BBL-1 - Funky Buddha Brewery

No picture uploaded.

Funky Buddha Brewery visit their website
Florida, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: dimenhetfield on 07-17-2011)
4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

3.75/5  rDev -6.7%

3.5/5  rDev -12.9%

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

3.89/5  rDev -3.2%

Had during Brewvival 2013! Served from tap into a Brewvival sampler shaker. Poured a deep red-orange with a one finger off-white head that subsided to a minimal amount slowly. Maintained excellent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, basil, earth, earth hop, pine, and subtle citrus hop. The flavor was of sweet malt, basil, earth, earth hop, pine, and pine hop. It had a light feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was a fairly good brew. Once I saw this one up on the banner I knew I had to give it a try. I am a big fan of herbed and spiced brews so this one was definitely intriguing. The basil was definitely the most dominate factor going on in this one as it was quite strong and pronounced throughout. While I’m glad that Funky Buddha experimented by making this one, I think the basil really wasn’t needed at least not with this kind of intensity. Still rather refreshing and potent with what they were trying to get across in this brew.

3.98/5  rDev -1%

From notes. Thanks to hoptualbrew for the hook up. Growler poured into my founders tulip.

A: Clear copper color. The pour produced a two finger head that retained well and left tons of sticky lace.

A: Basil and hops all the way. Strangely enough the earthy and verbal qualities of the basil play very well with the piney aroma of the hops.

T: It's a good thing I like basil, because this is what the brew tastes like. A hefty amount of sweet caramel malt balances the herbal qualities quite nicely. not much alcohol shines through, and the beer finishes dry and bitter as it should.

M: a touch thin here for my liking, but the carbonation is spot on.

O: I am a huge fan of originality in my beer, and for that, this is a Home run. I couldn't drink a lot of this, but a coue of pints is just what the doctor ordered. Cheers.

4.22/5  rDev +5%

Poured from a quart growler into a New Belgium globe. Thanks to HoptualBrew for picking this up for me a couple days ago at Funky Buddha.

Appearance: Pours a medium amber color with orange highlights and a 1 finger creamy off-white head. Nice head retention and lacing.

Smell: Basil shines through with a bit of herbal hops and just a touch of lime in the background. Smell is spicy, malty and fairly sweet.

Taste: Basil is prominent up front followed by sweet malt and a touch of lime in the middle before ending with a solid amount of piney hops at the finish. The aftertaste is longlasting and fairly spicy with basil and hops coming through. I wish the lime was more prominent, but there's really not much room to complain here. Very well-balanced.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with a decent amount of carbonation. Very smooth.

Drinkability: High drinkability. I'm going to have no trouble downing 32 ounces of this one.

Overall: Very good beer overall. This is my first beer from Funky Buddha and it didn't disappoint. I like that they went in a strange direction - Basil and lime - and pulled it off. If you get a chance to try this one, it's definitely worth a shot.

4.33/5  rDev +7.7%

On draft at Funky Buddha. Another crazy concoction from the Funky Buddha crew, with help from the Boca Beer Lovers. When I first heard the word basil thrown in the mix I thought that it was gonna taste a little crazy but this is a damn good beer. The basil flavor is right up front in the aroma and flavor. The lime is somewhat subtle but makes it’s presence felt on the back end. The description says basil and that’s exactly what you get. Great job guys!!

BBL-1 from Funky Buddha Brewery
- out of 100 based on 8 ratings.