter, jelly, and bread. The flavor was of sweet malt, peanut butter, jelly, bread, and subtle fruit. It had a mild feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was an excellent brew. If I am honest, this thing really did taste and smell like a PB&J sandwich... Almost scary how close it was. The peanut butter flavor sticks to your palate well after you sip is taken (almost like it is stuck to the roof of your mouth). No a lot bad can be said about this beer in any way, shape, or form. Really glad I got the chance to try this one!

4.49/5  rDev +8.2%

Bottle shared by Jason via Casey. Must appreciated. Served in a Jester King tulip.

A - Quick-dissolving light tan foam settles to a thin ring and some filmy haze, with a bit of spotty lacing. Dark brown body with some orange highlights.

S - The aroma is mostly intense dry roasted peanuts. There is some nebulous malt sweetness peeking through the cracks, but I found this to be all about the peanut butter. Perhaps a bit of toasted bread in there as well. Smells delicious in any case.

T - The taste has a bit more of the advertised jelly, but it's not particularly evocative of a specific fruit. My wife though apricots maybe, but it's not the typical raspberry, strawberry, or grape you'd find on a sandwich. Still tons of peanut goodness, along with some sugary notes and perhaps a hint of chocolate from the brown ale base. Doesn't quite have the same intensity as the aroma, but still very good.

M - Medium-light body that is slightly gritty (from the peanuts?). Zesty carbonation, and a clean crisp finish. Reminds you that this isn't very high in alcohol.

D - It's a gimmicky, but an excellent one. Much better than Short's PB&J or Uber Goober. I'm curious to see how this will age, as I can imagine the intense peanut aroma fading quickly. I was sad about how fast we finished the bottle and wish that I had bottle of my own. Hopefully Funky Buddha will make more down the road.

3.93/5  rDev -5.3%

Props to Jason and Casey for making this happen.

A - Amber/brown colored beer with a touch of red and a tannish head that left a little bit of a cap on the top.

S - Right away I get raw peanuts, the kind that you buy and then roast yourself in the oven. I find that immediately unpleasant and the only thing there is at first. A second smell is some nice jelly, and the peanut butter then starts to come through. It smells pretty good, but the initial green, woody peanut taste knocks it down a bit.

T - It tastes like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Really, it's kind of crazy, mixture of peanut butter and jelly, not sure how else to describe this. Definitely the best beer of this type I've had. It tastes good for what it is, but on the scale of tasting good for a beer, it's not world class.

M - A little flat and dead, but not bad. Medium bodied, a little gritty.

O - For what this is, a PB&J beer, it's fantastic. I imagine this is hard to pull off and they hit a winning combination. Unique and definitely worth seeking out and trying, particularly if you are into trying unusual beers.

4.29/5  rDev +3.4%

Thanks to Casey or this bottle. Nice dark brown with light lacing. The smell is as described, peanut butter and jelly. Peanuts is stronger than the jelly which is more hidden. Taste is roasty, buttery, with a light tropical jelly taste. Lighter mouthfeel than would have expected but still good. Overall the beer delivers as expected for a specialty beer. Would gladly drink this again and recommend for those who seek the unique styles.

4.34/5  rDev +4.6%

Thanks to Casey for this... pours a nice dark amber brown, decent tan head... the nose is all roasted peanuts, salty, really great authentic peanuts, the jelly is hidden, don’t get much but there is a sweet fruity note, smells great... the first is all roasted salty peanuts, its awesome, after that the taste dies down a bit, becomes a touch watery and dead on the finish, a touch of alcohol... really crushable the best pbj and beer I’ve had, destroys Short’s version... for this type of beer, this is one of the best ones out there

4.17/5  rDev +0.5%

22oz bottle into a pint glass. Pour reveals a reddish-brown color with a tan head. Foam reduces to a thin cap that is present throughout.

The smell is chunky, nutty peanut butter with a huge dose of jam. It captures the essence of a PB&J much moreso than our friends at Short's did.

The taste is pretty heavy on strawberry jam while cold. It tastes almost like licking a knife after spreading jam on white bread. Not near as enticing as the aroma leads on. As it warms, you get much of the salty, now creamy peanut spread on the front end and slight jam on the back end. Definitely better as you sip. There's a nice white bread crust element I'm picking up as well.

This beer is perfectly carbonated and very drinkable. All in all, this is a treat. No problems polishing off the bomber and I would drink again if the opportunity arises.

I have had the opportunity to have this beer on several different occasions on tap at the Buddha and each time I drink it I am amazed and very impressed. I could smell this beer all day long.

Upon drinking the beer, it has the perfect balance of the peanut taste as well as the fruity jelly taste. It is great that the base beer is a brown ale as I don't believe it would taste as good with a porter.

I don't feel that I could drink more than one of these in a sitting, but it is definitely a nice treat for a change. I will take this beer over a PB&J sandwich any day. The Buddha definitely nailed this beer spot on.

4.97/5  rDev +19.8%

Had this one on tap several times at the Funky Buddha last weekend for their Wide Awake Its Morning release. Words can not describe how perfectly they nailed everything about this beer, you just have to taste it.

A - Pours a sort of reddish brown with a very small tan head that quickly fades and left minimal lacing as I savored every sip of this one.

S - Bam!! As every other review has stated so far, this smells like a straight up PB&J sandwich. I can't believe how blown away I was on the smell alone...couldn't wait to take my first sip. Loads of peanut buttery goodness in the nose which is followed up by the sweet smell of raspberry.

T - Just like mom used to make. Incredible! I can't believe the way they've managed to blend these flavors and pull of PB&J in a glass. You get lots of creamy, roasted peanut flavor up front and then the jelly sweetness moves right in as you finish your sip. Notes of raspberry, strawberry and grape are present here and are balanced perfectly with the residual nuttiness on the back end. Perfection!

M - Medium body with a nice level of carbonation. Again, everything is perfectly balanced.

O - It has been awhile since I tasted a beer that floored me just on one sip alone. The creativity in this beer is amazing and I wish everyone could taste this just once. Nice job, Funky Buddha!

4.77/5  rDev +14.9%

When Ryan first mentioned this beer to me months ago I was shaking my head thinking there is no way. I couldn't have been more wrong.

Pours a mild brown with vibrant crimson hues when held up to the light. A pillowy 1 finger head that disappears leaving a glassy top with an ever so slight cream ring around the edge of the glass.

Smells fan-freakin-tastic. If I was blind I would think mom put a peanut but and jelly sandwich in front of me. Really brings back memories of mom fixing an after snack after a long day of horsin around outside with Ur friends. Quite nostalgic!

No way the taste could live up to the nose right? WRONG! Idk what else can be said other than I'm eating a pb&j right now. Smooth creamy peanut butter, wonderfully fruity grape jelly and oddly enough a toasted bread flavor that makes the beer incredibly unique

Mouthfeel like all Buddha beers is incredible not super thick and not to thin just perfect

Overall I'm supremely impressed with this beer. As a homebrewer I've just found my next challenge. Great job guys!

4.9/5  rDev +18.1%

Deep brown body with mahogany edges and a thin off-white head that quickly turned to lace. The aroma exudes peanut butter and bready sweetness. Reminds me of the PB&J sandwiches I lived off of in Middle school. Flavor delivers a bold peanut butter note with a fruity strawberry-like finish. Plenty of residual peanut flavor in the aftertaste but the flash of fruit comes through nicely. Sweet underlying toasted grain and maybe some subtle caramel. Medium bodied with decent carbonation. Juicy mouthfeel with a slightly dry finish. Absolutely spot on in flavor. PB&J in a bottle. Simple and not as cloying as I thought it might be. Amazed at how well put together this is. Funky Buddha does it again.

No Crusts from Funky Buddha Brewery