1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Kaldi Imperial Coffee Stout - Quest Brewing Co.

Kaldi Imperial Coffee Stout
No picture uploaded.

Quest Brewing Co. visit their website
South Carolina, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: thagr81us on 08-19-2013)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by jploving:
3.69/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

My brother and I took a little trip to the Growler Haus in Spartanburg SC.
It is a new establishment in our town and I have to give it 2 thumbs up!....
Greenville is a neighboring county and they have a new brewery...Quest Brewing Company.
Since I have yet to get over to the brewery itself, I (and my brother) were excited to see this on tap.
Poured up black with minimal light-tan head, which gave it a somewhat thin appearance.
I did not get a lot of coffee flavors from the aroma but more cocoa powder.
The taste is very good but not what I thought it would be...definitly cocoa powder, a mild coconut flavor and only a hint of coffee. There was a nice balance of bittering hops to accompany the sweetness-felt the bitterness as the liquid went down the gullett. The body was not in tune with the abv-a little to thin-but my guesstimate on the abv is that it is accurate-8% felt good on an empty stomach.
The beer was good-I certainly enjoyed it-but needs more coffee as the name suggests.
...I will include this note...when we were ordering the beer at the bar, a young lady was enjoying this same beer, and she stated that "it is a lot of coffee[flavor]"....so maybe my buds were just a little off this time....I think this beer will end up with a local following...
3.65 rating

3.5/5  rDev -12.1%

4.25/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

"Kaldi was the Ethiopian goat-herder who discovered the coffee plant, according to popular legend. This stout is brewed with West End Coffee Company’s freshly-roasted beans and cacao nibs. The end result is a complex, smooth beer that will sure to intrigue the palette."

Served from tap into a shaker. Poured pitch black with a half finger light tan head that subsided to a minimal amount slowly. Maintained phenomenal lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, maple syrup, coffee, toffee, roasted malt, dark chocolate, and subtle nuttiness. The flavor was of sweet malt, maple syrup, coffee, nutty, roasted malt, dark chocolate, and earth. It had a medium feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was a pretty good brew. Based on my experience with this ones big brother I had earlier this year, I was really happy to see this one sitting on the tap list the other day. Very nice complexity going on in this one that made it very easy to drink and quite enjoyable. The ABV really doesn't play a role in this one at all (unless you drink too many of course). I could see this one getting quite a few people in trouble quite easily. Definitely worth your time seeking this one out. Tick.

Tap at Grapevine. Super dark brown, near black. A nice viscosity to it. Light brown ring and some whisps on top.

Aroma, Roasty, heavy dark roast coffee and cocoa beans. It is nicely potent.

Taste, strong roast again, mostly coffee. Chocolate covered coffee beans. Avoids the bitter acridness that can come with this heavy amount of coffee. Some hazelnut and lesser vanilla. The mocha latte lingers nicely.

Well coating just to the right of medium body. Enough carbonation, not quite fine enough to be creamy.

Really liked this one. An after dinner drink that pulls no punches with the coffee. It is as advertised.

3.72/5  rDev -6.5%

4.75/5  rDev +19.3%

4.16/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

3.75/5  rDev -5.8%

4.3/5  rDev +8%

3.74/5  rDev -6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Opaque dark brown with little head. A non-overpowering coffee smell (the coffee drinker at the table said it was like Folger's Crystals). It has a solid but not overpowering coffee taste. It drinks smoothly. I'd order it again and I don't even like coffee.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Kaldi Imperial Coffee Stout from Quest Brewing Co.