No Crusts - Funky Buddha Brewery

Funky Buddha Brewery visit their website
Florida, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.40% ABV

Beer added by: dimenhetfield on 06-11-2011

Peanut butter and jelly brown ale
firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
4.78/5  rDev +14.9%

On draft @ Funky Buddha

No carbonation, head or lacing, the reason for average on appearance. Something about bubbles and head, takes my eyes to a happy place. Seriously tastes and smells like a PB&J sandwich after coming out of a blender. Incredibly unique. Not thick making it easy drinking, until the sweetness in it creeps up. Somewhat difficult finishing the last bit of my second one. A must try for any beer drinker, even if liquid PB&J is not your speed... (465 characters)

On tap multiple times at the funky buddha.

I can some up the review for this beer in 1 sentence, even though most people would want to write paragraphs on it....

It tastes just like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich!

Ok i'll write a little more. The nose on this beer is beyond belief 10 years ago of what I thought a beer could be. Go to a store that has the machine that grinds peanut butter in front of you and stick your nose as close as you can to it, that is exactly what this beer smells like and tastes like! (520 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +9.1%

On-tap at the brewery. Poured into a FB snifter.

A: Pretty standard for a brown ale. Brown with slight purple highlights. A finger of sand colored head appears, retains well, and leaves some nice lace.

A: WTF! This is a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, not a beer. Huge notes of sweet peanuts, slight biscuity malt, and grape jelly.

T: What can I say? It tastes like a PB&J. This is just insane!

M: Medium body, good levels of carbonation deliver the flavors nicely.

O: The only knock I can give this beer is the drinkability. Probably couln't have more than a couple due to the sweetness, but overall this is outstanding. One of the more original brews I've had. The Buddah is brewing up some kick ass originality. Skal. (727 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +10.3%

Let me preface by saying the brewer was really cool and nice enough to pour me a sample of this from kegs they were saving! Awesome!

A: a nice medium brownish red with a slight murkiness to it. A small white head that fades quickly. Good.

S: its crazy! I get jelly upfront followed by a nutty peanut butter type flavor, I'm guessing from some roasted malts. I get some breadiness on the back! I cannot dispute that this smells like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich! Amazing!

T: I get a slight bitterness followed by a mild sweetness that is almost like a light jelly. I then get a nutty peanut butter and bready wall on the backend, but not at all cloying. Great beer! Exactly as advertised.

M: medium body with a fantastic carbonation. A nutty mild bitter finish. Very good!

O: first beer I've reviewed from them. It may sound weird, but this tastes amazing! This tastes exactly like a PB&J sandwich! Definitely try if you get the chance. Quality coming out of this small operation! (991 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +8.7%

Tasted during a recent visit to the lounge. From notes.

The head dies down quickly on this brew without much lacing, and while held up to the light it's surprisingly translucent; seems more like a small amber beer than a brown ale. But for such a light appearance the smell is overwhelming. Smooth, earthy peanut butter. There's some faint sweetness of jelly, but it's definitely a PB dominated nose.
The jelly comes up in full force in the taste, though. Neither flavor dominates, rather the peanut butter smoothness and fruity sweetness trade the limelight back and forth as the brew goes down. Smooth, clean finish, reminding me that it's actually a brown ale and not a sandwich.
Delicious until the end, the beer indeed offers the taste of PB&J (smooth and sweet) without the crusts (no roasty/malty/wheaty/bready flavors anywhere!). Great beer to try, but how many could I drink? That's a good question. How many PB&J sandwiches could I eat? I think its rich flavors might overwhelm me before I got to a second pint, no matter how easy to drink the beer itself is. (1,070 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +13.9%

A friend of mine told me that there was a beer that tasted just like peanut butter and jelly. Part of me thought that it would be terrible, but a much larger part of me wanted to have a glass. It is exactly what you would expect, the aroma is mostly peanut, but there is a fruit taste well blended with the peanut taste. In other words, it tastes exactly what you would want a peanut butter jelly beer to taste like. Personally I wouldn't have it as a session beer because I'm not a huge fan of jelly, but I think that everyone should have at least one glass of this beer. If you like peanut butter and jelly this beer is a must have. (634 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +17.1%

Sitting here with the Buddha family. Tasting some goodies. Ryan handed me this unlabeled bottled. Let's see whats up.

A: solid murky nut brown with a little stickiness and a fair head.

S: what the heck... It smells like someone is holding a beer pb and j under my nose. If I was blind folded... I honestly could not tell the difference. I am shocked.

T: great taste. Peanut up front then grape jelly all over the place with a mild roasted nut finish. This is creative brewing at it's best.
Well done.

M: medium feel. Pretty standard for a brown. Could be a pinch more chewy, but still good.

O: this beer totally nails what they are going for. Its pretty much dead on. Great job guys. Very creative.

This review is dedicated to my good friend "Pete". (755 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Once I heard the Funky Buddha released this beer I rushed over to check it out. I didn't want to miss this one like I did the Maple Bacon Coffee Porter. This is a peanut butter and jelly brown ale. It smells and tastes just like the classic sandwich.

The color is a rich dark brown. The only disappointment was the minimal head which left no lacing. The smell is true to the name and exactly what you hoped for. Taste is smooth and sweet, a good mix of sweet peanut butter and jelly. No bitterness at all and not overbearing. The flavor resonated in your mouth and forced me to order a second.

Overall, if you like semi-sweet beers this could be a solid session beers. The ABV is not too strong and it is a very drinkable. I am sure they will tap out of it today so If you are in the area head over and give it a shot. (820 characters)

Clarity: Clear for being Dark
Hue: Brownish/Red in color
Nose: Ughh Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich (Peanuts, Fruit, Bread)

No Crusts was released June 10th at the Funky Buddha in Boca Raton, FL.

This is exactly what a Peanut Butter and Jelly Beer should taste like. The nose leads to strong peanut butter with a slight hint of fruit. The taste has a nice attack of Jelly then then followed by the attack of the peanuts.

Unlike other beer that I have had with “peanut” flavoring, this beer doesn’t lay around and linger on your palate.

A true treat.

While I wouldn't be able to drink a bunch of these in one sitting, I will say that there isn't a single thing I would change about this beer. (718 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +17.1%

This beer is just redonkulous. People were telling me that it was exactly like a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich, but I was still a little skeptical. I'm now a true believe that everything about this beer is straight up a PB&J in a glass. The aroma and flavor is just so spot on that is nuts, literally. The peanuts are pretty dominate here but once you take your first sip you get the sweet jelly flavor as well. Needless to say this beer is awesome and I highly recommend it. Takes you right back to childhood. (514 characters)

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last