1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Morning Wood - Funky Buddha Brewery

Morning Wood
No picture uploaded.

Funky Buddha Brewery visit their website
Florida, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.20% ABV

Availability: Fall

Wide Awake It’s Morning on a whiskey barrel

(Beer added by: Jason on 01-19-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 40 | Reviews: 9 | Show All Ratings:
manutdfan

On tap at the funky buddha 3rd anniversary party. I feel lucky to have been able to have this beer on multiple occasions.

Dark as night pour, very little head retention, but who cares about all of that. U want to know about the tastes. As amazing as it's ever been. Tons of bacon goodness on the nose, hints of coffee and the barrel on the front end, a touch of sweetness on the back end, basically all the flavors u want in a beer.

PERFECT.

09-29-2013 02:46:23 | More by manutdfan
ELS

4.85/5  rDev +2.3%

On tap at FBL's second anniversary party.

A - Dark brown with a thin layer of foam. Fairly opaque with the color somewhat murky.

S - Coffee (but not overpowering), definitely some bourbon, sweet maple. Smells enticing but not quite as great as some other FBL porters and stouts.

T - Hands down one of the best tasting stouts I've ever had. The bourbon blends so well with the other flavors that you feel like you are sipping an excellent, smooth cordial not a beer. The 11.2 % abv is well hidden and makes it easy to drink fast but who would want to do that?

M - This beer feels very smooth/velvety and almost as enjoyable before its swallowed. I don't recall any stickyness like other FBL offerings. I know "that's what she said"

O - Definitely my favorite beer from Funky Buddha. I feel very lucky to have tried it since it is rarely brewed. I've never had Dark lord, KBS or even BCBS but I would have to believe Morning Wood is at least in the same league.

10-03-2012 18:12:17 | More by ELS
Alieniloquium

4.68/5  rDev -1.3%

On-tap at the Funky Buddha's 2nd Anniversary Party. Served in a Funky Buddha snifter. This version is apparently genuinely bourbon barreled in Palm Ridge barrels.

Appearance - Like Wide Awake, it's black without being inky. Some wisps of khaki bubbles. Slightly sticky.

Smell - So it smells nice than Wide Awake, but not enough to mark it up. It's got the same brilliant coffee aroma blended with the smoked malts, but the barrel mellows both. Bourbon with just the slightest hint of earthiness and oak. Subtle barrel character.

Taste - And that subtle barrel character is what really separates this from Wide Awake. It's definitely not overpowering with the bourbon. It's there, but it blends with the coffee and mutes the acidity. It amplifies the earthy character of the coffee and amplifies the maple. The smoke acts as a counterpart to the sweetness and reminds me just a little bit of CBS. It's phenomenal.

Mouthfeel - Nothing near 11.5%. I nearly gulped it down in hopes of ordering a second, but it was long gone. None of the astringent characteristics of Wide Awake come through.

Overall - One of the best tasting stouts I've ever had. I don't know who called this an RIS, but it definitely isn't. It's all about the blending of smoke, maple, bourbon, and coffee to create a near perfect balance, a la CBS. I can't wait for Funky Buddha to open their new brewery and make this a year-round 12 ounce for $9.99 a sixer. Ok, so I'm dreaming.

09-30-2012 04:24:33 | More by Alieniloquium
jlindros

4.8/5  rDev +1.3%

Keg at EBF.

Creamy darker head, super dark brown beer with a hint of rosy light.

Nose fresh espresso roasted coffee, chocolate, dark and bakers, pure cocoa, hint of bourbon and oak, with touch vanilla as well.

Taste is pure heaven, lots of dark chocolate and cocoa, fresh espresso, coffee, touch maple and some vanilla, bit more whisky but not sure if bourbon, and hints of smoke that remind me of bacon somewhat. Some bitterness, no burnt flavors, earthy hops on finish. Smooth and just delicious.

Mouth is full bodied, luscious and a bit creamy, barely any booze.

Overall just amazing. Awesome flavors, blended well and smooth, very little booze, so delicious, I wish I could get more. No bad off flavors either. This was literally THE talk of the entire fest.

02-13-2012 12:55:41 | More by jlindros
mdfb79

4.63/5  rDev -2.3%

From 02/03/12 notes. On tap at NOTB up in Boston, MA.

a - Pours a pitch black color with an inch or two of dark tan head and moderate carbonation evident. Looks like a pretty great RIS.

s - Smells of coffee grinds, whiskey, vanilla, oak, roasted malts, espresso, and dark chocolate. Pure coffee smell to it, and the whiskey and vanilla comes through nicely. No real maple in the nose but still really nice.

t - Tastes of coffee grinds, roasted malts, dark chocolate, whiskey, vanilla, sweet dark fruits, maple/sugar, and oak. A little bit sweeter than the nose and less whiskey then the nose, but I still really like it.

m - Medium to full body and moderate carbonation. Thick like motor oil, but not hot at all. Very nice body.

o - Overall a really great RIS, and one of the best beers of the weekend. Pure coffee in the nsoe and taste, but the whiskey comes through nicely. Great body, would love to have this one again.

02-10-2012 01:45:09 | More by mdfb79
oline73

Maryland

4.45/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I was able to grab 3 pours (2 of my own and one from my wife) at Night of the Barrels.

Appearance: Pours a very dark brown to black color with a layer of smooth tan head that fades to a ring around the pour and leaves some decent lacing on the plastic cup.

Smell: Sweet malt up front with nutty coffee, maple, and some roast. I'm getting some mild alcohol, but not very much.

Taste: This is a very sweet beer, but it works quite well. The barrel seems to enhance the maple flavor, but the coffee stands out as well. I'm not getting a whole lot from the bacon here, but everything I'm picking up I'm loving.

Mouthfeel: The body is thick with smooth carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: I love me some maple stouts, so this is right up my alley. I was going to give it a 5 here, but then I tried the regular version the next day and enjoyed that even more. Fantastic and I feel very fortunate to have tried it.

02-08-2012 03:48:03 | More by oline73
brystmar

Reviewed from notes at NotB this past weekend. Was fortunate enough to enjoy 2.5 pours of this gem before it kicked.

Extremely viscous and pitch-black body. Mounds of dark brown head stew on the surface, clutching the sides of my tasting cup for dear life. Hard to believe this isn't nitro.

Freshly roasted coffee erupts from the foam, turning heads across the room. Roasty malts and caramel sugar join the fray. Reminds me of a fresh mocha espresso drink from my favorite coffee shop. Easily one of the best aromas I've ever smelled from *any* beverage, let alone a beer.

Taste is nothing short of revolutionary. Everything from the nose is here in full force with unbelievable depth of flavor and complexity at every corner. Whiskey barrels impart just the right amount of flavor; many brewers these days go nuts and over-emphasize the barrel character, but this was just right.

Huge, creamy body carries the torrent of flavors home flawlessly. Morning Wood is on the sweeter side of the spectrum, but still balances exceptionally well. The litmus test for this is my brother (who despises sweetness in beer, stouts in particular), and his illuminated face confirmed my suspicion that this was his new favorite beer.

It's easy to get caught up in the fury of this magical nectar while you're drinking it and make superlative claims left and right, which is why I decided to wait until after the weekend to collect my thoughts. That said, I can confidently say this is the best beer I've ever had. Morning Wood is simply on another level from every other stout.

How Funky Buddha managed to outclass every single other brewer at NotB & EBF is a mystery, but that isn't important; I just need more of this beer!

02-07-2012 16:35:42 | More by brystmar
dimenhetfield

Traveled all the way from FL to show the Buddha support and to try this beer. Well the Buddha didn't disappoint in the slightest. Easily the best non sour beer at NOTB. The coffee, maple, whiskey barrel character was all there and very well balanced. Way to kill em Buddha!!!

02-05-2012 19:22:43 | More by dimenhetfield
kingcrowing

Vermont

On tap poured into a sampling glass at Night of the Barrels 2012, easily the best non-sour beer of the fest.

Pours a super dark black with a creamy dark brown head that is a bit nitro-esque. Nose is just phenomenal, coffee, coffee, coffee - like a fresh cup of espresso with some chocolate and maple notes.

If the aroma wasn't enough to get your juices flowin, one sip and you'll say "Why the fuck haven't I been drinking this my whole life?" so well balanced, it is a coffee bomb but the light maple and oaky vanilla notes give it just the right sweetness. Mouthfeel is thick and creamy and the fresh coffee both demolishes your palate and lingers beautifully for a long time.

My first funky Buddha beer and I'm beyond sold.

02-05-2012 13:42:20 | More by kingcrowing