Last Snow - Funky Buddha Brewery

No picture uploaded.

Funky Buddha Brewery visit their website
Florida, United States

American Porter |  6.50% ABV

Coffee Porter w/ coconut, white chocolate and caramel

(Beer added by: brentk56 on 11-18-2011)

Evan, Jun 08, 2012
4.35/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Capone's the other night.

The beer pours a dark brown color with fairly good head retention and light lacing. The nose on this beer is just great, as I picked up considerable coffee, vanilla and light coconut. On the palate... yowsza!!! This is just delicious. The beer is moderately sweet, but with a boatload of coconut to go along with the coffee and vanilla. Yummm!!! Mouthfeel is light to medium, but with a long, rich, sweet and light creamy finish. Alcohol is completely unnoticeable.

Couple of thoughts about this beer. Obviously, it's a fine beer, but I was amazed by the amount of flavor it delivered considering the (relatively) low alcohol. Also, drinkability was just off the charts; I could drink this all day. This beer really pushes the envelope (as did all the FB beers I've tried), and was just so much fun to drink. Kudos to the brewer for making such an ususual, yet still very fine beer.

John_M, Jun 07, 2012
4.6/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark inky black with dense cap of small brown bubbles. Before the beer event got to my nose, I was excited as notes of Mounds candy bars began popping into my head. Full dark chocolate and coconut nose with notes of dark roasted espresso. Taste brings bitter dark roast espresso before "mellowing" into dark dark chocolate and coconut, maybe a hint of vanilla dark berries. Fuller side of medium bodied, smooth and creamy. Fantastic beer that smells sooo good, the taste almost cant live up to the hype without actually eating a Mounds bar.

rfgetz, Jun 07, 2012

sideshowe, Jun 06, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -21.9%

BeerThursdays, Jun 06, 2012
4.93/5  rDev +10%

Had on-tap at Capone's in Norristown, PA.

Poured a deep, rich brown color with a small & quickly receding head that left spotty lacing. A bit syrupy looking. The aroma was incredible. One of the best smelling beers I've ever had the pleasure of enjoying. Roasty coffee and coconut in the forefront, with rich chocolate in the background. I'm surprised I got that much from the aroma because it wasn't long before I took a sip...and wow. The coconut, chocolate and coffee all come together to form some kind of amazing tropical chocolate milk beer that I've never tasted anything similar to. Someone here compared it to a mounds bar, and that's about right...only this is like a gourmet mounds beer. The mouthfeel is rich though I wish it were a bit thicker...I feel I would have enjoyed it even more.

I have also had the Maple Bacon Coffee Porter on tap and I feel this beer is better. I can't wait to have more...unfortunately there won't be many opportunities for it up here in PA but I'll enjoy it while it's here for Beer Week! If you can get your hands on it, try it.

MsRif, Jun 04, 2012
4.8/5  rDev +7.1%

Was really happy to have this beer on tap at capones. There are very few beers that literal make me say "holy shit". This was one of them. Definitely the best beer of the event.

Poured black with no head. Usually there is something, but nothing. The aroma was one of the best of any beer I have ever had. Lots of coconut, caramel, and coffee. The coffee was extremely fresh and the coconut was pungent. It smelled, and subsequently tasted like a mounds bar with coffee, except much better than any mounds bar or coffee I have had. The only complaint I would have is that It could have used a bit more of a heavy mouthfeel. Otherwise, it is astounding what this brewery could pack into 6.5%. I had high hopes for this beer and it without a doubt delivered.

Agold, Jun 04, 2012
4.48/5  rDev 0%

A-dark brown black color with a small tan head and no significant lacing

S-rich coffee, chocolate, coconut

T-coffee, chocolate, toasted coconut, roasted malt, and even hint of mint

F-medium body with light to medium carbonation, smooth and rich

O-a delicious Porter, a great sipper. Makes me want to seek out the Maple Bacon Coffee

MDDMD, Jun 04, 2012
4.6/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

First had: on tap at Capone's, Norristown, PA

Yes, yes, this was the best of the bunch for sure. Dark brown-black body with a thin cap of tan head; retained as a small ringlet and left a bit of lacing. Aroma: think macaroon cappuccino. This is another great example of me liking in a beer what I do not like otherwise. Specifically coconut. And coffee. Taste was an overwhelming surge of rich coffee, sweet like a sugary cappuccino, laced with chewy chocolate, vanilla, and lesser notes of coconut, and even a bit of cinnamon and mint. Great. Full body, creamy smooth mouthfeel, tasted great cooler and warmer. Could probably pass for a stout, as full-bodied as it was. Very nice. Want more.

I'll put this one down as my favorite Funky Buddha beer.

Rifugium, Jun 03, 2012
4.93/5  rDev +10%

On tap at Capones event today.

A - Pours a rich chocolate brown with a small head that leaves some small residue of lacing on the glass. Looks great in the glass.

S - Rich coconut wafting from the glass entices you for what is to come. Some secondary coffee and roasted malts with a bit of chocolate, but the coconut steals the show here.

T - Some might say that the coconut makes it too sweet, but I found it to be spectacular. Wonderful flavor of coconut, chocolate, and coffee all blended together perfectly in a glass. Could not ask for more to be honest.

M - Very nice, rich enough for a porter. I could drink this all night long. Tremendous.

For me, the star of the show today. Great event, if the Maple Bacon Coffee is better than this, it must be mind blowing.

This was one of the better beers I have had this year. I would search this one out if you can.

Beerisheaven, Jun 03, 2012

brez8791, Jun 03, 2012

ricksrealm, May 20, 2012
4.45/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

2012, 22oz bottle split two ways.

Pours very dark brown, with a small whitish foam that settles quickly. Not particularly inviting.

The smell on the other hand is incredible. The aroma pops, just like Wide Awake and No Crusts. A lot of toasted coconut, vanilla, chocolate, coffee, and a hint of lime/mint in the background. Delicious and inviting, almost like a Mounds bar crossed with a Andes mint.

The taste is close but doesn't quite match incredible nose, but it's still damn good. Again, a lot of coconut, roasted malts and coffee, milk chocolate.

Mouthfeel is pretty light, I would have liked more body to match the creamy, lush flavors.

Overall, another fantastic beer from Funky Buddha. This one is delicious and unique. I look forward to having more in the future.

islandboi8204, May 16, 2012
4.45/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle shared by Jason. Served in a Captain Lawrence tulip.

A - Quick-dissolving off-white foam settles to a thin collar, and a few wisps, but negligible lace. Very dark brown body.

S - Smells a lot like the Maple Bacon Coffee Porter, but with toasted coconut. Delicious. If you want to know more, go read my review of that beer.

T - The taste doesn't quite match the incredible aroma, but it's still very good. A nice collection of coconut, rich coffee, roasted malts, nuts, and milk chocolate.

M - Slightly light in body, even for the listed 6.5% - somewhere on the lighter side of medium in any case. Lower carbonation, and a fairly clean finish.

D - Another very enjoyable brew from Funky Buddha. A bit more heft would make this world-class. I would have no problem drinking a bomber of this on my own. Hopefully the recipes translate when they get their production facility up and running.

MasterSki, Apr 23, 2012

THECPJ, Apr 23, 2012
4.48/5  rDev 0%

On-tap at Brewvival 2102

Pours a very dark brown with a dense ivory head. Huge aromas of coconut, chocolate, vanilla, and caramel. Like a liquid Mounds bar. Taste is spot-on with the nose, sweet and decadent with tons of coconut flavor. Medium-full bodied, with a creamy mouthfeel and good carbonation. Another amazing Funky Buddha beer, these guys easily stole the show this year.

jsanford, Apr 22, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +6%

sbricker, Apr 22, 2012

afksports, Apr 17, 2012

KevSal, Apr 17, 2012
4.43/5  rDev -1.1%

Kanos777 shared this one last Saturday. Thanks!

Appearance: A translucent dark brown pour produces half an inch of eggshell colored head that quickly recedes to a collar - not unexpected for a beer with this many adjuncts. Could stand to be a shade or two darker, but who cares.

Smell: Fucking wow, this is outrageously aromatic. Sweet, buttery coconut is by far the dominant quality here at first, but with a bit of swishing and swirling (and spilling) the coffee comes out, along with some cocoa-like dark malt that pairs well with the potency of the coconut.

Palate: In contrast to the aroma, this tastes much more coffee-forward and rather dry. Coconut is present, but it's dialed back a bit; the sheer intensity of coconut on the nose gives an illusion of sweetness that is surprisingly absent from the palate. There's a sturdy backbone of dark malt flavors, with moderate roasted bitterness coming from both malt and coffee. The body is unfortunately rather thin; it's the only real flaw of the beer, but it's not an insubstantial one. I may be unfairly comparing this to Minneapolis Town Hall's Three Hour Tour, which brings a lot of the same flavors with a much heftier mouthfeel due to the liberal use of lactose.

Overall: My first beer from Funky Buddha and I now understand why these guys are so damn hyped right now. Excellent stuff.

largadeer, Apr 16, 2012

leschkie, Apr 15, 2012

whartontallboy, Apr 15, 2012
4.35/5  rDev -2.9%

My brother won a 22oz bottle of this from Ryan's Funky Buddha trivia contest on the forums. Shared with him and some great BAs at the end of tonight's tasting.

Un-labeled, unmarked brown bomber with a silver cap. Brown pour like most porters, minimal head or lace. But honestly, none of that matters when you can smell this beauty from across the room.

Heaps of fresh coconut, vanilla, chocolate, and coffee blend in perfect harmony to create one of the best aromas I've ever smelled. Traces of mint in the background. Each of us was hesitant to drink our respective pours because the aroma was so damn good. It's difficult to convey just how incredible this scent actually was, but I'll say this: I would not hesitate to purchase this scent as an air freshener for every room in my apartment.

Ratings over-inflation really deprives this beer of its glory, though I'll readily admit my guilt in this regard. Last Snow is one of the few beers absolutely deserving of a 5.0 in the aroma category. I saved the final ounce of mine for many hours after the bottle kicked just so I could continue sniffing it. Only other beer I've done that with was 2010 Chocolate Rain.

Taste holds a stronger malty character, backed up by coffee and vanilla. Coconut is here too but more subtle. A touch sweet in the middle, yet finishes with a strong surge of coffee and lingering coffee bitterness. A great flavor profile -- no doubt -- but it's overshadowed by this beer's impeccable aroma.

Only real flaw is its lack of body. Toss in a few oats to thicken this brew up and you'll get more arbitrary beer geek points from reviewers like me. But more importantly, please start brewing this on a commercial scale! Ryan & crew have ridiculous talent at brewing, and it's a shame that very few people have had a chance to enjoy the fruits of their labor.

Between EBF and tonight, I'm counting my blessings. Not nearly enough BAs have gotten to try these Funky Buddha masterpieces, and I'm glad I got to share two of them with friends this evening. Can't wait for them to expand!

brystmar, Apr 15, 2012