Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Ghost Drifter Pale Ale - Odyssey Beerwerks

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews by MaddDogg84:
4.5/5  rDev +22%

4.25/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.53/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Yes, the previous reviewer, the legandary woodychandler, hooked me up with this beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a deep golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell has a bit of hops, a touch of malts. Taste is well balanced hops and malts, some citrus, a mild bitterness, very smooth and drinkable. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall makes for a good session beer.

3.25/5  rDev -11.9%

I am surprised at the low scores. This is a near perfect beer. I was really shocked when I picked up a six pack of cans. Looked like nothing special and was on sale at my local store(Most of the stuff on sale there are beers that do not sell well.) When I poured it in a thistle glass, I absolutely freaked out- It’s really dark in color for a "Pale Ale" and I have never seen a cloudy-er beer. It’s just filled with yeast and sediment. Completely unfiltered beer at its finest. Even more so than home-brew. I believe this is as close as one will ever get to a home brewed beer, from a store bought can or bottle.
The taste was balanced and super delicious. Aroma was insane as well. Now, one thing I should mention, I live only an hour drive from the brewery in Arvada and I have a feeling the cans I sampled were super-duper fresh. Seriously, it tasted so freshly made. Do whatever you can to try this one! (*Note the ABV listed on this page is wrong. The ABV is 5.8, not 5.1) IBUs = 36

3.02/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

App: Dark, sweet potato orange. Almost opaque due to what I believe is fine hops sediment. Decent off white head head that dissipates fairly quickly living rings and and a good amount of lacing.
Smell: Spicy hops assertiveness in the nose. Tiny bit of alpha acid twinge. Little bit of grapefruit and other citrus, but by no means overwhelming.
Taste: Slightly bitter and tanic. Not a lot of hop assertiveness here, definitely less than some other APA counterparts. Slightly solvent like, which is a little off putting. Not enough hops to mask the alcohol. Overall, sort of boring. Pleasantly bitter, but lacking the multi-stage, adventuresome hopacity of many APAs.
Mouth: Decent body, but a little watery for a pale ale. Nice carb. Nothing special.

3.28/5  rDev -11.1%

Another big find from my late-July/early-August visit to The Old Lady in CANorado! The trip was not a total waste, although I wish that we would have parted on better terms. It became obvious that she has her life and I have mine and also that CANorado has a LOT of CANs in furtherance of The CANQuest (TM).

From the CAN: "This is a session beer where four different hops form the backbone of this salute to the Ameri[CAN] Pale Ale. Poured in a glass, the hops aroma will hit you before your lips touch the glass. The hops flavors will wake up the taste buds, but even with all the hops, there is very little lingering bitterness."

There was enough obvious head space following the Crack that I segued directly into an inverted Glug. I was getting a pseudo-cascading action that in turn was forming better than two fingers of dense, tawny head with good retention before I backed off. Color was a hazy orangish-amber (SRM = > 13, < 17). Nose was redolent with grapefruit and my mouth was beginning to water. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste did not really match the nose, which was disappointing. It was hoppy, but not in the way that the nose had indicated. Instead, it seemed muted and I began to wonder how they had accomplished all of this. I was also CANcerned about their calling it a "session beer" as that term gets thrown around a good bit lately, not always correctly. Would they have somehow thinned down a stronger beer? Finish had, as advertised, very little lingering bitterness." I was really underwhelmed by this one. It will further The CANQuest (TM), but that is about it. I now feel like I really need to get a fix. A hops fix, that is.

3.6/5  rDev -2.4%

3.75/5  rDev +1.6%

3.57/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Handsome dark amber color, maybe a slight haze. Modest foam in the tumbler but a fine-grained carbonation that tickles the tongue. Smells like blackberries and piney hops.

Slightly gummy, dark, and with a leafy note. Resiny and malty, a little sweet. This is on the acidic side with a sharp bitter tang. The hops are quite robust and turn more bitter after a few sips. There is an unusual fruity flavor which maybe is the four hop varieties fighting with each other.

This is an oddly rich and malty but perfectly quaffable brew. It's not the light and zingy style, but it's plenty hoppy. From the 12 oz can purchased at Wilbur's Total Beverage in Fort Collins.

3.57/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

The best – or worst, for some – part of this beer would be how micro-esque it is. Lots of haze. Untamed flavors. It has high notes and low notes, but I'd say it stands out from the typical American pale ale.

Aside for the haze, this beer has and keeps a solid head and sticky lacing, more commonly seen in highly touted brews. I'd give it a full pass if I didn't clearly see sediment at the bottom of my glass.

Smells are fruity and pleasant. Lots of citrus. pretty standard, but not bad.

I agree with previous reviewers that what stands out most is its mouthfeel: It coats the mouth, almost to the level of a solid wheat beer. Unfortunately the taste doesn't quite back that up. Hops win out on this one, with lots of fruity, citrusy quality muddled with some funk and bread. It's what I refer to as a beer salad: Lots of good components, but they don't really "blend."

That said, lots of solid characteristics here. If it were my friend's brew, I'd tell him to enter some competitions. Since it's not, I'd say there's a little more work to do here.

3.25/5  rDev -11.9%

4.25/5  rDev +15.2%

3.6/5  rDev -2.4%

3.98/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev +1.6%

3.67/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Ghost Drifter Pale Ale from Odyssey Beerwerks
- out of 100 based on 8 ratings.