Pineapple Hop Gun - Funky Buddha Brewery

Pineapple Hop Gun
No picture uploaded.

Funky Buddha Brewery visit their website
Florida, United States

(Beer added by: dimenhetfield on 06-26-2011)
4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

amber pour, lots of highlights of yellow and bright orange hints throughout. A light cloudiness lays in it as a three finger head of white comes up and over the top of the glass. Rich lacing down the sides yields a wonderfully complete look that is simply stunning. Aroma is huge, rich citrus notes that are dominated by a stunningly fresh fruit juice aroma. Rich pineapple, , ripe grapefruit and a wonderful fresh, hop aroma. So rich and fresh, I could have drank this for breakfast everyday and been happy. Each sip brought even more complex and stunningly wonderful flavors. Rich mango, orange, grapefruit, no hint of any malt balance here, just straight up hop juice mixed with tropical fruit that is balanced perfectly.

3.65/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Had this one on tap at the Funky Buddha for the Wide Awake It's Morning Release.

A - Pours a hazy, straw orange with a big foamy head that left spotty lacing throughout the glass.

S - Big, tart pineapple notes, followed by a piney resin, grapefruit and orange...loads of citrus on the nose.

T - My first taste was a little disappointing as I was really expecting more pineapple. Again, I'm getting loads of other citrus though...grapefruit and orange.

M - light / medium body with some nice carbonation, would have like a little more creaminess in this one though.

O - This is a really good IPA overall, I was just hoping for some more of that distinct biting pineapple flavor. At 7% this one drinks incredibly well.

3.65/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Had this yesterday at the brewpub. Review from notes. Received in a snifter.

3.5 A: Hazed amber color. Came without a head.

4.5 S: As advertised, there is a ton of pineapple. Lightly sugary. Behind that there is mango, grapefruit, light pine, and orange. Minimal malt component with a touch of caramel.

3.5 T: Not nearly as impressive as the nose. The tropical fruit is very much reduced. Moderate pineapple with just touches of mango, orange, and grapefruit. Light caramel and moderate maltiness overall.

3.0 M: Lighter medium body. Good moderate carbonation. The problem is that this is missing the creaminess that I love in good IPAs.

3.5 D: Decent beer, but unimpressive taste, especially given how good the nose was. This could have been great with a heavy round of dry-hopping.

4.3/5  rDev +0.7%

Thank you Ryan and my awesome girlfriend for the chance to try a few of the funky beers. this is the first one I have tried.

Reviewing this as an IPA as it states, not a double or imperial.

Pours a dark mustard color with a bit of head, thank God, cause this growler was an utter utter failure. it started to leak after about 10 hours, and no matter how much cranking was done on the cap, it kept leaking. gorilla tape seemed to have worked a bit... but I am excited it has carbonation still. But looks good.
While pouring the main thing I notice is the pinapple, the pour smells incredible, and I have not gotten closer than about 2 feet yet!
The nose is really incredible. Pineapple up front and in your face... and they meld beautifully with the citrus hop aroma backbone. This is exactly what you would want this to smell like. it actually might be the best smelling IPA I have ever had.
Actually, this is a regular IPA, not a double or imperial, it is easily the best smelling I have had.

taste is more bitter up front than I expected. it was the first thing to hit the palate.... odd. it is followed by a nice fresh pineapple flavor. The pineapple flavor, as I was thinking it might, seems like it is moving toward the other side of ripe. Over ripe, not rotten, but I think if this sat in the growler for a few more days at room temp it would have more of a rotten taste... which to be honest, i would expect from something that is infused with fresh fruit. So that being said, i get a lot of green apple, pineapple, obviously... and pine. I do wish this had not leaked so much so it was more carbed. There is a bit of a chemical taste on the finish, but not overly so.
This is a good IPA. I wish I had it right out of the tap, so it was a bit fresher.
mouthfeel is thinner, but it is a regular IPA, so it is expected. again, i cant knock points for the lower carbonation, because it wasnt their fault, it was the shitty medicine style growler.
Overall, this is a fantastic regular IPA, I think they need to make a double or imperial of this one, and see how that goes, because i think it would strip more from the pineapple and be absolutely amazing as well.

4.97/5  rDev +16.4%

I will start off by stating that I am obsessed with Hop Gun from the Buddha, which is the base beer for this one. When I heard that they were making a pineapple version of it I knew I had to try it. I definitely tried this beer because I had 3 in one day. I love fruity beers to begin with so fruit combined with an IPA and I was sold.

The nose on this beer is delicious. You could really smell the fresh pineapple combined with the hops. The fruit taste really complements this beer very nicely. The ABV I feel is just right where it's not too light, but you can drink more than one and be okay.

I am hoping that this beer sticks around for awhile. It will be exciting to see what other kind of adjuncts they pair with the Hop Gun too.

4.6/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours straw orange and super cloudy with a 2 finger head that leaves a think film across the top of the beer.

Smells like pineapple, orange, melon and other tropical fruits.

Tastes follows the nose tropical fruits with a hint of bitterness from the hops.

Mouth is creamy but not to much for the style

Buddha nails another!

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

On tap at the Wide Awake its Morning release at the funky buddha.

What a fantastic ipa this is? A lot of breweries seem to be adding fruit or wood aging their ipa's with mixed results in my opinion, but yet again the buddha has got this one right. Regular Hop Gun is a very nice IPA made with 6 different hops, this special edition is treating with real frest pineapple, and you can taste them while sipping this big beauty. 7.2% abv but it doesn't drink that big at all, very balanced and smooth. I wonder what the next version of hop gun is goin to be???

4.97/5  rDev +16.4%

Personal highlight of the day at the Imperial Maple Bacon Release (06/26/2011).

I have had No Crusts before, so while the entire crowd was going crazy over that, I decided to move towards the Hops.

P.H.G. did not let me down. Tons of Citrus (Grapefruit and Tangerine) is present in the attack of the beer, then the sweetness from the Pineapple shines in the mid-palate, followed by a nice hop bitterness on the back-end. I drank multiples of these, and would go back for more if I didn't have to cut myself off.

This is a true Summer IPA!

4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

On draft for Wide Awake It’s Morning release. Another one that I missed out on first time around but I’m glad they released it again. This one just oozes pineapple and citrus in the aroma. Grapefruit lingers in the flavor along with hops and malts. Another incredible beer.

Pineapple Hop Gun from Funky Buddha Brewery