Ellida IPA - Quest Brewing Co.

Ellida IPA
No picture uploaded.
good

Quest Brewing Co. visit their website
South Carolina, United States

(Beer added by: thagr81us on 07-20-2013)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by jploving:
3.76/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Once again my brother comes through...he donated 1/2 growler for my tasting pleasure of the Ellida IPA from my neighboring county brewery-Quest.
Smells nice and hoppy- mostly pine with sutble hints of grapefruit rind.
The color has a very nice orange hue....slightly cloudy which I love (reminds me of unfiltered homebrew)...
Earthy pine resin is the dominate taste sensation w/ grapefruit rind, apricot and maybe pineapple?---but only a hint.
The bitterness is upfront yet subtle...and lingers a while after the swallow.Bitter yet smooth.
The taste is very good but one thing is off...the body is thin.
This nice balance of taste needs a heartier backbone, and that could easily put this beer around a rating of 4.
I will revisit this beer...and update this reveiw a little later....certainly want to give this one a chance to win....but until the next tasting I will have to rate it 3.75.

3.65/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Just tapped a brand new keg at Flynn's in Greenwood, SC. Served in a tulip glass so I could give this beer a full breath before I gave it a trial run.

A - Poured a nice burnt orange with about 20% translucence - really nice look in the glass.

S - Citrusy hops from the start, then I began to pick up some faint banana on the end.

T- The hops are there from beginning to end, but I do get a nice maltiness in the middle. Nicely bitter on the end.

M - Light to medium on the tongue. The bitter piece keeps it on the light side, but the malt fills the mouth well

O - Congatulations to the Quest Team - a really nice, drinkable IPA right out of the starting blocks.

3.86/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

“West Coast style IPA with loads of hops and balanced out with five varieties of malts.”

Served from tap into a Raleigh Rare & Vintage Beer Tasting snifter. Poured a dark yellow-orange with a half finger off-white head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. Maintained phenomenal lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, earth, earth hop, fruit, grass, and subtle onion. The flavor was of sweet malt, earth, citrus hop, citrus, onion hop, and grass. It had a light feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was a pretty decent brew. I really like on the flavor of this one how the citrus balanced out just about every aspect that was going on. There was quite a bit of earthiness going on here, but there was definitely a good balance for it in the form of the grassy notes and citrus. I was really quite pleased with this one as was my palate. Tick.

4.25/5  rDev +14.6%

3.68/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a hazy, copper color. 1/4 inch head of an off-white color. Great retention and great lacing. Smells of citrus hops, hops, alcohol, and sweet malt. Fits the style of an American IPA. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of citrus hops, citrus (mango?), sweet malt, hint of alcohol, hint of yeast, and a hint of earthy malt. Overall, good appearance, body, and blend, but still an average IPA.

3.25/5  rDev -12.4%

3.5/5  rDev -5.7%

I love to support local breweries and this is a pretty solid one. They are still rather small and young (I think they opened in June of 2013.)
I say that because I really want to love this beer because of its local connections but it's getting harder to. The first time I had Ellida I was not impressed. I would have rated it 3/5. The next few times I would raise my rating to 4.5/5. Recently it's been more like 3.5/5. This inconsistency may be attributed to the infancy of the brewery.
Two things that are always consistent are the color and the nose. Ellida pours a beautiful yellowish copper color and smells great. Hops galore on the nose! Lacing is always perfect too!
Tastes have ranged from dry and hoppy to piney to industrial cleaner. Hopefully the brewery gets this inconsistency resolved.
The aftertaste is very hoppy and bitter but invites you to have another sip.
It's hard to recommend this beer because I don't know if you will get a good batch or a mediocre one but if you live in or near Greenville, SC you should at least try Ellida and support a local brewer.

4.5/5  rDev +21.3%

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ellida IPA from Quest Brewing Co.