No Crusts - Funky Buddha Brewery

Funky Buddha Brewery visit their website
Florida, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.40% ABV

Beer added by: dimenhetfield on 06-11-2011

Peanut butter and jelly brown ale
Ratings: 430 | Reviews: 92
4.34/5  rDev +3.8%

Thanks to Casey for this... pours a nice dark amber brown, decent tan head... the nose is all roasted peanuts, salty, really great authentic peanuts, the jelly is hidden, don’t get much but there is a sweet fruity note, smells great... the first is all roasted salty peanuts, its awesome, after that the taste dies down a bit, becomes a touch watery and dead on the finish, a touch of alcohol... really crushable the best pbj and beer I’ve had, destroys Short’s version... for this type of beer, this is one of the best ones out there

4.17/5  rDev -0.2%

22oz bottle into a pint glass. Pour reveals a reddish-brown color with a tan head. Foam reduces to a thin cap that is present throughout.

The smell is chunky, nutty peanut butter with a huge dose of jam. It captures the essence of a PB&J much moreso than our friends at Short's did.

The taste is pretty heavy on strawberry jam while cold. It tastes almost like licking a knife after spreading jam on white bread. Not near as enticing as the aroma leads on. As it warms, you get much of the salty, now creamy peanut spread on the front end and slight jam on the back end. Definitely better as you sip. There's a nice white bread crust element I'm picking up as well.

This beer is perfectly carbonated and very drinkable. All in all, this is a treat. No problems polishing off the bomber and I would drink again if the opportunity arises.

I have had the opportunity to have this beer on several different occasions on tap at the Buddha and each time I drink it I am amazed and very impressed. I could smell this beer all day long.

Upon drinking the beer, it has the perfect balance of the peanut taste as well as the fruity jelly taste. It is great that the base beer is a brown ale as I don't believe it would taste as good with a porter.

I don't feel that I could drink more than one of these in a sitting, but it is definitely a nice treat for a change. I will take this beer over a PB&J sandwich any day. The Buddha definitely nailed this beer spot on.

4.97/5  rDev +18.9%

Had this one on tap several times at the Funky Buddha last weekend for their Wide Awake Its Morning release. Words can not describe how perfectly they nailed everything about this beer, you just have to taste it.

A - Pours a sort of reddish brown with a very small tan head that quickly fades and left minimal lacing as I savored every sip of this one.

S - Bam!! As every other review has stated so far, this smells like a straight up PB&J sandwich. I can't believe how blown away I was on the smell alone...couldn't wait to take my first sip. Loads of peanut buttery goodness in the nose which is followed up by the sweet smell of raspberry.

T - Just like mom used to make. Incredible! I can't believe the way they've managed to blend these flavors and pull of PB&J in a glass. You get lots of creamy, roasted peanut flavor up front and then the jelly sweetness moves right in as you finish your sip. Notes of raspberry, strawberry and grape are present here and are balanced perfectly with the residual nuttiness on the back end. Perfection!

M - Medium body with a nice level of carbonation. Again, everything is perfectly balanced.

O - It has been awhile since I tasted a beer that floored me just on one sip alone. The creativity in this beer is amazing and I wish everyone could taste this just once. Nice job, Funky Buddha!

4.77/5  rDev +14.1%

When Ryan first mentioned this beer to me months ago I was shaking my head thinking there is no way. I couldn't have been more wrong.

Pours a mild brown with vibrant crimson hues when held up to the light. A pillowy 1 finger head that disappears leaving a glassy top with an ever so slight cream ring around the edge of the glass.

Smells fan-freakin-tastic. If I was blind I would think mom put a peanut but and jelly sandwich in front of me. Really brings back memories of mom fixing an after snack after a long day of horsin around outside with Ur friends. Quite nostalgic!

No way the taste could live up to the nose right? WRONG! Idk what else can be said other than I'm eating a pb&j right now. Smooth creamy peanut butter, wonderfully fruity grape jelly and oddly enough a toasted bread flavor that makes the beer incredibly unique

Mouthfeel like all Buddha beers is incredible not super thick and not to thin just perfect

Overall I'm supremely impressed with this beer. As a homebrewer I've just found my next challenge. Great job guys!

4.9/5  rDev +17.2%

Deep brown body with mahogany edges and a thin off-white head that quickly turned to lace. The aroma exudes peanut butter and bready sweetness. Reminds me of the PB&J sandwiches I lived off of in Middle school. Flavor delivers a bold peanut butter note with a fruity strawberry-like finish. Plenty of residual peanut flavor in the aftertaste but the flash of fruit comes through nicely. Sweet underlying toasted grain and maybe some subtle caramel. Medium bodied with decent carbonation. Juicy mouthfeel with a slightly dry finish. Absolutely spot on in flavor. PB&J in a bottle. Simple and not as cloying as I thought it might be. Amazed at how well put together this is. Funky Buddha does it again.

4.42/5  rDev +5.7%

I missed this the first time it was served a couple of weeks ago, so I was excited to have a second opportunity to try it. First, let me say that if I had been blindfolded I would not be able to tell this beer from a PB&J sandwich based on smell. It was that spot-on. For a brown ale named "No Crusts PB&J", this beer is everything I expected. The only reason I gave it a 4 for tast is because I am not a PB&J sandwich fan. However, I would definitely have No Crusts again, though not in large quantities.

4.78/5  rDev +14.4%

On draft @ Funky Buddha

No carbonation, head or lacing, the reason for average on appearance. Something about bubbles and head, takes my eyes to a happy place. Seriously tastes and smells like a PB&J sandwich after coming out of a blender. Incredibly unique. Not thick making it easy drinking, until the sweetness in it creeps up. Somewhat difficult finishing the last bit of my second one. A must try for any beer drinker, even if liquid PB&J is not your speed...

On tap multiple times at the funky buddha.

I can some up the review for this beer in 1 sentence, even though most people would want to write paragraphs on it....

It tastes just like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich!

Ok i'll write a little more. The nose on this beer is beyond belief 10 years ago of what I thought a beer could be. Go to a store that has the machine that grinds peanut butter in front of you and stick your nose as close as you can to it, that is exactly what this beer smells like and tastes like!

4.54/5  rDev +8.6%

On-tap at the brewery. Poured into a FB snifter.

A: Pretty standard for a brown ale. Brown with slight purple highlights. A finger of sand colored head appears, retains well, and leaves some nice lace.

A: WTF! This is a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, not a beer. Huge notes of sweet peanuts, slight biscuity malt, and grape jelly.

T: What can I say? It tastes like a PB&J. This is just insane!

M: Medium body, good levels of carbonation deliver the flavors nicely.

O: The only knock I can give this beer is the drinkability. Probably couln't have more than a couple due to the sweetness, but overall this is outstanding. One of the more original brews I've had. The Buddah is brewing up some kick ass originality. Skal.

4.59/5  rDev +9.8%

Let me preface by saying the brewer was really cool and nice enough to pour me a sample of this from kegs they were saving! Awesome!

A: a nice medium brownish red with a slight murkiness to it. A small white head that fades quickly. Good.

S: its crazy! I get jelly upfront followed by a nutty peanut butter type flavor, I'm guessing from some roasted malts. I get some breadiness on the back! I cannot dispute that this smells like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich! Amazing!

T: I get a slight bitterness followed by a mild sweetness that is almost like a light jelly. I then get a nutty peanut butter and bready wall on the backend, but not at all cloying. Great beer! Exactly as advertised.

M: medium body with a fantastic carbonation. A nutty mild bitter finish. Very good!

O: first beer I've reviewed from them. It may sound weird, but this tastes amazing! This tastes exactly like a PB&J sandwich! Definitely try if you get the chance. Quality coming out of this small operation!

4.52/5  rDev +8.1%

Tasted during a recent visit to the lounge. From notes.

The head dies down quickly on this brew without much lacing, and while held up to the light it's surprisingly translucent; seems more like a small amber beer than a brown ale. But for such a light appearance the smell is overwhelming. Smooth, earthy peanut butter. There's some faint sweetness of jelly, but it's definitely a PB dominated nose.
The jelly comes up in full force in the taste, though. Neither flavor dominates, rather the peanut butter smoothness and fruity sweetness trade the limelight back and forth as the brew goes down. Smooth, clean finish, reminding me that it's actually a brown ale and not a sandwich.
Delicious until the end, the beer indeed offers the taste of PB&J (smooth and sweet) without the crusts (no roasty/malty/wheaty/bready flavors anywhere!). Great beer to try, but how many could I drink? That's a good question. How many PB&J sandwiches could I eat? I think its rich flavors might overwhelm me before I got to a second pint, no matter how easy to drink the beer itself is.

4.74/5  rDev +13.4%

A friend of mine told me that there was a beer that tasted just like peanut butter and jelly. Part of me thought that it would be terrible, but a much larger part of me wanted to have a glass. It is exactly what you would expect, the aroma is mostly peanut, but there is a fruit taste well blended with the peanut taste. In other words, it tastes exactly what you would want a peanut butter jelly beer to taste like. Personally I wouldn't have it as a session beer because I'm not a huge fan of jelly, but I think that everyone should have at least one glass of this beer. If you like peanut butter and jelly this beer is a must have.

4.87/5  rDev +16.5%

Sitting here with the Buddha family. Tasting some goodies. Ryan handed me this unlabeled bottled. Let's see whats up.

A: solid murky nut brown with a little stickiness and a fair head.

S: what the heck... It smells like someone is holding a beer pb and j under my nose. If I was blind folded... I honestly could not tell the difference. I am shocked.

T: great taste. Peanut up front then grape jelly all over the place with a mild roasted nut finish. This is creative brewing at it's best.
Well done.

M: medium feel. Pretty standard for a brown. Could be a pinch more chewy, but still good.

O: this beer totally nails what they are going for. Its pretty much dead on. Great job guys. Very creative.

This review is dedicated to my good friend "Pete".

4.62/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Once I heard the Funky Buddha released this beer I rushed over to check it out. I didn't want to miss this one like I did the Maple Bacon Coffee Porter. This is a peanut butter and jelly brown ale. It smells and tastes just like the classic sandwich.

The color is a rich dark brown. The only disappointment was the minimal head which left no lacing. The smell is true to the name and exactly what you hoped for. Taste is smooth and sweet, a good mix of sweet peanut butter and jelly. No bitterness at all and not overbearing. The flavor resonated in your mouth and forced me to order a second.

Overall, if you like semi-sweet beers this could be a solid session beers. The ABV is not too strong and it is a very drinkable. I am sure they will tap out of it today so If you are in the area head over and give it a shot.

Clarity: Clear for being Dark
Hue: Brownish/Red in color
Nose: Ughh Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich (Peanuts, Fruit, Bread)

No Crusts was released June 10th at the Funky Buddha in Boca Raton, FL.

This is exactly what a Peanut Butter and Jelly Beer should taste like. The nose leads to strong peanut butter with a slight hint of fruit. The taste has a nice attack of Jelly then then followed by the attack of the peanuts.

Unlike other beer that I have had with “peanut” flavoring, this beer doesn’t lay around and linger on your palate.

A true treat.

While I wouldn't be able to drink a bunch of these in one sitting, I will say that there isn't a single thing I would change about this beer.

4.87/5  rDev +16.5%

This beer is just redonkulous. People were telling me that it was exactly like a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich, but I was still a little skeptical. I'm now a true believe that everything about this beer is straight up a PB&J in a glass. The aroma and flavor is just so spot on that is nuts, literally. The peanuts are pretty dominate here but once you take your first sip you get the sweet jelly flavor as well. Needless to say this beer is awesome and I highly recommend it. Takes you right back to childhood.

No Crusts from Funky Buddha Brewery