Follow our progress ...

Kaldi Imperial Coffee Stout | Quest Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Added by thagr81us on 08-19-2013

Reviews: 18 | Ratings: 97
Reviews by jploving:
3.68/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

My brother and I took a little trip to the Growler Haus in Spartanburg SC.
It is a new establishment in our town and I have to give it 2 thumbs up!....
Greenville is a neighboring county and they have a new brewery...Quest Brewing Company.
Since I have yet to get over to the brewery itself, I (and my brother) were excited to see this on tap.
Poured up black with minimal light-tan head, which gave it a somewhat thin appearance.
I did not get a lot of coffee flavors from the aroma but more cocoa powder.
The taste is very good but not what I thought it would be...definitly cocoa powder, a mild coconut flavor and only a hint of coffee. There was a nice balance of bittering hops to accompany the sweetness-felt the bitterness as the liquid went down the gullett. The body was not in tune with the abv-a little to thin-but my guesstimate on the abv is that it is accurate-8% felt good on an empty stomach.
The beer was good-I certainly enjoyed it-but needs more coffee as the name suggests.
...I will include this note...when we were ordering the beer at the bar, a young lady was enjoying this same beer, and she stated that "it is a lot of coffee[flavor]"....so maybe my buds were just a little off this time....I think this beer will end up with a local following...
3.65 rating

These beers exploded in my car. The tops blew off of them and the contents emptied. The brewery will not respond and others are posting the same problem. This is an un-cool brewery to know about this and still sell the over carbonated cans. I gave the beer a bad rating because the only way to try it would be to suck on my headliner or carpet of my vehicle.

3.83/5  rDev -1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Damn good beer - the coffee overwhelms the taste, more like an iced coffee than a beer - but it tastes wonderful. It's also a bit thinner than I'd like in a stout. All that said, if you enjoy a coffee forward brew you can't go wrong with this one. I rated it just shy of 4 despite my personal preferences because the beer is damn good.

4.11/5  rDev +6.2%

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

3.96/5  rDev +2.3%

3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

4.37/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

"Kaldi was the Ethiopian goat-herder who discovered the coffee plant, according to popular legend. This stout is brewed with West End Coffee Company’s freshly-roasted beans and cacao nibs. The end result is a complex, smooth beer that will sure to intrigue the palette."

Served from tap into a shaker. Poured pitch black with a half finger light tan head that subsided to a minimal amount slowly. Maintained phenomenal lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, maple syrup, coffee, toffee, roasted malt, dark chocolate, and subtle nuttiness. The flavor was of sweet malt, maple syrup, coffee, nutty, roasted malt, dark chocolate, and earth. It had a medium feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was a pretty good brew. Based on my experience with this ones big brother I had earlier this year, I was really happy to see this one sitting on the tap list the other day. Very nice complexity going on in this one that made it very easy to drink and quite enjoyable. The ABV really doesn't play a role in this one at all (unless you drink too many of course). I could see this one getting quite a few people in trouble quite easily. Definitely worth your time seeking this one out. Tick.

3.46/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Tap at Grapevine. Super dark brown, near black. A nice viscosity to it. Light brown ring and some whisps on top.

Aroma, Roasty, heavy dark roast coffee and cocoa beans. It is nicely potent.

Taste, strong roast again, mostly coffee. Chocolate covered coffee beans. Avoids the bitter acridness that can come with this heavy amount of coffee. Some hazelnut and lesser vanilla. The mocha latte lingers nicely.

Well coating just to the right of medium body. Enough carbonation, not quite fine enough to be creamy.

Really liked this one. An after dinner drink that pulls no punches with the coffee. It is as advertised.

4.1/5  rDev +5.9%

3.94/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

4.12/5  rDev +6.5%

This beer exploded in my wife's jeep causing $500 worth of damage. They offered her a free case of beer the next time the rep came through. Who cares. The replacement of the headliner was 250 bucks plus professional cleaning of 250 bucks. All for a 5 dollar beer I never got to try. The brewery is ignoring our e-mails now. And I was told by a distributor that the cans were exploding inside the store I purchased it.
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Donald Richardson"
Date: Oct 9, 2015 12:22 PM
Subject: Kaldi Coffee Stout issue
To: <>
Cc:

Hi Michelle,

First off, I want to apologize for the problem you had with our Kaldi Coffee Stout. We are currently trying to refine our beers to better survive the hot summers here in the South. Although our cans specially say "Keep Refrigerated" on the side and we always store cold in our brewery and never have had problem number one (knock on wood). Our beer is very coarsely filtered to maintain maximum flavor, when the beer gets warm, fermentation might start again and on isolated cases has lead to can expansion and possibly popping the top like you experienced. We are diligently working on this here at the brewery to make our product the most stable that it can be to survive all variables that happen with distribution. I would like top offer you a free case of Kaldi to you next time our Sales Manager is up that way. We apologize for the mess it made but please understand that we are small brewery trying to work out some kinks. Thank you so much for the feedback and look forward to hearing back from you!

Cheers,
Don

Don Richardson
Brewmaster/ Owner

Gee thanks Don. I did'nt even get my "FREE" 505 dollar case of your exploding beer

Cheers!!!

Chris

3.88/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from the can into a snifter glass.

Booming and nearly gushing head. Deep and mocha dark brown colored though, but thick retention, and out of control. Thick deep red walnut brown colored body fills in the rest. Clumpy big, aggressive, huge chunks of ring lace all on the glass but too much so.

Aroma though gives what a big aggressive head and carbonation can do. Ripping coffee notes off the aroma, big and large. A mild sense of woody tobacco coming of the malts but also a decent amount of heat. Whispy airy grain, and borderline flour like sensing, somewhat fruity yeast like esters going along as well. Real interesting nose, and coffee large. Classic chocolate notes really not noticeable though for me.

Palate is quite a bit different. This is one of the most coffee rich and forward brews I've had. Overloaded coffee flavors in the mid palate wash, with a decent thickness and malt depth. Aftertaste though washes in thick sludgy coffee, like scraping the bottom of the pot. Malt hints of char and roast really get pulled out of this, but the coffee quality continues throughout, but with also some mild sourness as well and large lingering roast. Good solid palate feel, but missing a lot of stout diversity and character.

This has got to be the biggest coffee forward brew I've had to date. If that's your thing, you will be happy, but I would like much more diversity and control on this, and some different flavors to go along with it.

3.72/5  rDev -3.9%

4.4/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Funky Buddha Brewery snifter. No freshness date.

A- Pours a fully opaque black color with a full inch of medium brown head that retains well before becoming a thick ring around the edge of the glass and a half sheet of bubbly surface foam. Thick, resilient lacing clings to the glass.

S- Sweet milk chocolate with a sharp coffee aroma. Hint of smoke.

T- A very different coffee flavor than in your usual coffee stout. Tastes like they used Ethiopian coffee beans that are more tangy and acidic. It works phenomenally with the flavor profile though, as the chocolaty sweetness complements that tang very well. Super easy to drink for the ABV. There's also a yeasty quality lingering underneath the rest of the flavors that adds to the complexity. Bitter chocolate aftertaste.

M- Creamy and soft with medium carbonation and a full body.

O- A totally unique take on the coffee stout. The drinkability, flavor and complexity are all there, equaling deliciousness.

4.47/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Outstanding representation of coffee stout. Coffee is very evident and lovely. Good balance and the beer is great for barrel aging.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Kaldi Imperial Coffee Stout from Quest Brewing Co.